Revelation
Topic Author

Millennials Unearth an Amazing Hack to Get Free TV: The Antenna

Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:00 am

From WSJ via SlashDot at https://entertainment.slashdot.org/stor ... he-antenna

Dan Sisco has discovered a technology that allows him to access half a dozen major TV channels, completely free. "I was just kind of surprised that this is technology that exists" says Mr. Sisco, 28 years old. "It's been awesome. It doesn't log out and it doesn't skip." Let's hear a round of applause for TV antennas, often called "rabbit ears," a technology invented roughly seven decades ago, long before there was even a cord to be cut, which had been consigned to the technology trash can along with cassette tapes and VCRs. The antenna is mounting a quiet comeback, propelled by a generation that never knew life before cable television, and who primarily watch Netflix , Hulu and HBO via the internet. Antenna sales in the U.S. are projected to rise 7 percent in 2017 to nearly 8 million units, according to the Consumer Technology Association, a trade group. Mr. Sisco, an M.B.A. student in Provo, Utah, made his discovery after inviting friends over to watch the Super Bowl in 2014. The online stream he found to watch the game didn't have regular commercials -- disappointing half of his guests who were only interested in the ads. "An antenna was not even on my radar," he says. He went online and discovered he could buy one for $20 and watch major networks like ABC, NBC, Fox and CBS free.

Neat hack, eh?
The gun is NOT a precious symbol of freedom
It is a deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence

Airstud

Re: Millennials Unearth an Amazing Hack to Get Free TV: The Antenna

Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:20 am

"roughly seven decades ago" is when commercial TV broadcasting began in the United States. The technology had already been around for quite a few years before that.
Pancakes are delicious.

TWA772LR

Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:22 am

No way! This is awesome!

Jokes aside, I can see this as the return of the basic cable revolution. There is an HD antenna you plu into the TV and you get HD local channels and some others within an X mile radius. Couple that with smart TVs gaining Hulu, Netflix, Amazon FIre TV, and Apple TV, I'd be shaking if I were AT&T, Comcast, Time Warner, and SuddenLink.
"It's not getting to the land of the nonrev that's the problem, it's getting back." ~~Captain Hector Barbossa
The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer.

Revelation
Topic Author

Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:31 am

Bottom line is TV antennas work a lot better with HDTVs than most people (millennial or otherwise) would think. There are web sites that let you plug in your address and then show you how good a signal you should expect to get. For me, I am around 50 miles away from the big cluster of TV transmitters near Boston, and I am getting all the TV that I can consume for free, but to be honest, I spend around 75% of my viewing time on YouTube looking at all kinds of documentaries and other geeky things, 20% on Netflix and only 5% on OTA TV (usually watching documentaries or geeky things from PBS). That will change as soon as NFL Football comes around again in a few weeks.

seb146

Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:50 am

Here is another life hack for millennials:

To avoid the high cost and unstable data connection for Pandora, listen to FM radio...
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter

coolian2

Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:58 am

Cool, and if your country has shut down the analogue network, how do you propose mocking millennials then?

Yaawwwn.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/CRJ-700/-900

Airstud

Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:03 am

coolian2 wrote:
Cool, and if your country has shut down the analogue network, how do you propose mocking millennials then?

Yaawwwn.

Er, with the ubiquitous availability of - you know - DTV antennas?
Pancakes are delicious.

coolian2

Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:06 am

Strictly speaking that doesn't qualify as "free" now, does it?
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/CRJ-700/-900

Airstud

Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:22 am

Yes it does.

For online content, you pay for whatever device you're using to access the net, plus a monthly charge for net access.

DTV has no monthly access charges and no charge for content.
Pancakes are delicious.

Mir

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:11 am

I've had two of the things for three years now. They've worked great - I don't use one of them any more, but only because I upgraded to cable internet and basic cable TV came with it (I get the same channels, but with the addition of a DVR which is nice sometimes).

So I guess I can say I was into antennas before they were cool. Do I win the millennial game?
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Flighty

Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:47 am

I don't really watch TV, but when I do, I use an antenna. And there are some weird channels. It is this orphan technology with its own economy. The Movies! network and Grit network are weird.

But really, our TVs remain off 99.9% of the time. Too much work to turn on a TV unless you are watching something together.

B777LRF

Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:18 am

Flighty wrote:
Too much work to turn on a TV ..

Elaborate, please? In my world, and every other world I know of, it's a question of picking up the remote, pointing it at the idiot box and pressing a single button. I wouldn't define that as work, let alone too much of it!
From receips and radials over straight pipes to big fans - been there, done that, got the hearing defects to prove

skywaymanaz

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:52 am

DTV does not work very well for me. I have a ground floor condo though and a building went up across the street right between me and the broadcast antennas right around the time of the conversion. I can get most channels just well enough for the box to find them and remap from their real channel numbers to the fake channel numbers everyone remembers from the analog days. Almost all suffer from the cliff effect repeatedly over and over. Very annoying and not really a way around it by HOA rules other than cable as the satellite arc would be blocked by the same building.

jetwet1

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:09 am

B777LRF wrote:
Flighty wrote:

Elaborate, please? In my world, and every other world I know of, it's a question of picking up the remote, pointing it at the idiot box and pressing a single button. I wouldn't define that as work, let alone too much of it!

He means work as in what you do to pay the bills.

skywaymanaz wrote:
Very annoying and not really a way around it by HOA rules other than cable as the satellite arc would be blocked by the same building.

Tell your HOA to stick it, if you can find a way you can do it, as long as it doesn't infringe on a public use part of your development. I went through this with a previous HOA, Federal law trumps HOA bylaws. Google OTARD rule

skywaymanaz

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:14 am

jetwet1 wrote:
Tell your HOA to stick it, if you can find a way you can do it, as long as it doesn't infringe on a public use part of your development. I went through this with a previous HOA, Federal law trumps HOA bylaws. Google OTARD rule

Except that there is no part of my condo that isn't shaded by that building so I'd have to mount an antenna or dish on someone else's property.

Airstud

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:47 am

B777LRF wrote:
Flighty wrote:

Elaborate, please? In my world, and every other world I know of, it's a question of picking up the remote

Exactly!! You have to pick it all the way up!!! :yawn:
Pancakes are delicious.

bhill

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:53 pm

It is pretty cool the image quality of broadcast digital...I remember the rabbit ear days when we only could get THREE UHF stations in Eastern Washington....two dials...upper one had VHF, lower one had UHF, and you put yer TV on channel 2 or 3 to play PONG.....
Carpe Pices

Aesma

Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:59 pm

In France either you are covered by free to air DTV, or you get a check from the state helping you buy a sat dish to get the same channels (a couple dozens).

No need to use a dish in my case, the whole development has a big ass antenna distributed to all the surrounding buildings and houses.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

treetreeseven

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:05 pm

seb146 wrote:

To avoid the high cost and unstable data connection for Pandora, listen to FM radio...

FM radio is a consolidated wasteland with about 1% of the diversity in music as can be found online.

seb146

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:27 pm

treetreeseven wrote:
seb146 wrote:

FM radio is a consolidated wasteland with about 1% of the diversity in music as can be found online.

Yes, I know, but reading "life hacks" on different sites made me think of that.

There are some very good public radio stations that play local and alternative music, but those are generally in larger markets. KRCB here in the Bay Area and KNHC in Seattle are two that come to mind. There used to be a good one based in (I think) Santa Barbara that covered all of Southern California that I enjoyed listening to when I would drive across the Mojave Desert. But, yes, by and large, FM radio is pretty generic.
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter

treetreeseven

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:40 am

seb146 wrote:
treetreeseven wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Yes, I know, but reading "life hacks" on different sites made me think of that.

