Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

luckyone

Re: Looking for a New Car

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:43 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
I would say no to the Touareg, it's way under powered.

I would disagree. Its engine's output is on-part with its competitors, and it felt more than adequate for every day city and highway driving.

jetwet1

Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:51 pm

luckyone wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

I would disagree. Its engine's output is on-part with its competitors, and it felt more than adequate for every day city and highway driving.

Difference of opinions then, I found it to be a slug, it needs a V8 or a turbo V6.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:50 pm

Dutchy wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

You started with a choice of 3, now you are at..... :-)

Haha, indeed. The wife and I will have a lot of test driving to do over the coming few weekends.

Will be interested if you (and your wifes) give us your views and which one it will be.

Well, after looking over the weekend at various model, some of which people on here mentioned we should check out (and we appreciate that), I believe we have settled on the Yukon Denali -- with the caveat that we wait for the 2018 to come out (Should be in September). She also agreed with allowing us to get Black as long as she is able to pick 'the car of her dreams' as soon as we pay this one off. I agreed.

So, barring any big changes between now and roughly mid-September, we'll be going with a 2018 Yukon Denali, 4x4, Black with Power Retractable Side-steps, Cocoa/Dark Atmosphere Interior.

Ultimately, the Denali has the space we want (not need, but want), along with a very nice interior (really, the leather is as plush and comfortable and is as well-equipped as any so called 'luxury' vehicle'). All the other brands we looked at, you had to add so many things and packages to get to what the Denali has standard or we just didn't care for the look/design of the vehicle. We certainly do not claim it is the 'perfect' vehicle, but it will serve our needs very well.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Flighty

Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:37 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

Haha, indeed. The wife and I will have a lot of test driving to do over the coming few weekends.

Will be interested if you (and your wifes) give us your views and which one it will be.

Well, after looking over the weekend at various model, some of which people on here mentioned we should check out (and we appreciate that), I believe we have settled on the Yukon Denali -- with the caveat that we wait for the 2018 to come out (Should be in September). She also agreed with allowing us to get Black as long as she is able to pick 'the car of her dreams' as soon as we pay this one off. I agreed.

So, barring any big changes between now and roughly mid-September, we'll be going with a 2018 Yukon Denali, 4x4, Black with Power Retractable Side-steps, Cocoa/Dark Atmosphere Interior.

Ultimately, the Denali has the space we want (not need, but want), along with a very nice interior (really, the leather is as plush and comfortable and is as well-equipped as any so called 'luxury' vehicle'). All the other brands we looked at, you had to add so many things and packages to get to what the Denali has standard or we just didn't care for the look/design of the vehicle. We certainly do not claim it is the 'perfect' vehicle, but it will serve our needs very well.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Great. These are fine vehicles, traditionally made, everyone knows their durability, their cost and people love them. They are a major status symbol. Enjoy.

jetwet1 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

Difference of opinions then, I found it to be a slug, it needs a V8 or a turbo V6.

The tourareg was available with W8, W12 (12 cylinder power) V10 TDI (10 cylinder turbodiesel) V6 TDI and I think V12 TDI too but not sure. The related Audi vehicle did have a V12 TDI engine available briefly. I think it went 180 MPH or so. Would that be enough for you :)

Dutchy

Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:52 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
She also agreed with allowing us to get Black as long as she is able to pick 'the car of her dreams' as soon as we pay this one off. I agreed.

She drove a hard bargain :lol:

Do you know what her 'the car of her dreams' is? :white:

Anyway, good luck with the new vehicle must feel good to reach a decision.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:10 pm

Dutchy wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
She also agreed with allowing us to get Black as long as she is able to pick 'the car of her dreams' as soon as we pay this one off. I agreed.

She drove a hard bargain :lol:

Do you know what her 'the car of her dreams' is? :white:

Anyway, good luck with the new vehicle must feel good to reach a decision.

Haha - Good Question. There are some limitations of course, but she would be interested in the Mercedes Benz GLE AMG 43 (Currently have the ML 350, which is the same vehicle minus interior/exterior upgrades of the AMG version), BMW X5, Range Rover Sport, etc - fully loaded, in the color of her choice.

Ultimately, her (and mine) goal is to have the Mercedes Benz 'G-Wagon', but unless something big happens career-wise, that will be significantly down the road.

The biggest caveat with my response is that she would get the vehicles I mentioned if deciding today. In 4 - 4 1/2 years, will have to re-evaluate what's on the market.

na

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:55 pm

B777LRF wrote:
If it's a SUV you're looking for, there is only one: The Range Rover. Everything else is a poor substitute.

I agree with that. Almost. Normally I do not like SUVs, but the new Range Rover Velar is a stunning car, the prettiest SUV ever. A X5 is a total bore against it. From the big German SUVs I like the VW Touareg most.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:25 pm

na wrote:
B777LRF wrote:
If it's a SUV you're looking for, there is only one: The Range Rover. Everything else is a poor substitute.

I agree with that. Almost. Normally I do not like SUVs, but the new Range Rover Velar is a stunning car, the prettiest SUV ever. A X5 is a total bore against it. From the big German SUVs I like the VW Touareg most.

The interior of the VW Touareg is nice, but the exterior is no better looking than the BMW X5 -- very similar overall.

Also, the only 2 Range Rover's we like are the Full-Sized Range Rover and Range Rover Sport. The rest look like crap in our opinion and aren't large enough for our taste. Unfortunately, only the Sport is anywhere within current price range.

dtw2hyd

Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:19 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
...Ultimately, her (and mine) goal is to have the Mercedes Benz 'G-Wagon', ....

That is the ultimate SUV and the preferred ride of Middle Eastern Dictators and LA soccer moms, alike.

330west

Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:32 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
Ultimately, her (and mine) goal is to have the Mercedes Benz 'G-Wagon', but unless something big happens career-wise, that will be significantly down the road.

I'd rather write a check for $150k to the San Francisco AIDS Foundation or Sloan Kettering Cancer Center(anonymously of course).

Enjoy your depreciating asset.

jetwet1

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:33 pm

Flighty wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
luckyone wrote:

The tourareg was available with W8, W12 (12 cylinder power) V10 TDI (10 cylinder turbodiesel) V6 TDI and I think V12 TDI too but not sure. The related Audi vehicle did have a V12 TDI engine available briefly. I think it went 180 MPH or so. Would that be enough for you :)

The key word is WAS, not anymore, you're limited to the 3.6 V6 276hp engine. The V10 is a great engine, so much torque, can't buy it new though.

B777LRF

Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:04 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
...Ultimately, her (and mine) goal is to have the Mercedes Benz 'G-Wagon', ....

That is the ultimate SUV and the preferred ride of Middle Eastern Dictators and LA soccer moms, alike.

The G-wagon (in 240D disguise) was the 4x4 which carried me around during much of my army days. Unbeatable off-road, but horrendous on tarmac. Many, many, years later I found myself in Doha, met a local in the bar and started chatting about cars. His daughter had just gotten a G63 (the G-wagon, in Doha, is a girls car) as a 21st birthday present, and was rather upset with the ride quality. He offered me a ride in it, and whilst it was several orders of magnitude more plush on the inside than my old friend from the army, the ride quality was right about the same - absolutely shyte. He didn't dare take it off-road, lest the grit and grime messed up the paint and thus upset the daughter. In fact, the only thing it had ever mounted were the curbs outside nightclubs various. Which, I suppose, is about the level of off-road challenges your average AMG G-wagon will be expose to.

In other words, it may send out all the right signals for the status conscious driver (such as they are), but it still handles like a pig. And let's not even get started on the fuel economy or, rather, lack thereof. Sounds brilliant though, but it doesn't really convert all that wonderful noise into meaningful forward motion.

TheF15Ace

Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:47 am

B777LRF wrote:
His daughter had just gotten a G63 (the G-wagon, in Doha, is a girls car) as a 21st birthday present,

The G63 now plays second fiddle to the G500 4X4² as far as status symbol goes.

Kiwirob

Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:32 am

Flighty wrote:

jetwet1 wrote:
luckyone wrote:

The W8 engine was only used in the Passat, the Touareg had the same v8 as the Audi Q7. Only Audi used the diesel v12.

dtw2hyd

Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:18 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
So, barring any big changes between now and roughly mid-September, we'll be going with a 2018 Yukon Denali, 4x4, Black with Power Retractable Side-steps, Cocoa/Dark Atmosphere Interior.....

I would say if there any no major changes consider 2017 once 2018 models are announced.

Another trick is never to tell your real preferred color choice to the sales person. If you have decided on black, tell them you want silver, they will try to jack up the price of silver and try to offer deals on other colors like black. Wait for the right moment and switch your color choice to black. Kind of difficult as a couple, so you insist on initial color choice and later agree with your wife's choice. You can save money and get your preferred color choice.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:32 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
So, barring any big changes between now and roughly mid-September, we'll be going with a 2018 Yukon Denali, 4x4, Black with Power Retractable Side-steps, Cocoa/Dark Atmosphere Interior.....

I would say if there any no major changes consider 2017 once 2018 models are announced.

Another trick is never to tell your real preferred color choice to the sales person. If you have decided on black, tell them you want silver, they will try to jack up the price of silver and try to offer deals on other colors like black. Wait for the right moment and switch your color choice to black. Kind of difficult as a couple, so you insist on initial color choice and later agree with your wife's choice. You can save money and get your preferred color choice.

Good points. Should have clarified what I meant by 'barring any big changes'. I know the vehicle will not be changing much, just kind of a cover all in case we somehow change our mind in the next 6-8 weeks or something goes completely awry.

Black and Summit White are the standard colors. All other colors, including the Frosted Tricoat White is an up charge (about $1000 for this white). 95% of the colors on the lot are either the black or the 'frosted white', so there isn't a lot of wiggle room there. But I will ask them to price a vehicle with all our features, minus the exterior when the 2018 pricing comes out and take it from there.

Sincerely,

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:35 pm

330west wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

I'd rather write a check for $150k to the San Francisco AIDS Foundation or Sloan Kettering Cancer Center(anonymously of course).

Enjoy your depreciating asset.

Wonderful. I hope you do that. That's the power of conservative ideals -- you are free to keep and spend YOUR money however it is you wish. You certainly won't get any pushback from me if that's how you choose to spend your dollars.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:41 pm

TheF15Ace wrote:
B777LRF wrote:
His daughter had just gotten a G63 (the G-wagon, in Doha, is a girls car) as a 21st birthday present,

The G63 now plays second fiddle to the G500 4X4² as far as status symbol goes.

And they are all behind the G65 AMG and the G63 AMG 6x6.

I think the OP might try to go for a G63 AMG 6x6, that will obviously provide the best combination of go anywhere ability in rugged commuting situations in towns and outside of them also. ;)

Failing that, it might be possible to get a G350 CDI Professional in the USA - as a special order. Then the OP can look down on those normal G-Class drivers and say, look, I've got a real G-Class.

Sarcasm aside, i think there is little need for those unless you are going well off road. The normal tarted up G-Class is rubbish on road and is cramped inside. And the Professional edition is even better off road, but even worse on road and really utilitarian inside.

I would rather just go for a more basic Touareg and save money.

Flighty wrote:

Touareg had either a combination of V6 petrol engines, V6 diesel (aka V6 TDI), V8 petrol (not W8), a V8 TDI or the older one has a V10 TDI or a thirsty W12 petrol. The V8 TDI in the R-Line was the best of the lot. The Audi Q7 V12 TDI only did 250km/h (155mph) and was an overweight, enormous bus of a thing. You might as well just buy a light truck or a Toyota minibus. I like the V12 TDI engine for sure, but the Q7 V12 TDI didn't really have a point.

The new SQ7 TDI is a much better thing with the four wheel steering.

asuflyer05

Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:57 pm

You mentioned you considered a GLE; but prefer the space and size of the Yukon Denali. Have you considered the GLS? The body-on-frame and brake pedal feel of the Yukon would probably steer me in a different direction.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:04 pm

asuflyer05 wrote:
You mentioned you considered a GLE; but prefer the space and size of the Yukon Denali. Have you considered the GLS? The body-on-frame and brake pedal feel of the Yukon would probably steer me in a different direction.

You know, I do like the look of the MB GLS so I certainly can't knock that. We currently have 2 Mercedes (3 overall) and they are nice vehicles, but honestly, I was trying to steer my wife away from the GLE/GLS, etc because I'm just ready for a change. Overall, good cars, but like most, they do have their quirks that I'm not a huge fan of. One of the biggest things that bothers me is that their technology and options in the vehicle aren't any better than the Denali -- in fact, the Denali has all the bells and whistles. For being a 'premium manufacturer', the interior just isn't 'All That'.

**Exception would be made if we could afford the "G-Wagon".

So with all that said, it's a very nice vehicle and if we weren't on our 3rd MB and weren't so familiar with them, I'd probably go for it. We are just ready for a change (or at least I am). My wife loves her ML350 (GLE equivalent now that they have renamed them) and would get another one in a heartbeat.

