Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

af773atmsp
Topic Author

Honda City in North America?

Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:21 am

I was driving on I-694 in the east metro of Minneapolis/St. Paul and saw a Honda City, a four-door sedan very similar in size to the Honda Civic. I don't think the license plates were Minnesotan and I assumed it was one of the Canadian provinces but I don't know for sure. I looked on Wikipedia and it appears the Honda City was never sold in Canada or Mexico, so I'm wondering if the owner lived somewhere where it is sold and had it shipped to the U.S.? Though why would they want to do that when they could just buy a Honda Civic which is very similar in size?

I know talking about a Honda sedan isn't the most exciting topic, but I'm very curious since this car doesn't seem to be sold in North America.

hoons90

Re: Honda City in North America?

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:07 am

I noticed that they are quite common in Bangkok (especially as Grab cars--Southeast Asian version of Uber). Never seen one in North America.

BobPatterson

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:25 am

The Honda City model or brand does not come up on Honda's search screen for North America.

It is apparently a popular car in Asia, particularly in India.

https://www.carwale.com/honda-cars/city/

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:55 am

af773atmsp wrote:
I was driving on I-694 in the east metro of Minneapolis/St. Paul and saw a Honda City, a four-door sedan very similar in size to the Honda Civic. I don't think the license plates were Minnesotan and I assumed it was one of the Canadian provinces but I don't know for sure. I looked on Wikipedia and it appears the Honda City was never sold in Canada or Mexico, so I'm wondering if the owner lived somewhere where it is sold and had it shipped to the U.S.? Though why would they want to do that when they could just buy a Honda Civic which is very similar in size?

I know talking about a Honda sedan isn't the most exciting topic, but I'm very curious since this car doesn't seem to be sold in North America.

Actually the Honda City is smaller than the Civic. It's the Honda Jazz/Fit Sedan.

ha763

Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:06 am

More information is needed to come up with a possibly answer, but the likely answer is that it is a Civic with the badges replaced with City badges. What generation/year Civic did the City look like? The City does have similar styling to previous generation Civics. And yes, there are people who replace the original badges with JDM badges.

ltbewr

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:36 am

It is also possible that it could have been a car owned by a foreign diplomat or a consulate, a vehicle owned by Honda and doing testing in the USA.

af773atmsp
Topic Author

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:21 pm

I'm 90% sure it wasn't a Civic with a City badge because the back and front of it looked different. It was a fifth generation model.

Since its smaller than the Civic I wonder if perhaps Honda is doing testing to compete with cars similar in size (Chevy Spark, Toyota Yaris, Ford Fiesta, etc.)? Though most of those are hatchbacks, and I feel like Honda would be testing it in a city where they have offices or a manufacturing base.

err2050

Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:56 pm

Maybe it was from Mexico

The Honda City, has been sold in Mexico approximately since 2010

https://www.honda.mx/autos/city/

GGtai

Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:23 pm

After owning a Honda City for about 10yrs, I am not impressed with the new Honda City. Here in this part of Asia, it looks like a rebadged Civic and about the same size. I liked the 01 City body style but Honda put the worse motor/tranny in it. It leaked oil all the time!! I see a few around still but they are disappearing or becoming poor man race cars with different motors. The AC was so cold that anything about a level 3 fan speed would freeze your fingers and toes.

jetwet1

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:11 pm

Imported by someone stationed overseas ?

af773atmsp
Topic Author

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:52 pm

err2050 wrote:
Maybe it was from Mexico

That seems to be the most likely reason.

On the subject of Honda's not sold in the U.S., when I was in northern Minnesota a few years ago I drove past an Acura CSX (Acura's version of the Honda Civic). The CSX was only sold in Canada, but its successor the ILX is sold in the U.S. and Canada.

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:01 am

GGtai wrote:
After owning a Honda City for about 10yrs, I am not impressed with the new Honda City. Here in this part of Asia, it looks like a rebadged Civic and about the same size. I liked the 01 City body style but Honda put the worse motor/tranny in it. It leaked oil all the time!! I see a few around still but they are disappearing or becoming poor man race cars with different motors. The AC was so cold that anything about a level 3 fan speed would freeze your fingers and toes.

Don't know where you are but here in Malaysia I really appreciate having the AC on cold at full blast, especially if the car's been baking under sun for a while. However, I did own an '04 City and honestly the AC on the City isn't that cold compared to my other car, which is a local brand well renowned for its incredibly cold AC.

As for the new City, I really don't see any resemblance to the new Civic.

af773atmsp wrote:
err2050 wrote:
Maybe it was from Mexico

That seems to be the most likely reason.

Mexico has a consulate in Minneapolis so I think mystery solved.

pylon101

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:14 am

It is quite a good car. I drove it in Thailand. They assemble them there. Along with Civics.
CITY seems to have simpler suspension (and much softer one). There are fewer whistles and bells.
However, it is considerably less expensive.