Dutchy
Topic Author

We may dream: worlds mega projects

Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:37 pm

We are allowed to dream, it is allowed to be nice here, we are allowed to go beyond politics. So I thought, since we seem to be a bunch of geeks anyway :D, let your dreams take us to places we haven't been to. As humans, we can accomplish so much if the will is there. So what would your mega project which you would like to see humankind realize? Without the constrains of current technology. What would you like to see become reality in say 50 years, in my lifetime?

To start us off, I like the idea of a kind of transatlantic hyperloop concept. London - NYC in 1 hour :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... dream.html

What would your: "We Choose To Go To The Moon" moment be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDBQgzClX8c
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Dreadnought

Re: We may dream: worlds mega projects

Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:55 pm

A permanent colony on another planet/moon. The most obvious first step would be Mars. The technological spillover would be tremendous, as we would have to perfect new sources of energy generation, recycling, environmental controls (and that's not even counting the technology to get us there and back). And of course it is only the first step in sending mankind even further out, beyond our solar system eventually.

Getting off the earth is the only way to ensure the survivability of mankind. It's only a matter of time before an Extinction Level Event happens here - whether it is a meteor hitting the earth, or the eruption of a supervolcano like Yellowstone.

So my "We Choose To Go To The Moon" mission would be manned colonies outside the solar system by 2100.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Dreadnought wrote:
A permanent colony on another planet/moon.

Nice one, thanks for that :thumbsup:

lugie

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:20 pm

I believe that mankind will one day be able to live entirely off sustainables. The mega project I'm referring to would be something like desertec:

A network of renewables supporting huge solar farms in the Saharan desert that are capable of supplying electricity for the entire world (the largest red square in the image, or a bit more since they are calculating with 2005 data).
I know that there would be more infrastructure needed than just the solar farm but I'm confident that with enough will, there is no way these problems won't be solved. I'm optimistic and enthusiastic about science and I believe, like Dreadnought, that space travel is the next frontier. And if we can do that, we can sure find a way to distribute and store the energy from a project like desertec.
Q400 E175 CRJ9 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 B733 B738 B788
X3 LH 4U TP US YX SN EI LA
FRA STR HAM TXL ACE BRU BLL DUB MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT

PhilBy

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:28 pm

We may one day gream of globalisation - Equal rights for all.

Tugger

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:52 pm

My favorite is the Qattara Depression Project:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qattara_D ... on_Project
By connecting the region and the Mediterranean Sea with tunnels and/or canals, water could be let into the area. The inflowing water would then evaporate quickly because of the desert climate. This way a continuous flow of water could be created if inflow and evaporation were balanced out. With this continuously flowing water hydroelectricity could be generated.

It would truly redefine the region, its weather and its usability for humans.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:06 pm

Tugger wrote:
By connecting the region and the Mediterranean Sea with tunnels and/or canals, water could be let into the area. The inflowing water would then evaporate quickly because of the desert climate. This way a continuous flow of water could be created if inflow and evaporation were balanced out. With this continuously flowing water hydroelectricity could be generated.

Tugg

Interesting, didn't know about that, thanks!

Channex757

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:58 pm

Here's a thought. I've seen it said that if mankind (whether just the USA or collaboratively) had kept up the pace of Apollo in the 1960s, we would have been out there in the rings of Jupiter and launching the first missions to the moons of Saturn by now.

Nixon was the President who cut NASA down from its peak activity. It never really got going again with the frenzy that Kennedy invoked and Johnson continued. Is Elon Musk the guy to launch this again at lower cost than NASA was proposing for its missions? Would EASA and the Russians get involved? Or will China surprise us all?

Our future is out there in space and visionaries are sorely needed. Not just Elon.

einsteinboricua

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Tugger wrote:

Tugg

A project similar to this was proposed by the Soviets but never truly attempted as it was too large in terms of environmental impacts.

Essentially, the Aral Sea (which has shrunk since the 60s when Soviets decided to divert its feeding rivers for cotton farming) would be fed with water from the Volga, Ob, and/or Irtysh rivers which drain towards the Arctic.

It was abandoned in the mid 80s (and would have been left incomplete due to the Soviet Union's collapse) but after the Aral Sea split into 3 parts (a northern and southern part, the latter which then split into an eastern and western basin), there has been some renewed interest.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

wingman

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:25 pm

Don't forget about the oceans, we know less about them than space and they're right here on Earth. Underwater colonies or floating mega islands could be the solution to overpopulation. The pill's cheaper but since we're talking about mega projects..

af773atmsp

Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:37 am

Since planet colonization was already mentioned, I'll go with something even more ambitious and very close to impossibility (but nothing is impossible, right?); manned missions to find intelligent life on other planets.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72

SY, DL, FI, FL, BA, EI, NW, MG, DY, EZY, F9, WN

MSP, BOS, JFK, DCA, LAX, SAN, MCO, RSW, PIE, ATL, DTW, PSP, ORD, MDW, MKE, MCI, IND, NAS, KEF, LHR, MUC, OSL, BOO, CPH, HEL, BUD, AMS, EDI, DUB

Dreadnought

Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:53 am

af773atmsp wrote:
Since planet colonization was already mentioned, I'll go with something even more ambitious and very close to impossibility (but nothing is impossible, right?); manned missions to find intelligent life on other planets.

We should first try to find some here...

Sorry, that was just too easy
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

Airstud

Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:28 am

Dreadnought wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:

Less practical.
Pancakes are delicious.

seb146

Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:45 am

af773atmsp wrote:

Wasn't it in "Calvin and Hobbes" comic strip that Calvin said "The surest sign intelligent life exists in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us" or something to that effect?

I would say the mega project I would like to see is bridge or tunnel or ferry crossings between North America and Europe via Greenland and Iceland and another crossing via the Bering Strait.
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter

Airstud

Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:45 am

seb146 wrote:
Wasn't it in "Calvin and Hobbes" comic strip that Calvin said "The surest sign intelligent life exists in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us" or something to that effect?

Those were his words exactly.

seb146 wrote:
I would say the mega project I would like to see is bridge or tunnel or ferry crossings between North America and Europe via Greenland and Iceland and another crossing via the Bering Strait.

I wonder how Greenland and Iceland would feel about that. I know Prince Edward Island was not too happy about being linked with the Canadian mainland by bridge.
Pancakes are delicious.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:47 am

seb146 wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:

The Bering Strait is possible, only political (and economic sense) will is needed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDIqdcZRIh8

As for a bridge/tunnel from North America to Europe, why would you want that?

seahawk

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:05 am

My idea, would more be around ending such mega projects and getting people to embrace a local lifestyle. Using local products, limiting your transportation needs to using the bike and consuming much less resources in general.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:07 am

Another proposed idea (can't seem to find it on the internet) to combat climate change: dam off the North Sea. The North Sea is relatively shallow and by damming of the Pas de Calais and from Scotland to Norway, you could protect vast shorelines of Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Balticstates, Poland, Germany, Denmark, The Netherlands, Belgium, France, UK. So it could make economic sense to do this in the future.

The same could be said for a dam between Gibraltar and Tanger (Marocco) (and locks in the Suez canal of course), in that way you could protect the whole Meditaranianbasin from the rising sea levels, would be much more effective than protecting all the coastlines.

seahawk

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:13 am

And would kill all the maritime life, as the waters need the limited exchange with the Atlantic ocean to avoid overheating and the accumulation of pollution from waste water, which would infuse too many nutrients for algae which would see an explosive growth followed by the ecological death of the waters.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:44 am

seahawk wrote:
And would kill all the maritime life, as the waters need the limited exchange with the Atlantic ocean to avoid overheating and the accumulation of pollution from waste water, which would infuse too many nutrients for algae which would see an explosive growth followed by the ecological death of the waters.

The exchange between the waters of the Atlantic and the North Sea / Med could be arranged and needs to, water from rivers needs to be dealt with anyway. We are still talking about a huge body of water, so why would it be turned into a watery dessert?

seahawk

Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:41 am

Because even if you would just try to simulate the exchange through the Strait of Gibraltar you would need an enormous pumping station. It is way more than 500 Ijselmeer pumping stations.

WildcatYXU

Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:40 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
A project similar to this was proposed by the Soviets but never truly attempted as it was too large in terms of environmental impacts.

Essentially, the Aral Sea (which has shrunk since the 60s when Soviets decided to divert its feeding rivers for cotton farming) would be fed with water from the Volga, Ob, and/or Irtysh rivers which drain towards the Arctic.

It was abandoned in the mid 80s (and would have been left incomplete due to the Soviet Union's collapse) but after the Aral Sea split into 3 parts (a northern and southern part, the latter which then split into an eastern and western basin), there has been some renewed interest.

I'm certain the Volga wasn't on the list of the rivers that were proposed to divert. After all, it drains to the Caspian sea and diverting it could cause a similar catastrophe as diverting the waters of Amu-Darya and Syr-Darya to cotton farms.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

seb146

Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Dutchy wrote:
seb146 wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:

The Bering Strait is possible, only political (and economic sense) will is needed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDIqdcZRIh8

Purely selfish reasons: I like watching the scenery change and I like driving over flying. I know it is ironic that I love watching movements at airports but hate flying.
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter

Dutchy
Topic Author

Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:50 pm

seb146 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Purely selfish reasons: I like watching the scenery change and I like driving over flying. I know it is ironic that I love watching movements at airports but hate flying.

Haha, ok, no problem, but then I hope the Bering Strait bridge becomes reality, you can drive the long way round, much more driving pleasure for you :D

Channex757

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:46 pm

Dreadnought wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:

Sorry, that was just too easy

Monty Python called, they want their joke back...

steman

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:37 am

I would like to see the invention and development of wormhole technology, not only to try and colonize other solar systems but also to be used here on Earth. Imagine a network of wormholes connecting major cities across the globe and trains running through them. Go from Paris to Los Angeles by train in 30 minutes (just the time to board the train, leave the station, enter the wormhole gate, exit the gate in LA and enter the station). It would basically mean the end of civil aviation I guess, but it would save us a lot of time and stress :-) This is an idea I´ve first read in the works of my favourite science fiction author: Peter F. Hamilton.
I would also like to see the rise of quantum computing to very advanced levels. With much more advance computing capability, we might be able to solve problems that seem unsurmountable now, like the above said wormhole technology but also rejuvenation technology, advance materials, artificial intelligence and so on (again, all ideas from P.F. Hamilton....I just love his visions of the future).

PanHAM

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:49 am

seahawk wrote:
My idea, would more be around ending such mega projects and getting people to embrace a local lifestyle. Using local products, limiting your transportation needs to using the bike and consuming much less resources in general.

we had that until the industrial Revolution started in th 19th century. Live was miserable without competition. and global Exchange.Global trade is the base for prosperity.

Much more important is somethng nobody talks about . Population increase. Just how many billions an the world feed. The numer of People living on one or two Dollars per day has been reduced, despite Overall population growth, to one Billion. That would not have been possible without globalisation and international trade. But better demographic planning must be an issue to bring down poverty.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

einsteinboricua

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:28 am

seahawk wrote:

Shockingly enough, that's what many cities gravitate towards, but they're always hindered or criticized.

Local products? Many stores encourage, advocate, and/or promote local consumption by buying from local farmers.

Transportation need to just bikes? You need to pass ordinances that give bikes the same rights as a car and/or create specialized bike lanes.

Consuming less resources? Many cities encourage compost, recycling, and green energy opportunities.

The only way to achieve this in the countryside is to essentially adopt the Amish lifestyle. How many rural communities actually advocate for these policies overall?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

olle

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:19 am

What is happening right now is that Scandinavia is connected by bridges to the continent. Missing is Sweden - Finland over Stockholm - Åbo level.

olle

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:20 am

Next project is a connection Sweden Germany with bridge / tunnel connecting on level Berlin.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:32 am

Two nice projects will take some time off to travel. Will both connections include a train line?

WIederling

Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:43 pm

olle wrote:
Next project is a connection Sweden Germany with bridge / tunnel connecting on level Berlin.

IMU this one will "go" first. ( if it is not boondoggled by the nimby faction):
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fehmarnbelttunnel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fehmarn_Belt_Fixed_Link
Murphy is an optimist

pylon101

Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:56 pm

I just don't see any sense in going to Mars. With essentially same propulsion technologies? No.
However, I think that assembling a big orbital station positioned further from Earth would be a formidable task.
The station would be a revolving wheel, with gravitation.
It could be a place where parts of Moon or Mars equipment would be delivered, assembled and launched. Hopefully based on new propulsion principles.
I am on EK 231/232. The rest is just jet lag.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:07 pm

pylon101 wrote:
I just don't see any sense in going to Mars. With essentially same propulsion technologies? No.
However, I think that assembling a big orbital station positioned further from Earth would be a formidable task.
The station would be a revolving wheel, with gravitation.
It could be a place where parts of Moon or Mars equipment would be delivered, assembled and launched. Hopefully based on new propulsion principles.

:checkmark:

AntonioMartin

Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:10 am

Love and peace among all, no prejudice, no racism, no religious discrimination would do it for me. Not a mega project in the technical sense but a mega project in humanity itself.

Of course it really cannot be done because would you love a rapist, a murderer? But if we started by loving everyone we know ourselves-minus rapists and murderers of course-a lot can be achieved in that way during my lifetime.

ltbewr

Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:33 am

The biggest mega-projects will include adopting to climate change as many built up coastal areas will have to put up massive walls to hold back rising seas due to expected global warming.

c933103

Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:14 pm

Building tunnel/bridge across bering strait itself might be more easier than building and maintaining high quality roads and rails connecting to it at both ends.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:18 pm

c933103 wrote:
Building tunnel/bridge across bering strait itself might be more easier than building and maintaining high quality roads and rails connecting to it at both ends.

True, but still it is nice to dream about it. Roads or connections have something magical to me, building bridges not only literally crosses boundaries but also metaphorically. Ah well, that is the romantic in me :D

Thunderboltdrgn

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:43 pm

Fusion power is one milestone that would c really hange our energy production.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:04 pm

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
Fusion power is one milestone that would c really hange our energy production.

Yes, hopefully, the experimental ITER (Latin for "the way"[1], formerly International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor) will be a success when it is turned on in 2021. So your mega project is being realized right now! :D