Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dutchy
Topic Author

The International Four Day Marches Nijmegen

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:36 am

The International Four Day Marches Nijmegen (Dutch: Internationale Vierdaagse Afstandsmarsen Nijmegen) is the largest multiple day marching event in the world. It is organised every year in Nijmegen, Netherlands in mid-July as a means of promoting sport and exercise. Participants walk 30, 40 or 50 kilometers daily depending on their age and gender, and, on completion, receive a royally approved medal (Vierdaagsekruis). The participants are mostly civilians, but there are also a few thousand military participants.

http://www.4daagse.nl/en

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... s_Nijmegen

The Nijmweegse vierdaagse is upon us. Did anyone has finished this?

Classa64

Re: The International Four Day Marches Nijmegen

Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:58 pm

A 12-member team from 22 Wing-Canadian Forces Base North Bay in Ontario, Canada is in that. They were practicing during a walk for cancer I was at and I spoke with the team leader, great bunch and were excited to get there. I wished them luck. :)
Article link.
http://www.nugget.ca/2017/07/12/cfb-tea ... long-march

Not sure how they finished though.
C.

BobPatterson

Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:22 pm

That's a demonstration I heartily approve of. I guess there is an automatic parade permit.

I'd have to carry a folding canvas chair.

The event has a very thorough website. I wondered who would pay for the cost of portable toilets and other facilities.

Is there enough money earned from the fairly heavy entrance fees to support some charitable cause?

Dutchy
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:36 pm

Classa64 wrote:
A 12-member team from 22 Wing-Canadian Forces Base North Bay in Ontario, Canada is in that. They were practicing during a walk for cancer I was at and I spoke with the team leader, great bunch and were excited to get there. I wished them luck. :)
Article link.
http://www.nugget.ca/2017/07/12/cfb-tea ... long-march

Not sure how they finished though.
C.

We''ll know on Friday. They haven't walked a single km ;-). Good luck to them, only 40k for them a day ;-)

Dutchy
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:41 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
That's a demonstration I heartily approve of. I guess there is an automatic parade permit.

I'd have to carry a folding canvas chair.

The event has a very thorough website. I wondered who would pay for the cost of portable toilets and other facilities.

Is there enough money earned from the fairly heavy entrance fees to support some charitable cause?

€ 64 entrance fee, times 40.000 and you have quite a sum of money to spend and most of them are volunteers anyway. Probably Nijmegen will pay its bit because of over 1mio visitors during the four-day event. It is one of the biggest events in the world.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:40 am

so the parties have finished. 1.525.000 visitors to Nijmegen last week to party, 44euro spend per visitor, nice boost for Nijmegen. One 86y/o has gotten the first ever golden medal. He has finished his 70(!)-ish Marche, wow, just wow.

It is good to see that large scale events like these, can still be held without any major incident. Well done Nijmegen.