Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

330west
Topic Author

Cunard/Queen Mary transatlantic

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:50 am

Has anyone done a Transatlantic with Cunard on the Queen Mary? I was chatting with some friends this afternoon about their Hamburg-Southampton-NY crossing last year and it sounds like something I'd enjoy but if anyone else has done it, I'd appreciate their thoughts.

LAH1

Re: Cunard/Queen Mary transatlantic

Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:48 am

330west wrote:
Has anyone done a Transatlantic with Cunard on the Queen Mary? I was chatting with some friends this afternoon about their Hamburg-Southampton-NY crossing last year and it sounds like something I'd enjoy but if anyone else has done it, I'd appreciate their thoughts.

Not personally but a good friend went last year and said he'd do it every time he could, time allowing. Relaxed and pampered, nothing too difficult for the staff. He thought it might get monotonous just looking at the North Atlantic but it never got close. In fact he thought the changes in the sea, patterns of waves etc etc were quite entertaining every now and again when he took a stroll round. Told me I should do it as long as I took some clothes that had larger waist lines than those I go on board with.

Aviaphile

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:16 am

Yes, I have done it and would thoroughly recommend it! It is a resort with everything laid on - from meals, to entertainment to the wonderful afternoon tea service, formal dinners, talks, art exhibitions and a multitude of other daily activities on offer. This resort, however, takes you from one place to another without having to pack and unpack! With a cruise like this, the thing to remember is that there are many choices and you can simply choose what to become involved in or to just relax and read and watch the changing scenery.

SmithAir747

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:38 pm

I'm seriously considering doing this in a few years (next year or so). I have lived in London before, and have travelled there often, for studies and for my craniofacial research work. My last trip there was in January 2016 (BA nonstop DEN-LHR), and my next trip is scheduled for September this year (nonstop DEN-LGW on Norwegian).

I think the QM2 would be the perfect (and relaxing) way to travel there again, assuming I take the time to do at least one way on the ship (preferably NYC-Southampton); it would beat the jet lag and make the trip even more traditional and British.

In fact, if I ever get the opportunity to relocate back to London to continue my craniofacial work there (maybe at my alma mater King's College London where my career started), I would definitely use the QM2 to move me over there.

Now that QM2 has been refitted with single-occupancy cabins (single oceanview), that makes a future QM2 crossing even more attractive to me.

What better way to go to my old haunts in London than to go on the ocean liner?

SmithAir747

bananaboy

Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:02 pm

I recently had a look around the ship during a stop in Southampton. The shop is beautiful and the service was good. It had an iconic feel about it, something between a floating museum and a lavish hotel. I also knew absolutely that it wasn't for me. I am not into adhering to set dress codes (or feeling awkward because I'm not following the dress code). Maybe one day it will appeal more but not at the moment.

Each to their own of course..it would be a memorable experience I'm sure.

Mark

jetwet1

Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:05 pm

I'm sure Phil (OA 260) will be along at some point but take a look through this thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1315299

OA260

Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:14 pm

Trip report here :

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=975831

I do a good few cruises a year. Sometimes I like the mass market lines such as NCL / RCI etc... but other times I do enjoy a traditional experience and Cunard does offer this and the TATL is a unique experience. I find the service on Cunard is also above the rest. You dont need to book the speciality restaurants and pay a cover charge to get good food which is an excellent standard from the casual buffet to the main dining rooms unlike some lines.