Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

photopilot
Topic Author

Canadian Forces Sniper makes world record kill shot....

Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:25 pm

A sniper with Canada's elite special forces in Iraq has shattered the world record for the longest confirmed kill shot in military history at a staggering distance of 3,450 metres.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/p ... ice=mobile

That is a staggering amount of training, talent, skill and yes, a bit of luck. That's how you take the bad guys out.

dtw2hyd

Re: Canadian Forces Sniper makes world record kill shot....

Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:28 pm

Seriously, I thought we are #1.

Dutchy

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:33 pm

photopilot wrote:
A sniper with Canada's elite special forces in Iraq has shattered the world record for the longest confirmed kill shot in military history at a staggering distance of 3,450 metres.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/p ... ice=mobile

That is a staggering amount of training, talent, skill and yes, a bit of luck. That's how you take the bad guys out.

You are still talking about taking a human life. No need to get over exided about that. And yes, for the technical aspects, well done by this sniper.

WIederling

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:59 pm

photopilot wrote:
That's how you take the bad guys out.

A gun is completely agnostic as to good and bad.

A sniper, be he employed by the military or some other group
is nothing more than a paid killer unthinkingly doing some even more remoded persons bidding.

So better stop the festivities.

bhill

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:02 pm

WIederling wrote:
photopilot wrote:

is nothing more than a paid killer unthinkingly doing some even more remoded persons bidding.

Bullshit...this is a WAR ZONE.....full of volunteers...no festivities at all, just another day in the life of a soldier.....

Great shot too!

TWA772LR

Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Didn't another Canadian top Chris Kyle shortly after his shot? So wouldn't that put Canada at 1 and 2?

Edit: Never mind, I read the article. :)

jetwet1

Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:21 pm

To a few of the people posting, this is a trained army sniper, killing a person looking to do harm to innocent civilians and members of our armed forces, good shot, happy hunting.

yfbflyer

Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:50 pm

The number has been revised it was actually 3540m which is 11614ft

dfwjim1

Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:54 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
To a few of the people posting, this is a trained army sniper, killing a person looking to do harm to innocent civilians and members of our armed forces, good shot, happy hunting.

In something like this is the sniper aiming to shoot the bad guy in the head or is it more of a main body shot? Or does it really matter?

JJJ

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:07 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

In something like this is the sniper aiming to shoot the bad guy in the head or is it more of a main body shot? Or does it really matter?

Google what a .50 cal high velocity round does to your body. Anything close to center mass is pretty much a guaranteed trip to your choice of religious afterlife.

A very messy one, too.

Dutchy

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:55 pm

jetwet1 wrote:

I understand, but to militaristic to me. I understand that he is a professional, I understand that people die in a war, I understand that this soldier probably (and hopefully) saved lives. Still, I find no need to speak of any joy if someone gets killed, no matter who it is, do you?

wingman

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:01 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:

It doesn't really matter in this case. This was an ISIS terrorist which is basically a walking pile of dog shit. So you can hit that turd at the top of the swirl or down in central log area and it's all the same. What does matter is spraying it into enough tiny bits that it doesn't stink up the planet anymore.

Hats off to our brothers up North, thank you for all you do and may many new records get set using ISIS turd targets in this wonderful challenge we have going on.

Hello SEALs, Force Recon, Green Berets...you guys asleep here?

jetwet1

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:12 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

I've fired a Model 82A1 Barrett, using water melons as targets....It really doesn't matter, if the bullet hits, large chunks of matter are separating from the target.

wingman wrote:

Not even close

Edit : Here you go, skip to the 1m 30 sec mark to see what a .50 cal does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hpF4IBqkTM

johns624

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:28 pm

At that distance, you're just hoping to hit the target anywhere. I'm sure that it took at least a couple of shots to connect. Most scopes don't have enough elevation to compensate for that much range.

lugie

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:58 pm

I'm generally not a fan of guns or boisterous militarism but even less one of those ISIS scumbags so I'll have to admit this is really impressive. Even more so because it hit one of those who deserved it most.

The thing I find really interesting from a technical perspective is the fact that the article mentions that the bullet took just under 10 seconds to arrive on target... it's really hard to imagine a bullet travelling that long and still managing to hit someone fatally

dmg626

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:28 pm

Awesome job done by our neighbors to the North, keep it up, many more targets to go!

DarkSnowyNight

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:09 am

I would just really love to know more about that scope. The heat haze must be tremendous this time of year.

dfwjim1

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:53 am

jetwet1 wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

I've fired a Model 82A1 Barrett, using water melons as targets....It really doesn't matter, if the bullet hits, large chunks of matter are separating from the target.

wingman wrote:

Not even close

Edit : Here you go, skip to the 1m 30 sec mark to see what a .50 cal does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hpF4IBqkTM

Like the slow motion part!

Dreadnought

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:00 am

I work on the 19th floor, and on google maps I figured out a spot about 3500 meters away from my window. People were hardly visible, and then you take into account the bullet drop at that distance, what a shot!

WarRI1

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:03 am

I say that anyone who takes out an ISIS member is doing a good job, a well done to Canada. Keep up the good work.

photopilot
Topic Author

Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:09 am

WIederling wrote:
photopilot wrote:

Ahhhhh bovine feces!!!! Is that any different than the B-52 pilot dropping bombs, or the fighter jock dropping a precision guided munition? And what about the Predator Drones and their Hellfire missiles? Are the pilots/operators of those also just paid killers as you note above? And let's be frank here. A well placed sniper round is one kill for one shot, unlike missiles and bombs there are often dozens of people killed in what is euphemistically referred to as "collateral damage".

Airstud

Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:17 am

Dutchy wrote:
Still, I find no need to speak of any joy if someone gets killed, no matter who it is, do you?

When the person who gets killed is a person who we know had every intention of killing a huge number of innocents, then a modicum of joy is not inappropriate.

tommy1808

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:30 am

Airstud wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Still, I find no need to speak of any joy if someone gets killed, no matter who it is, do you?

When the person who gets killed is a person who we know had every intention of killing a huge number of innocents, then a modicum of joy is not inappropriate.

Dutchy

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:13 pm

Airstud wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

I think it is necessary, but I feel no joy, but that's me.

mad99

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:01 pm

3500m/10 sec = 350m per sec
did he throw it?

tommy1808

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:10 pm

mad99 wrote:
3500m/10 sec = 350m per sec
did he throw it?

They slow down in flight. On impact it will have been way subsonic.

best regards
Thomas

coolian2

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:27 pm

jetwet1 wrote:

You had me until happy hunting, which is just gross.

cjg225

Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:19 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:

Movies and video games have popularized the idea that snipers always aim for the head. Heck, in video games recently you get more points for hitting the head along with a higher chance of killing an opponent with the shot vs. hitting the opponent in any other part of the body.

But, in reality, you're trained to aim for center mass. Sure, there is the risk that body armor may stop the shot, but the main benefit is that the torso is a much, much bigger target than the head. Aiming for the head can deliver an immediately lethal shot, but... not all shots that head the head are lethal and the chance that you miss is substantially greater given the small size of the head compared to the rest of the body.

Especially with larger-calibre bullets, hitting the upper chest is just as good as hitting the head in terms of lethality. There's this thing call hydrostatic shock that is, basically, the shockwaves that propagate through the body when a bullet strikes it. You know how there's that common belief about the human body being about 60% water? That's a lot of water for the volume of an adult human. Since water doesn't compress, the stuff that was in the place that the bullet occupies when it strikes the body has to be displaced somehow. Even though a bullet is very small, it strikes the human body so fast that even the small amount of water (and other things, like tissue, of course) has to be displaced so fast that it creates a devastating shockwave through the body. The thing about the chest is that there's a very, very, very important organ there called the heart. And for as strong as the heart is as an organ/muscle... it's extremely susceptible to disruption from hydrostatic shock. If the shock is bad enough, the heart can actually explode. A person is dead instantly if that happens. There's not even the slightest chance of survival. They are, as the saying goes, "dead before they hit the ground."

More on hydrostatic shock: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrostatic_shock_(firearms)

Kiwirob

Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:12 am

coolian2 wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

You had me until happy hunting, which is just gross.

Give it a break, what do you think a snipers job is? Snipers hunt humans, its that simple.

WIederling

Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:49 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Give it a break, what do you think a snipers job is? Snipers hunt humans, its that simple.

~ Hitman, contract murderer.

About as base as can be.

GDB

Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:39 am

WIederling wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

About as base as can be.

Rather less 'base' than the numerous atrocities carried out with glee by ISIS. Mass murder (often against women and children), mass slavery, mass rape, yes the poor lamb who got hit was such an innocent.
We don't know who he was, might have been someone living in the West who went to indulge in ISIS terror, might have even been thinking of coming back to commit terror attacks back 'home', maybe not far from you.
Which has happened if you haven't noticed.

Very impressive shot, as stated in the report, the British Army sniper whose record was broken, had a smaller caliber weapon (though still pretty large), all the same, I guess more recoil and the distance calculations make using a .50 no easy thing.
(Other notable ones include in Afghanistan, where a British Army sniper engaged a Taliban section, by chance he hit the one wearing a suicide vest which detonated and took out the rest of the section. Another was by a SBS - essentially the Royal Marines SAS - who hit a targeted Taliban commander from a helicopter - don't know the distance involved but it could not have been too close to say the least).

A recent other piece of precision was via a RAF drone, it had spotted a crowd being held by ISIS fighters, who also seemed to be preparing to execute some people, using a Hellfire missile against them would have obviously killed civilians, so the Reaper controller instead fired one at a guard tower nearby, it blew the tower and the ISIS fighter away, the rest of the ISIS fighters scattered, leaving both the prisoners and crowd to escape, self preservation being uppermost in the ISIS fighter's minds at that moment.

WIederling

Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:12 pm

GDB wrote:

Bah. Target acquisition quality is abysmal. In all probability he probably shot a goat herder with a stick.

Reigning in the Saudis and going for "sane" foreign politics on the US side
would have never let this come up. ISIS is a western interests product.

johns624

Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:56 am

WIederling wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

About as base as can be.
Nope, just ordinary soldiers who are better shots than most. That doesn't make them more evil, just more talented.

GDB

Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:58 am

WIederling wrote:
GDB wrote:

Bah. Target acquisition quality is abysmal. In all probability he probably shot a goat herder with a stick.

And you'd be quite the expert wouldn't you?
How do you know about the target acquisition there, on the day, keeping a watch? Checking the weather for the area?
They do have things called scopes, as well as spotters, who are highly trained.
Do enlighten us with your massive knowledge.

wingman

Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:21 pm

This guy would blame "The West" if he crapped his own pants. I can see the spastic connection to Monsanto's evil soybeans somehow sneaking into his Muesli already.

Braniff1

Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:59 pm

WIederling wrote:
GDB wrote:

"WIelding," is it possible that you're an ISIS sympathizer?

VSMUT

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:26 pm

Braniff1 wrote:
WIederling wrote:
GDB wrote:

He is right though. ISIS is ultimately, one way or another, the result of western meddling in the Middle East. And the ISIS terrorist was pretty likely just a goat-herder or some other bottom-dweller in society.

Braniff1

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:09 am

VSMUT wrote:
Braniff1 wrote:
WIederling wrote:

He is right though. ISIS is ultimately, one way or another, the result of western meddling in the Middle East. And the ISIS terrorist was pretty likely just a goat-herder or some other bottom-dweller in society.

It's good he has you to speak for him. Also, I was unaware that ISIS murderers were equated to goat herders. I know some very good people in this country and in Mexico who are herders and they have zero in common with ISIS and their lot. Yet, each to his own mentality.

VSMUT

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:18 am

Braniff1 wrote:
Also, I was unaware that ISIS murderers were equated to goat herders. I know some very good people in this country and in Mexico who are herders and they have zero in common with ISIS and their lot. Yet, each to his own mentality.

Well I doubt that the average ISIS terrorist is a bank manager or university professor.

Braniff1 wrote:
It's good he has you to speak for him.

George Bush just called on behalf of 2001. They want their "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists" mentality back again.

Pyrex

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:14 pm

VSMUT wrote:

He is right though. ISIS is ultimately, one way or another, the result of western meddling in the Middle East.

Yes, because at no other point in recorded human history Muslims tried to murder, rape and pillage their way into establishing a caliphate, conquering other lands by force, forcibly converting or killing all the infidels and otherwise subjugating their residents to their will. Oh wait, of course they did, starting with their own infallible prophet that cannot be questioned, Mohammad, the original Al-Baghdadi.

VSMUT

Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:04 pm

Pyrex wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

He is right though. ISIS is ultimately, one way or another, the result of western meddling in the Middle East.

Yes, because at no other point in recorded human history Muslims tried to murder, rape and pillage their way into establishing a caliphate, conquering other lands by force, forcibly converting or killing all the infidels and otherwise subjugating their residents to their will. Oh wait, of course they did, starting with their own infallible prophet that cannot be questioned, Mohammad, the original Al-Baghdadi.

Which is exactly why the west shouldn't have toppled dictators like Saddam, kept supplying weapons to Saudi Arabia or established groups of "freedom fighters" who invariably end up turning against the west. And maybe for once redraw the borders to take the Shia-Sunni-Kurd split into account, and treat the Saudi regime like the scumbags they are (read: Iranian style embargoes).

Braniff1

Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:53 pm

Braniff1 wrote:
Also, I was unaware that ISIS murderers were equated to goat herders. I know some very good people in this country and in Mexico who are herders and they have zero in common with ISIS and their lot. Yet, each to his own mentality.

VSMUT wrote:
Well I doubt that the average ISIS terrorist is a bank manager or university professor.

Braniff1 wrote:
So, you judge people based on the profession. It's that type of mentality that allows ISIS thinking...you're not one of my people, you have no value because you do such for a living. A goat herder, has no value, yet a bank manager does; interesting mind set you have. Stupidity is a horrible character flaw to carry; yet you flash it well.

777Jet

Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:59 am

Great shot!

The more Islamic State insurgents that get killed the better.

Pyrex

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:46 am

VSMUT wrote:
Which is exactly why the west shouldn't have toppled dictators like Saddam, kept supplying weapons to Saudi Arabia or established groups of "freedom fighters" who invariably end up turning against the west. And maybe for once redraw the borders to take the Shia-Sunni-Kurd split into account, and treat the Saudi regime like the scumbags they are (read: Iranian style embargoes).

You can't talk shit about the house of Saud and say Saddam should have been left in power. Yes, the Saudi royal family are a bunch of scumbags, but unfortunately, given the region, they are also the only shot at a semblance of stability you have - you can bet your bottom dollar that whoever comes after them will be way worse. Just look to Egypt and Turkey to see the kind of mess you get when muslims come from under the influence of a militaristic, autocratic regime and are allowed to vote on their own rulers (and those are countries 10 times more advanced, from a civilization perspective, than Saudi Arabia ever was).