Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Non-Av pic thread Q3 2017

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:13 pm

Hard to believe we're already halfway through 2017!

I'll kick-off the new thread with pics from a short trip around northern Germany:

WarRI1

Re: Non-Av pic thread Q3 2017

Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:12 am

Braybuddy.

Are pictures 1,2,3,5 and 7 pictures of the same church or complex from different angles and colors. I see similarities, details in those pictures, or maybe not.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:13 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

Are pictures 1,2,3,5 and 7 pictures of the same church or complex from different angles and colors. I see similarities, details in those pictures, or maybe not.

Well spotted, although number 2 is not. That is the cathedral in Bremen, and the other pics you menitoned are of the magnificent Rathaus, or city hall, one of the finest examples in the country:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bremen_City_Hall

More pics to follow . . .

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:42 pm

Second, and last, instalment of the Germany pics, taken mostly -- and appropriately this week -- around the bustling port city of Hamburg:

WarRI1

Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:12 am

Braybuddy.

The fifth picture down, where the observation deck is. I would hate to work in that lower section with so few windows. It gives me a feeling of Claustrophobia just looking at it. I wonder about the use of that lower space.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:17 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

The fifth picture down, where the observation deck is. I would hate to work in that lower section with so few windows. It gives me a feeling of Claustrophobia just looking at it. I wonder about the use of that lower space.

That is the city's new concert hall in the docklands area of thie city. The glass superstructure is built on top of an old warehouse, which explains the lack of windows! I don't know what is housed in that part of the building, but whatever is in there, natural light is obviously not a major requirement! I agree with you though, that part does looks stiflingly claustrophobit

David_itl

Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:16 pm

Not been anywhere recently so intruding into May and a trip to Grasmere in the Lake District. The area's just been awarded a UNESCO World Heritage Site.. have a bunch of photos form last year and this year from days out if people don't mind me putting a few up?

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:59 pm

David_itl wrote:
Not been anywhere recently so intruding into May and a trip to Grasmere in the Lake District. The area's just been awarded a UNESCO World Heritage Site.. have a bunch of photos form last year and this year from days out if people don't mind me putting a few up?

Lovely composition in that pic: the mist and the stone house nestling among the trees in the background with the sheep in the foreground. Well spotted . . .

BartSimpson

Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:19 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

That is the city's new concert hall in the docklands area of thie city. The glass superstructure is built on top of an old warehouse, which explains the lack of windows! I don't know what is housed in that part of the building, but whatever is in there, natural light is obviously not a major requirement! I agree with you though, that part does looks stiflingly claustrophobit

The base houses - amongst others - a parking garage and recording studios. Watch this: https://www.elbphilharmonie.de/en/elbphilharmonie

WarRI1

Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:16 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

Thanks for the update. Not a place of light and openness for sure in that part of the building. :boxedin:

WarRI1

Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:23 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

The base houses - amongst others - a parking garage and recording studios. Watch this: https://www.elbphilharmonie.de/en/elbphilharmonie

Wow! That is spectacular. It is another world inside for sure. One has to say that it is a Masterpiece of design and function from what I have seen and read. Thanks for the link and info. :checkmark:

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:55 pm

BartSimpson wrote:

Wow, thanks for that! I tried Googling the warehouse but drew a blank: looks like I didn't try hard enough! Looking at the pic of the warehouse on its own you'd wonder what possessed the architect to look at that and say "We'll build the concert hall twice the size and place it right on top of the building". A stroke of genius indeed . . . :bigthumbsup:

vikkyvik

Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:14 pm

Anyone know what kind of spider this is? Sitting on the outside of the house a couple nights ago. Leg span was about 1.5 - 2 inches.

BobPatterson

Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:39 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
Anyone know what kind of spider this is? Sitting on the outside of the house a couple nights ago. Leg span was about 1.5 - 2 inches.

If you post your photo at BugGuide.net you will almost certainly get a specific ID (if it is a North American specimen).

http://bugguide.net/node

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:33 pm

A really mixed bag this time. I love experimenting with black and white: it can really transform a dull pic. Also some recent Pride pics:

RoySFlying

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:21 am

Great pictures from hamburg, Braybuddy. It's my favourite city in Europe (along with Vienna) and I'll be there once more next week.

In the meantime, we've finally had some rain in Perth. Very dry winter so far but with the rain some fungi have popped up in the garden.

WarRI1

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:31 am

Braybuddy.

Once again, very well done. I like the picture of the seawall and the contrast of the white robed people against the sky and of course the young lady does not hurt the overall quality of the picture. Excellent. What is that in the first picture if I might ask?

WarRI1

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:37 am

RoySFlying.

Nature is an awesome thing. Well done.

ChrisKen

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:02 pm

RoySFlying, you seem like a fun guy.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:18 pm

RoySFlying wrote:
Great pictures from hamburg, Braybuddy. It's my favourite city in Europe (along with Vienna) and I'll be there once more next week.

Thank you. Hamburg is a great city, and he new docklands -- with the new concet hall -- is a wonderful addition. Will we see some pics? Would be interesting to get your take on it.

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.
Once again, very well done. I like the picture of the seawall and the contrast of the white robed people against the sky and of course the young lady does not hurt the overall quality of the picture. Excellent. What is that in the first picture if I might ask?

Thanks! That is a sculpture given to the people of Dublin by the Mexican ambassador. It's called the White Lady and somehow is supposed to represent a woman. I can't quite see it myself, and neither can the locals, who have nicknamed it the Mexican Wave, which seems more appropriate given it's setting by the sea. I found this other image online. Maybe you, WarRI1, given your appreciation of the female form :D can see it, but it completely escapes me:

The white robed figures in the other pic are members of the Cherubim and Seraphim Church, a Nigerian church based in the city. I had assumed it was a baptism of some sort as they took off their robes and got into the sea, but they said it was more a ceremony involving water, as they believe it has certain healing powers. In summer they'll travel out for their ceremonies and are a colourful addition to the beach and harbour areas.

WarRI1

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:53 am

Braybuddy.

After reading the information about that White Lady statue, I went out and studied every female form I could today. I must concur with the people of Dublin, I do not see it myself. I will continue my studies of the real female form just in to keep my eye sharp. ;) Thanks for the information about the white robed figures also.

ChrisKen

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:40 am

Correction on your White Lady discussion.
The 'lady on the rock' aka 'white lady' is something different, This refers to a popular small plaster statue displayed in people's windows around the city,

The sculpture pictured above is called "Awaiting the Mariner". (aka The sore on the shore)

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:16 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
Correction on your White Lady discussion.
The 'lady on the rock' aka 'white lady' is something different, This refers to a popular small plaster statue displayed in people's windows around the city,

The sculpture pictured above is called "Awaiting the Mariner". (aka The sore on the shore)

This is strange: it would seem to have two names!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/infomatique/6050705889

https://www.flickr.com/photos/infomatique/3147478814

I deliberiately didn't use the Irish name as it would have meant nothing to most people on here, so used the English translation instead. RTE regularly call it the White Lady in their traffic reports as it's a well-known landmark. If your information is correct, where did the White Lady/An Cailín Bán name come from?

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:36 pm

Problem solved, and it has a third name:
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/sculptu ... -1.1104516

BobPatterson

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:45 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
Problem solved, and it has a third name:
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/sculptu ... -1.1104516

Sounds like an unsolved problem still searching for a final home and name, according to that article.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:03 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
Sounds like an unsolved problem still searching for a final home and name, according to that article.

That article is from 2002, and I think time has mellowed people. In much the same way as the Eiffel Tower was considered a monstrosity by some people when it was built, the sculpture has become part of the landscape and I think there would be outrage now if it were to be moved. And the predicted rusting and graffiti hasn't (so far) materialised. As for the name, I suppose it's down to individual choice, but for me it will always be the Mexican Wave. :cheerful:

David_itl

Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:25 pm

Sorting out some photos from trips over the past month or so, but in the meantime, here's a photo taken on my phone on a cruise from Ambleside to Bowness on Lake Windermere in the Lake District.

BartSimpson

Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:13 pm

People walking on water:

David_itl

Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:48 pm

"Beach and Heaven" indeed with them walking on water.

Yesterday, I went to Bodnant Garden in North Wales (nearest towns LLandudno, Conwy and Colwyn Bay). Can't believe I've hadn't checked it out before with the great views and gardens. This is a sample:

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:52 pm

David_itl wrote:
"Beach and Heaven" indeed with them walking on water.Yesterday, I went to Bodnant Garden in North Wales

Nice the way you caught the reflection in the water. :smile:

Been working on pics taken on a trip across the water to our nearest neigbour. And the weather happened to be just great:

greasespot

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:53 am

This was a pic I took of the Women's barracks at Auschwitz/Birkeneau

Taken with no flash and Ipnone 7

greasespot

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:02 am

The Green Vault ( Grünes Gewölbe ) (I know they are not green) stairs in Dresden.

WarRI1

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:56 am

Well done with the photos. I enjoyed them all.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:49 pm

Part 2 of the Scotland pics, featuring the Highlands, Glencoe, Edinburgh, Stirling, Linlithgow and Crammond

WarRI1

Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:53 am

Braybuddy.

An outstanding set of pictures. The stained glass window commemorating the fallen of WW.1 caught my eye also. The graveyard with the enclosed statues, very unusual. I wonder what was the original use of the piers across the water, very weather worn?. The Fourth Bridge is very familiar to me from reading about it. I have been across the Quebec Bridge a few times in Canada which replaced the Forth Bridge as the longest Cantilever Bridge. Quite an accomplishment so long ago engineering wise. A famous bridge for sure.

BobPatterson

Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:06 am

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

An outstanding set of pictures. The stained glass window commemorating the fallen of WW.1 caught my eye also. The graveyard with the enclosed statues, very unusual. I wonder what was the original use of the piers across the water, very weather worn?. The Fourth Bridge is very familiar to me from reading about it. I have been across the Quebec Bridge a few times in Canada which replaced the Forth Bridge as the longest Cantilever Bridge. Quite an accomplishment so long ago engineering wise. A famous bridge for sure.

According to Wikipedia, the row of pylons along the causeway to Crammond Island served as an anti-boat barrier during World War II, protecting an anchorage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cramond_Island

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:43 am

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

Thank you, but you've inadvertently left me with egg on my face! :oops: :oops: :oops: While scrolling down to read your post I spotted a glaring error in the Cramond pic (Bob Patterson is right: they are WW2 anti-submarine defences).

The pic should look like this:

(Photoshop failure again, but I accept full responsibilty: I should have checked the finished product)

(Incidentally, you might remember the film The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie WarRI1, Cramond is where Jean Brodie used to spend her weekends with Mr Lowther)

The enclosed statues in the graveyard is the Martyrs Memorial at Stirling Castle and has a facinating (if somewhat gruesome) history: it commemorates three women who were sentenced to death by drowning for refusing to take an oath to the king in 1685:
https://www.mercattours.com/blog-post/m ... -graveyard

The Forth Bridge is indeed a marvellous feat of engineering. It's only when you see it close-up you realise the complexity of the structure (and I think it's even more impressive in black and white):

WarRI1

Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:59 am

BobPatterson wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

According to Wikipedia, the row of pylons along the causeway to Crammond Island served as an anti-boat barrier during World War II, protecting an anchorage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cramond_Island

Thanks Bob, very interesting link about the island and WW 1 and 2.

WarRI1

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:15 am

Braybuddy.

I do remember that movie. The pictures more than make up for any small omissions. Of course I am disappointed that I did not point that out. :banghead: That sharp eyed Bob Patterson picked up on that, good job Bob. I am amazed at the intricacy of the bridge close up. Black and white sure points that out.

David_itl

Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:49 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
Nice the way you caught the reflection in the water. :smile:

Thanks! Think the most remarkable thing about the photo is that from my phone. There will be some uploading sprees in due course. In the meantime, here's a sample shot from Erddig Hall near Wrexham taken on Sunday.

Didn't appear to be too bad. However, a degree of cropping was done and resulted in this

One of the few times that one of my photos has maintained sharpness when doing some cropping! Again off my phone and the images haven't been edited.

BobPatterson

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:03 pm

David_itl wrote:
One of the few times that one of my photos has maintained sharpness when doing some cropping! Again off my phone and the images haven't been edited.

Beautiful photograph. Amazing how digital photo processes have evolved so fast.

Who was it that said, in reference to the aerodynamics of bumblebees, "they can't possibly fly"?

WarRI1

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:55 am

BobPatterson wrote:
David_itl wrote:

Beautiful photograph. Amazing how digital photo processes have evolved so fast.

Who was it that said, in reference to the aerodynamics of bumblebees, "they can't possibly fly"?

A fine picture for sure. The wings do look just a bit small for the load and speed and maneuverability.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:03 pm

Something completely different this time, which I suppose you could call "A Country Wedding", and a first for me:

WarRI1

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:02 am

Braybuddy

A well done first for you also. A good time was had by all by the looks of it. As it should be.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:00 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy

A well done first for you also. A good time was had by all by the looks of it. As it should be.

Thank you. Yes, a very good time was had by all, with the exception of myself initially. It was a nerve wracking experience, particularly when they changed the bride's arrival plans at the last minute without telling me. So the ceremony started without the photographer :eyepopping:. Not a good way to start any wedding . . . But things got back on track pretty quickly and they were delighted with the results, thankfully.

vikkyvik

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:54 am

Some quite colorful wasps, shot yesterday:

WarRI1

Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:38 am

May I ask what area of the country these Wasps occupy?

vikkyvik

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:01 am

WarRI1 wrote:

Heh. Their nest is behind my house in SoCal.

Haven't figured out what species of wasp they are yet, so not sure on their range.

They were pretty focused on their work, and left me completely alone, even sticking my lens about 4 feet away, and using a flash.

WarRI1

Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:45 am

vikkyvik wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

Heh. Their nest is behind my house in SoCal.

Haven't figured out what species of wasp they are yet, so not sure on their range.

They were pretty focused on their work, and left me completely alone, even sticking my lens about 4 feet away, and using a flash.

I have never seen them around my way for sure. Up North. Most unusual coloring,

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:13 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
Some quite colorful wasps, shot yesterday:

Nasty looking critters . . .

Some pics from a weekend trip to the Netherlands: