Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Australian Woman Shot And Killed By Minneapolis Police

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:42 am

The details of the shooting are vague at this point, so I'm not sure if she was directly involved or just a bystander:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/16/us/austra ... index.html

Article quote:

"The shooting occurred as two Minneapolis police officers were responding to a 911 call of a possible assault shortly before 11 p.m., Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges said. At some point one of the officers fired a weapon, killing the woman. The officers were wearing body cameras but they were not turned on during the incident, the mayor said."

Kiwirob

Re: Australian Woman Shot And Killed By Minneapolis Police

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:52 am

What is the point of wearing body cameras if they are switched off, there should be some mechanism where they turn on automatically whenever the officer leaves his vehicle, the cameras should also be owned and monitored by an body independent from the police. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if the cameras were in fact on but the contents of the video is so damning for the officers and department that they decided that informing the public that they weren't on is better for everyone. I could understand one camera being turned off due to negligence but not both of them.

usflyer msp

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:02 pm

I live here. Minneapolis police are somewhat infamously terrible but mainstream America did not care because they were not killing and abusing upper-class white people. Now that they have killed one of them and potentially caused an international incident, the sh*t is about to hit the fan.

scbriml

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:13 pm

nitepilot79 wrote:
The officers were wearing body cameras but they were not turned on during the incident, the mayor said.

Neither camera was turned on? My, that's convenient.

usflyer msp

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:23 pm

scbriml wrote:
nitepilot79 wrote:
The officers were wearing body cameras but they were not turned on during the incident, the mayor said.

Neither camera was turned on? My, that's convenient.

Not only that but from what I understand, she was unarmed and through the driver's side door by the officer on the passenger side as she was having a conversation with the driver's side officer...SMH

MSPbrandon

Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:57 pm

RIP. As a Minnesota resident I am disgusted by this. Fire the officer immediately.

Dreadnought

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm

MSPbrandon wrote:
RIP. As a Minnesota resident I am disgusted by this. Fire the officer immediately.

How about finding out what happened first? I have no direct knowledge of the case but I see three possibilities:

1) Officer deliberately shot a person knowing she was not a threat - aka straight up murder. What possible motivation would drive an officer to do this? People (apart from the severely mentally ill) don't just kill random strangers for no reason. Consider this scenario to be extremely unlikely.

2) Officer panicked and fired after seeing something he thought was a threat. Rookie mistake that a cop with 20 years experience would have not reacted the same way, or would a 20 year vet also have felt under deadly threat? What exactly was the perceived threat? Would a reasonable, experienced officer have reacted the same way?

3) Accidental discharge.

About the body cameras, I agree that it is extremely odd that they were not on. What is the Department's policy regarding this - are they always supposed to be on when on duty or what?

MSPbrandon

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:15 pm

Dreadnought wrote:
MSPbrandon wrote:

How about finding out what happened first? I have no direct knowledge of the case but I see three possibilities:

1) Officer deliberately shot a person knowing she was not a threat - aka straight up murder. What possible motivation would drive an officer to do this? People (apart from the severely mentally ill) don't just kill random strangers for no reason. Consider this scenario to be extremely unlikely.

2) Officer panicked and fired after seeing something he thought was a threat. Rookie mistake that a cop with 20 years experience would have not reacted the same way, or would a 20 year vet also have felt under deadly threat? What exactly was the perceived threat? Would a reasonable, experienced officer have reacted the same way?

3) Accidental discharge.

About the body cameras, I agree that it is extremely odd that they were not on. What is the Department's policy regarding this - are they always supposed to be on when on duty or what?

Youre right, i over reacted a bit , i think suspension pending investigation is more appropriate.

Dreadnought

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:23 pm

MSPbrandon wrote:
Youre right, i over reacted a bit , i think suspension pending investigation is more appropriate.

Suspension with pay would certainly be appropriate immediately - in fact I'm pretty sure that is standard procedure after any shooting in all PDs. If evidence starts indicating that charges are likely suspension without pay would eventually be an option pending trial - depending on policy.

910A

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:26 pm

The Minneapolis police officer who shot and killed Justine Damond in the alley behind her home Saturday night has been identified as officer xxxx Meanwhile, state investigators have confirmed that they did not find any weapons at the scene. Xxxx, joined the department in March 2015 as the first Somali police officer to patrol the 5th Precinct in southwest Minneapolis, according to a city newsletter. He holds a degree in Economics and Business Administration from Augsburg College. Before joining the department, he worked in property management in commercial and residential properties in Minneapolis and St. Louis, Mo.

http://www.startribune.com/minneapolis- ... 4975623/#1

Dreadnought wrote:
MSPbrandon wrote:

The correct terminology is paid administrative leave, which is standard procedure for all departments. Using the word suspension gives a negative impression and violates the Police Officer Bill of Rights.

dmg626

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:55 am

[list=][/list]
usflyer msp wrote:
I live here. Minneapolis police are somewhat infamously terrible but mainstream America did not care because they were not killing and abusing upper-class white people. Now that they have killed one of them and potentially caused an international incident, the sh*t is about to hit the fan.

