Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Hillis
Topic Author

Senator McCain Has Aggressive Brain Cancer

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:32 am

Per CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/19/health/gu ... index.html

Prayers that he can conquer this.
Last edited by qf789 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling in title

BobPatterson

Re: Senator McCain Has Agressive Brain Cancer

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:47 am

Hope this patriot beats the odds. Good man.

DIRECTFLT

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:57 am

How does the state of Arizona deal with a Senatorial seat that is vacated?

alberchico

Re: Senator McCain Has Aggressive Brain Cancer

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:24 am

It's the same brain cancer that Ted Kennedy and Beau Biden had. Not a good outlook for him.

this is from Wikipedia:

"The most common length of survival following diagnosis is 12 to 15 months with less than 3% to 5% of people surviving longer than five years."

prayers for him

DocLightning

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:43 am

That is a pity. I disagree with Mr. McCain on a great many issues and yet I see him as one of the few GOP patriots who actually loves this country, who loves the democratic process, and who is willing to put his country before his party.

EA CO AS

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:52 am

I don't always agree with Sen. McCain, but he's a fighter, and he's a patriot. I pray he beats this and goes on to serve my state well.

DIRECTFLT wrote:
How does the state of Arizona deal with a Senatorial seat that is vacated?

Arizona law provides for senatorial vacancies to be filled by means of appointment by the governor, and the appointee must be of the same political party as the person who vacated the seat. That appointee serves in the position until the next statewide general election is held, and the winner of that election then finishes out the term.

acentauri

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:53 am

alberchico wrote:
this is from Wikipedia:

"The most common length of survival following diagnosis is 12 to 15 months with less than 3% to 5% of people surviving longer than five years."....

Unfortunately that prognosis doesn't apply for 80 year old patients.
I always admired McCain for his bullheaded approach to politics. He never seemed to let party lines cloud his judgement on important issues.
Last edited by acentauri on Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

ltbewr

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:54 am

It is a terrible situation the Senator is in, an awful way to live and likely die from, the risk higher do to his age (80). He for sure faced death many times in his Vietnam War plane crash and his subsequent capture and detention in a VC prison camp for 5 years.
I do hope he considers soon to resign and have the process of his replacement occur soon so the state of Arizona has a Senator in place. No doubt his replacement would be a conservative-moderate Republican so if leaves, no real difference for his state.
Like some, I have deep issues with his policies, his getting away with crimes in a S&L that went bust as well as allowing the worst Vice Presidential candidate (Sara Palin) to run with him. Hopefully his health condition will bring some of the other Republicans to realize their terrible crime of trying to repeal and not replace the Affordable Care Act and how without good care many 1000's a year may face the fate of a too early death.

WarRI1

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:12 am

One of my Hero's of which I have very few. A true Patriot who paid a terrible price while defending this country honorably and with great distinction.. I wish him the best.

DIRECTFLT

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:19 am

BobPatterson wrote:
Hope this patriot beats the odds. Good man.

McCain will get the best care that the VA the Mayo Clinic can give to him.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:38 am

I'm not much of a fan of his politics, but that's a terrible, terrible thing to happen. Fingers crossed things will work out okay for him, but it doesn't sound promising. :(

Ken777

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:28 am

Any cancer is a sad diagnosis, but we have seen dramatic changes in treatment over the years. Two friends have had sons with testicular cancer. One died in 1999 and the other, recently diagnosed, has basically beat the cancer after it had spread to the brain. My sister in law in Australia has had pancreatic cancer for 3+ years and is going strong. On the first visit to the Oncologist she was told that they would be having a very different discussions a few years earlier.

For McCain I do hope that there have been advances since Senator Kennedy died, but I remember that Kennedy did have some time effectively working after the diagnosis. Advances in oncology research has been spectacular over the past few decades. I believe that Senator McCain will return to the Senate and will continue to make his thoughts known.

RyanairGuru

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:30 am

I hate to say it, but as soon as I heard he had a blood clot above his eye I thought that sounded too close too home.

I disagree with Sen McCain on many things, but have nothing but respect for him. He is one of the few remaining old-school Senators who put principle above party and stood for what he thought was right.

MSPbrandon

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:32 am

My Thoughts go out to him.

hoons90

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:00 am

I'm really sad to hear this, and hope he recovers soon, despite the grim prognosis. I've always respected him even if we don't align politically.

Dutchy

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:22 am

Sad news. He seems to be an independent thinker, which we need more of those.

Kiwirob

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:28 am

WarRI1 wrote:
One of my Hero's of which I have very few. A true Patriot who paid a terrible price while defending this country honorably and with great distinction.. I wish him the best.

What when did this happen, I don't recall Vietnam actually attacking America.

Anyway he's had a good run, he's 80, time he retired, I bet the health care available to Senators is first class, he'll be given the best treatment and care money can buy, unlike many of his constituents.

Dutchy

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:03 am

Kiwirob wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

What when did this happen, I don't recall Vietnam actually attacking America.

Anyway he's had a good run, he's 80, time he retired, I bet the health care available to Senators is first class, he'll be given the best treatment and care money can buy, unlike many of his constituents.

That is actually a fair question, what would happen to someone diagnosed with this, if the ACA is gone, or even now.

DocLightning

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:52 am

Ken777 wrote:
Any cancer is a sad diagnosis, but we have seen dramatic changes in treatment over the years.

:frown: Not this one, I'm afraid. :tombstone:

Months to a year or so.

AR385

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:56 am

My best friend´s father was diagnosed with a Glyoblastoma, He lost the battle within two months of the diagnosis. It was a very, very sad time.

Kiwirob

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:20 am

DocLightning wrote:
Ken777 wrote:
Any cancer is a sad diagnosis, but we have seen dramatic changes in treatment over the years.

Months to a year or so.

I gotta laugh, the bad news and you're smiley face profile pic don't go well together.

einsteinboricua

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:22 am

McCain is one of the few GOP senators I had hope for during the TP takeover of 2010 and 2014. To say that I respect him would be a lie. Time and time again he's shown that he says one thing but falls in line with his party in the end. That's not the making of a good politician. Nevertheless, I wish him a quick recovery or, if the prognosis is grim, a quick and painless death. It would be very sad to see him (or anyone for that matter) suffer for a prolonged time (due to treatment or symptoms).

Kiwirob wrote:
I gotta laugh, the bad news and you're smiley face profile pic don't go well together.

Well, if there is a hell, I got a first class ticket for laughing at that!

bgm

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:01 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
Ken777 wrote:

Months to a year or so.

Your misuse of "you're" is more amusing.

Prognosis doesn't sound good. Although politically I have disagreed with Sen McCain, he is one of the rare GOPers who actually has something resembling a backbone.

Channex757

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:30 pm

Leaving the politics angle aside, he should immediately resign his seat in the Senate and concentrate on himself. John McCain has served in the Senate as an often outspoken voice and it's time for him to walk away with his head held high and do the "me" stuff in whatever time he has left.

It could even buy him some extra time if he isn't consumed with the Senate work. There is no shame to attach to calling it a day due to medical reasons.

Calder

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:57 pm

That's unfortunate to hear, the republican party needs to keep all the adults it can these days.

casinterest

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:06 pm

My best to McCain and his family in this struggle. A lot of information for them to process and come to terms with on a plan. McCain has lived a remarkable life, and I do imagine he will make a remarkable attempt at fighting this cancer as aggressively as he can.

Ken777

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:10 pm

DocLightning wrote:

Months to a year or so.

You're probably right, but friends and relatives have been dramatically helped with breakthroughs so I am continually optimistic when it comes to cancer.

Especially since my wife and I have gone through a combined 7 cancers and are still kicking.

Channex757 wrote:
Leaving the politics angle aside, he should immediately resign his seat in the Senate and concentrate on himself. John McCain has served in the Senate as an often outspoken voice and it's time for him to walk away with his head held high and do the "me" stuff in whatever time he has left.

It could even buy him some extra time if he isn't consumed with the Senate work. There is no shame to attach to calling it a day due to medical reasons.

Some people believe that cancer patients should be removed from the workplace because they can't think (perform) like "normal" people. Pretty far from the truth, but I'd bet that the race is on for McCain's "replacement already.

He still has a functioning brain, even if it does have a bit of a problem. I personally think that even with the cancer McCain had more experience and judgment to offer the Senate than the majority of the younger hot shots. The GOP desperately needs this man's judgement for as long as possible.

einsteinboricua

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:32 pm

Ken777 wrote:
Some people believe that cancer patients should be removed from the workplace because they can't think (perform) like "normal" people.

Two things here:
1. Brain cancer hits home: your brain is the center of operations. If it's in any way affected, the ideal think would be to step back, treat it, and come back. Other types of cancer are less restrictive. A melanoma won't impair you from Senate duties, but you certainly won't be able to be out in the sun enjoying outdoor activities.
2. No one thinks he can't perform like a normal person. But cancer treatment drains people of energy. At his age, he needs to be as sharp as he can be to respond to Senate inquiries or other events. Being drained by treatment won't help his cause which is why people usually advocate for cancer patients to step back and dedicate their efforts to treatment.

Ken777 wrote:
Pretty far from the truth, but I'd bet that the race is on for McCain's "replacement already.

Most likely. Though AZ was one of the few states that trended blue...I wonder if a Democrat stands a chance.

Ken777 wrote:
He still has a functioning brain, even if it does have a bit of a problem. I personally think that even with the cancer McCain had more experience and judgment to offer the Senate than the majority of the younger hot shots. The GOP desperately needs this man's judgement for as long as possible.

No question about it, but people do question whether his garbled questioning of Comey was a sign of possible impaired judgement. Again, even if he's sharp as a knife, his time should be spent treating and recovering.

Channex757

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:08 pm

Ken777 wrote:
Some people believe that cancer patients should be removed from the workplace because they can't think (perform) like "normal" people. Pretty far from the truth, but I'd bet that the race is on for McCain's "replacement already.

John McCain owes America nothing. He should be able to quit with all due honours and look after himself and his family.

If your democracy is reliant on one Senator then it's a poor showing. My sympathies are with John McCain as a man and a cancer patient, who deserves to be able to take the time to recoup or live with his cancer whilst he can. Working himself into the grave would be a travesty

jetwet1

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:11 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

His health insurance doesn't really matter, his wife Cindy is worth a few hundred million, he will get the best care money can buy.

AR385 wrote:
My best friend´s father was diagnosed with a Glyoblastoma, He lost the battle within two months of the diagnosis. It was a very, very sad time.

I had a friend go through this as well, it's a horrible way to go.

einsteinboricua wrote:
Ken777 wrote:
Some people believe that cancer patients should be removed from the workplace because they can't think (perform) like "normal" people.

Two things here:
1. Brain cancer hits home: your brain is the center of operations. If it's in any way affected, the ideal think would be to step back, treat it, and come back. Other types of cancer are less restrictive. A melanoma won't impair you from Senate duties, but you certainly won't be able to be out in the sun enjoying outdoor activities.
2. No one thinks he can't perform like a normal person. But cancer treatment drains people of energy. At his age, he needs to be as sharp as he can be to respond to Senate inquiries or other events. Being drained by treatment won't help his cause which is why people usually advocate for cancer patients to step back and dedicate their efforts to treatment.

Ken777 wrote:
Pretty far from the truth, but I'd bet that the race is on for McCain's "replacement already.

Most likely. Though AZ was one of the few states that trended blue...I wonder if a Democrat stands a chance.

Ken777 wrote:

No question about it, but people do question whether his garbled questioning of Comey was a sign of possible impaired judgement. Again, even if he's sharp as a knife, his time should be spent treating and recovering.

So very true on all points.

I'm going to leave politics out of this thread, I wish him all the best.

desertjets

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:55 pm

I wouldn't wish brain cancer on my worst enemy. He has served his nation well and while I hope for a positive outcome I remain cautiously realistic here.

Ken777

Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:05 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

I do understand that treatment for cancer drains a patient. I've had surgeries for 4 different types of cancer as well as 38 days of radiation for prostate cancer. Recover from surgery can bed difficult, depending on the surgery, but I drove to work after each of those 38 radiation treatments.

einsteinboricua wrote:

The questioning that day might have been because he was tired (jet lagged) or handed the question list too late for review. Personally I believe that McCain has far more institutional knowledge and judgement than most senators in either party - just like Ted Kennedy had before he died.

So basically I would let the man make his own decisions on working through his term. I believe he needs the support going to work can help while he goes through treatments and I strongly believe that right now the Republicans in the Senate need his return to the fold to help rebuild their reputation after the health care battles.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:03 pm

People are saying he should keep going, he should stop, whatever...

What he should do is what he feels capable of doing, and if it feels too much, then he should rest up. Enforced rest may not be the best thing either, because sometimes people need the sense of normality and stopping just has the opposite effect.

DIRECTFLT

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:10 am

jetwet1 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

His health insurance doesn't really matter, his wife Cindy is worth a few hundred million, he will get the best care money can buy.

I think that any legislator that becomes worth more than 5 Million dollars should no longer be eligible to serve. Us people really don't need the 1% making laws for the rest of us to live and do business in, imo.

BobPatterson

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:24 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

I think that any legislator that becomes worth more than 5 Million dollars should no longer be eligible to serve. Us people really don't need the 1% making laws for the rest of us to live and do business in, imo.

The people who formed our government and wrote our Constitution and were the first of our elected officials were not paupers.

Why should the possession of wealth, whether earned or inherited, be a limiting factor?

DocLightning

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:32 am

Ken777 wrote:
Especially since my wife and I have gone through a combined 7 cancers and are still kicking.

We've made amazing strides in the treatment of cancer. There will be no miracle breakthrough but bit by bit we are beating back different ones and winning the fight.

But glioblastoma multiforme is...awful.

einsteinboricua

Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:38 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Is that an argument for not having elected Trump in the first place? What could be more 1% than that?

BobPatterson wrote:
Why should the possession of wealth, whether earned or inherited, be a limiting factor?
Maybe because they got theirs, so why worry about the rest? See Republicans in their attempt to repeal the ACA. They claim to know how the average American feels...but they stopped being average Americans the moment they won reelection. The average Joe doesn't earn over $170k right off the bat. They don't have lots of perks available to them. They don't have weeks long recesses (those are for moochers and lazy people). So what is so wrong with having people from the middle class continuously replacing representatives that have made politics a career?

Experience is good, don't get me wrong. Too much inexperience leads to chaos. But I think Congress should have absolute term limits. Serve your time and leave.

scbriml

Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:03 pm

BobPatterson wrote:

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, Bob, just look at the current administration! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I really can't get my head round how a bunch of out of work rednecks think that Trump represents them. If it wasn't so tragic, it'd be hilarious.

BobPatterson

Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:49 pm

scbriml wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:

.......Bob, just look at the current administration!

I really can't get my head round how a bunch of out of work rednecks think that Trump represents them. If it wasn't so tragic, it'd be hilarious.

I'm not sure how to understand your comments.

Is wealth disqualifying with regard to running for/holding elective office?

Would an out-of-work redneck be a good choice for the presidency?

Dutchy

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:33 pm

scbriml wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, Bob, just look at the current administration! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

rich seems not to be the problem, but business dealings and incompetance.

Ken777

Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:36 am

BobPatterson wrote:

Is wealth disqualifying with regard to running for/holding elective office?

Would an out-of-work redneck be a good choice for the presidency?

I don't believe that wealth, in itself, should disqualify a person from office. There have been some outstanding politicians who were wealthy,. FDR, JFK are good examples and in other areas of service to the country you can always look to Patton in the Army.

I believe that what some people are looking at is the current administration and the money grab in tax cuts at the expense of average Americans who would get shafted on the health care side. Billionaires Boy's Club, with Trump leading the charge.

TWA772LR

Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:40 am

When he ran in 2008, I actually would've voted for him if I was old enough. McCain was a good soldier and is still a good statesman. He's been through a lot, and seen a lot of good and bad times for our country. I wish him and his family well.

I can see proposals after his passing to rename PHX.

Tailwinds John.

Ken777

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:20 pm

There is an interesting article in the WaPo by Ben Fishman - a gentleman who has the same cancer as McCain. Mr. Fishman was diagnosed in 2014 and is still going strong, Worth a read for those of us concerned with McCain's ability to continue in the Senate for the next year or two or three.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... e61d4a8d43

Channex757

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:25 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
When he ran in 2008, I actually would've voted for him if I was old enough. McCain was a good soldier and is still a good statesman. He's been through a lot, and seen a lot of good and bad times for our country. I wish him and his family well.

I can see proposals after his passing to rename PHX.

Tailwinds John.

A little more relevant to us here; McCain was actually an airman. I sincerely wish he had become President in 2000 and those dirty attack ads had not tarnished the man's campaign.

Maybe the response to 9/11 would have been more focused on Al Qaeda and not an adventure into Iraq.

aerorobnz

Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:58 pm

And now he has voted to prevent the heath reform he has further ensured he will be remembered as a patriot and hero for crossing the floor as well as in combat. Bravo to him,

DLFREEBIRD

Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:38 am

At the senate hearing a month ago we all watched McCain and wondered what was wrong with him. I thought it was time for him to retire.
When it was announced why he was confused. I thought he would stand down from his job in the senate. However, the republicans said they needed his vote, so his Dr cleared him to come back and vote on ACA. At the time, i wondered if his brain cancer would impair his voting.
I didn't think it was a wise decision, at the time. However, i will take his vote. It's not what i expected. But, i think he did the right thing.

WarRI1

Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:54 am

Once again, a Profile in Courage is John McCain. Well done John McCain to vote to kill this monstrosity posing as a Healthcare Bill. I was upset at first when he came back to vote for more debate, when that did not work he voted to kill it. I hope it stays dead as a tribute to the courage the Republicans showed who voted to kill it. Many others hid behind the courageous faces of the three Senators who stood for their fellow Americans against these greedy Bastards, the Republicans. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

einsteinboricua

Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:15 am

I don't view McCain's vote as being against the healthcare bill. I view it as a vote to rescue the Senate. To pass this bill would have set precedent to allow Democrats to push through a bill in a similar fashion when they regain the majority. Not only that, but Republicans didn't promise solely to repeal the ACA; they also promised a replacement (repeal and replace). So he's merely following through with his party's promise.

WarRI1

Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:20 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
I don't view McCain's vote as being against the healthcare bill. I view it as a vote to rescue the Senate. To pass this bill would have set precedent to allow Democrats to push through a bill in a similar fashion when they regain the majority. Not only that, but Republicans didn't promise solely to repeal the ACA; they also promised a replacement (repeal and replace). So he's merely following through with his party's promise.

Watch Mitch McConnell and his speech on the debacle he created. See how he views it, not much support for the dissenters from him. Looks like he took it personally and he deserves it. The poor guy, just trying to help his fellow man. Screw him.

BobPatterson

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:34 am

WarRI1 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Watch Mitch McConnell and his speech on the debacle he created. See how he views it, not much support for the dissenters from him. Looks like he took it personally and he deserves it. The poor guy, just trying to help his fellow man. Screw him.

The evil man did mumble a bit, didn't he, when he announced his defeat? I thought he was about to cry.

He will be back with another attempt at killing health care for millions.