There are some very good public radio stations that play local and alternative music, but those are generally in larger markets. KRCB here in the Bay Area and KNHC in Seattle are two that come to mind. There used to be a good one based in (I think) Santa Barbara that covered all of Southern California that I enjoyed listening to when I would drive across the Mojave Desert. But, yes, by and large, FM radio is pretty generic.

Cool stuff. I'm now replying to you about this in 2 threads ;) but I enjoy streaming KCRW-HD2, KEXP, and KXRY. I tried looking up some of my old favorites from the east coast but they're either gone, changed formats, or became crappy over the years.

Flighty

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:04 am

Airstud wrote:
B777LRF wrote:
Flighty wrote:

Elaborate, please? In my world, and every other world I know of, it's a question of picking up the remote

Exactly!! You have to pick it all the way up!!! :yawn:

I guess one thing you probably figured out is I have a laptop or something, so since most content is on computers or tablets now, those are the main platform to consume content -- for me... the TVs just sit there and remain off. More so now than 8-9 year ago, basically as DVDs and cable TV reached their maximum and began a slow decline out of the mainstream. And I think both technologies (Blu ray and cable TV) will vanish, and TV watching will decrease.

DIRECTFLT

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:21 am

Revelation wrote:
Neat hack, eh?

Every so often a full page ad is run in the newspapers touting a "wonder box" that allows you get free HD TV !!!! Of course, it's just a F-ing antenna. I assume a 30 year old antenna would pull in HDTV just like the latest antennas do...

I have a $50 RCA ANT-751 antenna mounted in my attic for UHF and VHF reception. I found the "sweet spot" to get all of the main channels and most of the low power channels that I wanted.

I'm about 22 miles from the main transmission tower array. I have a friend that lives 5 miles from the array, and he gets all of the main TV stations with a $1.50 antenna from a Dollar Store.

Before I cut the cable TV, what burned me was that the cable delivery system is rigged so that you cannot opt out of receiving local channels. Why is that a big deal? Through Govt. laws and regulations, the local TV companies have been able to charge the cable companies fees to broadcast their stations, and those fees are passed onto the consumers, regardless of what kind of cable package you have. It's a line item fee outside of your "package". And, the local stations keep raising their fees... So happy to not be paying for something I get for free.

And, BTY, the uncompressed HD picture resolution from the antenna surpasses the resolution cable TV delivers.

And, the antenna sound is also delivered with full Dolby Digital multi-channel audio. PBS even delivers in 6.1, but I have a 5.1 receiver...
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

tommy1808

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:39 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
[And, BTY, the uncompressed HD picture resolution from the antenna surpasses the resolution cable TV delivers..

Depends, if they still use A/53 Part 4:2009 picture quality won´t be that good, if it is A/72 Part 1:2008 it should usually be better.

I watch via antenna as well, but LTE ....

best regards
Thomas
NIKV69 wrote:
The race is over. Moore has over 50% of the vote with just about half the votes in. Jones can't overcome that. McConnell has 10am meeting tomorrow so they can get this guy removed. At least the seat stays Republican. That is the important thing.
:D

Airstud

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:24 am

tommy1808 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
[And, BTY, the uncompressed HD picture resolution from the antenna surpasses the resolution cable TV delivers..

Depends, if they still use A/53 Part 4:2009 picture quality won´t be that good, if it is A/72 Part 1:2008 it should usually be better.

best regards
Thomas

Does that apply equally to ATSC (which we use here in North America) and DVB?
Pancakes are delicious.

tommy1808

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:36 am

Airstud wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Does that apply equally to ATSC (which we use here in North America) and DVB?

Yes.. MPEG 2 needs really high data rates for a good HD picture, h.264 or 65 much much less.

Best regards
Thomas
NIKV69 wrote:
The race is over. Moore has over 50% of the vote with just about half the votes in. Jones can't overcome that. McConnell has 10am meeting tomorrow so they can get this guy removed. At least the seat stays Republican. That is the important thing.

Revelation
Topic Author

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:03 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
I have a $50 RCA ANT-751 antenna mounted in my attic for UHF and VHF reception. I found the "sweet spot" to get all of the main channels and most of the low power channels that I wanted.

I went with this bad boy in my antenna:

Antenna and J-pole mount came to around $100.

Later I added a preamp ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQ ... UTF8&psc=1 ) for $40 to really lock in one station that was only 90% solid (but carried some football games I really wanted to watch) which also brought in another two channels that I was interested in too.

All in all I have invested about $140 (which is less than one month's cable TV bill) and a few hours dorking around (which I enjoyed) to get the setup I now have.

I'm about 22 miles from the main transmission tower array. I have a friend that lives 5 miles from the array, and he gets all of the main TV stations with a $1.50 antenna from a Dollar Store.

Yes, I also have one of those cheapo antennas on another TV in my house. It's good enough to get a bunch of stations so at least there's something to watch on that TV if/when I want to put it onto the broadcast channels.

Before I cut the cable TV, what burned me was that the cable delivery system is rigged so that you cannot opt out of receiving local channels. Why is that a big deal? Through Govt. laws and regulations, the local TV companies have been able to charge the cable companies fees to broadcast their stations, and those fees are passed onto the consumers, regardless of what kind of cable package you have. It's a line item fee outside of your "package". And, the local stations keep raising their fees... So happy to not be paying for something I get for free.

Yes, a huge reason why it feels great to have gotten rid of cable is that I was paying for a lot of sh*t I never watched and the bill kept going up and up and up.

It turns out bundling is a great business tool (you get to sell stuff people don't necessarily want because there are some things they do want) employed by many industries (cars do tons of bundling) but it builds resentment in your customer base.

And, BTY, the uncompressed HD picture resolution from the antenna surpasses the resolution cable TV delivers.

I agree. Satellite compresses even more than does cable.

And, the antenna sound is also delivered with full Dolby Digital multi-channel audio. PBS even delivers in 6.1, but I have a 5.1 receiver...

I never got in to surround sound. I don't find the effect it provides to be enjoyable. Just give me good old stereo, thanks! :-)

Flighty

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Yeah the problem with surround sound is, it introduced myriad failures into normal stereo. Overall it is bad for sound. If correctly decoded and played back, it can be a positive. But that is a tiny minority of the viewership. And probably decreasing. I think home theater may be dying in general.

DIRECTFLT

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Revelation wrote:
I went with this bad boy in my antenna:

I never got in to surround sound. I don't find the effect it provides to be enjoyable. Just give me good old stereo, thanks! :-)

Yes, that is one Baaad Boy !!

Ideally, I would mount an antenna with higher elevation, and have it motorized, so that I could pull in -all- of the low power stations, as they broadcast from the East and the West...

As for sound, I too usually just go for stereo, but there are sometimes a few shows that actually mix their 5.1 where it sounds very good. I'm amazed at how good the "THX" ad on some of my DVDs sounded, but then, the 5.1 on the actual film sorta sucked...

When I'm watching a Sports broadcast, I just play with all of the sound options, until I find the one that best delivers the announcers voice. over all of the other "sounds" they're broadcasting...
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Revelation
Topic Author

Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:28 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Yes, that is one Baaad Boy !!

There is also a 4-bay unit that would be bad mutha!

I was considering it, but I really didn't have the room for it in that part of the attic, and it was a lot more money, so I went with the 2-bay unit.

Ideally, I would mount an antenna with higher elevation, and have it motorized, so that I could pull in -all- of the low power stations, as they broadcast from the East and the West...

In my case, my main goal was to pull in NFL games, and I could do that by pointing the antenna at the clump of towers in Needham Heights near Boston. It also meant I had all the major networks covered. There is one local station I would like to have picked up that is in a different direction, but it's not worth it for me to get a rotator. Them's the breaks.

DIRECTFLT wrote:
As for sound, I too usually just go for stereo, but there are sometimes a few shows that actually mix their 5.1 where it sounds very good. I'm amazed at how good the "THX" ad on some of my DVDs sounded, but then, the 5.1 on the actual film sorta sucked...

When I'm watching a Sports broadcast, I just play with all of the sound options, until I find the one that best delivers the announcers voice. over all of the other "sounds" they're broadcasting...
Flighty wrote:
Yeah the problem with surround sound is, it introduced myriad failures into normal stereo. Overall it is bad for sound. If correctly decoded and played back, it can be a positive. But that is a tiny minority of the viewership. And probably decreasing. I think home theater may be dying in general.

The death of home theater is an interesting topic, perhaps worth its own thread

In my case, I have heard surround sound in a few friend's homes, and just don't like the effect. I guess I don't like being startled by sounds jumping out of the wall behind me. The rumbling of the sub-woofer can be useful but it seems either the media we were watching over-used this effect, or the systems were set up in a way that over-emphasized the sub-woofer. In the ideal world it would be less apparent than it ended up being. In this case the effect was so apparent that my brain said, 'oh that's the sub-woofer kicking in' and just tuned it out. In effect it was a needless add-on rather than a well integrated element of the experience.

Home theater works well when you are doing "appointment viewing" but seems to me to be overkill for the causal viewing that most of us do. I suppose if we all had the money for a separate theater room only used for such appointment viewing it would be a big win, but few of us can dedicate space for that purpose. Besides as human animals we do like to see others reactions to things so going to an actual theater is nice.

The only part of me that misses surround sound is that a few of the classic albums of the 70s have been remastered in 5.1 and I would like to hear them in that environment, but beyond that, I think I'm fine with good old stereo.

tommy1808

Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:23 pm

Revelation wrote:
I guess I don't like being startled by sounds jumping out of the wall behind me.

Those systems where set up badly or you sat too far away from the listening location it was set up for. Usually the sound should be in a way that you can completely imerse in it. You shouldn't be aware of sound coming up from behind, because it should sound natural. Of course in a properly set up system you basically don't hear much of it unless you play test noise, so people tend to turn it up too much.

Best regards
Thomas
NIKV69 wrote:

KFLLCFII

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:38 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Every so often a full page ad is run in the newspapers touting a "wonder box" that allows you get free HD TV !!!! Of course, it's just a F-ing antenna. I assume a 30 year old antenna would pull in HDTV just like the latest antennas do...

Absolutely. My brother just bought a house in an area without any cable service, which happened to have a satellite dish already mounted, but he wasn't ready to sign a contract and pay for satellite services. So up in the attic, I disconnected the coax coming from the dish which was split to all the rooms, and connected an old set of rabbit ears probably older than I am (through a fork terminal-to-coax adapter) which I hung from a truss. Every room can now pick up all broadcast stations from both local transmitter arrays about 20 miles away, roughly 45 degrees directionally apart from eachother with no need to adjust the antenna. Every station is completely clear, and he said the full-HD channels look better than when he had basic cable at his old place. We also put a small DVR box off Amazon in the living room, and the 5.1 through the surround system I put in was the icing on the cake, just in time for the start of football. :D They also at least had landline phone service available on the utility pole outside, so they managed to get no-contract DSL internet which proved to have enough bandwidth for Netflix, YouTube, etc.

DIRECTFLT wrote:

When we bought our home several years ago, we were lucky enough to have an antenna like this already installed in our attic (and be situated about halfway between the Miami and West Palm Beach transmitters about 40 miles away in either direction), but we had still opted for Comcast Xfinity HD TV/internet for a couple years until the bill rose to about $200/month. Then a "light bulb" went off and I remembered about the antenna. Turns out, it could easily bring in about 80 clear channels between both local markets even when split to every room. Combined with our existing T-Mobile cellphone internet plans which allow "tethering"/hotspot capability for the computers and their "Binge-On" feature which allows most video streaming sites to not count against our data allowances, it was a no-brainer...Buh-Bye Comcast.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

KFLLCFII

Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:26 am

Funny thing too, almost every time when an acquaintance stops by, I'll point out that the HD picture and on-screen "program guide" they're seeing is from an antenna only, most still ask who my "provider" is. I always get the same look when I say "nobody"... :boggled: ...followed by something like "ohh, you mean that thing back when they made everyone get a digital box or something", or "ohh, I thought those old antennas just stopped working a long time ago!" It just blows them away what broadcast TV has become, which most had forgotten about or hadn't given a second thought (like myself) for several years.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

TWA772LR

Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:50 am

coolian2 wrote:

Yaawwwn.

I brought my parents 1999 vintage 32 inch CRT TV that weighed a ton (up 3 stories to my college apartment) and my cable provider lended me a digital-analog converter box for free.
"It's not getting to the land of the nonrev that's the problem, it's getting back." ~~Captain Hector Barbossa
The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer.

william

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:16 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
No way! This is awesome!

Jokes aside, I can see this as the return of the basic cable revolution. There is an HD antenna you plu into the TV and you get HD local channels and some others within an X mile radius. Couple that with smart TVs gaining Hulu, Netflix, Amazon FIre TV, and Apple TV, I'd be shaking if I were AT&T, Comcast, Time Warner, and SuddenLink.

They are, they are, that's why we are seeing mergers. I wander how ESPN is going to survive without those big payouts from the Cable companies.

By the way, I cut the cord 10 years ago, and the only thing I truly miss is the NCAA moving all of the major Bowl games to ESPN. They are going to regret that move.

Revelation
Topic Author

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:48 pm

william wrote:
They are, they are, that's why we are seeing mergers. I wander how ESPN is going to survive without those big payouts from the Cable companies.

By the way, I cut the cord 10 years ago, and the only thing I truly miss is the NCAA moving all of the major Bowl games to ESPN. They are going to regret that move.

You are kind of answering your own question.

The cable industry realizes the only really unique thing it has going for itself is live sports. They're doubling down by bringing as much live sports onto cable as they can and using whatever negotiating leverage they have to restrict the amount of stuff that bypasses them and gets out via internet streaming or broadcast TV. Luckily for them they still can provide a lot of eyeballs for a lot of advertisers.

However, an unwanted side effect is the sports leagues know they can bypass cable and go to streaming, so the price of live sports gets bid up by pitting cable against streaming, and so cable bills go up because it's a life or death struggle for cable so they pay the going rate, which chases away almost everybody but the hard core sports fans, which in turn means there's less people to pay for the expensive programming, so the bills go up even more.

Personally I think the bubble has to burst, and more things will be available in real time via internet streaming.

In the mean time, I'm like you, I've cut the cord, and don't miss cable too much. Luckily for me, my sport of choice is the NFL, and I can get almost everything via broadcast TV for free. If I was a big NBA/MLB/NHL/Nascar/etc fan I'd be screwed, but I'm not.

treetreeseven

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:25 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Revelation wrote:
Neat hack, eh?

The rabbit ears and old rooftop antennas do not work as well for ATSC signals as well as purpose-made antennas do, but it only matters if you're having problems. If the incorrect antenna works well enough, who cares.

tommy1808

Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:42 am

treetreeseven wrote:
The rabbit ears and old rooftop antennas do not work as well for ATSC signals as well as purpose-made antennas do, but it only matters if you're having problems. If the incorrect antenna works well enough, who cares.

Marketing BS. An Antenna doesn´t care how the information is modulated onto the radio signal.

best regards
Thomas
NIKV69 wrote:

njxc500

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:28 pm

In my opinion an OTA DVR is the real game changer. There are a few brands that make them now