ER757
Topic Author

Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:42 pm

I have been waiting my entire life to be able to see a total solar eclipse and now, at age 62, my chance has arrived. Living in the Seattle area, I don't have to drive too far to get down to Oregon in order to be in the path of totality. I've got my hotel reservation in PDX for the night before and depending on the weather forecast can either head down I-5 to Salem or go over to the other side of the Cascades (the "sunny" side) to catch it there. Since this eclipse's path crosses the entire USA, wondering if anyone else is making plans to get to a place where it's visible. I'd imagine a good number of you may just be able to walk outside from your home or office and I eve you for that.

casinterest

Re: Solar Eclipse August 21 - will you be going to view it?

Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:46 pm

ER757 wrote:
I have been waiting my entire life to be able to see a total solar eclipse and now, at age 62, my chance has arrived. Living in the Seattle area, I don't have to drive too far to get down to Oregon in order to be in the path of totality. I've got my hotel reservation in PDX for the night before and depending on the weather forecast can either head down I-5 to Salem or go over to the other side of the Cascades (the "sunny" side) to catch it there. Since this eclipse's path crosses the entire USA, wondering if anyone else is making plans to get to a place where it's visible. I'd imagine a good number of you may just be able to walk outside from your home or office and I eve you for that.

I have to work, but I should be in the 90% range to see it here.
Should be interesting.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

Brick

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:14 pm

I took this day off for vacation to make sure I don't miss this.

I live about 3 hours away from the center of the path of totality. My plan is to get up very early in the morning and position myself somewhere in the central part of Wyoming east of I-25 away from all roads and towns. I'm just going to find a deserted road in the middle of no where and park. I figure traffic on I-25 heading into Wyoming from Colorado is going to be a nightmare before and after the eclipse with everyone Denver driving up to Wyoming for best viewing. That's why I plan to get mobilized early and pick a spot that well away from the main highways and any built up area. After the eclipse I'll take my time heading back home to Colorado.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

bhill

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:25 pm

ER757, yer in the same boat as I....I read in the Seattle Times that lodging for the swath of totality has been booked for YEARS...I might try to get to the OR coast, but the traffic is gonna be bad..
Carpe Pices

einsteinboricua

Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:46 pm

I'll be in Nashville. Good thing one of my best friends lives there. Now I need to find a nice spot since she's not in Nashville proper and I want to drive towards the path of totality.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

ER757
Topic Author

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:14 pm

Brick wrote:
I took this day off for vacation to make sure I don't miss this.

I live about 3 hours away from the center of the path of totality. My plan is to get up very early in the morning and position myself somewhere in the central part of Wyoming east of I-25 away from all roads and towns. I'm just going to find a deserted road in the middle of no where and park. I figure traffic on I-25 heading into Wyoming from Colorado is going to be a nightmare before and after the eclipse with everyone Denver driving up to Wyoming for best viewing. That's why I plan to get mobilized early and pick a spot that well away from the main highways and any built up area. After the eclipse I'll take my time heading back home to Colorado.

Yeah, I plan to do the same - I'll be in the car on the road by 04:00 - if I can just slide down to Salem, I'll just park in a shopping mall parking lot or something, but if I end up on the east side, I'll be heading up a forest service road near The Three Sisters or something. Traffic afterwards will indeed be a nightmare but for a once in a lifetime chance, I will deal with it

Airstud

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:28 am

bhill wrote:
ER757, yer in the same boat as I....I read in the Seattle Times that lodging for the swath of totality has been booked for YEARS...I might try to get to the OR coast, but the traffic is gonna be bad..

Er... Most travel companies don't allow bookings more than one year in advance, n'est-ce pas?

Just last week I booked my room at the Holiday Inn in Council Bluffs, Ioway. Should be an hour's or so drive to the path of totalitah.

(Respect mah totalitah.)
Pancakes are delicious.

skywaymanaz

Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:25 am

I'll be flying my Skyhawk from GYR to STJ for the eclipse. I have my hangar space all set at STJ for the trip. Vehicle parking might get interesting. The city will be holding a big event at the airport since it is located in the max eclipse zone for that area. I got clouded out at MZT in '91, ironically most of the hotel strip got a great view. I was able to see the moon's shadow race in from the ocean at supersonic speed. That was actually terrifying before the brain processed what was really happening ;) I've had great luck with annular eclipses here in AZ. Saw the one in '94 at DGL and flew the Skyhawk to PGA for the "same" (one saros later) eclipse again in '12. I've never seen a total solar eclipse so hope I don't get clouded out again. I should be able to fly above low clouds if that happens but high clouds not so much :(

flyingclrs727

Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:39 am

Starting from the DFW area, where would you drive to see the eclipse on August 21?

LittleFokker

Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:56 am

Didn't put much thought into it, until a couple of days ago when I realized that not only do I have the Monday off, but the Friday thru Tuesday off. I think I might do a day trip to MCI to get a good look at it. 100% eclipse beats the 90% eclipse in my hometown any day.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

flyingclrs727

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:10 am

Here is a link to a a program called "Eclipse Across America" on Curiosity Stream. Curiosity Stream is also available via Amazon Prime accounts.

https://curiositystream.com/eclipse/

BobPatterson

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:11 am

I was lucky in 1970 to sit with my kids near Chincoteague, Virginia in the path of totality. One of the really cool things was watching confused birds flying to roost (in mid-afternoon, as I recall) and then flying out from the roosts not too long afterwards.

This time I plan to see the event at NASA's streaming website: https://www.nasa.gov/eclipselive

Does anyone know of other good streaming sites? I wouldn't mind having the event up on two computers sitting side by side.
Last edited by BobPatterson on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

ACDC8

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:12 am

I'll be in LAS.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

flyingclrs727

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:32 am

BobPatterson wrote:
I was lucky in 1970 to sit with my kids near Chincoteague, Virginia in the path of totality. One of the really cool things was watching confused birds flying to roost (in mid-afternoon, as I recall) and then flying out from the roosts not too long afterwards.

This time I plan to see the event at NASA's streaming website: https://www.nasa.gov/eclipselive

Does anyone know of other good streaming sites? I wouldn't mind having the event up on two computers sitting side by side.

On 8 April 2024 there will be a to total eclipse that will go across Texas west of San Antonio and Austin, then go over Waco, Dallas, continue through the midwest, to Toronto, to New England.

There are lots of birds that migrate through Texas in April.

seb146

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:50 am

We could be in 100% totality but we will just be staying in the Bay Area with 80% totality. It will still be cool. My mom sent us solar glasses so it should be fine.
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter

flyingclrs727

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:51 pm

ER757
Topic Author

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:11 pm

I'm regretting not booking a seat on the 0600 Portland to Salem Amtrack Cascades train. All indications are traffic is going to be a cluster**** afterwards. Oh well, if it's cloudy west of the Cascades, guess I'll end up being glad I am not on a train to Salem........

Tugger

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:21 pm

seb146 wrote:
My mom sent us solar glasses so it should be fine.

Just as a warning to you and everyone, be careful of the glasses or viewer you use to see the eclipse! There glasses being sold that do not truly blackout to the level needed or all the frequency's (such as ultraviolet). These items can come tagged with official looking certs and the websites even have official looking test and certification elements to make them look safe. But they are not.

For those who want to purchase glasses, the astronomical society recommends using 12 manufacturers whose products have been checked by an accredited laboratory. The glasses should not allow anything through except light from the sun or something similarly bright, such as a bright halogen light bulb, according to the society.

The group has a list of vendors who are selling approved glasses at eclipse.aas.org/resources/solar-filters

These solar filter brands have been verified to meet the safety standards for directly viewing the sun:
• American Paper Optics (Eclipser)
• APM Telescopes (Sunfilter Glasses)
• Baader Planetarium (AstroSolar Silver/Gold Film)
• Celestron (EclipSmart Glasses & Viewers)
• DayStar (Solar Glasses)
• Explore Scientific (Solar Eclipse Sun Catcher Glasses)
• Lunt Solar Systems (SUNsafe SUNglasses)
• Meade Instruments (EclipseView Glasses & Viewers)
• Rainbow Symphony (Eclipse Shades)
• Seymour Solar (Helios Glasses)
• Thousand Oaks Optical (Silver-Black Polymer & SolarLite)
• TSE 17 (Solar Filter Foil)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyle ... story.html

Please be careful everyone!

I am stuck in San Diego so no good viewing really, just a bit of dimming (which will be noticeable) and that is it. Ahh well, another time.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Carp12c

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:34 pm

I have family friends who live in Nashville, which is in the path of Totality. So I'm going out there the weekend before to see them and then chase the Eclipse on Monday. I'm flying out of my way through DFW to get a ride on an American MD80 before they retire.

flyingclrs727

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:17 pm

Here's a website that shows what the eclipse will look like from anywhere in the US.

http://time.com/4882923/total-solar-ecl ... aces-view/

See How the Solar Eclipse Will Look From Anywhere in the U.S.
Chris Wilson
Aug 07, 2017
The 2017 total solar eclipse is fast approaching, and hordes of sky gazers are scrambling to find a spot where they can see the shadow of the moon completely obscure the sun for a few moments on Aug. 21.
There's technically plenty of room for every American to pack into the narrow zone from Oregon to South Carolina where the total blackout will occur, shown on this eclipse map. But most of the country will be moored in a place where they will see only a partial eclipse, which occurs when the moon will block anywhere from nearly the entire sun to just a slice of it.
So we decided to create a simulation of the eclipse (above) that shows a view of the sky from any location in the U.S., allowing you to see what the eclipse will look like from anywhere. Here's what it will look like from Goreville, Illinois, a town of 1,067 lucky people where the eclipse will last for the longest period, over two-and-a-half minutes:

http://time.com/4882923/total-solar-ecl ... aces-view/

prebennorholm

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:35 pm

seb146 wrote:
We could be in 100% totality but we will just be staying in the Bay Area with 80% totality. It will still be cool. My mom sent us solar glasses so it should be fine.

80% or 99.9% is not a real eclipse. Only at 100% do we see the solar corona. It's an extremely beautiful sight which everybody should see at least once in a lifetime.

It is very special because the human eye and brain automatically compensates for the extreme variation in light intensity from the surface of the sun to millions of miles out in space. It cannot be photographed. Only very complex photoshopping can produce something which almost looks like a real solar eclipse. http://www.astropix.com/html/j_digit/e_comp.html

If you watch from an elevated position, where you can overlook substantial parts of the surrounding landscape, then it is a fantastic view to see the shadow of the moon travel over the land from west to east at 2,000 miles per hour. Watching Venus and Mercury lined up in their orbit around the sun is also a special view to be seen during an eclipse, but only at 100%.

I had my experience on 11 August 1999 near Furstenfeldbruck in southern Germany. My brother and I had planned that trip something like twenty years in advance. We were there together with eclipse hunters from some twenty countries including Australia and the United States. Some of them had watched half a dozen eclipses, and would hunt every single one in the future never mind where it would be on planet earth. I took it as a once in a lifetime and I'm not prepared to travel half way around the earth to see the same thing again.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

flyingclrs727

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:21 pm

The Best Waffle Houses To Watch The Solar Eclipse From

posted by "Nature Boy" Mike Jones @mikejonesradio - 2 days ago

Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to PrintShare to More62.8K
The solar eclipse is happening on Monday, August 21st. This event will have the world watching as the sun is completely covered by the moon. You can see all about it through NASA's Solar Eclipse website by clicking here.

One thing that was missing from NASA's research, though, is which Waffle House locations are going to be the best for eclipse viewing. Thankfully, that data has been compiled. AMERICA!

Read more: http://alt1033.iheart.com/featured/mike ... z4pMCo8j9w

flyingclrs727

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:04 am

CplKlinger

Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:59 pm

My initial plans were to stay just north of the Ohio River and live with 99% because the places in the path of totality in KY were looking to be nuts and the one thing my daughter and I hate more than anything is crowds. But I've been sluething a bit this week, and I've got a bead on a location that will get me 100% and is out in the middle of absolute no where, and there are actually several great spots in that area. Hopefully people with the herd instinct will head to the big towns, but I might not be so lucky. So now my plans are to leave about 5:30-6am on Monday morning and head south with a cooler, some books and some chairs. I really don't want to miss this one, even though the totality line for 2024 runs about 4,000 north of my house.

NoTime

Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:29 pm

I'll be working, but plan to take a long lunch to see what it looks like from central Ohio. I'm hoping to make better plans to experience the one in 2024.

Brick

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:17 pm

I have plans to drive up to eastern Wyoming from Colorado to view the eclipse. I'm starting to fear traffic on I-25 and I-76 before and after the event may be worse than what we see during snowstorms. Additionally, I just found out that the solar glasses I purchased on Amazon are likely fake and I can't find any replacements locally or online. I may just can the whole thing, preserve a precious vacation day, and settle for viewing 92% totality through a pinhole at home.

tz757300

Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Brick wrote:
Additionally, I just found out that the solar glasses I purchased on Amazon are likely fake and I can't find any replacements locally or online.

I bought mine from my local Lowe's. You mat want to see if they're in-stock on their website.

Regarding this post, I'm going to be in the middle of Nebraska off some dirt road. I'm hoping that I won't be ruined by a hoard of people trying to do the same.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

CplKlinger

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:13 pm

tz757300 wrote:
Brick wrote:
Additionally, I just found out that the solar glasses I purchased on Amazon are likely fake and I can't find any replacements locally or online.

I bought mine from my local Lowe's. You mat want to see if they're in-stock on their website.

Regarding this post, I'm going to be in the middle of Nebraska off some dirt road. I'm hoping that I won't be ruined by a hoard of people trying to do the same.

That's what I'm hoping with my spot. It's out in the boonies of KY, and I think everyone will be heading in to the city to be with other people. Still leaving an extra two hours early to give me time to change routes if need be.

ER757
Topic Author

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:31 pm

CplKlinger wrote:
tz757300 wrote:
Brick wrote:

That's what I'm hoping with my spot. It's out in the boonies of KY, and I think everyone will be heading in to the city to be with other people. Still leaving an extra two hours early to give me time to change routes if need be.

Hope that works out for you guys - my game plan to try and somewhat beat traffic it to be at the very northern edge of totality, and as soon as the sun starts to peek back out, point the car north and floor it :D
I suppose it's wishful thinking, but what the heck, if I get stuck in gridlock, so be it. Once in a lifetime chance, gotta take it.

einsteinboricua

Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:15 am

The first hurdle has been cleared: getting flights and lodging to an area for the eclipse.

Now comes the second one (and probably an unavoidable one): weather.

Nashville is showing clear skies for now but for all we know the weather can change. Here's hoping it remains that way.

StarAC17

Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:40 pm

prebennorholm wrote:
seb146 wrote:

80% or 99.9% is not a real eclipse. Only at 100% do we see the solar corona. It's an extremely beautiful sight which everybody should see at least once in a lifetime.

It is very special because the human eye and brain automatically compensates for the extreme variation in light intensity from the surface of the sun to millions of miles out in space. It cannot be photographed. Only very complex photoshopping can produce something which almost looks like a real solar eclipse. http://www.astropix.com/html/j_digit/e_comp.html

If you watch from an elevated position, where you can overlook substantial parts of the surrounding landscape, then it is a fantastic view to see the shadow of the moon travel over the land from west to east at 2,000 miles per hour. Watching Venus and Mercury lined up in their orbit around the sun is also a special view to be seen during an eclipse, but only at 100%.

I had my experience on 11 August 1999 near Furstenfeldbruck in southern Germany. My brother and I had planned that trip something like twenty years in advance. We were there together with eclipse hunters from some twenty countries including Australia and the United States. Some of them had watched half a dozen eclipses, and would hunt every single one in the future never mind where it would be on planet earth. I took it as a once in a lifetime and I'm not prepared to travel half way around the earth to see the same thing again.

I think it is 75% coverage in Toronto. I am off that day and plan to head the the CNE where there will be people lending out glassed to look at the partial eclipse. The only one I remember seeing was an annular eclipse on May 10, 1994. Was really scared to look at it as a 10 year old (probably a good idea) but it was cool how dimmed the sky was.

I am excited for the 2024 one though as it will be total or near total in the Greater Toronto Area.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

flyingclrs727

Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:03 am

StarAC17 wrote:
prebennorholm wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I think it is 75% coverage in Toronto. I am off that day and plan to head the the CNE where there will be people lending out glassed to look at the partial eclipse. The only one I remember seeing was an annular eclipse on May 10, 1994. Was really scared to look at it as a 10 year old (probably a good idea) but it was cool how dimmed the sky was.

I am excited for the 2024 one though as it will be total or near total in the Greater Toronto Area.

The path of totality for the 2024 eclipse will be about 150 to 200 miles from where I live in south Texas. What's really awesome is that 6 months before the total eclipse, an annular solar eclipse will pass through San Antonio and Corpus Christi.

DIRECTFLT

Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:44 am

Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

treetreeseven

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:00 am

Officials in Oregon have been hyperventilating for weeks about traffic armageddon. Telling people to bring 3 days of meds and water no matter what their plans. Warning of gas shortages. Extra medevac helicopters. National guard on standby.

Evidently it worked and dissuaded a ton of people, because aside from one major issue Thursday near Prineville, there's ... no problem. Yeah, the bulk of the problem will be after the eclipse is over, but it was widely expected to be really, really bad leading into it as well.

I'm not going to make it to see totality based on these warnings. My current living situation makes a multi-day excursion into the wildfire-ravaged zombie uprising untenable. But based on what's going on now, and even assuming quintupled travel time back, I could have figured it out and made it with enough advance time for planning.

Depressing.

flipdewaf

Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:26 pm

FAKE NEWS!

It's a conspiracy, there is no more evidence for this being than climate change or evolution and we know they are fake so why should we think this is real? Sure the government (Obama) will tow a disc behind one of the saucers from Roswell to make you "sheeple" think the right things, you see trump will make us see the light.

On a less stupid note I'm pretty jealous of all you folk who will get to see this (I'm in the UK), I have seen 80% but to see totality is on my bucket list.

Fred

Tugger

Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:12 pm

And it begins!

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Aesma

Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:49 pm

prebennorholm wrote:

I was vacationing in France for that one, but not on the path. So with my family we took the ferry to Portsmouth for the day. Unfortunately there was a total cloud cover ! We still got to see the darkness but not the sun behind the moon.

So it's still on my bucket list.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

casinterest

Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:44 pm

We are supposed to get 94% here.
I just went outside in Raleigh and we have a cookie bite of the moon in place

TWA772LR

Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:57 pm

Hello from Houston!
Use this as the soundtrack while watching the eclipse!
http://youtu.be/dfe8tCcHnKY?t=15s
"It's not getting to the land of the nonrev that's the problem, it's getting back." ~~Captain Hector Barbossa

727LOVER

Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:27 pm

I don't really care that much....but MAYBE I'll go see the next one in 2024

Looks like Dallas, Little Rock, Cleveland & Buffalo will see the totality.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather- ... 4/70002507

Something good happening in Cleveland & Buffalo??...the world IS ending :rotfl:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

casinterest

Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:55 pm

Well it got dimmer here, in the 94% area. but still rather bright. Would have been neater in the total eclipse range.

The leaves were the most interesting part, with thier eclipse shadows.

727LOVER

Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:00 pm

Sarasota---I saw jack!
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

DIRECTFLT

Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:33 pm

During totality, at various locations, for whatever reason, most of the Network coverage showed either, their correspondent, or the people reacting to the eclipse, or a filtered scientific view of the sun's corona.

But occasionally, for a a short time, they showed an unfiltered view of the totality, as you see it from the ground, and it was that view, that made me think of the title to the Soundgarden song "Black Hole Sun", because, you could see a black hole surrounded by the outer light of the sun.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

nitepilot79

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:04 pm

Wow, that was wild! I'm in the 90% zone and it was like looking at the cover of a fantasy novel. I walked out to the park and found a spot on the grass right on bank of the lake, and was floored. I'll never forget those hues. I'd look up and bugs were buzzing around the trees and their wings were fairly translucent so they had this otherworldly, dark-gold glow. Then a departing UA 738 flew right over the park right around the time of the maximum eclipse effect. It was pretty magical. Where's the replay button??

treetreeseven

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:22 pm

99.4% here. Very surreal and the birds acted up. Right at our peak, for 20-30 seconds, we saw shadow bands everywhere! I'd somehow never heard of them and neither had most of the other few hundred people hanging out in the same park, because a number of us were quite startled. We were already excited because we were right near peak when suddenly wildly undulating and shimmering lines of faint shadow raced across everything.

It's caused by refraction of light through turbulent air when the visible portion of the sun becomes close enough to a point source of light instead of a disc. Evidently it's fairly uncommon to see them as total eclipses go, so even though we did not see totality where I am, that was really cool and something some eclipse chasers have not actually seen!

einsteinboricua

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:26 pm

Man, that was unbelievable and surreal. I loved every moment of it. I was kinda pissed that clouds blocked the moment totality began (though you could tell all around that we were in totality) but a late break in the clouds allowed us to enjoy about 30 seconds before totality ended.

Definitely gonna go to the 2024 one as well.

vikkyvik

Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:40 am

We only got somewhere around 60% here, but nevertheless....Thankfully, the marine layer burned off fairly early this morning:

I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

flyingclrs727

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:37 am

My wife and I drove to a farm near Portland, Tennessee that was charging $10 per car to park. The farm also had a restaurant

flyingclrs727

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:43 am

My wife and I drove to a farm near Portland, Tennessee that was charging $10 per car to park. The farm also had a restaurant and camping facilities. It much less crowded than the Tennessee Welcome Center on I-65 which was my contingency location.

Brick

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:11 pm

I'm pretty sure I-25 between Colorado and Wyoming had the worst post-eclipse traffic in the entire country. The drive from central and eastern Wyoming back to the Denver metro after the eclipse ended was between 10 and 12 hours (in normal traffic it is less than 4 hours). One of my friends viewed the eclipse in Casper, Wyoming. He left Casper at 2:00pm and did not arrive into the Denver metro area until 1:30am. I'm glad I declined to go because I would have shot myself dealing with that traffic.