Hillis
Topic Author

Chris Chrisie's "Let Them Eat Cake" Moment

Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:43 pm

It sounds and looks like something our of Europe centuries ago. The budget impasse in New Jersey has closed all state beaches for the July Fourth weekend, which I guarantee you is where many in Jersey and elsewhere were planning to go.

But that doesn't apply to Governor Chris Christie and his family.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/03/politics/ ... index.html

This is an example of an elected official who doesn't give a damn about anyone but himself. The picture of his family on an empty beach during the biggest weekend of the summer is no different than tthose words Marie Antoinette utttered a few centuries.

This is basically Mr. Christie saying "fuck you" to the people of his state.
B737-100, B737-200, B737-300, B737-500, B737-700, B737-800, B737-900, B727, B-707 DC-10, MD-11, 763, 764, 777, 757-200, 757-300, A-319, A-320, A-321, A-300, ERJ-145, ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190, CRJ-100, CRJ-200, DASH-2, DASH-3, DASH-8, BAE-146

Francoflier

Re: Chris Chrisie's "Let Them Eat Cake" Moment

Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:43 pm

Isn't he already one of the least popular politicians in the country anyway?

In this era of especially heinous US politicians, Christie stands out as a particularly disgusting one...

...I guess it means he will be re-elected then.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

ltbewr

Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:03 pm

Within this ocean beach state park area is a beachfront house owned by the state for use by the Governor, its been around for over 100 years.

The arrogance and hubris of Gov. Christie is beyond reason and deeply offensive to all residents of NJ due to the budget not being passed by 6/30. The main sticking point is an attempt to raid the 'excessive' reserves of Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield the state's largest health insurer to plug a budget hole. The state parks, state courts, motor vehicle agency, and many other parts of state government are shut down and bound to create bottlenecks in processing work when done, some businesses and individuals may be hurt financially due to the delays in processing licenses and paperwork. I hope he and the Democrats who control the legislature come to their senses soon.

DfwRevolution

Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:17 pm

Came here to post this. What a pathetic display of leadership.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

Flighty

Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:33 pm

In his obituary the main paragraphs will be this event and the Turnpike affair.

Ken777

Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:50 pm

One of his spokesperson just got beaten up on MSNBC, but did get a few basic points on the table.

First, 119 of 130 miles of NJ public beaches are open and the closed ones are waiting for the Legislature to send him a budget.

The beach in question was the Governor's Beach (Summer) Residence, and he spent some time on it with his family on a Sunday afternoon.

Not really as bad as the optics - especially with 119 miles available

But it is horrible optics.

Mir

Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:59 pm

Ken777 wrote:
The beach in question was the Governor's Beach (Summer) Residence, and he spent some time on it with his family on a Sunday afternoon.

Well, the house is his summer residence, so he can stay there with no problem. The beach is a public beach, which is closed. So what is he doing sitting out there?
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

einsteinboricua

Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:07 pm

Francoflier wrote:
...I guess it means he will be re-elected then.

He could...but he's term limited. And given his abysmal approval ratings, I'm guessing Democrats are poised for a clean sweep of the government this year.

ltbewr wrote:
Within this ocean beach state park area is a beachfront house owned by the state for use by the Governor, its been around for over 100 years.

Ken777 wrote:

The thing of it is that a good leader would show solidarity with the people and refrain from using it during the shutdown. Even if that beachfront property is for exclusive use for the governor, why isn't he calling lawmakers for a special session (regardless of the holiday) to fix the impasse? It's one thing if he sent his family there while he remains in Trenton waiting for a budget; it's another to happily blame the legislature while on vacation...using a property paid for by NJ taxpayers...on a beachfront that should be open to everyone.

Imagine if during the 2013 shutdown Obama had decided to visit all the National Parks and/or go to Camp David to wait out the impasse.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Moose135

Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:11 pm

Ken777 wrote:
First, 119 of 130 miles of NJ public beaches are open and the closed ones are waiting for the Legislature to send him a budget.

I don't know the details here, but many times those other beaches are town/county facilities, and you need to be a resident of that area to be able to use them, or pay an exorbitant non-resident fee . State residents from other part of the state would need to use the state beaches, and many probably had plans/reservations to use the state beaches for the holiday weekend.

Christie is term-limited and can't run for reelection in November. He will be out of office in January, and will likely have some wealthy corporate friend set him up in a cushy, highly compensated position, so he really doesn't have to care what his constituents thing of him at this point.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

Aesma

Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:22 pm

"You can understand why a lot of people are upset," one of the hosts pressed.

"Well, I'm sorry they're not the governor," he retorted.

He really doesn't get it, looks like.

I must say I don't understand the concept of closing a public beach. In France the only reason to do so would be for safety, by that I mean the water tested positive for pollution, or old bombs found in the sand, something like that.

Why didn't people go anyway, were state resources used to prevent people from entering the beaches (defeating the purpose) ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

BobPatterson

Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:28 pm

New Jersey provides its Governor with two homes, one of them a "vacation home" at Island Beach. The other mansion (which he does not use) is at Princeton and is called Drumthwacket. It might well be that the staff at either/both places are not working, but does that mean that the Governor and his family should not use the state-provided residences? The sand and beach at Island Beach are the backyard of the residence there. No different than the gardens at Drumthwacket.

The Presidential retreat at Camp David is a little different. It is a military installation and largely unaffected during a shutdown of the Federal Government.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

Moose135

Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:02 pm

Aesma wrote:
I must say I don't understand the concept of closing a public beach. In France the only reason to do so would be for safety, by that I mean the water tested positive for pollution, or old bombs found in the sand, something like that.

Why didn't people go anyway, were state resources used to prevent people from entering the beaches (defeating the purpose) ?

Yes, the entrances were closed - when the beaches are open to the public, there are security, maintenance, safety (medical and lifeguards), and others working there. Without them, the beaches were closed.

edmaircraft

Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:19 pm

Hilarious.

North American politicians, everyone.
Let me up!

NoTime

Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:25 pm

Terrible, terrible optics on this one. Even though I thought the turnpike mess was blown out of proportion, I've never been a fan of this guy. He deserves all of the scorn that is being heaped on him.
"Anyone who doesn't accept the results of an election is a danger to democracy"- Hillary Clinton

einsteinboricua

Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:58 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
The Presidential retreat at Camp David is a little different. It is a military installation and largely unaffected during a shutdown of the Federal Government.

You're missing the point. Retreat or vacation home, if you're the head of government and your state is in shutdown mode, you should be at the capital trying to solve the impasse and not vacationing. Once the government reopens under a new budget deal, take your vacation.

I understand that it's his Friday moment where he's in his last months in office, he can't run for reelection, and there's probably no run for public office for the foreseeable future, but NJ voters didn't elect him to serve 7.5 years of a term (less if you take away the months he spent in the presidential campaign trail and not at his state). If he really doesn't give AF, he should quit and let the Lt Gov (who would then be governor) hash out a deal. She's running for office; she has far greater incentive to be at Trenton and open the government.

BobPatterson

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:02 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:

You're missing the point. Retreat or vacation home, if you're the head of government and your state is in shutdown mode, you should be at the capital trying to solve the impasse and not vacationing. Once the government reopens under a new budget deal, take your vacation.

I understand that it's his Friday moment where he's in his last months in office, he can't run for reelection, and there's probably no run for public office for the foreseeable future, but NJ voters didn't elect him to serve 7.5 years of a term (less if you take away the months he spent in the presidential campaign trail and not at his state). If he really doesn't give AF, he should quit and let the Lt Gov (who would then be governor) hash out a deal. She's running for office; she has far greater incentive to be at Trenton and open the government.

Baloney. The Governor has to wait for the legislature to come up with a workable bill. His enjoying a day with his family caused no delay in the matter.

See the USA Today report: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 448447001/
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

cpd

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:11 am

BobPatterson wrote:
New Jersey provides its Governor with two homes, one of them a "vacation home" at Island Beach. The other mansion (which he does not use) is at Princeton and is called Drumthwacket. It might well be that the staff at either/both places are not working, but does that mean that the Governor and his family should not use the state-provided residences? The sand and beach at Island Beach are the backyard of the residence there. No different than the gardens at Drumthwacket.

The governor should live in his own house, which he owns himself. I don't see the need for him to have official residences. He is not a Prime Minister or a President of an entire country.

Anything else is repugnant and wasteful.

BobPatterson

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:24 am

cpd wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:

The governor should live in his own house, which he owns himself. I don't see the need for him to have official residences. He is not a Prime Minister or a President of an entire country.

Anything else is repugnant and wasteful.

Governor Christie does live in his own home. The official mansion in Princeton is too far from the state capitol to really be useful.

His home is also too far away and is of no use for official functions. There is a public benefit for Governor's mansions at the seat of government. Setting up necessary security at each Governor's home and providing daily secure transportation to a distant executive office costs a lot of money.

So, permit me to disagree on this.

BobPatterson

Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:11 am

Budget deal reached in New Jersey.

Beaches will reopen for the 4th.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/03/nyre ... v=top-news

Aesma

Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:46 pm

Moose135 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Yes, the entrances were closed - when the beaches are open to the public, there are security, maintenance, safety (medical and lifeguards), and others working there. Without them, the beaches were closed.

What about the winter, are they also closed ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

tommy1808

Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:51 pm

Aesma wrote:

Did you ever wonder why US citizens are so often complaining about the nanny state? Because the life in one ...

best regards
Thomas
Crooked Donald Trump an his team are extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information. Not fit! #muchworsethanclinton

mad99

Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:46 pm

i wouldn't have thought that folding chair could support such a fat man

Moose135

Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:33 pm

Aesma wrote:

It depends on the beach - I'm more familiar with the beaches on Long Island, which is right next door to NJ, so similar climate. Many beaches are open, but with reduced hours, and limited staff, since you don't usually have large crowds and little to no swimming. Some security, some maintenance folks, and that's about it. I've never been the type to lay out in the sun or splash in the water, so I actually prefer to head down to the beach in colder weather.

BobPatterson

Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:22 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Did you ever wonder why US citizens are so often complaining about the nanny state? Because the life in one ...

Do you also spend time elsewhere posting inanities about European politicians?

Or do you only favor Americans with your nonsense?

Oh, wait......I seem to be repeating myself.

BobPatterson

Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:35 pm

Aesma wrote:

I've visited in winter all the barrier island beaches along our Atlantic and Gulf Coasts. Winter bird watching attracts many people to the shore.

The only times I have encountered road closures was during, or in the aftermath of, severe storms. Storm damage has sometimes closed connecting ferry links in an island chain until docking facilities could be restored. I well remember one such event alomg the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

Some of the beaches might reduce visiting periods to daylight hours.

tommy1808

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:35 am

BobPatterson wrote:
Do you also spend time elsewhere posting inanities about European politicians?.

The only European leaders whos sanity i would maybe question are in insignificant countries and different from the crazy loony rapist running your country don´t have the ability to destroy almost everything on this planet over a hissy fit. Putin is also a European leader i do critize a lot, but he is a rather sane operator. And i am pretty sure i called Ms. May delusional a couple of times...

best regards
Thomas
Crooked Donald Trump an his team are extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information. Not fit! #muchworsethanclinton

AvObserver

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:07 am

Hillis wrote:
It sounds and looks like something our of Europe centuries ago. The budget impasse in New Jersey has closed all state beaches for the July Fourth weekend, which I guarantee you is where many in Jersey and elsewhere were planning to go.

This is an example of an elected official who doesn't give a damn about anyone but himself. The picture of his family on an empty beach during the biggest weekend of the summer is no different than tthose words Marie Antoinette utttered a few centuries.

It's not good PR but this is really crass editorializing by CNN with its anti-Republican bent. Recalling the good old days when they merely reported the news. And why didn't they mention Assembly Speaker Vincent Prieto who seems to have been the one most directly responsible for holding up a bill that the State Senate and Christie were on board with? You can knock Christie all you want but his hands were tied until Prieto was on board and the damn CNN article doesn't even mention that. Okay, so he and his family enjoyed a day at a closed state beach they're legally entitled to because the Governor's summer home happens to be there. So what? Christie appears to be getting all of the blame for something the NJ Assembly Speaker is most directly responsible for and the news outlets aren't reporting that aspect. Too easy for them to beat up on the governor with the lowest approval in the nation except that this time, it's not mainly his fault. http://observer.com/2017/06/prieto-once ... izon-raid/

tommy1808

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:34 am

AvObserver wrote:

Wow.. that speaker dude forced him to go to the beach? Did he just tell him that he will beat him up or did he make him go at gunpoint?

Best regards
Thomas

stlgph

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:02 pm

AvObserver wrote:
Hillis wrote:

It's not good PR but this is really crass editorializing by CNN with its anti-Republican bent. Recalling the good old days when they merely reported the news. And why didn't they mention Assembly Speaker Vincent Prieto who seems to have been the one most directly responsible for holding up a bill that the State Senate and Christie were on board with? You can knock Christie all you want but his hands were tied until Prieto was on board and the damn CNN article doesn't even mention that. Okay, so he and his family enjoyed a day at a closed state beach they're legally entitled to because the Governor's summer home happens to be there. So what? Christie appears to be getting all of the blame for something the NJ Assembly Speaker is most directly responsible for and the news outlets aren't reporting that aspect. Too easy for them to beat up on the governor with the lowest approval in the nation except that this time, it's not mainly his fault. http://observer.com/2017/06/prieto-once ... izon-raid/

I know we shouldn't always expect the brightest people to come around these parts, but you definitely won the Gold Medal for being "special" with this one.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

LittleFokker

Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:13 pm

AvObserver wrote:
Hillis wrote:

First off, it doesn't matter why there is no budget deal, but it does matter that Christie signed the executive order to close the state beaches as a result of no budget. And while the Governor is certainly entitled to a little down time on a holiday, visiting a public area that is closed to the public is probably the dumbest choice he could have made. All the roasting he is taking is perfectly appropriate, and given his size, he still needs a little more roasting just to get to medium rare!
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

NIKV69

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:02 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:

Baloney. The Governor has to wait for the legislature to come up with a workable bill. His enjoying a day with his family caused no delay in the matter.

See the USA Today report: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 448447001/

More like he knew a deal was about to be made for the 4th and could probably care less because his public life career will end when he is termed out and he will go back to private law practice and make zillions.

Don't let it get in the way of the "I hate America" threads. It's getting old.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

BobPatterson

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:26 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
AvObserver wrote:

Wow.. that speaker dude forced him to go to the beach? Did he just tell him that he will beat him up or did he make him go at gunpoint?

Another nonsense post without value to the debate.

The Governor is entitled to the use of the property 24/7/365, and that includes the sand surrounding the "mansion".

Check out your Führerin Hässlich's and Comrade Putin's use of dachas and report back to us.

Include dog stories.

einsteinboricua

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:33 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Don't let it get in the way of the "I hate America" threads. It's getting old.

Pray tell, why is it that any criticism of a leader is equivalent to "I hate America"?

I only wished you and others showed this kind of restraint during the Obama years, but back then, it was a patriotic duty to break ranks if you didn't agree with the leaders (and I'm almost certain you barely agreed if ever). But now that it's the GOP in power (and it's a GOP governor), the role is back to how it was when Bush was in office: it's treason to question a leader's judgement and it means you hate the country if you do.

tommy1808

Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:19 am

BobPatterson wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
AvObserver wrote:

Another case of you changing the topic in order to be outranged....

The Governor is entitled to the use of the property 24/7/365, and that includes the sand surrounding the "mansion".

This isn´t the topic.

best regards
Thomas

BobPatterson

Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:01 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Another case of you changing the topic in order to be outranged....

This isn´t the topic.

If you really think that the Governor's use of that beachfront property is not the topic, then I must lower still further my opinion of you as a rational person.

einsteinboricua

Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:17 am

BobPatterson wrote:
If you really think that the Governor's use of that beachfront property is not the topic, then I must lower still further my opinion of you as a rational person.

In his defense, at hand is not the issue of whether the governor can or cannot use the property. No one disputes that it's property reserved for the governor's use whenever he desires. The issue is whether he SHOULD be using it given the circumstances his state is in.

It's one thing if the surrounding area is fenced off and creates a private strip of beach for the property (I don't know if that's the case); it's another if the beach strip is not exclusive to the property but is part of a public park, closed by the impasse.

tommy1808

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:30 am

BobPatterson wrote:

as einsteinboricua correctly pointed out to you, you are the only one "discussing" that issue, the rest of us is discussing a PR Debakel and who´s fault it is that he was on that beach, which is the exchange you jumped in on...

best regards
Thomas

BobPatterson

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:59 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:

In his defense, at hand is not the issue of whether the governor can or cannot use the property. No one disputes that it's property reserved for the governor's use whenever he desires. The issue is whether he SHOULD be using it given the circumstances his state is in.

It's one thing if the surrounding area is fenced off and creates a private strip of beach for the property (I don't know if that's the case); it's another if the beach strip is not exclusive to the property but is part of a public park, closed by the impasse.

I do not know for sure, but I doubt that the beach is blocked off in the area of the Governor's house.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8867081 ... a=!3m1!1e3

I simply disagree that the temporary closure of state parks and beaches in any way should limit the Governor's use of the property assigned to him. If he had to pay a park admission fee to use the facility (as others must) I might think differently.

While I do not suggest that this story is "fake news", I do think that it is manufactured news, a "gotcha moment" by an eager reporter.

I do not think that the people in Maryland would begrudge our Governor use of the Mansion, grounds and amenities that we provide, even if all the State-owned buildings and facilities were closed due to a budget impasse.

BestWestern

Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:03 am

It's all about optics. Being on a closed beach is very poor optics.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

AvObserver

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:17 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
First off, it doesn't matter why there is no budget deal, but it does matter that Christie signed the executive order to close the state beaches as a result of no budget. And while the Governor is certainly entitled to a little down time on a holiday, visiting a public area that is closed to the public is probably the dumbest choice he could have made. All the roasting he is taking is perfectly appropriate, and given his size, he still needs a little more roasting just to get to medium rare!

It IS bad PR for him but I don't believe he was consciously thumbing his nose at NJ taxpayers by doing this; he likely just didn't consider the ramnifications of closing the beaches under his legal authority and then use this one which he and his family are legally entitled to at the edge of this governors' residence. It's bad judgement but not an "FU" in my opinion. It's become fashionable to bash Christie in the wake of Bridgegate, over which there's still no hard proof of his complicity in the scandal and over his association with Trump but I'm not joining in the groundswell because I see a lot of it as just more demagoguery from NJ Democrat politicians and the liberal media. I still see Speaker Prieto as more responsible for the closings because of his intransigence in negotiating prior to the deadline. The merits or lack thereof of raiding Horizon for funds (which ultimately didn't happen) are debatable but Prieto resisted Christie's and State Senate Leader Sweeney's to come to an agreement by the deadline so I hold him most culpable for the fiasco. Christie, however, due to his record unpopularity, is the most convenient target to blame and the news media was gunning for such a moment as this "Beachgate" photo op to lay all of the blame on him, naturally.

cledaybuck

Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:34 pm

AvObserver wrote:
It IS bad PR for him but I don't believe he was consciously thumbing his nose at NJ taxpayers by doing this; he likely just didn't consider the ramnifications of closing the beaches under his legal authority and then use this one which he and his family are legally entitled to at the edge of this governors' residence. It's bad judgement but not an "FU" in my opinion.
So you are just saying he is stupid then?

OA412
Crew

Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:58 pm

Chris Christie is an absolute boorish, clown. This was a dumb move, plain and simple. If you've closed the beaches to the public, I don't care if that beach is the "backyard"
to the Governor's mansion or not, you don't then use the same beach the public (your bosses) are not allowed to use.

einsteinboricua wrote:
I only wished you and others showed this kind of restraint during the Obama years, but back then, it was a patriotic duty to break ranks if you didn't agree with the leaders (and I'm almost certain you barely agreed if ever). But now that it's the GOP in power (and it's a GOP governor), the role is back to how it was when Bush was in office: it's treason to question a leader's judgement and it means you hate the country if you do.

Yup, I recall well OP constantly wishing for the Obama Presidency's, and therefore the Country's, failure during those years. I recall the meltdowns over Obama's ordering dijon mustard on a burger, Michelle Obama visiting Spain, etc. It sure was patriotic to criticize our elected leaders during the Obama years...
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

AvObserver

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:02 am

cledaybuck wrote:
AvObserver wrote:
It IS bad PR for him but I don't believe he was consciously thumbing his nose at NJ taxpayers by doing this; he likely just didn't consider the ramnifications of closing the beaches under his legal authority and then use this one which he and his family are legally entitled to at the edge of this governors' residence. It's bad judgement but not an "FU" in my opinion.
So you are just saying he is stupid then?

He used bad judgement and didn't anticipate the backlash over it, nothing more in my opinion. If he and his family are legally entitled to use that home and its beach while he's in office, technically, he's done nothing wrong as in illegal. He should have considered the bad appearance of it all but it was an apparent oversight on his part. He's not a stupid man but his instincts clearly failed him in this situation.

AvObserver

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:58 am

OA412 wrote:
Chris Christie is an absolute boorish, clown. This was a dumb move, plain and simple. If you've closed the beaches to the public, I don't care if that beach is the "backyard"
to the Governor's mansion or not, you don't then use the same beach the public (your bosses) are not allowed to use.

Until that loophole is closed by the NJ legislature (and I think Assemblyman Wisniewski, Christie's main nemesis in the Bridgegate probe, is working on such a bill) Christie and his family are allowed to be there even when the general public isn't. If he was running for office again, I'm sure he'd care a lot more about bad PR but he's not. Yes, he's arrogant but then again, so was his predecessor Jon Corzine, although Corzine wasn't as upfront about it. Christie and Sweeney put up a good fight trying to get the budget in place but Vince Prieto dragged his heels and stymied getting it done by the deadline. I imagine the frustrated governor decided to chill while the process was on hold. It was terrible judgement but likely the family already had plans to be there, made thinking the budget would be signed by then.

11725Flyer

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:04 pm

Now Christie's on the radio auditioning for a sports program on WFAN-AM New York. He can abuse people in real time.

http://nypost.com/2017/07/10/fat-ass-ch ... an-caller/

DIRECTFLT

Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:18 am

BestWestern wrote:
It's all about optics. Being on a closed beach is very poor optics.

It was closed for the "little people."
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

DIRECTFLT

Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:22 am

Hillis wrote:
Governor Chris Christie and his family.

Wow ! During an apocalypse, Chris Christie alone could feed a family of 4 for a Month !
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Cunard

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:48 pm

mad99 wrote:
i wouldn't have thought that folding chair could support such a fat man

I am with you on that one, I was waiting for someone to mention it, what a horrible fat guy he is, the size of those legs. When he got up the deck chair was still attached to his big fat butt although it was totally buckled (the deck chair that is).

einsteinboricua

Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:23 pm

Cunard wrote:
what a horrible fat guy he is, the size of those legs. When he got up the deck chair was still attached to his big fat butt although it was totally buckled (the deck chair that is).
This says a lot about you...I may disagree with his politics. I may despise the man. But I would never make fun of his appearance, especially if it's something that could be out of his control. Some people are simply fat.

He was fatter than this and my guess is that after his failed presidential bid, he'll probably gain back the pounds. Some people let go of their health and end up like this; other people may have hormonal imbalances (I had a teacher with meds whose side effects were weight gain...she used to be skinny like a pencil).

TL;DR: when you resort to mocking someone's appearance, you lose all credibility as a debater and as a person.