Max Q
Topic Author

Window air conditioner

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:21 am

Looking for a window mounted AC for my master bedroom, no need to cool the whole house
at night.

Looking for a QUIET reliable unit with good efficiency, my previous unit used more power than
the Nimitz and more noise than it's air wing.

I'm favoring the Haier serenity series, either the 6000 or 8000 BTU units, the bedroom is
approximately 300 square feet but has very tall ceilings, all inputs welcome !
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

anshabhi

Re: Window air conditioner

Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:14 pm

do you have BlueStar in US? Their window AC's are actually awesome.

einsteinboricua

Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:07 pm

"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

dtw2hyd

Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:58 pm

Look for a ductless multizone mini-split A/C unit. Though these are new to the US, widely used in Asia and are very quiet and energy efficient. Rather than forcing cold air through a duct from one spot, there is a small unit in each room connected to an external unit.

A multizone unit should give you an option to expand later.

SWA TPA

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:25 pm

Oddly enough I just bought a Haier 8000 BTU for my master bedroom this past Sunday. So far I'm loving it, although I'm not going to lie, it's a bit noisy and tends to make a sound that sounds like it's pouring rain outside. It's a fairly powerful unit that blows ice cold air very strongly into the room and cools it down pretty quickly, overall I'm very happy with my purchase. I purchased mine at Wal-Mart for 199$. The rain sound could be due to the fact that I live in southwest Florida and the humidity has been terrible so the unit is dealing with a lot of moisture in the air and is trying to drain it off :)

Edit- I would definitely recommend the 8000 BTU, the unit I replaced was a 6500 BTU and it struggled to cool my room that is a bit smaller than yours.
I believe I can fly.....

Max Q
Topic Author

Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:41 am

Hi SWTPA, sounds like you live in my home town :D

The Haier 8000 BTU unit is the model I was looking at, to be exact the 'Serenity' model which is supposed to be quieter
perhaps than the one you bought, it is a bit more expensive though.

Agree with what you said about getting the right size unit, I had a 5000BTU model before and it wasn't up
to the task, this room is approximately 300 square feet but has very tall ceilings.

I'm curious to know how this affects your electric bill, I assume you are using this unit to cool one room ?
The problem I had before with my last unit was a big spike in my monthly bill.

Even though I turned up the central AC at night and only used the window unit in my bedroom the problem
was then the central unit has to spend most of the following day running to cool down the rest of the house.

Essentially I had two different AC units running 24 hours a day so I'm sort of going off the idea, I have a fairly
efficient central AC unit and it seems to be more cost effective to just run this even if it does need to
cool down the whole house at night.

I have a friend who installed a split unit and agree they do a good job, quiet and efficient, problem is
they are very expensive and require major installation work compared to a simple window AC.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Flighty

Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:34 pm

My place is really shady so just use an 8000 BTU unit and some fans to cool a lot of space, maybe 2000 square feet. It's a Frigidaire from Amazon.

Aesma

Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:18 pm

Living in a tropical place, isn't it better to just deal with the heat in the house, and only cool the bedroom for good nights ?

A/C (or central air in general) being not very common in (metropolitan) France, if you install A/C it will always be the minisplit kind, my neighbours did it, I don't know if it works well, but the noise it makes outside is really annoying. They should have had to put the units on the roof. Fortunately they use it more in the winter for heating than in the summer for cooling.

Then we don't have sash windows so we can't get those ugly but useful window A/C you get in the US, otherwise I would surely have one for those few nights a year it's really too hot for comfort.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

adh214

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:47 am

We just installed a mini split from Daikin. We have seven heads and two compressors. It is very quiet.