910A

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:17 pm

Purchased a Toyota Prius Prime a couple of weeks ago. This will be our third Prius in a row (01 and 07 models). Keep my cars a long time, since they suck money out of one's wallet faster than a mistress. Anyways, the interior is larger than before, seats more comfortable, and at the 800 miles I'm getting 139mpg, so I can't complain. (yea, you read that right 139 mpg.)

Ken777

Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:15 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:

It might be interesting to see if she changes her mind after a year or two on the Yukon - especially if she needs to use OnStar a few times. It is going to be a different ride and she mighty like it enough to look at other GM cars.

KWexpress

Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:13 am

I know american auto manufacturers are often outdone, but when it comes to full size SUV's and trucks, they really know how to do things right. Sure euro models have a lot to offer, but a current model Denali/Escalade is still among the cream of the crop and for good reason. They are excellent vehicles and you will enjoy driving this for many years!!

Dutchy

Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:45 pm

I found the ultimate SUV

But be quick, only 10 are going to be build.

https://www.follownews.com/official-bra ... each-3hph4

mcgreg

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:46 am

na wrote:
B777LRF wrote:

Range Rover is definitely one of the beasts out there. We've just installed the new set of tires and forged wheels on brother's 2000 Range Rover and still runs like a champ. Closing to 270k miles now.

WIederling

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:18 am

jetwet1 wrote:

Where do you actually need all that power?
Racing from (red) traffic light to (the next red) traffic light?

You should brake less. That increases average speeds much more than putting the pedal to the metal. :-)

EstherLouise

Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:33 pm

I have a 17 year old Ford Explorer Sport Trac with 210,000 miles on it. I would have traded it off seven years ago, but Ford stopped making a mid-sized, 4-door pickup. I knew they'd eventually come to their senses and chose to wait them out. Well, the 2018 Ford Ranger 4-door pickup (with the features of the Explorer) comes out in a few months in the USA. The new Ranger will not be the stripped-down econobox of years gone by. It's gonna be pretty snazzy and be available with a 3.2 liter turbodiesel that will get 40 mpg. Now, all I have to do is keep the old Sport Trac running until then.

Continental767

Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:51 pm

Still looking? What about the GMC Acadia Denali? I have one and it is wonderful. Has six or seven seats.

jetwet1

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:20 pm

WIederling wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

Where do you actually need all that power?
Racing from (red) traffic light to (the next red) traffic light?

You should brake less. That increases average speeds much more than putting the pedal to the metal. :-)

No dude, if I wan't to race from light to light I have a car that's more than capable of that, but a big SUV needs power to move it's weight around and in my case, tow a boat, the VW is a glorified SUV.....And I own 2 VW's.

MileHFL400

Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:32 am

na wrote:
B777LRF wrote:

Yeah sure, if you don't mind living with the poor reliability. As for me, Lexus LX570 any day of the week. Or a G63 if i won the lottery

mcgreg

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:07 am

Continental767 wrote:
Still looking? What about the GMC Acadia Denali? I have one and it is wonderful. Has six or seven seats.

That is a good choice for family hauling.

Dutchy

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:41 am

MileHFL400 wrote:
Yeah sure, if you don't mind living with the poor reliability.

Lol, Dutch saying: "wie mooi wilt zijn moet pijn lijden": if you want to look pretty, you need to suffer :lol:

WIederling

Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:21 pm

Dutchy wrote:
MileHFL400 wrote:

Lol, Dutch saying: "wie mooi wilt zijn moet pijn lijden": if you want to look pretty, you need to suffer :lol:

you'll never win a beauty pageant with that look ( not you but : gmc acadia denali ;-)

Dutchy

Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:34 pm

WIederling wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
MileHFL400 wrote:

you'll never win a beauty pageant with that look ( not you but : gmc acadia denali ;-)

Let me fill you in with a little secret, neither will I 8-)

B777LRF

Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:02 pm

Caught glimpse of a Maserati Levante in the wild today. Hideous lump of metal, virtually indistinguishable from all the other 'sporty' SUVs. I'm sure they'll sell them by the bucketload.

Flighty

Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:08 pm

Totally agree. I just don't care about new cars anymore. Looking for a mid grade Porsche 928..

jovelson

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:45 am

Would love to have a Porsche 928 also particularly the '95. All 928's are known to be solid and strong. My buddy owns a '91 model with high-performance toyo tires and it still runs great.

