Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Lemieux
Topic Author

NHL 2017 offseason thread

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:32 pm

The Stanley Cup Finals are over, and my hometown Penguins are back to back champyinz. And as such, now begins the short sprint filled with everything from the buyout period starting, awards, draft, expansion draft for Las Vegas, and of course the frenzy that is free agency. This thread is to discuss all offseason moves, predictions as to who goes where/who wins what and anything in between. The next few weeks should be fun. That said, let's make it a 3-Peat. Let's go Pens!

steeler83

Re: NHL 2017 offseason thread

Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:51 pm

A three-peat would be sweet, but I doubt it will be likely. It seems that other teams are figuring out a blueprint to match the Penguins skill and speed. Ottawa and Nashville did give the Pens a run for their money this post-season.

As far as who goes/stays, here is what I have:

Fleury Vegas-bound is pretty much a sure thing. Cullen will likely retire. I hope H, B, and K can stick around for at least a couple more seasons. The HBK line may not be together like it was last year, but they still contribute to the overall winning way from what I see. Kessel is passionate, and he, Hagelin and Bonino can still come up with the big plays when needed.

Ovie will probably stay with the Caps, and I'm not sure if his status as Captain will change or not. I know there are a few teams that would be interested in him if he is let go.

Supposedly there is some interest in Pens assistant coach Rick Tocchet. I hope he also stays with the Pens. I saw some speculation he could go to Buffalo...

That's what I have for now...

910A

Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:58 am

The Arizona Coyotes are in good shape for the expansion draft. Since players with less than two years experience can't be selected, the Yotes don't have to worry about losing the young studs like Max Domi aren't going anywhere. The expendable players that will be exposed will be non-impact types, which is pretty much the same as most other teams, which means Vegas is in for a long season, unless of course the visiting teams get in the night before and enjoys the night life too much.

jetwet1

Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:53 am

Good call on making this thread, this off season will be one of the most interesting ones in years.

jetwet1

Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:51 pm

910A wrote:
The Arizona Coyotes are in good shape for the expansion draft. Since players with less than two years experience can't be selected, the Yotes don't have to worry about losing the young studs like Max Domi aren't going anywhere. The expendable players that will be exposed will be non-impact types, which is pretty much the same as most other teams, which means Vegas is in for a long season, unless of course the visiting teams get in the night before and enjoys the night life too much.

From what I am hearing down the grapevine, Vegas is taking an interesting approach, as in, "what draft pick and or prospects will you give us not to raid your best uncovered players".....

Certainly it's an interesting way to build a farm system, but it could also result in a few "bad contract" players ending up in Vegas that have 1-2 years left on those contracts that will give Vegas a little hope and time to get those prospects up to speed and season them with the veterans.

A couple of things to also remember about Vegas, no state income tax and real estate prices that are in comparison to most other NHL cities extremely low, the first has got to help in recruiting in the future, the second isn't going to hurt.

910A

Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:37 pm

Coyotes traded their #1 goal tender Mike Smith to Calgary for Goalie Chad Johnson,also a for a conditional third-round pick, and a prospect defenseman Brandon Hickey. Coyotes will retain 25% of Smith salary for the salary cap hit. This leaves the Yotes without a #1 goalie.. https://www.fiveforhowling.com/2017/6/1 ... s-reaction

jetwet1

Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:04 am

What a strange move by the Flames, picking up a a 36 year old Mike Smith with 2 years left on a contract, okay the Flames are only paying $2.8m, but still.

910A

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:45 pm

More Coyotes news, and this one wasn't unexpected. After 21 years with the Jets/Coyotes the Yotes have dropped Shane Doan who has been the face of the franchise. Watching his play this past season, father time caught up with him and he was just a shell of what he was before. I doubt any team will pick him up.

910A

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:42 pm

On the brink of free agents signings, the new ownership of the Coyotes cut ties with Coach Dave Tippett creating more uncertainty about the direction of the team, and if the franchise will be staying in the Phoenix area. The short term outlook for the franchise staying is going dim. No permanent home (Glendale is just too far from the fan base), an owner that admits that he knows nothing about hockey, but purchase a majority share of the team a couple of years ago since his kid liked hockey, an absentee owner- hedge fund operator from Philly, the local hockey fans and newspapers have jump all over him regarding the Shane Doan situation. Seattle anyone?

jetwet1

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:39 pm

Doan I saw coming, you could see it last season, he just couldn't keep up, sad to see, but a great player.

Dave Tippett....I am actually a little shocked at this, a coach that has done great things with the Yotes through lets face it, tough times, limited resources and teams shoved on to him that some AHL squads could beat, sad, but he will find another spot quickly.

Of course the Yotes being the Yotes, they couldn't do the right thing and let him go when the season ended and let him have a shot at other head coaching spots, hell you should read the Kings message boards, they are not a happy group, strangely, Kings fans love Tippett....And the redhead that sat behind him during the 2012 Western Conference Finals.

910A

Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:33 pm

Dave Tippett was a class act while with the Yotes never complaining about the constant rebuilds. Apparently he didn't see eye to eye with the hedge fund operator that now owns the Coyotes. I suspect the team which is operating now on a year to year contract in Glendale and no plans for a future building will be moving soon. Seattle?

jetwet1

Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:32 pm

If they don't move back to down town, I can see them moving there.

Hate to say this, but Rob Blake is doing a good job as the Kings GM, probably the best draft the Kings have had in years.

jetwet1

Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:46 pm

Cammy back to the Kings, 1 year $1m/50k...Low risk high reward contract.

Thornton stays at the Sharks, 1 year $6.5m !......$6.5m for a 37 year old coming off of knee surgery.....WTF are the Sharks thinking ????

910A

Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:56 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
Thornton stays at the Sharks, 1 year $6.5m !......$6.5m for a 37 year old coming off of knee surgery.....WTF are the Sharks thinking ????

Wondering the same thing...then the Maple Leafs gives Patrick Marleau who will be 38, a three year $18m contract. For a 38 year old?

Montreal keeps goaltender Carey Price. Eight years with reported average annual value of $10.5 million..
Goaldtender Ryan Miller is packing his bags again, this time going to the Ducks with a two year deal. (Didn't realize his wife is actress Noureen DeWulf and Miller is already 37 years old.)
Another Goalie, Steve Mason is going from Philly to Winnipeg.

910A

Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:43 am

Coyotes name Rick Tocchet as the new head coach. Not happy with this, due to his background: Tocchet pleaded guilty in 2007 to promoting gambling and conspiracy to promote gambling and was sentenced to probation, while he was a assistant coach with the Coyotes under Wayne Gretzky.