Yep, Minneapolis will be burning tonight, rioting in the streets and local businesses burned down

DIRECTFLT

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:20 am

I'll be waiting for all of the facts to come out. I don't have a need to ride an emotional roller coaster over this shooting death.

Justice takes time. The Balch Springs cop, Roy Oliver, that fired into the vehicle of teens leaving a party, resulting in the death of a 15 year old boy, in April, was indicted for murder by a Dallas County grand jury today.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2 ... ted-murder

usflyer msp

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:39 am

dmg626 wrote:
[list=][/list]
usflyer msp wrote:

Yep, Minneapolis will be burning tonight, rioting in the streets and local businesses burned down

No it won't. Since it was working class brown,muslim officer killing a upper middle class blond white woman there is a 99% chance that he will be convicted. He should not make any plans for the next 15 years or so because he is about to be sent to the wolves. I am not quite sure WTF was going on in his head when he made that shot or forgot to turn on the cam but I am sure he will not be given any leeway or benefit of the doubt like a white lutheran officer would be...

Dreadnought

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:53 am

usflyer msp wrote:
No it won't. Since it was working class brown,muslim officer killing a upper middle class blond white woman there is a 99% chance that he will be convicted. He should not make any plans for the next 15 years or so because he is about to be sent to the wolves. I am not quite sure WTF was going on in his head when he made that shot or forgot to turn on the cam but I am sure he will not be given any leeway or benefit of the doubt like a white lutheran officer would be...

LOL, I knew it would happen. Twist any event to advance the racist and race-baiting agenda...

How about waiting for the facts to reveal themselves?

Flaps

Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:00 am

usflyer msp wrote:
dmg626 wrote:
[list=][/list]
usflyer msp wrote:

No it won't because white, upper middle class people aren't widely known for burning down their own businesses and neighborhoods. There won't be any paid protesters coming to burn down these neighborhoods either because a black cop shooting a white person doesn't fit the liberal protest agenda.

usflyer msp

Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:14 am

Flaps wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
dmg626 wrote:
[list=][/list]

No it won't because white, upper middle class people aren't widely known for burning down their own businesses and neighborhoods.

Only because they don't feel the need to since their voices are heard when they are outraged about something.

I'm not defending this officer - I don't know WTF he thought he was doing but thinking he going to be treated the same as white officer in a similar situation is extremely naive. He is screwed...

Dreadnought

Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:31 am

usflyer msp wrote:
I don't know WTF he thought he was doing but thinking he going to be treated the same as white officer in a similar situation is extremely naive. He is screwed...

You sound like you've already decided that he did it with premeditation. Prejudiced much?

usflyer msp

Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:49 am

Dreadnought wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
I don't know WTF he thought he was doing but thinking he going to be treated the same as white officer in a similar situation is extremely naive. He is screwed...

You sound like you've already decided that he did it with premeditation. Prejudiced much?

I don''t think it was premeditated at all but I can't wrap my head around what might make him shoot an unarmed lady her PJ's through the door on the opposite side of the car. I can't think of a scenario where I can see that being an honest mistake; maybe he is just extremely incompetent...

Tugger

Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:21 am

usflyer msp wrote:
I don''t think it was premeditated at all but I can't wrap my head around what might make him shoot an unarmed lady her PJ's through the door on the opposite side of the car. I can't think of a scenario where I can see that being an honest mistake; maybe he is just extremely incompetent...

Well then why not wait for the investigation to give these answers?

Tugg

tommy1808

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:00 am

Dreadnought wrote:
MSPbrandon wrote:

Suspension with pay would certainly be appropriate immediately - in fact I'm pretty sure that is standard procedure after any shooting in all PDs. If evidence starts indicating that charges are likely suspension without pay would eventually be an option pending trial - depending on policy.

Well, standard procedure is nonsense then. With both cams turned of, there is no reason to pay them while being suspended, unless their PDs house rules allow them to turn the cams of whenever they please. If those have to be turned on, having them off is about the same as destroying evidence.

Flaps wrote:
No it won't because white, upper middle class people aren't widely known for burning down their own businesses and neighborhoods. There won't be any paid protesters coming to burn down these neighborhoods either because a black cop shooting a white person doesn't fit the liberal protest agenda.

Next time you see an add looking for paid protesters, please do call the number. I did so with every single add looking for paid protesters against Trump, and every single number was either out of operation or unknown. All deliberately made up bull crap.

best regards
Thomas

Kiwirob

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:11 am

usflyer msp wrote:

Only because they don't feel the need to since their voices are heard when they are outraged about something.

I'm not defending this officer - I don't know WTF he thought he was doing but thinking he going to be treated the same as white officer in a similar situation is extremely naive. He is screwed...

The colour of the officer should not make any difference, a bad cop is a bad cop.

usflyer msp

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:41 am

Kiwirob wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

The colour of the officer should not make any difference, a bad cop is a bad cop.

This is America, race always matters...

Zkpilot

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:59 pm

Flaps wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
dmg626 wrote:
[list=][/list]

Exactly - the liberal media in the US are very quiet about this but if the races had been reversed it would be front page news and their would be riots and BLM protests all over the city/state possibly country.
Have heard an update that makes this particular case even worse - this Somalian cop has had multiple complaints from women about harrassment/acting inappropriately towards them. The actual incident also sounds more like straight up murder - apparently the lady (in her pajamas) was talking to the other police officer on the other side of the car and this Somalian pulled his gun and shot past the other officer and hit the victim at close range. She was unarmed, and by all accounts was not doing anything to threaten either the police, herself or anyone else - she was after all the one who called the police in the first place. Suggestions have been made that the real reason why the cameras were off was that this is actually one of those lone wolf islamic terror style attacks. Scary to think it was done by a cop.

usflyer msp

Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:18 am

Zkpilot wrote:
Flaps wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Exactly - the liberal media in the US are very quiet about this but if the races had been reversed it would be front page news and their would be riots and BLM protests all over the city/state possibly country.
Have heard an update that makes this particular case even worse - this Somalian cop has had multiple complaints from women about harrassment/acting inappropriately towards them. The actual incident also sounds more like straight up murder - apparently the lady (in her pajamas) was talking to the other police officer on the other side of the car and this Somalian pulled his gun and shot past the other officer and hit the victim at close range. She was unarmed, and by all accounts was not doing anything to threaten either the police, herself or anyone else - she was after all the one who called the police in the first place. Suggestions have been made that the real reason why the cameras were off was that this is actually one of those lone wolf islamic terror style attacks. Scary to think it was done by a cop.

Is that you Pamela Geller? 1) This case has been all over the front page news so call BS on that. 2) Yeah, so just because the guy is Muslim it must be a terrorist attack :roll: Did you say any of that when white cops kill unarmed minority citizens? It called it a few posts back, this guy is going to be totally railroaded. Luckily this 2017 and not 1957 (despite the efforts of Jeff Sessions) or else he would have probably already been lynched.

11725Flyer

Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:39 am

The officer who shot the woman has "declined" to be interviewed. My guess he'll be charged with murder at some point in the near future.

Jetty

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:49 am

Dreadnought wrote:

3) Accidental discharge.

1. This is indeed an unlikely scenario, but so are the others; nothing makes sense given the facts known. He could have radicalized and done this because he is a Muslim and the woman was outside in her pyjama and unveiled. The koran doesn't allow this. Also multiple people from the Somali community in Minnesota tried to join the Islamic State, so radical views are very much alive in that community. This is the only scenario that explains that the body camera wasn't turned on before or immediately after the incident as required, which implies bad intent.

2. I don't see how a 40 yo lady in her pyjama can be perceived as threat, especially not such a big threat that had a reason to shoot from the other side of the car than where the lady was standing while his colleague had a much better view (and didn't shoot).

3. He fired multiple shots, so this scenario can be excluded.

WarRI1

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:56 am

No matter what, an unbelievable tragedy for all involved. It just goes on and on.

Jetty

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:02 am

usflyer msp wrote:
1) This case has been all over the front page news so call BS on that. 2) Yeah, so just because the guy is Muslim it must be a terrorist attack :roll:

1) Where are the riots that would have been going if races were reversed?
2) It's not a given, but Muslims are known for their terrorists attacks, so it increases the likelyhood.

It called it a few posts back, this guy is going to be totally railroaded.

~railroaded
to convict (a person) in a hasty manner by means of false charges or insufficient evidence

In which scenario could this person ever be convicted by means of false charges or insufficient evidence? That some people walk free when they should be convicted doesn't in any way mean that the people who do get their fair punishment for similar acts are somehow 'railroaded'.

RoySFlying

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:36 am

Jetty wrote:
This is the only scenario that explains that the body camera wasn't turned on before or immediately after the incident as required, which implies bad intent.

How does that explain the fact that the other officer's camera was not switched on before, during and after the event? Was that officer similarly "radicalised"; in collusion with the officer who fired in a cover up; or simply negligent?

I don't know what happened. There have been reports in Australian media of fireworks going off at the time and a recording of police communications has been released. Could the officer have mistaken them for guns hots? Did the officer think he saw a weapon in the victim's hand? A phone was found at the scene. Could this have been mistaken for a handgun?

Again, I don't know what happened. Either way, it is tragedy.

tommy1808

Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:23 am

Zkpilot wrote:
Exactly - the liberal media in the US are very quiet about this

Did Breitbart, Fox or the KKK newsletter tell you that the liberal Media, which you pretty much don´t have by world standards btw, is quiet?

Unless there is a wormhole connecting your parallel universe to the one the rest of us is in, it is headline or Top Story anywhere you look.

The only difference between right (what you call liberal) and extreme right news media so far right that they come out on the left side is, that the latter has to mention that the officer was of Somali decent.

best regards
Thomas

Jetty

Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:49 am

Mohamed Noor has exercised his constitutional right to not speak to state investigators

This is very rare when police officers are under investigation, after every recent controversial police-shooting the cop involved DID clarify his action (truthfully or not). His silence is deafening.

flyingclrs727

Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:20 am

Kiwirob wrote:
What is the point of wearing body cameras if they are switched off, there should be some mechanism where they turn on automatically whenever the officer leaves his vehicle, the cameras should also be owned and monitored by an body independent from the police. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if the cameras were in fact on but the contents of the video is so damning for the officers and department that they decided that informing the public that they weren't on is better for everyone. I could understand one camera being turned off due to negligence but not both of them.

Why shouldn't they be on at all times? The contents should be downloaded every day.

Zkpilot

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:26 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:

Did Breitbart, Fox or the KKK newsletter tell you that the liberal Media, which you pretty much don´t have by world standards btw, is quiet?

Unless there is a wormhole connecting your parallel universe to the one the rest of us is in, it is headline or Top Story anywhere you look.

The only difference between right (what you call liberal) and extreme right news media so far right that they come out on the left side is, that the latter has to mention that the officer was of Somali decent.

best regards
Thomas

No Tommy if you bothered to look I don't live in the US or read those mentioned media. I do however notice the relative lack of coverage of this incident compared to recent shootings of African Americans.

Further update the other police officer has stated that he is not sure why this guy shot her either. Said he was surprised that the gun was pulled and shot directly in front of his body inside the vehicle. Does MN have the death penalty?

MSPbrandon

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:33 am

Zkpilot wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:

best regards
Thomas

No Tommy if you bothered to look I don't live in the US or read those mentioned media. I do however notice the relative lack of coverage of this incident compared to recent shootings of African Americans.

Further update the other police officer has stated that he is not sure why this guy shot her either. Said he was surprised that the gun was pulled and shot directly in front of his body inside the vehicle. Does MN have the death penalty?

No Death Penalty in MN.

tommy1808

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:34 am

Zkpilot wrote:
I do however notice the relative lack of coverage of this incident compared to recent shootings of African Americans.

I am sure you can demonstrate that to be true, since to make the statement you have to have some sort of record as to how exactly shootings of African Americans have been covered.

That would be very interesting to see, since it would provide some objectiveness to the discussion, so please, do share your files.

best regards
Thomas

B777LRF

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:37 am

Fact: In the fist 24 days of 2015, US police officers killed more people than the police of England and Wales did in 24 years.
Fact: US police kills around 3.2 citizens per 1 million inhabitants. Other developed countries in the West hovers below, or well below, the 0,25 mark.
Fact: Police in the US fatally shoots more people in one month, than Australia did over a period of 19 years.
Fact: Police fired 17 bullets at Antonio Zambrano-Montes, who was “armed” with a rock. That’s nearly three times what police in Finland are reported to have fired during all of 2013.

MaverickM11

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:54 am

B777LRF wrote:
Fact: In the fist 24 days of 2015, US police officers killed more people than the police of England and Wales did in 24 years.
Fact: US police kills around 3.2 citizens per 1 million inhabitants. Other developed countries in the West hovers below, or well below, the 0,25 mark.
Fact: Police in the US fatally shoots more people in one month, than Australia did over a period of 19 years.
Fact: Police fired 17 bullets at Antonio Zambrano-Montes, who was “armed” with a rock. That’s nearly three times what police in Finland are reported to have fired during all of 2013.

