Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

casinterest
Topic Author

Trump's Twiitter Account: Presidential or a Bully Pulpit?

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:50 pm

All, In light of the latest attacks this morning issued on Twitter against the hosts of Morning Joe, should the President be kept from twitter?
http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/29/media/m ... index.html

The current behavior on this account is far from presidential and is more of a bully pulpit. Should we put up with these barbaric attacks on citizens from their Elected leaders?

727LOVER

Re: Trump's Twiitter Account: Presidential or a Bully Pulpit?

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:36 pm

I was about to post this as well

https://www.yahoo.com/news/morning-jolt ... 43869.html

MY thread title was going to be:

AMERICA..... THIS IS YOUR PRESIDENT !!!!

MaverickM11

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:51 pm

Fear not! The only living Trump to have ever worked for the money will save us all. This was updated today, because irony has f@#*($g died and self awareness nailed itself to a cross out of sheer embarassment:

Melania Trump: Ending social media bullying would be focus as first lady
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/03/polit ... index.html

727LOVER wrote:
MY thread title was going to be:

AMERICA..... THIS IS YOUR PRESIDENT !!!!

Trumpanzees will love it. NIKV69 will say "but Clinton!". All as predictable as a Tuesday following Monday...

Tugger

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:28 pm

I would say it is more bully pulpit, except he doesn't use it effectively. In fact it sometimes borders on stupidity, certainly recklessness. And a bully pulpit is wasted when used like that. To be effective a bully pulpit needs to pick a message, stay on point, and communicate somewhat clearly so people can begin to focus on something.

He has a big stick with his social media presence and he is not afraid to use it. The problem is he doesn't know how to use it (for being president).

Tugg

Dutchy

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:36 pm

casinterest wrote:
All, In light of the latest attacks this morning issued on Twitter against the hosts of Morning Joe, should the President be kept from twitter

Yes, are you going to tell him?

DLFREEBIRD

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:45 pm

A country deserves the leadership it elects, boy has that come back to bite American's.

Trump has crossed so many lines in the sand, people who elected him knew what he was about. i fully expect his supporters to come on this board and downplay his tweets, the GOP leadership to ignore his tweets and for him to get stronger each day with his bullying tactics at dividing this country, at what point will people realized that he's mentally ill? mentally unstable, or just a bitter old man who's out of touch 2020?

casinterest
Topic Author

Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:39 pm

Dutchy wrote:
casinterest wrote:
All, In light of the latest attacks this morning issued on Twitter against the hosts of Morning Joe, should the President be kept from twitter

I think everyone should tell him He is not acting in accordance with the job he has been entrusted with.

Flighty

Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:49 pm

I think his base loves it. Do you remember, he said Hillary Clinton was the most corrupt woman in the world, and that he would place her in jail. His base went wild. They do not care about the feelings of the media/ruling class elite. Trump is their profane id. His election was a big middle finger to numerous extraordinarily powerful groups. I wonder if the message is sinking in yet.

rwsea

Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:27 pm

Looks like the old, fat, orange man is having a hissy fit because his tax cut disguised as a health care bill is stalled. Or maybe that's why he's trying to distract us.

einsteinboricua

Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:11 pm

casinterest wrote:
All, In light of the latest attacks this morning issued on Twitter against the hosts of Morning Joe, should the President be kept from twitter?

NO! Absolutely not. How else can we see when his Tweets are volleyed back in an epic way? And how else are late night talk shows gonna have material for us?

This is his own doing...let him keep doing it.

casinterest wrote:
Should we put up with these barbaric attacks on citizens from their Elected leaders?

The people get the government they deserve.

lugie

Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:07 pm

Flighty wrote:
I think his base loves it. Do you remember, he said Hillary Clinton was the most corrupt woman in the world, and that he would place her in jail. His base went wild. They do not care about the feelings of the media/ruling class elite. Trump is their profane id. His election was a big middle finger to numerous extraordinarily powerful groups. I wonder if the message is sinking in yet.

In other words, his base is uneducated and eats up anything he spouts out. If it really was just about giving a middle finger to the "elites" they would have abandoned him the day he took office because he made it really clear he has no intentions whatsoever to actually prosecute Hillary Clinton.

The only message sinking in is that there is a good portion of the American public, around 30% probably, that are practically lost cases. They will dogmatically follow literally anything Trump says or does and at the same time demean and deny anything anyone else says or does.
Besides that, it really takes a good dose of stupidity to believe that someone who was raised with the literal silver spoon, has friends all across the establishment, the financial elites and even the Clintons themselves, already flew around in a private 757 before getting access to AF1, would seriously defend the interests of the American working class.

Dutchy

Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:47 pm

casinterest wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
casinterest wrote:

I think everyone should tell him He is not acting in accordance with the job he has been entrusted with.

Yes, but to whom does he really listen.......

BobPatterson

Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:01 pm

casinterest wrote:

The current behavior on this account is far from presidential and is more of a bully pulpit. Should we put up with these barbaric attacks on citizens from their Elected leaders?

Stop and think for a moment. You are really asking "Should the President's right to free speech be impinged"?

Of course not. No one should be kept from twitter if they meet the requirements for using that service.

You also ask whether we should put up with [his] barbaric attacks. Not in the sense of acquiescing to them with silence.

They should be widely broadcast, met with vigorous opposition, and recorded in the archives of his lies, deceits and misdeeds.

Use your free speech in opposition to his free speech, and sway public opinion against him.

Dutchy

Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:14 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Stop and think for a moment. You are really asking "Should the President's right to free speech be impinged"?

Of course not. No one should be kept from twitter if they meet the requirements for using that service.

You also ask whether we should put up with [his] barbaric attacks. Not in the sense of acquiescing to them with silence.

They should be widely broadcast, met with vigorous opposition, and recorded in the archives of his lies, deceits and misdeeds.

Use your free speech in opposition to his free speech, and sway public opinion against him.

Doesn't work like that, Bob.

Dutchy

Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:35 pm

Of course, the Tweets are disposable, of course, his entourage should take away his toy, of course, he is an embarrassment for his country.

Let's keep our eye on the ball: the policies he envisions (social security, health care, climate change) and his problematic contacts (Russia, business ties, conflicts of interest). That's what important in the long run, not the small Tweets of a small minded man.

ltbewr

Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:33 am

Dutchy wrote:
Of course, the Tweets are disposable, of course, his entourage should take away his toy, of course, he is an embarrassment for his country.

Let's keep our eye on the ball: the policies he envisions (social security, health care, climate change) and his problematic contacts (Russia, business ties, conflicts of interest). That's what important in the long run, not the small Tweets of a small minded man.

First of all, Trump should not be allowed to use his private account while President, only allowed to use the official POTUS Twitter account for at least some filters, security and to keep official records. Indeed he needs his phone and private Twitter account taken away from him.
As to his latest comments as to Morning Joe's Mika, it just shows his arrogance, his lack of sound thinking, his dislike of women smarter than him and his personality is too unstable to be a President in the modern era. I fear that one day he will say something so offensive, so stupid it will cause a very dangerous diplomatic problem that could put the citizens of the USA in and outside the states at grave danger.

Airstud

Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:59 am

I view Trump's personal Twitter account as "enough rope."

BobPatterson

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:07 am

Dutchy wrote:

"Doesn't work like that" is no response.

No one can, under the Constitution, take away the President's (or my) right to communicate with others in any way he wishes. Period.

It is possible that he could some day, under the Constitution, be removed from office, either by the impeachment process or by being adjudged incapacitated.

He could also elect to resign.

Your insistence that we should discuss only those issues that you consider "major" is, in my opinion, nonsense. Mr. Trump's tweets are important in that they more easily reveal who he is and how sick he is, mentally and morally.

Let him self-destruct.

tommy1808

Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:56 am

Flighty wrote:
His election was a big middle finger to numerous extraordinarily powerful groups. I wonder if the message is sinking in yet.

You are hilarious! The guy who´s election was a middle finger to numerous extraordinarily powerful groups just put Wallstreet in charge of your economy, and fills his ranks with just those powerfull group.
They are more in than they ever dreamed of, they even get to give themselves a trillion US$ tax cut at the expense of maybe 50.000 US lives per year. That is one Vietnam war.

best regards
Thomas

BobPatterson

Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:17 am

Flighty wrote:

I think it probably is sinking in among those who voted for him, that he lied to them. He is not delivering on his promises, and he is instead actually hurting his rust belt blue-collar base in several ways. For one, he appears to be ready to deny many of them the health insurance that he promised.

The fact that Mr. Trump's popularity in the polls is sinking is a sure sign that his base is becoming disaffected.

So yes, it is sinking in.

Dutchy

Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:04 am

BobPatterson wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

"Doesn't work like that" is no response.

No one can, under the Constitution, take away the President's (or my) right to communicate with others in any way he wishes. Period.

It is possible that he could some day, under the Constitution, be removed from office, either by the impeachment process or by being adjudged incapacitated.

He could also elect to resign.

Your insistence that we should discuss only those issues that you consider "major" is, in my opinion, nonsense. Mr. Trump's tweets are important in that they more easily reveal who he is and how sick he is, mentally and morally.

Let him self-destruct.

Oh Bob, so naieve and sweet, no of course his rights can't be taken away, well noted, such a condiseur of the law, you are. And do you lack the capacity to grasp my point? Well, ok, then I will explain myself far more clearly, so you will be able to, no problem, I will do this, just for you, that's how nice I am.

The point is if you bury the real important stuff which really impacts the life of real people and the planet under a mountain of redicuilous Tweets, sayings, acts than you are activily giving the same importance to those kind of things to the real important things like health care, enviourment.

I you want to impeach the president, Congress has enough stuff to do this.

Aesma

Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:20 am

Twitter can have all the rules they want and restrict speech. In fact they restrict free boobs and things like that. They're under pressure because of online bullying causing teens especially to commit suicide, and will remove bullying tweets.

It's very possible if Trump wasn't Trump, some of his tweets would have been deleted by Twitter itself, or his account banned altogether.

einsteinboricua

Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:37 am

Aesma wrote:
It's very possible if Trump wasn't Trump, some of his tweets would have been deleted by Twitter itself, or his account banned altogether.

Even though Twitter would have legal basis to delete Trump's account, they probably won't do that. They won't set themselves in the crosshairs of the administration or give fodder to Trump. I think they'll let him crash and burn on his own. And maybe, when he's no longer president, the account may be permanently deleted.

Dutchy

Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:25 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Even though Twitter would have legal basis to delete Trump's account, they probably won't do that. They won't set themselves in the crosshairs of the administration or give fodder to Trump. I think they'll let him crash and burn on his own. And maybe, when he's no longer president, the account may be permanently deleted.

Why would Twitter delete it? Much free publishity :D

casinterest
Topic Author

Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:47 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Unfortunately, they have said that these Twitter accounts are official Presidential records.So he is setting dangerous precedent for citizens and our country by attacking the very people and institutions that work to protect it. His right to free speech should not include shameless attacks on the press that has to cover him.

seb146

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:04 pm

casinterest wrote:

I think we should let elected officials keep posting on social media. It shows us who they really are. And this guy is obviously not professional.

Social media is a very good way to promote and explain things and keep in touch with constituents. Why take that away? And, if an elected official just happens to use their social media account for posting silly things, fine. It should all be part of the public record to be used in elections and legal proceedings and such.

seb146

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:05 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Do not delete it. Archive it so future officials can refer back to it to see how not to do things!

ER757

Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:48 pm

This guy is a national embarrassment. He has the emotional maturity of a petulant six-year old. If some hack TV show hosts can rile him this much, just think what the leader of an enemy state could do. Congress should seriously consider meeting to determine if he is mentally un-fit to serve. This latest episode is just one more in an un-ending list of rambling, sometimes incoherent rants from our president. Read the transcripts to some of his press conferences and recent interviews. He can't string two complete sentences together without going off on tangents and half-thoughts. The man is not well

Ken777

Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:50 pm

I have no problems with the Twit's Tweets. They nod a great job demonstrating just shoe bad he is.

They also show how basically stupid the guy is. The German PM had to explain TWELVE TIMES that there can be no negotiant between the US and Germany - the negotiations have to been between the EU and the US. 12 times and dumb ass finally understood. Maybe. One guy compared Trump's intelligence to a bag of hair. That pretty well defines him.

I also like to watch the embarrassment of the good people in the GOP who. squirm whenever they get hit with another totally unacceptable Twit Tweet. When it is time to get rid of the guy they will probably be supportive of impeachment.

bhill

Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:08 pm

Flighty wrote:

His base forgets that the Constitution stands in their way....

Thank God....or Allah or....

scbriml

Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:38 pm

ER757 wrote:
This guy is a national embarrassment. He has the emotional maturity of a petulant six-year old.

That's really insulting.

To six year olds!

casinterest
Topic Author

Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:41 pm

scbriml wrote:
ER757 wrote:
This guy is a national embarrassment. He has the emotional maturity of a petulant six-year old.

That's really insulting.

To six year olds!

Should we start calling Fox news and affiliates the Trump Pacifier Networks?

777222LR

Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:49 pm

What I find so insane, given how ugly he is, how much he insults the looks of others. Like, seriously dude? You may be rich, but you ugly.

BobPatterson

Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:07 pm

casinterest wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Unfortunately, they have said that these Twitter accounts are official Presidential records.So he is setting dangerous precedent for citizens and our country by attacking the very people and institutions that work to protect it. His right to free speech should not include shameless attacks on the press that has to cover him.

You apparently know nothing about other Presidents and their interactions with the press. Read up on Thomas Jefferson for starters.

Why should the media, or at least a significant portion of it, be free to attack the President while the President is being silenced?

His speech should be as free and unlimited as is yours and mine. The media have available to them the laws against slander and libel (defamation), if they have cases that are strong enough. It will, however, be a tough road to overcome a claim of absolute presidential privilege or liability (immunity).

Ken777

Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:16 pm

BobPatterson wrote:

Why should the media, or at least a significant portion of it, be free to attack the President while the President is being silenced?

His speech should be as free and unlimited as is yours and mine. The media have available to them the laws against slander and libel (defamation), if they have cases that are strong enough. It will, however, be a tough road to overcome a claim of absolute presidential privilege or liability (immunity).[/quote]

The President has far more freedom to communicate, including attacks than you or I. He is, for what ever reason,, avoiding holding press conferences, he's limited the White House Press Briefings - especially when compared to recent Presidents. And obviously he has his Tweets - his way of showing how far he is from a reasonable, normal person.

casinterest
Topic Author

Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:21 pm

[quote="BobPatterson"

His speech should be as free and unlimited as is yours and mine. The media have available to them the laws against slander and libel (defamation), if they have cases that are strong enough. It will, however, be a tough road to overcome a claim of absolute presidential privilege or liability (immunity).[/quote]

I am not trying to restrict his free speech. I am saying that the President should not use twitter for his free speech, and any of his so called supporters and friends should keep him from it, as he doesn't do himself many favors in effective communication with the limited room he has. He winds up weakening his agenda and the GOP agenda each and every day with each of his public records.

scbriml

Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:52 pm

Ken777 wrote:
The President has far more freedom to communicate, including attacks than you or I. He is, for what ever reason,, avoiding holding press conferences, he's limited the White House Press Briefings - especially when compared to recent Presidents. And obviously he has his Tweets - his way of showing how far he is from a reasonable, normal person.

For a man that can't string two coherent sentences together, Twitter's 140 character limit must seem like a godsend! It's hardly surprising that it's his preferred means of communication.

CanadaFair

Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:11 pm

I feel like trolling him, is it safe to do so?

BobPatterson

Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:40 pm

casinterest wrote:
I am not trying to restrict his free speech. I am saying that the President should not use twitter for his free speech, and any of his so called supporters and friends should keep him from it, as he doesn't do himself many favors in effective communication with the limited room he has.

He winds up weakening his agenda and the GOP agenda each and every day with each of his public records.

I gather you would like him not to weaken his agenda?

To me, it is a godsend that he is doing so.

Each day that passes without Trumpian agenda becoming law is a blessing upon the nation.

Ditto for any legislation being "crafted" by that evil man, Senator McConnell.

DIRECTFLT

Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:00 am

casinterest wrote:

No, quite the reverse casinterest.

Should we put up with these barbaric attacks on our President from the MSM?

What a big nothing burger!! Don Obama never had to attack anyone personally, as he had an army of surrogates inside and outside his Administration do it for him. Don't try to get the "moral high ground" on this one.

:lol:

seb146

Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:20 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
casinterest wrote:

No, quite the reverse casinterest.

Should we put up with these barbaric attacks on our President from the MSM?

What a big nothing burger!! Don Obama never had to attack anyone personally, as he had an army of surrogates inside and outside his Administration do it for him. Don't try to get the "moral high ground" on this one.

:lol:

When did Obama ever threaten people with "you better hope those tapes don't come out" or going off on someone's alleged face lift as a national debate? IIRC, Obama talked about things like the budget and health care and the VA and relations with other countries... you know: presidential things. It was MSM and their followers who were outraged over Obama using Dijon mustard or going to Hawaii for Christmas or playing golf.

BTW, remember how often Trump said he would play golf if elected?

BobPatterson

Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:01 am

seb146 wrote:
BTW, remember how often Trump said he would play golf if elected?

LOL :-) Thanks for bringing this up. I found this cool addition for my "Trump's Lies" folder:

https://mic.com/articles/172212/trump-o ... .Yg0rytTIo

"I just wanna stay in the White House and work my ass off, make great deals, right?"

BobPatterson

Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:16 am

Dutchy wrote:
Oh Bob, so naieve and sweet, no of course his rights can't be taken away, well noted, such a condiseur of the law, you are. And do you lack the capacity to grasp my point? Well, ok, then I will explain myself far more clearly, so you will be able to, no problem, I will do this, just for you, that's how nice I am.

The point is if you bury the real important stuff which really impacts the life of real people and the planet under a mountain of redicuilous Tweets, sayings, acts than you are activily giving the same importance to those kind of things to the real important things like health care, enviourment.

You are so far out of it that it is probably beyond my ability to return you to reality.

If the Congress really did have enough material to sustain charges for impeachment, you would hear very loud noises being made in the House of Representatives. They simply are not there yet.

However, as Mr. Trump continues to make his absurd postings on twitter (and ludicrous statements in his speeches and remarks to interviewers) he will no doubt eventually cross the line from merely contemptible to positively criminal.

See this commentary: "If President Donald Trump or members of his administration told MSNBC's Mika Brzezinski and Joe Scarborough that a National Enquirer hit piece would be published unless they provided the president with better coverage, that would be a crime, a Harvard law professor said."

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/0 ... /23010909/

Maybe even that one won't do the trick.

DIRECTFLT

Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:42 am

All this while the congressmen and women that really need psych evaluations go unchallenged: Nancy Pelosi, Maxine Waters, and John McCain, to name a few...

Dutchy

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:23 am

BobPatterson wrote:
If the Congress really did have enough material to sustain charges for impeachment, you would hear very loud noises being made in the House of Representatives. They simply are not there yet.

Really? From day one: the Trump Hotel in Washington, landlord and tenant, was prohibited in the contract, so he was in violation of that, he fixed that......

That I, as a forgeiner, have to explain this to a native, #sad, Congress is political, impeachment is political. So the loud noises will come if it is politically opportune, not before that.

MaverickM11

Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:39 am

777222LR wrote:
What I find so insane, given how ugly he is, how much he insults the looks of others. Like, seriously dude? You may be rich, but you ugly.

Exactly, and if he's gonna go after women's looks, he better hire someone better looking to do his shilling that doesn't look like the left side of her face committed suicide. Surely there's a Fox News blond-bot that would be happy to shill for Trump as much as any of the Huckabee knuckle draggers.

CanadaFair wrote:
I feel like trolling him, is it safe to do so?

Sure. Anyone with an IQ greater than that of a sebaceous cyst, ie Trump, can do it. Clearly it's easy as it's done every day.

seb146

Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:59 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

You are so far out of it that it is probably beyond my ability to return you to reality.

However, as Mr. Trump continues to make his absurd postings on twitter (and ludicrous statements in his speeches and remarks to interviewers) he will no doubt eventually cross the line from merely contemptible to positively criminal.

See this commentary: "If President Donald Trump or members of his administration told MSNBC's Mika Brzezinski and Joe Scarborough that a National Enquirer hit piece would be published unless they provided the president with better coverage, that would be a crime, a Harvard law professor said."

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/0 ... /23010909/

Maybe even that one won't do the trick.

He will not be impeached until after the mid-term elections, if Democrats regain control of both houses of Congress. Remember that Republicans always always always always put party before country. Their priorities are (in this order):

1. the rich (48%)
2. the party (48%)
3. the country (4%)

Braniff1

Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:37 pm

[quote="BobPatterson"]

Gee Bob, maybe you think you can yell fire in a crowded theater. You can't; maybe you should research your BS before you post stupidity. You may also, wish to work on your grammar?

Check this out Bobby:
"Supreme Court's 1919 decision in the case Schenck v. United States. The Court ruled unanimously that the First Amendment, though it protects freedom of expression, does not protect dangerous speech."

BobPatterson

Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:49 pm

Dutchy wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:

Really? From day one: the Trump Hotel in Washington, landlord and tenant, was prohibited in the contract, so he was in violation of that, he fixed that......

That I, as a forgeiner, have to explain this to a native, #sad, Congress is political, impeachment is political. So the loud noises will come if it is politically opportune, not before that.

After you learn how to spell foreigner you are welcome to come to the United States, become a citizen (to get standing), get a law degree (or hire a lawyer), and then try to sue to enforce the contract.

Mr. Trump in not the landlord. Google "General Services Administration, an independent agency", to learn about the landlord.

There are already several lawsuits filed and pending in this matter. Our courts can deal with it in due course. See the section on "Legal challenges associated with Trump's presidency on this page from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Post_Office_Pavilion

You really are out of your depth or in over your head in attempting to address things American.

Of course, you are always welcome to participate, as an alien, in our democracy.

BobPatterson

Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:58 pm

Braniff1 wrote:
"Supreme Court's 1919 decision in the case Schenck v. United States. The Court ruled unanimously that the First Amendment, though it protects freedom of expression, does not protect dangerous speech."

I never claimed that dangerous speech was protected. Why do you suggest that I have done so?

Surely my grammar is not so bad that it prevents you from reading with comprehension.