Braybuddy
Topic Author

Unknown female followers on Flickr

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:12 am

In the last couple of weeks I've had unknown females from unknown locations faving pics and following me on Flickr. For a general photography site they strangely only seem to be intersted in posting selfies, and sometimes they forget to put all their clothes on. I've been on Flickr for years and have never found this before, so before I start blocking them, can someone explain what exactly is going on here? Why are they doing this and how do they benefit?

Tugger

Re: Unknown female followers on Flickr

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:27 am

My guess is it's a scam and they "spam" many account holders waiting for the lonely schlubs that will reach back out to them. I am sure for just a little cash (or bitcoin in today's world) they can show you much more, a do things for you, and even send you things. There are millions of lonely photo fans out there just waiting for someone special to come along.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:49 am

Tugger wrote:
My guess is it's a scam and they "spam" many account holders waiting for the lonely schlubs that will reach back out to them. I am sure for just a little cash (or bitcoin in today's world) they can show you much more, a do things for you, and even send you things. There are millions of lonely photo fans out there just waiting for someone special to come along.

Tugg

Lovely. The poor little things could do with some decent clothing so I might just forgo some luxuries to pay for something to cover them up.

TheF15Ace

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:55 am

Well on instagram at least it's used to promote their own accounts. They like a couple of photos and/or follow you hoping you'll check them out, find their page interesting and follow them in return. Almost all of these follows are only for a couple of days before they unfollow you and you most probably won't notice. Note that these pages always advertising some product or the other and the more followers/views/reach you have the more they can charge for an ad-post.

I'm not sure how often this is done on flickr, if at all. But it is most probably either this or Tugger's theory.

TWA772LR

Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:20 am

I get at least 5 Facebook friend requests a week from ladies with profiles like those. I click on the profile photo and it displays a link in the caption to some live camera adult site. And the FB profiles are usually less than a week old.

It just reinforces a phrase that I coined but cannot post on this site. If youd like to know it, PM me.
Eat 'em up Kats!

scbriml

Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:45 am

Braybuddy wrote:
In the last couple of weeks I've had unknown females from unknown locations faving pics and following me on Flickr. For a general photography site they strangely only seem to be intersted in posting selfies, and sometimes they forget to put all their clothes on. I've been on Flickr for years and have never found this before, so before I start blocking them, can someone explain what exactly is going on here? Why are they doing this and how do they benefit?

Yeah, I get the same thing on Instagram. It's hilarious to think that these young women are actually interested in anything to do with me. :rotfl: :old:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

ChrisKen

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:28 am

Vast majority of it is automated (use of which is restricted on most platforms).
If it's obvious it's just to spam or garner followers then just hit the report button. Once a few do the account is investigated and shutdown.
Of course they just set up another one but that's the platforms problem.

Revelation

Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:31 am

scbriml wrote:
Yeah, I get the same thing on Instagram. It's hilarious to think that these young women are actually interested in anything to do with me. :rotfl: :old:

It's quite likely that they don't want to do things with older men, it's their pimp that wants them to do things with older men...
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

scbriml

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:11 pm

Revelation wrote:
It's quite likely that they don't want to do things with older men, it's their pimp that wants them to do things with older men...

Harsh! :fight:

My glasses do have a something of a rosy tint to them! :wink2:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

LittleFokker

Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:03 pm

I don't use my Twitter account all that much, but I have had a number of similar spam accounts follow me (I don't return the favor). Is there any harm to spam accounts following you, or should I report them?
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

Moose135

Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:15 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
The poor little things could do with some decent clothing so I might just forgo some luxuries to pay for something to cover them up.

KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

ChrisKen

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:26 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
I don't use my Twitter account all that much, but I have had a number of similar spam accounts follow me (I don't return the favor). Is there any harm to spam accounts following you, or should I report them?

Report them under the relevant option. (Block/mute as req.)
They do this to circumvent the rules on posting limits, follow/follower ratios, automation, spamming and generating false interest + popularity stats.

coolian2

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:37 pm

I've started getting a bunch of them on Facebook lately. Just as they'd gone quiet on Twitter.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/CRJ-700/-900

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:56 pm

Hmmmm . . . there have been six in the last two weeks. Up to then I've never had any trouble. Also, strangely, a pic (not taken by me) which I had uploaded to Imgur had suddenly appeared in my Flickr photostream and had been faved by a guy I don't know. I keep my account fairly private and have only a handful of followers since I created it a couple of years ago. Now there's an explosion of activity, for some reason. Very strange . . .

treetreeseven

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:51 am

It's bots.

fill fill fill fill fill fill fill

skywaymanaz

Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:03 am

I'd like to think some of them are just lonely women looking for a man. But yes it is depressing how often they are pushing a NSFW website. Old news on Twitter, FB, Skype. I don't have instagram but not surprised they are there too.