readytotaxi
Topic Author

US to ban travel to N Korea

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:24 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40680500

I suspect the reason for the ban may lay in possible action against NK by the US and allies after August. Remove possible hostages/human shields long before the event. Lets see in Japan and others follow a similar path.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

Dutchy

Re: US to ban travel to N Korea

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:37 pm

Would be quite unwise to attack North Korea. Don't think the US and especially neighboring countries will do this. Perhaps just the same as Americans were not allowed to travel to Cuba.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:41 pm

I agree with you, but I do not find Trump to be a wise diplomat. Let's keep talking to NK.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

tommy1808

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:51 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Lets see in Japan and others follow a similar path.

most countries don´t tell there citizens where they can and can´t go. You know, freedom and such....

best regards
Thomas
Times are changing: 70 years ago the USA went to war to defeat the Nazis, now they elect them to run their country.

DIRECTFLT

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:55 pm

US Urges All Nationals In North Korea To "Depart Immediately"

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-07-2 ... s-visiting
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

tommy1808

Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:09 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

ah... Trump decided he needs to kill lots of people to disctrect people from being a traitor....

best regards
Thomas
Times are changing: 70 years ago the USA went to war to defeat the Nazis, now they elect them to run their country.

Dutchy

Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:31 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

ah... Trump decided he needs to kill lots of people to disctrect people from being a traitor....

best regards
Thomas

Are you thinking "wag the dog?"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120885/

Nice movie :D
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

tommy1808

Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:35 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Are you thinking "wag the dog?"

SOP
But yeah, a good movie to watch...

edit: wasn´t the problem in that one sex with underaged girls?

best regards
Thomas

tommy1808

Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:35 pm

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-war-crime ... son-638404

"Secretary of State Rex Tillerson in Doha, Qatar, July 11. He is closing the Office of Global Criminal Justice, which advises the secretary of state on issues surrounding war crimes and genocide, and helps form policy to address such atrocities."

"When this war is over, North Korean will only be spoken in hell" sounds like something Trump would say....

best regards
Thomas

910A

Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:53 pm

ah shucks, got to change vacation plans...

rwsea

Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:57 pm

readytotaxi wrote:

I suspect the reason for the ban may lay in possible action against NK by the US and allies after August. Remove possible hostages/human shields long before the event. Lets see in Japan and others follow a similar path.

I think the US government is tired of North Korea holding its citizens hostage as bargaining chips. I've always been fascinated by North Korean and would have liked to visit for a few days just to see the place, but I think any American would be extremely foolish to go there these days. With that said, I think it should be people's right to go there if they choose. I fundamentally disagree with any government telling its citizens where they can and can't go.

Francoflier

Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:48 am

Actually, this is a travel ban I can live with...

To be honest, I have always been quite disgusted by those who got their kicks from witnessing first hand the horrible, dysfunctional misery that is NK, along with brutal oppression and starving population, while knowingly funding the fat kid's personal fund.

Yes, I know a few on A.net went there and did it, and I don't care that you get to fly an Il-68, giving money to the man who uses it to but himself luxury cars and fancy booze while he tortures an entire population is just wrong.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

cpd

Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:38 am

Francoflier wrote:
Actually, this is a travel ban I can live with...

To be honest, I have always been quite disgusted by those who got their kicks from witnessing first hand the horrible, dysfunctional misery that is NK, along with brutal oppression and starving population, while knowingly funding the fat kid's personal fund.

Yes, I know a few on A.net went there and did it, and I don't care that you get to fly an Il-68, giving money to the man who uses it to but himself luxury cars and fancy booze while he tortures an entire population is just wrong.

I certainly won't travel there for that reason. Yes, that means I won't understand how peace living the NK regime is, but it also means I'm not directly supporting the regime.

11725Flyer

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:02 pm

What took the government so long? And, why on earth would anyone enter that country knowing what could possibly happen?

DIRECTFLT

Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:29 pm

Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

jetwet1

Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:14 pm

Quote "North Korean leader Kim Jong-un personally supervised the midnight test launch of the missile, saying it was a “stern warning” for Washington that it would not be safe from destruction if it tries to attack, North Korea’s KCNA news agency reported."

So instead of issuing a simple "why the hell would we want to attack a country that's stuck in the 19th century", they send over a couple of B-1b's......Yeah that will help defuse any tension.

Amazingly, I actually agree with Trump on something, it's time for China to crack the whip and get them back in line.

TWA772LR

Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:25 am

I wonder if Kim actually launched a missile against the US and an American city would be destroyed, what the popular reaction in the world would be.
"It's not getting to the land of the nonrev that's the problem, it's getting back." ~~Captain Hector Barbossa

coolian2

Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:46 am

TWA772LR wrote:
I wonder if Kim actually launched a missile against the US and an American city would be destroyed, what the popular reaction in the world would be.

Which city?
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/CRJ-700/-900

BobPatterson

Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:51 am

coolian2 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Which city?

Do you think world opinion would differ if the city was Tacoma, WA, rather than, say, Portland, OR or Eureka, CA?
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

TWA772LR

Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:56 am

coolian2 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Which city?

The one with Americans in it in a state between but not limited to Alabama and Wyoming, alphabetically.
"It's not getting to the land of the nonrev that's the problem, it's getting back." ~~Captain Hector Barbossa

WIederling

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:31 am

rwsea wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

I think the US government is tired of North Korea holding its citizens hostage as bargaining chips. I've always been fascinated by North Korean and would have liked to visit for a few days just to see the place, but I think any American would be extremely foolish to go there these days. With that said, I think it should be people's right to go there if they choose. I fundamentally disagree with any government telling its citizens where they can and can't go.

NK is pretty popular with steam railway enthusiasts.

Travel ban to NK means Trump is calling back his "NGO cloaked" spies.

The US might want to fix their "shot while driving black" issue and similar _local_ uncivilized behaviour first.

Stepping in for the rights of foreigners in their own country tends to have rather strong self interest aspects.
No altruism present at all.

Finally isolating NK keeps the regime alive. The Soviet Union foundered from opening its borders
and thus some hands on comparison. Would they have held the iron curtain closed ...
Murphy is an optimist

einsteinboricua

Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:15 am

BobPatterson wrote:
coolian2 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Which city?

Do you think world opinion would differ if the city was Tacoma, WA, rather than, say, Portland, OR or Eureka, CA?

World opinion will be the same regardless, but I can't help but think that rural America will be ecstatic if it was LA, SF, Portland, or Seattle. To quote them: "It's punishment for 'X'".
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

einsteinboricua

Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:25 am

WIederling wrote:
The Soviet Union foundered from opening its borders
and thus some hands on comparison. Would they have held the iron curtain closed ...

The Union was already on the verge of collapsing due to the war efforts in Afghanistan and a stagnating economy. There would have been no need to reform the Union (glasnost and perestroika) if leadership truly believed the Union was still healthy. The problem was that the reforms were made too quick and Moscow showed no signs of reasserting control. But let's not forget that the states also voted to keep the Union alive in a much more looser confederation (I'm guessing it would have been akin to the European Union) before the August coup threw a wrench in the plans.

jetero

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:06 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
coolian2 wrote:
Which city?

World opinion will be the same regardless, but I can't help but think that rural America will be ecstatic if it was LA, SF, Portland, or Seattle. To quote them: "It's punishment for 'X'".

Yes will be cited as punishment for gays and men in womens' restrooms.

Pyrex

Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:17 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
coolian2 wrote:
Which city?

You mean like rural America signed up to fight after New York City got attacked on 9/11 while many New Yorkers just turned around and said things to the effect of "well, Muslims are all just peace-loving people, we had it coming for "interfering" in the Middle East"?
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

einsteinboricua

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:42 pm

Pyrex wrote:
You mean like rural America signed up to fight after New York City got attacked on 9/11 while many New Yorkers just turned around and said things to the effect of "well, Muslims are all just peace-loving people, we had it coming for "interfering" in the Middle East"?

No. I mean the rural America that thinks earthquakes and droughts are God's wrath on those cities for having the "gheys" and "libruls" while tornadoes and hurricanes in their terrain is just the Lord working in mysterious ways; the rural America that thinks non-Whites are ruining America; the rural America that criticizes urban America for its "alternate" healthy lifestyle, while being obese and shopping on a motor cart through the local Wal-Mart.

THAT rural America.

tommy1808

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:12 pm

Pyrex wrote:

and out of the 60 to 70 million rural Americans, how many did you think signed up? Since the US army where not able to meat staffing goals as early as 2005, i´d say rural america turned around quite quickly as well.

best regards
Thomas

WIederling

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:37 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

and out of the 60 to 70 million rural Americans, how many did you think signed up? Since the US army where not able to meat staffing goals as early as 2005, i´d say rural america turned around quite quickly as well.

The rescued in Irak with much press ado maiden driver was a perfect example.
No military interest at all.
But signed up to get away from her redneck environment and aquire an education on the way.
i.e. those that sign up do this on grounds of individual progress, lack of local perspective
and not some deranged patriotic mumblings.
That is for the beer can swinging gun barrel rubbing sofa infestations.
Murphy is an optimist

qf789
Crew

Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:28 am

Thread has gone off topic and will be locked
Forum Moderator