JJJ

Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:04 am

B777LRF wrote:
Caught glimpse of a Maserati Levante in the wild today. Hideous lump of metal, virtually indistinguishable from all the other 'sporty' SUVs. I'm sure they'll sell them by the bucketload.

My boss traded his X6 for a Levante this summer.

Fits their target audience to a t. The interiors are an upgrade over the X6, though.

PS. Didn't realise I was replying to a several months old thread. Sorry.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:52 pm

Continental767 wrote:

Appreciate everyone's input.

We ended up purchasing a 2017 Cadillac Escalade: Black Exterior, 4x4, 'Saddle Brown' Interior. It was about $12,000 more than the GMC Denali, but the interior is much nicer than the already nice Denali interior. When wife saw the interior of the Escalade, she immediately jumped on board.

Purchased it on August 30th in San Antonio and we drove it back to Dallas. Got home and it had about 400 miles on it (test drive + driving from SAT to DFW). Fast forward to now and it just hit the 1,000 mile mark some 4 months later. I like to think of it as our garage ornament. Trying to keep it in tip top shape. Eventually the novelty will wear off some, but as of now, we LOVE the vehicle.

Cheers

Flighty

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:15 pm

Great. Wow FriscoHeavy, you live up to the name Heavy riding around in the "747" of personal cars. Happy wife happy life. The crazy thing is they get like 22 MPG highway now right?

Channex757

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:50 am

All that matters in the end is that you are happy with your new purchase, and congratulations on finding the one that suits you and your needs.

I said it on another thread here, if I was American and had the cash that new Lincoln would be my target. The new SUV model. It's jaw-droppingly good and the interior looks every bit as good as anything Europe puts out and then some.

Dutchy

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:27 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
Continental767 wrote:

We ended up purchasing a 2017 Cadillac Escalade: Black Exterior, 4x4, 'Saddle Brown' Interior. It was about $12,000 more than the GMC Denali, but the interior is much nicer than the already nice Denali interior. When wife saw the interior of the Escalade, she immediately jumped on board.

Purchased it on August 30th in San Antonio and we drove it back to Dallas. Got home and it had about 400 miles on it (test drive + driving from SAT to DFW). Fast forward to now and it just hit the 1,000 mile mark some 4 months later. I like to think of it as our garage ornament. Trying to keep it in tip top shape. Eventually the novelty will wear off some, but as of now, we LOVE the vehicle.

Cheers

Congrats! Pictures? ;)

EA CO AS

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:47 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
Continental767 wrote:

Cheers

Congrats! My wife loves her Escalade, although it's a 2013 model, the previous iteration. My sister loves her 2016 as well; so far neither have let our families down.

bagoldex

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:03 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
Continental767 wrote:

We ended up purchasing a 2017 Cadillac Escalade: Black Exterior

When you're stopped at red lights do people attempt to get in your back seat having mistaken you for their uber driver?

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:38 pm

Flighty wrote:
Great. Wow FriscoHeavy, you live up to the name Heavy riding around in the "747" of personal cars. Happy wife happy life. The crazy thing is they get like 22 MPG highway now right?

Haha, exactly on the happy wife, happy life.

Funny enough, I do not know the exact miles per gallon yet because I was so excited driving it home from San Antonio that I didn’t look.

Since then, I burn 2-3 gallons of gas and then fill it back up. It rarely leaves the garage, unless we go to dinner on a weekend or I go to the corner store to fill it up.

:)

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:40 pm

Dutchy wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
Continental767 wrote:

Cheers

Congrats! Pictures? ;)

How do I post pictures?

Channex757

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:32 am

ImageThis is the beauty that has stolen my heart Image

787Driver

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:41 pm

Channex757 wrote:
ImageThis is the beauty that has stolen my heart Image

Hmmm... each to their own. I also find the handles on the a-pillar quite silly/ugly.

cjg225

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:33 pm

Hijacking here...

If you're looking at a CPO car, what are some things to look for with the vehicle? My local Audi dealership has a car I'd consider buying. It looks like a great deal given the age and mileage. I asked for the CarFax, which they sent me. I called the only dealership listed in the CarFax to see what they did with the vehicle, as I know CarFax isn't always good with detail. That dealership (which is not an Audi dealer) said they just did a used car inspection on it. No other dealer was listed as having done service to the vehicle, nor was the original dealer listed.

If a CPO vehicle looks very good (maybe even close to too-good-to-be-true), what are things I should be looking for when I physically see the vehicle (tomorrow, likely)?