1337Delta764
Topic Author

PGA Championship moving to May in 2019

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:06 pm

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/202 ... moves-2019

It's official, the PGA Championship will be moving to May in 2019. This in turn will move the Players Championship back to March.

I wonder how this will affect the "Pink Out" Sunday for the Players Championship now that it will no longer be played on Mother's Day weekend. The PGA Championship will be played the week after Mother's Day from what I read. If St. Patrick's Day happens to occur during the Players Championship, will there be a "Green Out" day?
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

LittleFokker

Re: PGA Championship moving to May in 2019

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:23 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
I wonder how this will affect the "Pink Out" Sunday for the Players Championship now that it will no longer be played on Mother's Day weekend. The PGA Championship will be played the week after Mother's Day from what I read. If St. Patrick's Day happens to occur during the Players Championship, will there be a "Green Out" day?

The "Pink Out" that you describe was never a formal thing - many pros did not participate. What each player wears is up to his/her clothing manufacturer that they endorse. Some of them may not have a pink color in their repertoire. Whatever tournament ends up finishing on Mother's Day might take over that tradition, and many players might do it anyways because they want to.

As for the Green Out on St. Patrick's Day, I doubt you would see a green out...it's mostly redundant, doesn't look good on a golf course, and it's not that important of a holiday. The Florida tournaments are played in March and I've yet to see that happen.

The big reason behind the move is that FedEx has been spending a ton of money endorsing the PGATour and it's season ending 4 tournament Cup series, and they're tired of getting those events destroyed in the ratings by the NFL behemoth. The Tour has been wanting to end the season by Labor Day for quite sometime, but it's tricky to get all the pieces in place to make it happen. A big piece of that was getting the PGA of America to move it's signature event to May instead of August (the PGA has built a marketing campaign around being the final major - "Glory's Last shot"). I'll be curious to see what happens to the PGA's Club Pro Championship, which I believe was traditionally played in May, and the top 20-30 finishers (has changed over the years) would earn an invite to the big tournament. Will they move that event or have the top finishers carry over to next year?
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre