Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetero

Re: White supremacists march at UVA

Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:51 am

socalgeo wrote:
The shared responsibility bus left the station long ago and Maxine Waters drove it into a river.

Kind of leaves us with no where to go but deeper into the abyss.

Yep, it was definitely Maxine Waters who pushed us in to the abyss.

socalgeo wrote:
Just wait until mid September when Trump shuts down the government over the budget. The butt hurt on the left will be epic. And since the left has proven that they won't work with him he has absolutely nothing to loose. You should consider moving your 401k into all cash accounts because it's going to get rough.

You're a fool.

jetero

Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:53 am

pvjin wrote:
I don't see how destroying property and robbing stores exactly helps to fight racism and exploitation, and that's what antifa typically does. The whole movement mainly consists of angry anarchists, commies and criminals who blame the system for their own failures. They believe successful white men are the spawn of evil and cause of all misery in the world, which in fact makes them racist.

Have you conducted a survey?

salttee

Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:56 am

From the NYT

John F. Kelly, the White House chief of staff, on Tuesday during Mr. Trump’s news conference at Trump Tower

jetero

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:30 am

salttee wrote:
From the NYT

John F. Kelly, the White House chief of staff, on Tuesday during Mr. Trump’s news conference at Trump Tower

Well that pretty much says it all.

jetero

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:37 am

jetero wrote:
Dreadnought wrote:
What do you expect? After years of hearing people vociferously blame white people for all their woes (including those who have never said or done anything racist in their lives - being guilty of "white priviledge") obviously at some point you are going to have backlash. At first it will be a few genuine racists, but if this SJW shit continues they will be joined by more and more mainstream folks including those who have considered themselves liberal democrats. Social Justice by necessity means the sidelining of individual justice. If the SJWs get what they want, you are no longer to be punished or rewarded based on your own actions but because of your minority status (including the color of your skin).

Just what you expected and apologized for, DN. Guess it was the counterprotesters' fault for standing up for that absolutely nauseating idea of social justice. They had it coming after all!

Cat got your tongue, DN?

seahawk

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:24 am

I would even understand if some people feel that the liberal motivation to stop discrimination against non-whites has a bit turned into discrimination against white people, but that does not excuse waving the Nazi flag, because that says you do not want equality for all, it says you want white supremacy.

jetero

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:36 am

The "liberal motivation to stop discrimination against non-whites" hasn't worked. We can move on without being unnecessarily provocative.

(BTW, what in the holy f*ck is wrong with good intentions?)

jetero

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:41 am

This is where I come from

https://youtu.be/UG6xMglSMdk

tommy1808

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:10 am

seahawk wrote:
I would even understand if some people feel that the liberal motivation to stop discrimination against non-whites has a bit turned into discrimination against white people,.

Of course, that side of the balance sheet has its nut jobs too, those that think that payback is in order and whites should be discriminated against. But that is a minority. Of course the right is very proficient in expanding those few into whole groups they don´t like. There is some fraction of Muslims that are violent and willing to travel to fight for Islam, judging by the numbers of people going to fight for ISIS plausible estimates put those at 0.005% or less, but right wingers expand that onto all Muslims. .......

Which is only all to consistent with a racist mind set. Voting for a racists and claiming not to be one is about as believable as people claiming they only voted for Hitler because of highways and the jobs he promised to create... and there was no equivalent to the pussy grabbing tape or widely knows racists outbreaks, so it actually less an excuse.

best regards
Thomas

jetero

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:33 am

For the love of God why is "liberal" such a bad word?!

seahawk

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:33 am

tommy1808 wrote:
seahawk wrote:
I would even understand if some people feel that the liberal motivation to stop discrimination against non-whites has a bit turned into discrimination against white people,.

Of course, that side of the balance sheet has its nut jobs too, those that think that payback is in order and whites should be discriminated against. But that is a minority. Of course the right is very proficient in expanding those few into whole groups they don´t like. There is some fraction of Muslims that are violent and willing to travel to fight for Islam, judging by the numbers of people going to fight for ISIS plausible estimates put those at 0.005% or less, but right wingers expand that onto all Muslims. .......

Which is only all to consistent with a racist mind set. Voting for a racists and claiming not to be one is about as believable as people claiming they only voted for Hitler because of highways and the jobs he promised to create... and there was no equivalent to the pussy grabbing tape or widely knows racists outbreaks, so it actually less an excuse.

best regards
Thomas

I just wanted to point out, that seeing some problems in a certain field, does not mean you have to side with extremists. And seeing a tendency to some form of discrimination against white people does not mean you need to ally yourself with people proposing discrimination by white people against all others as a solution. This thread shows way too much Black and White thinking. If you are against Nazis, you are not automatically for Antifas. You can easily be against both, but driving a car into a group of people for political motivations is always a terrorist attack, no matter which political agenda the driver preferred and no matter to which political agenda the group of people belonged.
Last edited by seahawk on Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

jetero

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:36 am

seahawk wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
seahawk wrote:

best regards
Thomas

I just wanted to point out, that seeing some problems in a certain field, does not mean you have to side with extremists. And seeing a tendency to some form of discrimination against white people does not mean you need to ally yourself with people proposing discrimination by white people against all others as a solution. This thread shows way too much Black and White thinking. If you are against Nazis, you are not automatically for Antifas. You can easily be against both, but driving a car into a group of people for political motivations is always a terrorist attack, not matter which political agenda the driver preferred and no matter to which political agenda the group of people belonged.

"We can all agree it's not good to drive a car into people."

Seriously?! Are we at that point?

I don't even know what an antifa is. I've heard about it for the last month, still don't know what it is. It's a foil created by the nut job right. A distraction and a source of blame for what the right is doing.
Last edited by jetero on Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

seahawk

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:40 am

Well, so far the President has not called it a terrorist attack, so maybe we are not even at that point.

jetero

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:47 am

seahawk wrote:
Well, so far the President has not called it a terrorist attack, so maybe we are not even at that point.

Keep the faith

helhem

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:35 am

Antifas have been setting dumpsters on fire in Europe for decades. It's the first thing people think about when they hear the name. Not all of them do this but it mostly the same old left wing politics. People always make jokes about them as badly dressed hipster protesters. Those are always loosely affiliated groups of people with different kinds of affiliations or none at all. That is a joke compared to fascism 100 years ago. Same with the costume parade.

It is difficult to stop people crashing cars into crowds. But most of the time the police separate the protesters and anti-protesters. If you see such people at some place at the same time it is best to stay away. You might get beaten up by any people from both sides or the police. Look at the people you can guess how dangerous the protest is at this location. Protesting in NK and Berkeley comes with different risks. Even a local protest for better primary schools , farmers protest or truck drivers protest might have something nasty happening as one never knows what kind of people come out of the basement for this occasion. Just much less likely. Nazis different right wing groups and their counterparts have been beating each other up for like 100 years. No surprises here. They are more than happy to show their battle scars from the beatings they have received. Opposing something in such a situation is not entirely without danger even if you keep away from the the heat of it. And that small part is the one single part that always ends in the media. One single molotov or cobblestone can have nasty effects, I wouldn't park my car anywhere near in the places where this is going on. And I would board up my business as well. That is the reason why avoiding protests like this is a good idea.

pvjin

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:39 am

lebda wrote:
Won't somebody think of the poor knocked over garbage bins?

I'm more worried that some anarchist goes and burns my car as I'm a white man with middle-class parents.

lebda wrote:
The system is broken. The rich get richer and the middle class and poor get poorer. Everything that the upper class takes credit for and gets richer on is built off of the backs of the working class who often times can barely survive off of one job. When the poor, especially poor non-whites, are systematically disenfranchised, we have the right to stand up and tell the people that screw us over every day that we won't take their crap anymore. And yeah actually, some of those successful white men are bad. Not because they're white, but because they use their privilege as a tool to silence those who criticize them, or worse yet, completely turn a blind eye to suffering.

Sure it's broken especially in the US, but I think there are better ways to fix it than blaming white men for everything and destroying property.

lebda wrote:
I responded to somebody else who said something similar earlier, but comparing antifa to Bolsheviks or calling them successors to the Soviets is not only wrong but historically inaccurate. Anarcho-communists do not believe in statism and have long criticized and even fought the USSR.

I'm not exactly convinced that those antifa anarcho-commies wouldn't create a state of their own if they got a chance. Anybody with half a brain knows that you need a state for any stable, safe and successful society. Somebody must have control, somebody must be able to enforce laws as otherwise stronger will always be fully free to take advantage of the weaker.

Either "anarcho-communism" is just a way to create chaos in present state to make it collapse in favour of a new state, or anarcho-commies are even more naive than I thought. Or perhaps there are both kind of people in antifa.

dtw2hyd

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:07 am

Whose brilliant idea was it to arrange yesterday's press conference? Q&A session was worse than a kindergarten class room. Trump was unhinged. I think four CEOs quitting his panel set him off.

Also poor Kelly, Trump took down more generals in a short period than any other foreign force.

tommy1808

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:30 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
I think four CEOs quitting his panel set him off..

Now we know: CEOs resigning from his panel, because they don´t want to work for a racist Nazi sympathizer are bad people, but there are some very good Nazi´s. I am not sure what a very good Nazi is, but i presume it is someone that gives kids chocolate before shoving them into the showers or something like that.

best regards
Thomas

einsteinboricua

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 am

seahawk wrote:

I find it fascinating that a person who spent months decrying the lack of the use of the term "radical Islam" to refer to terrorists is not willing to call out their side either.

Makes me more convinced that Trump and the GOP are the Make America Feel Good Party:

Saying "radical Islam" makes them feel all giddy inside.
Saying "white terrorism" does not. That driver wasn't a terrorist, oh no. Just a lone wolf. And the neo-Nazis and neo-Confederates? They're people with civic zeal (aka. patriots). See? All better now. :cloudnine:

tommy1808

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:57 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
See? All better now. :cloudnine:

Well, you are talking about people that honestly believe that Hilary sold Uranium to the Russians, the Obama withdrew US troops from Iraq, was born in Kenya and is a Muslim.

Care about reality is non existent, they want to live in North Korea (you know, where state propaganda tells you NK is the best, most powerful,. ... yadda yadda).

best regards
Thomas

Freakysh

Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:11 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
See? All better now. :cloudnine:

Care about reality is non existent, they want to live in North Korea (you know, where state propaganda tells you NK is the best, most powerful,. ... yadda yadda).

best regards
Thomas

You think that self pride began from trump?

Americans have been self imposed world's greatest at everything for decades.

The US and North Korean psyche aren't that far apart :lol:

NoTime

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:18 pm

salttee wrote:
NoTime wrote:
Perhaps you two should pay a little more attention to the "protests"... communist flags and slogans abound, and did long before the white power goobers started carrying nazi flags to their protests.
That's a strawman argument.

:lol:

It's not a strawman argument, friend. You claimed this wasn't a battle between Fascists and Communists when, in fact, it is. I was explaining that to you. It's a battle between two unhinged groups, both of which should be ignored.

Straight up you are a defender of Nazis and bigots, just like Trump.
That's a fact.

I've said multiple times that both sides are unhinged and consist of lunatics. But, well, since we're dealing in "facts" - Straight up, you are a defender of Communists and bigots, just like everyone else on the far left. That's a fact.

(See how easily this game is played?)

Tugger

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:25 pm

socalgeo wrote:
With respect, I have not defended this murderer. You are making that up.

I'll accept that you may not be actively intentionally defending a murderer, but some of the comments (and Trump is certainly highlighting this) are veering into "victim blaming".

"Both sides are at fault" "Sure there were nazi-wannabes and racists there but if the others that confronted those nazi-wannabes and supremists hadn't been there then people would not have died" "Some of those white supremacists are mighty fine people...." those things veer into "If that girl hadn't gone to that bar she wouldn't have been attacked. Sure that guy came onto her but if she hadn't slapped him and told him to leave then the attack wouldn't have happened", "He was a good person person, he didn't mean to kill the guy, if the person had just left they wouldn't have been killed". That begins to defend the actions of those that are in the wrong, that start out in the wrong.

That people I think of as reasonable and smart people start to go down that road? I don't get that. It is not a good road to take and I want to essentially "slap someone out of it". Yes people got confrontational, but that does not excuse anything. So why make it an issue, why demand that people first acknowledge that rather than simply accept that nazis and separatists etc. were in the wrong and were essentially itching for a fight?

Tugg

NoTime

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:26 pm

jetero wrote:
I don't even know what an antifa is. I've heard about it for the last month, still don't know what it is. It's a foil created by the nut job right. A distraction and a source of blame for what the right is doing.

Pure, unadulterated ignorance on your part.

But, perhaps this is why the left is so unhinged about Trump's presser. When the media is running interference for far-left groups like antifa (by barely covering their actions and/or attributing them to "youths"), people such as yourself can simply pretend that it doesn't exist. But, with the President actually condemning their actions, then that is perhaps forcing some folks to take notice.

Regardless, those last two sentences from you are painfully ignorant and, assuming others on this forum are just as ill-informed, it explains quite a lot about this thread.

Tugger

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:28 pm

NoTime wrote:
It's not a strawman argument, friend. You claimed this wasn't a battle between Fascists and Communists when, in fact, it is.
[...]
That's a fact.

Oh so now you are making up communists? Seriously show me your source and prove that this was the case, that an active communist group decided to organize and assault those poor fascists.

I'll wait.
Tugg

ElPistolero

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:54 pm

NoTime wrote:
jetero wrote:

But, perhaps this is why the left is so unhinged about Trump's presser. When the media is running interference for far-left groups like antifa (by barely covering their actions and/or attributing them to "youths"), people such as yourself can simply pretend that it doesn't exist. But, with the President actually condemning their actions, then that is perhaps forcing some folks to take notice.

Regardless, those last two sentences from you are painfully ignorant and, assuming others on this forum are just as ill-informed, it explains quite a lot about this thread.

In fairness, it's not really clear what antifa is. By most accounts, it's a loose alliance of anarchist and leftist groups with no coherent organization and no real ideology other than to - as its name suggests - fight fascism.

Its not clear that this antifa alliance would exist in the absence of nazis/fascists, but it's clear that the latter would exist regardless of whether or not antifa exists. I suppose that's the key difference between both groups. One is ideological with a clear , proudly racist agenda, the other is reactionary with no clear agenda other than disrupting events it disagrees with.

Are antifa's violent methods worth condemning? Certainly. That's beyond doubt. The question is: do antifa's methods mean that the anti-fascist message is no different to the fascist message? I suspect that's what this issue is really about - the reluctance to condemn the nazi message by equivocating about the method used by some anti-fascists. (Note that Fascism/Nazism on the other hand, are worthy of condemnation even when they're propagated peacefully).

I think most people agree that an anti-fascist message is inherently superior to a fascist one. Indeed, the Prime Minister of your closest ally said as much today. To wit: "I see no equivalence between those who propound fascist views and those who oppose them."

DocLightning

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:00 pm

The President called Neo-Nazis "Nice People."

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU who voted for him voted for...

...that.

jetero

Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:32 pm

NoTime wrote:

jetero wrote:
FF, SoCalGeo, pvjin, DIRECTFLT, I don't agree with your "lifestyle," but continue to feed from the trough of needless provocation so you can feel as discriminated against as people who really are.

Ooops, forgot NoTime!

Sorry, bud.

ER757

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:19 pm

Been reading this topic since the beginning and was going refrain from posting, but against better judgement here goes - so much to comment on don't know where to start but I'll try

First and foremost - anyone who espouses the belief that one race, ethnic group or religion is superior to others is seriously screwed up mentally. Anyone who can even remotely give credence to Nazis or the KKK is beyond redemption and I can only refer to those who showed up in Charlottesville to defend or join in with those groups as mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging cretins.

There are most definitely folks on the far left end of the spectrum who are whacked out too - we see those morons every year on Mayday here in Seattle. Their only goal seems to be to cause chaos, loot stores and burn stuff down. The only positive thing I'll say about them is they aren't advocating for ethnic or racial supremacy and maybe that makes them somewhat less egregious than the above.

As someone mentioned far up-thread, there were people on both sides in Charlottesville who were there spoiling for a fight, and they got it. I think a lot of the counter-protesters were legitimately there to peacefully show their condemnation of the "white nationalists" but the ones who weren't led to the inevitable conflict. It's a shame as I feel it is a just cause to call out the haters as stupid, backward-thinking Neandrethals but when you have people stooping to their level, the cause is tainted.

Now as for Trump - he whiffed on a gimme over the weekend when he could have just condemned the KKK and Nazis instead of making his "on many sides" remark at the end of the initial statement. Then at the presser, he should have just said something to the effect of "refer to my statement on Monday" to questions thrown at him. Instead he goes into this tirade and argues with reporters - he actually made a few valid points in his rant, but the way he went about it made it pretty impossible to weed them out. This guy just doesn't know when to shut the hell up. He is so easily goaded into an outburst it makes me very fearful of what may happen in an international crisis when a foreign leader is baiting him

727LOVER

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:23 pm

Tugger

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:28 pm

727LOVER wrote:

Nope.

Tugg

casinterest

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:30 pm

Trump has just disbanded the Manufacturing council, and the strategy and policy council. Apparently he didn't want to deal with the fallout of more CEO's leaving on their own.
Trump's lack of moral judgement is going to destroy the GOP agenda, and perhaps the party.

These are business leaders folks, the same folks that trump is touting about jobs. Trump has lost credibility among those in the leadership of the very capitalistic organizations the Republican party holds dear.

Hannity has retreated to his Clinton emails and Alt-Left blame, while Limbaugh is twisting hard on the Alt Left blame, but neither is giving the Trump an ounce of the scrutiny that should be heaped on someone that has given such comfort to racists and bigots.

salttee

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:37 pm

Tugger wrote:
Oh so now you are making up communists? Seriously show me your source and prove that this was the case, that an active communist group decided to organize and assault those poor fascists.

No Time may as well be saying "space aliens". He is devoid of rational argument but persists. That's the Trump base in a nutshell.

727LOVER

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:39 pm

casinterest wrote:
Trump has just disbanded the Manufacturing council, and the strategy and policy council. Apparently he didn't want to deal with the fallout of more CEO's leaving on their own.
Trump's lack of moral judgement is going to destroy the GOP agenda, and perhaps the party.

These are business leaders folks, the same folks that trump is touting about jobs. Trump has lost credibility among those in the leadership of the very capitalistic organizations the Republican party holds dear.

Hannity has retreated to his Clinton emails and Alt-Left blame, while Limbaugh is twisting hard on the Alt Left blame, but neither is giving the Trump an ounce of the scrutiny that should be heaped on someone that has given such comfort to racists and bigots.

One of the CEOs that had resigned was the head of United Technologies, which is the parent of Carrier, Inc. That comapny gave Trump his first victory shortly after the election, remember?

SOBHI51

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:44 pm

I promised myself never to interfere with American politics, but can somebody explain why the white nationalist came armed to the teeth if it was supposed to be a peaceful demonstration?
See minute 19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P54sP0Nlngg

maortega15

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:48 pm

DocLightning wrote:
The President called Neo-Nazis "Nice People."

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU who voted for him voted for...

...that.

I voted for Hillary doc :hyper:

tommy1808

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:49 pm

727LOVER wrote:
That comapny gave Trump his first victory shortly after the election, remember?

His "victory", since es was a faked win.

Best regards
Thomas

salttee

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:53 pm

Buy Campbell Soup the next time you're at the store.

The Campbell CEO did more than quit the council, she issued this press release:

“Racism and murder are unequivocally reprehensible and are not morally equivalent to anything else that happened in Charlottesville.
I believe the president should have been — and still needs to be — unambiguous on that point.”

That's when Trump cancelled the economic councils.

Denise Morrison is her name.

seb146

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:56 pm

I don't know if taking down Confederate statues is a good idea. I think it may lend more fodder to the violent right, neo Nazis, and KKK. Plus, I don't think we should be erasing our past, however bad it was.

And, no, the Rainbow flag is not as bad or worse as the Nazi flag. How many people are made second-class citizens because of the Rainbow flag?

And, no, BLM is not just as bad as or wose than neo Nazis or KKK. Again, how many people does BLM want to make second class citizens?

https://thinkprogress.org/there-is-no-c ... fb222ed38/

The so-called "patriots" who claim to love this country are fighting for two countries who lost their respective wars. And the minority president supports them as well.

maortega15

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:00 pm

BLM is not a hate movement. They just want equal opportunity and not get shot and killed unarmed.

salttee

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:01 pm

seb146 wrote:
I don't know if taking down Confederate statues is a good idea............ I don't think we should be erasing our past.............

Then perhaps we should be erecting statues to Bin Laden? He also took up arms against the United States of America.

tommy1808

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:05 pm

seb146 wrote:
I don't know if taking down Confederate statues is a good idea.

I don't think it is, at least wholeslale. There should just be historical context provided to them. Sort of like " this statue depicts general anyname, he rejected the values this nation stands for strongly enough to kill Americans over it." in more detail.

You should make sure that everybody knows they where not just on the losing side of a war, but on the losing side of history. Just like we didn't take down every single symbolic Nazi construction of concentration camps. The latter are now museums, some of the former have found perfect use. The Nazi parade ground in Nürnberg is now a parking lot.....

Best regards
Thomas

pvjin

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:06 pm

seb146 wrote:
I don't know if taking down Confederate statues is a good idea. I think it may lend more fodder to the violent right, neo Nazis, and KKK. Plus, I don't think we should be erasing our past, however bad it was.

Here we agree. I think it's always a wrong approach to remove symbols and other memorials related to uncomfortable and evil things of the past. It's better to remember the past and try learn from it. Extreme censorship like what they have in Germany never helps to eradicate dumb ideas anywhere near as well as open debate where said ideas can be proved wrong to anybody who actually listens.

tommy1808

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:08 pm

pvjin wrote:
l as open debate where said ideas can be proved wrong to anybody who actually listens.

There is no limit on what you can debate about the Nazi's in Germany.

Best regards
Thomas

readytotaxi

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:12 pm

I do feel kinda sorry for America in the value of the President that they elected, he is a business man not Presidental material. However he was voted in and you have to respect that. I have visited the country many times since 1989 and feel it is a wonderful country, not perfect by any means, which country is? But I do feel that the proud heritage is being sullied by this term of office. Running a country is not like running a game show, you can't go back and do it again if you got it wrong first time, it's up there. I do worry about the 4yr term and what it will bring to the rest of the world, hope a rocky start can be smoothed and diplomacy can once again lead the way.

Tugger

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:12 pm

salttee wrote:

“Racism and murder are unequivocally reprehensible and are not morally equivalent to anything else that happened in Charlottesville.
I believe the president should have been — and still needs to be — unambiguous on that point.”

Not just her, The Wal-mart CEO also came out challenging him:
“As we watched the events and the response from President Trump over the weekend, we too felt that he missed a critical opportunity to help bring our country together by unequivocally rejecting the appalling actions of white supremacists,” Douglas McMillon, the Walmart C.E.O.

But I thought Trump stated he could replace any of these "grandstanding" CEO's quickly and easily? What happened to that?

Tugg

pvjin

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:14 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
There is no limit on what you can debate about the Nazi's in Germany.

Yet somehow if I made a WW2 flight simulator I wouldn't be allowed to supply aircraft models with historically accurate swastikas for German customers. Unless I'm mistaken also it's illegal to deny that the holocaust happened. If that's the case how can you have a proper debate if the other side isn't even allowed to say his opinion, even if it's moronic?

Tugger

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:17 pm

pvjin wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Here we agree. I think it's always a wrong approach to remove symbols and other memorials related to uncomfortable and evil things of the past. It's better to remember the past and try learn from it. Extreme censorship like what they have in Germany never helps to eradicate dumb ideas anywhere near as well as open debate where said ideas can be proved wrong to anybody who actually listens.

Absolutely don't hide or shy away from the past. The problem is monuments were put up specifically to celebrate the past and remind blacks "who's in charge" and who was really in control. So if we are going to be honest then lets erect statues to slavery and the idea of disintegrating the USA, the values these people fought for.

Tugg

Dutchy

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:20 pm

casinterest wrote:

Tugger wrote:
salttee wrote:

Not just her, The Wal-mart CEO also came out challenging him:
“As we watched the events and the response from President Trump over the weekend, we too felt that he missed a critical opportunity to help bring our country together by unequivocally rejecting the appalling actions of white supremacists,” Douglas McMillon, the Walmart C.E.O.

But I thought Trump stated he could replace any of these "grandstanding" CEO's quickly and easily? What happened to that?

Tugg

@realDonaldTrump
Rather than putting pressure on the businesspeople of the Manufacturing Council & Strategy & Policy Forum, I am ending both. Thank you all!

Everyone is distancing themselves from this president.

If it is going to be Russia connections, one of his many lawsuits against him, abuse of power, treatment of the media/justice, women's issues, nothing gets done, broken promises, endangering the world because of climate and now the North Korea situation and Venezuela. Take your pick, why you don't like him and Congress take your pick why you want to impeach them.

Aesma

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:27 pm

seb146 wrote:

Didn't the US take down statues in Iraq ?