Look at all the freedom we have and you don't! :roll:

Zkpilot wrote:

In other words you have no idea what you're talking about, and yet you comment anyway.

Zkpilot

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:49 am

B777LRF wrote:

More police were also shot and killed in the US by people too compared to those countries. The US also has a larger population than those places.
None of that of course is acceptable. The US really needs to sort its gun problem out.

Zkpilot

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:54 am

MaverickM11 wrote:

Zkpilot wrote:

In other words you have no idea what you're talking about, and yet you comment anyway.

Because I don't read "Breitbart, Fox or the KKK newsletter"?
Or is it because I have a lot of international experience rather than being a hick?
:roll:

tommy1808

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:58 am

B777LRF wrote:
Fact: In the fist 24 days of 2015, US police officers killed more people than the police of England and Wales did in 24 years..

They have, in this year shot more people than the Federal Republic of Germany´s police forces since the FRG exists.

They have, in this year, shot more people than the German police expanded bullets in situations with people in the last 10 years combined.

But then again, there have been police shootings where US officers expended 2 or 3 years worth of ammunition on a single suspect.

Zkpilot wrote:
More police were also shot and killed in the US by people too compared to those countries. The US also has a larger population than those places.

not remotely that much bigger....

None of that of course is acceptable. The US really needs to sort its gun problem out.

with opposition towards anything scientific or, the most evil of all, fact based decision making, that is not going to happen.

best regards
Thomas

MaverickM11

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:40 am

Zkpilot wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

Zkpilot wrote:

Because I don't read "Breitbart, Fox or the KKK newsletter"?
Or is it because I have a lot of international experience rather than being a hick?
:roll:

You said:
Zkpilot wrote:
Exactly - the liberal media in the US are very quiet about this but if the races had been reversed it would be front page news

When in fact it is front page news, on just about any media

B777LRF

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:40 am

MaverickM11 wrote:

Was that an attempt at sarcasm?

MaverickM11

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:42 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:

not remotely that much bigger....

Of course this lays bare the lie behind "all lives matter", or "blue lives matter"

tommy1808

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:21 am

B777LRF wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

The freedom to be scared ;)

Gun companies and NRA run a nice, legal racketeering business: Give us your money, or something may happen to you and your loved ones!

Best regards
Thomas

Kiwirob

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:42 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Why shouldn't they be on at all times? The contents should be downloaded every day.

Isn't that what I said?

Kiwirob

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:53 am

Zkpilot wrote:

That's utter bollocks and you know it, google Australian shot by police in Minneapolis and you get dozens of articles by CNN, ABC, NBC, MSN, all the US newspapers, to say this isn't a major story is a fabrication.

usflyer msp

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:10 pm

Jetty wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
1) This case has been all over the front page news so call BS on that. 2) Yeah, so just because the guy is Muslim it must be a terrorist attack :roll:

1) Where are the riots that would have been going if races were reversed?
2) It's not a given, but Muslims are known for their terrorists attacks, so it increases the likelyhood.

It called it a few posts back, this guy is going to be totally railroaded.

~railroaded
to convict (a person) in a hasty manner by means of false charges or insufficient evidence

In which scenario could this person ever be convicted by means of false charges or insufficient evidence? That some people walk free when they should be convicted doesn't in any way mean that the people who do get their fair punishment for similar acts are somehow 'railroaded'.

1) White people generally don't need to riot, they have power so they don't find it neccesary to act out to feel like they are being heard...
2) This guy really does not fit the profile of a terrorist at all.They are usually disaffected youths. He is an established and well-integrated professional. That is quite the reach (but it doesn't matter to Islamophobes)...
3) In the vernacular, railroaded is used to indicated that decision has been made before any evidence has been presented regardless of the accused innocence or guilt...

tommy1808

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:20 pm

Jetty wrote:
2) It's not a given, but Muslims are known for their terrorists attacks, so it increases the likelyhood..

US right wingers are known for their terror attacks and are gun nuts, i.e. often armed. Talking about likely hood is really where you want to go?

best regards
Thomas

MaverickM11

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:21 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
B777LRF wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

The freedom to be scared ;)

Gun companies and NRA run a nice, legal racketeering business: Give us your money, or something may happen to you and your loved ones!

Best regards
Thomas

It's just like religion!

B777LRF wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

I assumed the eyeroll made that clear?

scbriml

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:30 pm

B777LRF wrote:

No, it wasn't an attempt at sarcasm.

I don't blame people for not getting sarcasm when there are no clues, but the little " :roll: " should have made that clear. :wink2:

MaverickM11 wrote:
I assumed the eyeroll made that clear?

A reasonable assumption! :yes: