User avatar
ER757
Topic Author
Posts: 2686
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:42 pm

I have been waiting my entire life to be able to see a total solar eclipse and now, at age 62, my chance has arrived. Living in the Seattle area, I don't have to drive too far to get down to Oregon in order to be in the path of totality. I've got my hotel reservation in PDX for the night before and depending on the weather forecast can either head down I-5 to Salem or go over to the other side of the Cascades (the "sunny" side) to catch it there. Since this eclipse's path crosses the entire USA, wondering if anyone else is making plans to get to a place where it's visible. I'd imagine a good number of you may just be able to walk outside from your home or office and I eve you for that.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 5656
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:46 pm

ER757 wrote:
I have been waiting my entire life to be able to see a total solar eclipse and now, at age 62, my chance has arrived. Living in the Seattle area, I don't have to drive too far to get down to Oregon in order to be in the path of totality. I've got my hotel reservation in PDX for the night before and depending on the weather forecast can either head down I-5 to Salem or go over to the other side of the Cascades (the "sunny" side) to catch it there. Since this eclipse's path crosses the entire USA, wondering if anyone else is making plans to get to a place where it's visible. I'd imagine a good number of you may just be able to walk outside from your home or office and I eve you for that.


I have to work, but I should be in the 90% range to see it here.
Should be interesting.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.
 
Brick
Posts: 1528
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 1999 11:08 am

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:14 pm

I took this day off for vacation to make sure I don't miss this.

I live about 3 hours away from the center of the path of totality. My plan is to get up very early in the morning and position myself somewhere in the central part of Wyoming east of I-25 away from all roads and towns. I'm just going to find a deserted road in the middle of no where and park. I figure traffic on I-25 heading into Wyoming from Colorado is going to be a nightmare before and after the eclipse with everyone Denver driving up to Wyoming for best viewing. That's why I plan to get mobilized early and pick a spot that well away from the main highways and any built up area. After the eclipse I'll take my time heading back home to Colorado.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...
 
bhill
Posts: 1429
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2001 8:28 am

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:25 pm

ER757, yer in the same boat as I....I read in the Seattle Times that lodging for the swath of totality has been booked for YEARS...I might try to get to the OR coast, but the traffic is gonna be bad..
Carpe Pices
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 5567
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:46 pm

I'll be in Nashville. Good thing one of my best friends lives there. Now I need to find a nice spot since she's not in Nashville proper and I want to drive towards the path of totality.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
User avatar
ER757
Topic Author
Posts: 2686
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:14 pm

Brick wrote:
I took this day off for vacation to make sure I don't miss this.

I live about 3 hours away from the center of the path of totality. My plan is to get up very early in the morning and position myself somewhere in the central part of Wyoming east of I-25 away from all roads and towns. I'm just going to find a deserted road in the middle of no where and park. I figure traffic on I-25 heading into Wyoming from Colorado is going to be a nightmare before and after the eclipse with everyone Denver driving up to Wyoming for best viewing. That's why I plan to get mobilized early and pick a spot that well away from the main highways and any built up area. After the eclipse I'll take my time heading back home to Colorado.

Yeah, I plan to do the same - I'll be in the car on the road by 04:00 - if I can just slide down to Salem, I'll just park in a shopping mall parking lot or something, but if I end up on the east side, I'll be heading up a forest service road near The Three Sisters or something. Traffic afterwards will indeed be a nightmare but for a once in a lifetime chance, I will deal with it
 
Airstud
Posts: 3402
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:28 am

bhill wrote:
ER757, yer in the same boat as I....I read in the Seattle Times that lodging for the swath of totality has been booked for YEARS...I might try to get to the OR coast, but the traffic is gonna be bad..


Er... Most travel companies don't allow bookings more than one year in advance, n'est-ce pas?

Just last week I booked my room at the Holiday Inn in Council Bluffs, Ioway. Should be an hour's or so drive to the path of totalitah.

(Respect mah totalitah.)
Pancakes are delicious.
 
skywaymanaz
Posts: 706
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 1:00 pm

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:25 am

I'll be flying my Skyhawk from GYR to STJ for the eclipse. I have my hangar space all set at STJ for the trip. Vehicle parking might get interesting. The city will be holding a big event at the airport since it is located in the max eclipse zone for that area. I got clouded out at MZT in '91, ironically most of the hotel strip got a great view. I was able to see the moon's shadow race in from the ocean at supersonic speed. That was actually terrifying before the brain processed what was really happening ;) I've had great luck with annular eclipses here in AZ. Saw the one in '94 at DGL and flew the Skyhawk to PGA for the "same" (one saros later) eclipse again in '12. I've never seen a total solar eclipse so hope I don't get clouded out again. I should be able to fly above low clouds if that happens but high clouds not so much :(
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 1155
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:39 am

Starting from the DFW area, where would you drive to see the eclipse on August 21?
 
LittleFokker
Posts: 786
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:56 am

Didn't put much thought into it, until a couple of days ago when I realized that not only do I have the Monday off, but the Friday thru Tuesday off. I think I might do a day trip to MCI to get a good look at it. 100% eclipse beats the 90% eclipse in my hometown any day.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 1155
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:10 am

Here is a link to a a program called "Eclipse Across America" on Curiosity Stream. Curiosity Stream is also available via Amazon Prime accounts.

https://curiositystream.com/eclipse/
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 2400
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:11 am

I was lucky in 1970 to sit with my kids near Chincoteague, Virginia in the path of totality. One of the really cool things was watching confused birds flying to roost (in mid-afternoon, as I recall) and then flying out from the roosts not too long afterwards.

This time I plan to see the event at NASA's streaming website: https://www.nasa.gov/eclipselive

Does anyone know of other good streaming sites? I wouldn't mind having the event up on two computers sitting side by side.
Last edited by BobPatterson on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
ACDC8
Posts: 7374
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:12 am

I'll be in LAS.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 1155
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:32 am

BobPatterson wrote:
I was lucky in 1970 to sit with my kids near Chincoteague, Virginia in the path of totality. One of the really cool things was watching confused birds flying to roost (in mid-afternoon, as I recall) and then flying out from the roosts not too long afterwards.

This time I plan to see the event at NASA's streaming website: https://www.nasa.gov/eclipselive

Does anyone know of other good streaming sites? I wouldn't mind having the event up on two computers sitting side by side.


On 8 April 2024 there will be a to total eclipse that will go across Texas west of San Antonio and Austin, then go over Waco, Dallas, continue through the midwest, to Toronto, to New England.

There are lots of birds that migrate through Texas in April.
 
seb146
Posts: 15135
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:50 am

We could be in 100% totality but we will just be staying in the Bay Area with 80% totality. It will still be cool. My mom sent us solar glasses so it should be fine.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 1155
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:51 pm

Image
 
User avatar
ER757
Topic Author
Posts: 2686
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:11 pm

I'm regretting not booking a seat on the 0600 Portland to Salem Amtrack Cascades train. All indications are traffic is going to be a cluster**** afterwards. Oh well, if it's cloudy west of the Cascades, guess I'll end up being glad I am not on a train to Salem........
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 6673
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:21 pm

seb146 wrote:
My mom sent us solar glasses so it should be fine.

Just as a warning to you and everyone, be careful of the glasses or viewer you use to see the eclipse! There glasses being sold that do not truly blackout to the level needed or all the frequency's (such as ultraviolet). These items can come tagged with official looking certs and the websites even have official looking test and certification elements to make them look safe. But they are not.

For those who want to purchase glasses, the astronomical society recommends using 12 manufacturers whose products have been checked by an accredited laboratory. The glasses should not allow anything through except light from the sun or something similarly bright, such as a bright halogen light bulb, according to the society.

The group has a list of vendors who are selling approved glasses at eclipse.aas.org/resources/solar-filters

These solar filter brands have been verified to meet the safety standards for directly viewing the sun:
• American Paper Optics (Eclipser)
• APM Telescopes (Sunfilter Glasses)
• Baader Planetarium (AstroSolar Silver/Gold Film)
• Celestron (EclipSmart Glasses & Viewers)
• DayStar (Solar Glasses)
• Explore Scientific (Solar Eclipse Sun Catcher Glasses)
• Lunt Solar Systems (SUNsafe SUNglasses)
• Meade Instruments (EclipseView Glasses & Viewers)
• Rainbow Symphony (Eclipse Shades)
• Seymour Solar (Helios Glasses)
• Thousand Oaks Optical (Silver-Black Polymer & SolarLite)
• TSE 17 (Solar Filter Foil)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyle ... story.html

Please be careful everyone!

I am stuck in San Diego so no good viewing really, just a bit of dimming (which will be noticeable) and that is it. Ahh well, another time.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner
 
User avatar
Carp12c
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:24 am

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:34 pm

I have family friends who live in Nashville, which is in the path of Totality. So I'm going out there the weekend before to see them and then chase the Eclipse on Monday. I'm flying out of my way through DFW to get a ride on an American MD80 before they retire.
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 1155
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:17 pm

Here's a website that shows what the eclipse will look like from anywhere in the US.

http://time.com/4882923/total-solar-ecl ... aces-view/

Image

See How the Solar Eclipse Will Look From Anywhere in the U.S.
Chris Wilson
Aug 07, 2017
The 2017 total solar eclipse is fast approaching, and hordes of sky gazers are scrambling to find a spot where they can see the shadow of the moon completely obscure the sun for a few moments on Aug. 21.
There's technically plenty of room for every American to pack into the narrow zone from Oregon to South Carolina where the total blackout will occur, shown on this eclipse map. But most of the country will be moored in a place where they will see only a partial eclipse, which occurs when the moon will block anywhere from nearly the entire sun to just a slice of it.
So we decided to create a simulation of the eclipse (above) that shows a view of the sky from any location in the U.S., allowing you to see what the eclipse will look like from anywhere. Here's what it will look like from Goreville, Illinois, a town of 1,067 lucky people where the eclipse will last for the longest period, over two-and-a-half minutes:

http://time.com/4882923/total-solar-ecl ... aces-view/
 
prebennorholm
Posts: 6575
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2000 6:25 am

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:35 pm

seb146 wrote:
We could be in 100% totality but we will just be staying in the Bay Area with 80% totality. It will still be cool. My mom sent us solar glasses so it should be fine.

80% or 99.9% is not a real eclipse. Only at 100% do we see the solar corona. It's an extremely beautiful sight which everybody should see at least once in a lifetime.

It is very special because the human eye and brain automatically compensates for the extreme variation in light intensity from the surface of the sun to millions of miles out in space. It cannot be photographed. Only very complex photoshopping can produce something which almost looks like a real solar eclipse. http://www.astropix.com/html/j_digit/e_comp.html

If you watch from an elevated position, where you can overlook substantial parts of the surrounding landscape, then it is a fantastic view to see the shadow of the moon travel over the land from west to east at 2,000 miles per hour. Watching Venus and Mercury lined up in their orbit around the sun is also a special view to be seen during an eclipse, but only at 100%.

I had my experience on 11 August 1999 near Furstenfeldbruck in southern Germany. My brother and I had planned that trip something like twenty years in advance. We were there together with eclipse hunters from some twenty countries including Australia and the United States. Some of them had watched half a dozen eclipses, and would hunt every single one in the future never mind where it would be on planet earth. I took it as a once in a lifetime and I'm not prepared to travel half way around the earth to see the same thing again.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 1155
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:21 pm

The Best Waffle Houses To Watch The Solar Eclipse From

posted by "Nature Boy" Mike Jones @mikejonesradio - 2 days ago

Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to PrintShare to More62.8K
The solar eclipse is happening on Monday, August 21st. This event will have the world watching as the sun is completely covered by the moon. You can see all about it through NASA's Solar Eclipse website by clicking here.

One thing that was missing from NASA's research, though, is which Waffle House locations are going to be the best for eclipse viewing. Thankfully, that data has been compiled. AMERICA!

Image

Read more: http://alt1033.iheart.com/featured/mike ... z4pMCo8j9w
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 1155
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:04 am

Image
 
CplKlinger
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:05 pm

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:59 pm

My initial plans were to stay just north of the Ohio River and live with 99% because the places in the path of totality in KY were looking to be nuts and the one thing my daughter and I hate more than anything is crowds. But I've been sluething a bit this week, and I've got a bead on a location that will get me 100% and is out in the middle of absolute no where, and there are actually several great spots in that area. Hopefully people with the herd instinct will head to the big towns, but I might not be so lucky. So now my plans are to leave about 5:30-6am on Monday morning and head south with a cooler, some books and some chairs. I really don't want to miss this one, even though the totality line for 2024 runs about 4,000 north of my house.
 
NoTime
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:21 am

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:29 pm

I'll be working, but plan to take a long lunch to see what it looks like from central Ohio. I'm hoping to make better plans to experience the one in 2024.
"Anyone who doesn't accept the results of an election is a danger to democracy"- Hillary Clinton
 
Brick
Posts: 1528
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 1999 11:08 am

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:17 pm

I have plans to drive up to eastern Wyoming from Colorado to view the eclipse. I'm starting to fear traffic on I-25 and I-76 before and after the event may be worse than what we see during snowstorms. Additionally, I just found out that the solar glasses I purchased on Amazon are likely fake and I can't find any replacements locally or online. I may just can the whole thing, preserve a precious vacation day, and settle for viewing 92% totality through a pinhole at home.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...
 
tz757300
Posts: 2741
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:21 am

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Brick wrote:
Additionally, I just found out that the solar glasses I purchased on Amazon are likely fake and I can't find any replacements locally or online.


I bought mine from my local Lowe's. You mat want to see if they're in-stock on their website.

Regarding this post, I'm going to be in the middle of Nebraska off some dirt road. I'm hoping that I won't be ruined by a hoard of people trying to do the same.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
 
CplKlinger
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:05 pm

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:13 pm

tz757300 wrote:
Brick wrote:
Additionally, I just found out that the solar glasses I purchased on Amazon are likely fake and I can't find any replacements locally or online.


I bought mine from my local Lowe's. You mat want to see if they're in-stock on their website.

Regarding this post, I'm going to be in the middle of Nebraska off some dirt road. I'm hoping that I won't be ruined by a hoard of people trying to do the same.


That's what I'm hoping with my spot. It's out in the boonies of KY, and I think everyone will be heading in to the city to be with other people. Still leaving an extra two hours early to give me time to change routes if need be.
 
User avatar
ER757
Topic Author
Posts: 2686
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:31 pm

CplKlinger wrote:
tz757300 wrote:
Brick wrote:
Additionally, I just found out that the solar glasses I purchased on Amazon are likely fake and I can't find any replacements locally or online.


I bought mine from my local Lowe's. You mat want to see if they're in-stock on their website.

Regarding this post, I'm going to be in the middle of Nebraska off some dirt road. I'm hoping that I won't be ruined by a hoard of people trying to do the same.


That's what I'm hoping with my spot. It's out in the boonies of KY, and I think everyone will be heading in to the city to be with other people. Still leaving an extra two hours early to give me time to change routes if need be.

Hope that works out for you guys - my game plan to try and somewhat beat traffic it to be at the very northern edge of totality, and as soon as the sun starts to peek back out, point the car north and floor it :D
I suppose it's wishful thinking, but what the heck, if I get stuck in gridlock, so be it. Once in a lifetime chance, gotta take it.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 5567
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:15 am

The first hurdle has been cleared: getting flights and lodging to an area for the eclipse.

Now comes the second one (and probably an unavoidable one): weather.

Nashville is showing clear skies for now but for all we know the weather can change. Here's hoping it remains that way.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
StarAC17
Posts: 3441
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:54 am

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:40 pm

prebennorholm wrote:
seb146 wrote:
We could be in 100% totality but we will just be staying in the Bay Area with 80% totality. It will still be cool. My mom sent us solar glasses so it should be fine.

80% or 99.9% is not a real eclipse. Only at 100% do we see the solar corona. It's an extremely beautiful sight which everybody should see at least once in a lifetime.

It is very special because the human eye and brain automatically compensates for the extreme variation in light intensity from the surface of the sun to millions of miles out in space. It cannot be photographed. Only very complex photoshopping can produce something which almost looks like a real solar eclipse. http://www.astropix.com/html/j_digit/e_comp.html

If you watch from an elevated position, where you can overlook substantial parts of the surrounding landscape, then it is a fantastic view to see the shadow of the moon travel over the land from west to east at 2,000 miles per hour. Watching Venus and Mercury lined up in their orbit around the sun is also a special view to be seen during an eclipse, but only at 100%.

I had my experience on 11 August 1999 near Furstenfeldbruck in southern Germany. My brother and I had planned that trip something like twenty years in advance. We were there together with eclipse hunters from some twenty countries including Australia and the United States. Some of them had watched half a dozen eclipses, and would hunt every single one in the future never mind where it would be on planet earth. I took it as a once in a lifetime and I'm not prepared to travel half way around the earth to see the same thing again.


I think it is 75% coverage in Toronto. I am off that day and plan to head the the CNE where there will be people lending out glassed to look at the partial eclipse. The only one I remember seeing was an annular eclipse on May 10, 1994. Was really scared to look at it as a 10 year old (probably a good idea) but it was cool how dimmed the sky was.

I am excited for the 2024 one though as it will be total or near total in the Greater Toronto Area.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1337Delta764, 787Driver, aerosreenivas, Aesma, Alfons, BobPatterson, Google [Bot], ltbewr, luckyone, maortega15, ogre727, StarAC17, TheF15Ace and 3 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos