User avatar
DocLightning
Topic Author
Posts: 20441
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:28 am

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/g ... Qatar.html

Egypt, the UAE, Saudi Arabia, and Bahrain have all severed diplomatic ties with Qatar in the last few hours, almost in unison. All of these nations have stated very similar reasons, which strike me as vagaries, but I'm not an expert on ME affairs.

This is a pretty major diplomatic event for the region, perhaps even unprecedented. What did the Qataris do and why is the entire ME unfriending them all of a sudden?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 10612
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:01 am

Time for FIFA to also pull the plug?
 
sierrakilo44
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:38 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:02 am

Qatar wants to normalise relations with Iran
Saudi Arabia hates this, and I believe also wants to deflect attention now that western politicians (Corbyn) are now beginning to call them out for funding extremists
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Topic Author
Posts: 20441
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:04 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Qatar wants to normalise relations with Iran
Saudi Arabia hates this, and I believe also wants to deflect attention now that western politicians (Corbyn) are now beginning to call them out for funding extremists


And Bahrain? Egypt? The UAE?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan
 
TheF15Ace
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:27 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:28 am

DocLightning wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:
Qatar wants to normalise relations with Iran
Saudi Arabia hates this, and I believe also wants to deflect attention now that western politicians (Corbyn) are now beginning to call them out for funding extremists


And Bahrain? Egypt? The UAE?


Egypt did have issues with Qatar due to Qatar being sympathetic towards the Muslim Brotherhood. Maybe they saw an opportunity and took it.

I think Bahrain is a case of Saudi saying ''jump'' and Bahrain asking ''how high?''

I'm a bit surprised at UAE because I see plenty of Qataris here and everyone seems to get along quite well, even members of the Royal Families. Could be the same reason as Bahrain :confused:

BTW these are all guesses and I could be completely wrong.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 5817
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:34 am

German news magazine "der Spiegel" says it is because Qatar support terrorism.
That would mean the wrong kind of terrorism. ..
Best regards
Thomas
Crooked Donald Trump an his team are extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information. Not fit! #muchworsethanclinton
 
bgm
Posts: 1194
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:39 am

Bahrain has a majority Shia population that is ruled by a Sunni minority (and supported by the Saudis). If Qatar is getting friendly with Iran, that would explain it.

Now is the time when a stable, competent US president could prove helpful in diffusing this situation. Alas, we can't have everything.
"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." -George Carlin
 
User avatar
RoySFlying
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:28 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:08 am

This has been simmering for some time and it is not the first time that relations with Qatar have been cut, though the previous rupture did not involve cutting land, air and sea links.

There is a bit of rivalry going on. While Saudi Arabia has attempted to use its location as the keeper of the holy cities and its wealth to be a regional hegemon, particularly in relation to Iran, in recent years Qatar has been seeking to steer a more independent course. This has led it to develop closer links with Iran, to support the Muslim Brotherhood and Hamas.

Recently al Jazeera published allegations of back-door links between the UAE and Israel. This prompted the UAE to block al Jazeera in the UAE. Various other claims were made regarding Saudi funding or support for terror groups. Qatar further alleged that its media had been hacked in an attempt to portray the Emir as supporting terrorism. Qatar has been critical of the military dictatorship in Egypt and its handling of the Muslim Brotherhood. The Gulf monarchies generally see the Brotherhood as an existential threat as the latter has claimed that those monarchies lack authority and maintain their rule through despotism.

Of course, both sides have backed different groups in Syria, further straining relations.
When I was a boy the world was flat and now, some people still strive to keep it that way.
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 854
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:01 am

Bravo Arabia. In the holiest of months for all Muslims you've decided to start fighting against your fellow Muslims for no apparent reason.

This is why I never liked Saudi Arabia & detest the fact that the House of Saud is the guardian of Islam's holiest city.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA
 
sierrakilo44
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:38 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:56 am

This happened one week ago. Looks like the Saudis and their allies did this as punishment for Qataris trying to reach out To Iran:

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/gulf/2017/05/27/Qatar-s-Emir-Tamim-calls-Iran-s-President-Rouhani-seeking-deepening-of-ties-.html

Al Jazeera, which is headquartered in Qatar, was blocked in Saudi Arabia last week, after exposing some Saudi government corruption
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 8916
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:09 am

My country (France) is on good terms with all the countries mentioned so maybe we'll try to do something. I don't think a US president could do anything as the US stance on Iran makes everything difficult.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 6991
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:36 am

Why does the "West" have to get involved, has there been any disruption in oil supplies, the price of oil has not changed, how is that possible when any political issues in the region immediately causes price speculation?
In this century with all manner of political organizations, should we not let the Gulf Council and other bodies in the region get to work before the west tries to intervene, do we have so little faith in their diplomatic skills and desires to portray themselves as modern nations?
This is not the first time they have had disagreements which they resolved, and it is what we all want right. Arab / Muslim nations dealing with the rouge elements, who is in a better position to reveal activities and who would we believe, the people of the ME or western media and politicians?
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 8916
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:55 am

Well I'm all for calling out supporters of terrorism but you will find them in all the mentioned countries, so I don't think anything will happen on that front.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
Pyrex
Posts: 4202
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:24 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:05 pm

I imagine this is completely unrelated to the fact that the Arab nations listed are getting their asses handed to them by a bunch of Yemeni goat farmers despite all the hardware oil money can buy?

As for Egypt, yes, it is a military dictatorship, but if there is one thing the few months / years of Muslim Brotherhood rule in Egypt show is that democracy simply does not work in the region, is completely against the values of the people there. As much as Coptic Christians have it tough now, they would have been all but gone by now if Sisi hadn't intervened.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 2646
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:06 pm

I wish that Western governments would do the same to Saudi Arabia.

Aesma wrote:
Well I'm all for calling out supporters of terrorism but you will find them in all the mentioned countries, so I don't think anything will happen on that front.


Yes but compared to Saudi Arabia, financial support for the spread of Wahabism and extremist islam from the other nations is relatively miniscule.
First to fly the 787-9 (ZK-NZE, NZ103, 2014-10-09)
 
sierrakilo44
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:38 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:39 pm

Yes but compared to Saudi Arabia, financial support for the spread of Wahabism and extremist islam from the other nations is relatively miniscule.


Spot on.
I'm sure Qataris have supported and funded extremist groups. But there is no doubt, the number one creator, funder, supporter and arms supplier of radical Islamist extremism is Saudi Arabia. The number one exporter of the radical Salafist and Wahhabist ideology and hate preachers around the world is Saudi Arabia. In addition to their brutal inhumane treatment of their own population, whether it be women or protestors. And their open campaign of blatant warmongering and killing in Yemen.

For the Saudi government to accuse ANYONE of terrorism and extremism may qualify as the most hypocritical statement ever made by anyone in history.
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 6991
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:51 pm

So where does the bulk of Saudia Arabia's oil go, one has to assume that is the only reason why they are allowed to continue on with the export of extremism with no one batting an eye, and please don't say the the EU and Europeans govts. are falling in line with the US on this one, they are vocal in their dissent on everything else, so what gives....
 
P1aneMad
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:05 pm

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:01 pm

KSA and Qatar are jockeying for the "crown" of the biggest financier of extremist Islamofascist groups throwout the Middle East. All in the name of fighting Iran in their centuries old conflict between Shias and Sunnis.
Apparently Qatar is trying to tone down the hostilities with Tehran and KSA decided that is having none of that.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 8916
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:23 pm

par13del wrote:
So where does the bulk of Saudia Arabia's oil go, one has to assume that is the only reason why they are allowed to continue on with the export of extremism with no one batting an eye, and please don't say the the EU and Europeans govts. are falling in line with the US on this one, they are vocal in their dissent on everything else, so what gives....


China, USA, India, EU : http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/sau/
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 4171
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:35 pm

Remember that this happened before in 2014 and last about 8 months, but there was no blockade at that time.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 4349
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:17 pm

How about rezoning the entire Middle East or as we like to call it as sectarian gerrymandering.

Shia
Sunni
Jews
Palestine
Kurds
Houthi

Plus 100 more.including minorities.
 
slider
Posts: 6881
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:42 pm

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:54 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
How about rezoning the entire Middle East or as we like to call it as sectarian gerrymandering.

Shia
Sunni
Jews
Palestine
Kurds
Houthi

Plus 100 more.including minorities.


One of those groups will never be recognized by the others, and therein lies the problem. And you forget a small section of Christians.

Frankly, the Saudis calling ANYONE out for sponsoring terrorism is the most bizarre case of the pot calling the kettle black I've ever heard of.
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 4171
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:04 pm

]

"One of those groups will never be recognized by the others, and therein lies the problem. And you forget a small section of Christians.

Frankly, the Saudis calling ANYONE out for sponsoring terrorism is the most bizarre case of the pot calling the kettle black I've ever heard of.[/quote]"

Really have to agree on that, but while they are still buddies with the USA nothing is going to change, and the US seems happy to turn a blind eye.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
 
salttee
Posts: 1194
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:26 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:05 pm

slider wrote:
Frankly, the Saudis calling ANYONE out for sponsoring terrorism is the most bizarre case of the pot calling the kettle black I've ever heard of.

I suspect they are doing that at the behest of Trump who is itching for a war with Iran. The two of them ave bonded amazingly well for some reason.

At this point I'm almost becoming a fan of Kim Jong un, I believe he's the only thing keeping us out of war with Iran.
"Good genes, very good genes, Ok, very smart, the Wharton School of finance, very good, very smart."
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 3347
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:43 pm

Has much to do with fact that Qatar based Al Jazeera has become a major news source in the region, and the network is not afraid to report on dirty deeds happening in various countries.

Look at how Egpyt arrested and later expelled staff and continues to try to block Al Jazeera satellite broadcast while Saudi Arabia now has blocked internet access to Al Jazeera websites.

With strong media organization like Al Jazeera looking over your shoulder, its becoming uncomfortable to control the narrative inside some regimes.
 
aviationaware
Posts: 1599
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:51 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Time for FIFA to also pull the plug?


Are you mad? Then Qatar would probably expose all those corrupt old men for what they really are and probably provide iron clad proof. Not that we don't already know that FIFA is basically the mob.

mercure1 wrote:
Has much to do with fact that Qatar based Al Jazeera has become a major news source in the region, and the network is not afraid to report on dirty deeds happening in various countries.

Look at how Egpyt arrested and later expelled staff and continues to try to block Al Jazeera satellite broadcast while Saudi Arabia now has blocked internet access to Al Jazeera websites.

With strong media organization like Al Jazeera looking over your shoulder, its becoming uncomfortable to control the narrative inside some regimes.


Kidding? Al Jazeera is a propaganda tool for the Muslim Brotherhood just like RT is one for Russia. None of their reporting is neutral. Al Jazeera is being blocked because it's one of the most important tools for muslim radicalization. The way Al Jazeera worked in tandem with extremist groups to seize power in the so called 'Arab Spring' was truly unprecedented.

Now what we need to do in the West is first, jump on board with isolating Qatar. They wholeheartedly deserve it, if only for harboring the leadership of Hamas while their lackeys attack the people of Israel. Then, secondly, we need to turn the tables and internationally isolate Saudi Arabia.

Both Qatar and Saudi Arabia must be expelled from all international organizations, all diplomatic ties must be cut and all countries not complying must be held accountable by association.
It's time we put Saudi Arabia and Qatar where they belong, which is on the same level of condemnation as North Korea.

Of course there is no chance of this happening until the importance of oil is much reduced. So we need to get a grip on energy independence and at the same time, get electric cars where they need to be.
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 3347
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:08 am

aviationaware wrote:
Kidding? Al Jazeera is a propaganda tool for the Muslim Brotherhood just like RT is one for Russia. None of their reporting is neutral.


Maybe you dont like it, Al Jazeera is considered just about the only reliable news by man on the street in the region. Its certainly not the large competitors like Saudi backed Al Arabiya or MBC who do indeed sugar coat things, and conveniently ignore many thorny local issues.

Al Jazeera is about the only source for many in the region to learn about what is happening in their own nations when the local media - TV, radio and print media are in service to their governments.
 
User avatar
BawliBooch
Posts: 739
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:24 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:37 am

DocLightning wrote:
What did the Qataris do and why is the entire ME unfriending them all of a sudden?


They pissed off the al-Saud's. You cant do that! Especially not after the al-Saud's paid a $100B tribute to Supreme Leader an got a stamp of approval from him.
L' Esprit de Mai 68
 
User avatar
SOBHI51
Posts: 3876
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:32 pm

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:43 am

mercure1 wrote:
aviationaware wrote:
Kidding? Al Jazeera is a propaganda tool for the Muslim Brotherhood just like RT is one for Russia. None of their reporting is neutral.


Maybe you dont like it, Al Jazeera is considered just about the only reliable news by man on the street in the region. Its certainly not the large competitors like Saudi backed Al Arabiya or MBC who do indeed sugar coat things, and conveniently ignore many thorny local issues.

Al Jazeera is about the only source for many in the region to learn about what is happening in their own nations when the local media - TV, radio and print media are in service to their governments.


With on exemption, they do ignore thorny local issues in Qatar and they are the mouth piece of the Muslim brotherhood.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam
 
aviationaware
Posts: 1599
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:04 am

mercure1 wrote:
Maybe you dont like it, Al Jazeera is considered just about the only reliable news by man on the street in the region.


In case you didn't notice, 'man on the street' in that region believes sharia as a good thing and also believes that terrorism in the name of Allah is justified. He believes that women are second class citizens and that gay people should be stoned to death (claim based on a range of studies finding that a majority in the Gulf countries supports those ideas).
 
c933103
Posts: 982
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:45 am

What a great world to be live in! Conflict erupted in ME and oil price actually falling!
Joke aside, glad I didn't bet with my friends over oil price trend last week
 
User avatar
SOBHI51
Posts: 3876
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:32 pm

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:21 am

While all countries were trying to stop all kind of financial aid to the terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Qatar went ahead and paid one billion USA to free few of the Qatar royal family, a couple of weeks ago, against all efforts and agreements.
That is the main cause of the anger against Qatar. I think.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam
 
c933103
Posts: 982
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:42 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40175935
Holy F, Saudi tell Trump Qatar is funding radical ideology and so Trump simpky believed what they said and act and speak according to what he have been told by those people?
 
ExDubai
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:52 pm

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:02 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
What did the Qataris do and why is the entire ME unfriending them all of a sudden?


They pissed off the al-Saud's. You cant do that! Especially not after the al-Saud's paid a $100B tribute to Supreme Leader an got a stamp of approval from him.

Yepp, at the end of the day that's how it is.
Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 4126
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:16 pm

So, another case of despotic foreign leaders taking advantage of Trump's ignorance and playing him like a banjo to serve their own goals...

And now the idiot in chief is admitting to it by trying to somehow take credit for the whole thing. He is actually helping the harshest brand of islam and claiming it as a win against terrorism... This is surreal. His incompetence knows no bounds.

Welcome to a new world in which nothing matter and nothing makes sense. The crazies have taken over, and we're all along for the ride.

Yeehaw.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 2596
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:16 pm

Francoflier wrote:
So, another case of despotic foreign leaders taking advantage of Trump's ignorance and playing him like a banjo to serve their own goals...

And now the idiot in chief is admitting to it by trying to somehow take credit for the whole thing. He is actually helping the harshest brand of islam and claiming it as a win against terrorism... This is surreal. His incompetence knows no bounds.

Welcome to a new world in which nothing matter and nothing makes sense. The crazies have taken over, and we're all along for the ride.

Yeehaw.


Amen. I really need Melania to put on something skimpy and make him put his phone down for a while...
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 7090
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:18 pm

mercure1 wrote:
aviationaware wrote:
Kidding? Al Jazeera is a propaganda tool for the Muslim Brotherhood just like RT is one for Russia. None of their reporting is neutral.


Maybe you dont like it, Al Jazeera is considered just about the only reliable news by man on the street in the region. Its certainly not the large competitors like Saudi backed Al Arabiya or MBC who do indeed sugar coat things, and conveniently ignore many thorny local issues.

Al Jazeera is about the only source for many in the region to learn about what is happening in their own nations when the local media - TV, radio and print media are in service to their governments.


Oh, so like Fox.
-Dave
 
User avatar
WingsFan
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:48 pm

Aesma wrote:
par13del wrote:
So where does the bulk of Saudia Arabia's oil go, one has to assume that is the only reason why they are allowed to continue on with the export of extremism with no one batting an eye, and please don't say the the EU and Europeans govts. are falling in line with the US on this one, they are vocal in their dissent on everything else, so what gives....


China, USA, India, EU : http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/sau/


What a fascinating site...thanks!
 
User avatar
SOBHI51
Posts: 3876
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:32 pm

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:16 pm

SOBHI51 wrote:
While all countries were trying to stop all kind of financial aid to the terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Qatar went ahead and paid one billion USA to free few of the Qatar royal family, a couple of weeks ago, against all efforts and agreements.
That is the main cause of the anger against Qatar. I think.



Proven right.

https://www.ft.com/video/2af62cb3-256b- ... 35cbef9d03
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam
 
tommy1808
Posts: 5817
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:49 pm

Francoflier wrote:
He is actually helping the harshest brand of islam and claiming it as a win against terrorism... This is surreal. His incompetence knows no bounds.


He knows he may need a large terror strike if he doesn't want to go to prison.

usflyer msp wrote:
Amen. I really need Melania to put on something skimpy and make him put his phone down for a while...


She may be able to tie herself to a bed, but I would think she is too old to successfully play a minor.

Best regards
Thomas
Crooked Donald Trump an his team are extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information. Not fit! #muchworsethanclinton
 
User avatar
BawliBooch
Posts: 739
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:24 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:25 am

aviationaware wrote:
In case you didn't notice, 'man on the street' in that region believes sharia as a good thing and also believes that terrorism in the name of Allah is justified. He believes that women are second class citizens and that gay people should be stoned to death (claim based on a range of studies finding that a majority in the Gulf countries supports those ideas).


More than just a little exaggeration there brother!

Not all people in the Middle East are like that. I have been to some countries in the Middle East on assignment and find the people to be generally liberal & tolerant even if the govt's aren't. Iraq (in 1999) was surprisingly liberal. Some of my Arab friends who studied in India even eat pork on the Down Low!

Saudi Arabia needs a secular revolution - with a Nasserite leader overthrowing the despotic al-Saud's and establishing democratic institutions after coming to power. Sadly, the big-power's will never allow a democratic regime because that would hinder access to the oil.
L' Esprit de Mai 68
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 2646
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:57 am

It's sad to see powers at be itching to turn this into a conflict with Iran of some kind.

Francoflier wrote:
So, another case of despotic foreign leaders taking advantage of Trump's ignorance and playing him like a banjo to serve their own goals...

And now the idiot in chief is admitting to it by trying to somehow take credit for the whole thing. He is actually helping the harshest brand of islam and claiming it as a win against terrorism... This is surreal. His incompetence knows no bounds.


I actually feel sorry for my american friends....Trump's idiocy is just so embarrassing for them and he just proved himself to be a tool of Saudi Arabia. This is one of those situations where it's best to stay quiet and let the State Department do it's thing diplomatically to work towards a resolution. Unfortunately old Donnie isn't the kind of bloke who'd pass up an opportunity to put his foot in his mouth. :roll: Knowing the Arabs and how important loss of face is to them, I wonder if they'll up the stakes and retaliate by revoking permission for USAF to have troops/aircraft at Al Udeid Air Base. That'd certainly make things interesting.

Coincidentally, it turns out that the Saudi's lobbying effort against the 9/11 bill involved spending quite a lot of money at one of Donald's hotels:
The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has paid Trump International Hotel nearly $270,000 through its Washington, D.C. lobbying firm over the past several months, new foreign lobbying disclosure filings show.

The payments, from Qorvis MSLGroup, were made for hotel rooms and catering services for dozens of U.S. veterans who the lobbying firm recruited as part of an influence campaign aimed at watering down legislation that could put Saudi Arabia on the hook financially for the 9/11 attacks.

Disclosures filed with the Justice Department under the Foreign Agents Registration Act show that Qorvis MSLGroup paid $190,272 to Trump International for lodging expenses, $78,204 for catering, and $1,568 for parking.

The hotel payments, which are just a small part of a massive $8.4 million campaign aimed at lobbying lawmakers against the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act (JASTA), could reinvigorate allegations that Trump’s hotels violate the Emoluments Clause of the U.S. Constitution prohibiting U.S. officials from receiving payments from foreign governments.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/06/04/saudi ... -911-bill/

SOBHI51 wrote:


Anyone who thinks that the Saudis, Bahrainis or Emiritis wouldn't have done the same if one of their royals had been kidnapped is probably a bit deluded...

BawliBooch wrote:

Saudi Arabia needs a secular revolution - with a Nasserite leader overthrowing the despotic al-Saud's and establishing democratic institutions after coming to power. Sadly, the big-power's will never allow a democratic regime because that would hinder access to the oil.

Unfortunately Saudi Arabia won't be having a revolution anytime soon. It is an ironclad police state where protesting can get one executed.

Saudi Arabia should immediately quash the death sentences of 14 members of the Shia community for protest-related crimes, Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch said today. The Court of Appeal of the notorious Specialized Criminal Court upheld the sentences in May 2017, after they were handed down a year ago on June 1, 2016, following a grossly unfair trial of 24 Saudi Shia citizens. The Specialized Criminal Court is Saudi Arabia’s counterterrorism tribunal.

“The rise in death sentences against Saudi Arabian Shia is alarming and suggests that the authorities are using the death penalty to settle scores and crush dissent under the guise of combating ‘terrorism’ and maintaining national security,” said Sarah Leah Whitson, Middle East director at Human Rights Watch.


https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/06/06/sau ... air-trials

Funnily enough, Donald's secretary of commerce was surprised at the lack of protests on the state visit to Saudi. I guess that speaks volumes about the quality of some cabinet members.
Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross marveled Monday morning that there was not even “a single hint or a protester” anywhere in Saudi Arabia during President Donald Trump’s visit there over the weekend, conceding only at a CNBC anchor’s prodding that the lack of unrest could have been due to the Islamic kingdom’s lack of protections for freedom of speech.

“There's no question that they're liberalizing their society,” said Ross, who joined Trump on the Saudi Arabian leg of his first international trip as president. “The other thing that was fascinating to me, there was not a single hint of a protester anywhere there during the whole time we were there. Not one guy with a bad placard.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/2 ... ump-238672

The Saudi royal family got into power in the early 20th century through being the most bloodthirsty of all the tribes in Saudi Arabia. They'll have no hesitation to be just as blood thirsty if their power is genuinely threatened. Except that this time the US and UK have given them billions of dollars worth of F-15s, Eurofighters etc so they'll be able to do lots more damage.
First to fly the 787-9 (ZK-NZE, NZ103, 2014-10-09)
 
aviationaware
Posts: 1599
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:10 am

BawliBooch wrote:
Not all people in the Middle East are like that. I have been to some countries in the Middle East on assignment and find the people to be generally liberal & tolerant even if the govt's aren't. Iraq (in 1999) was surprisingly liberal. Some of my Arab friends who studied in India even eat pork on the Down Low!


I didn't say all, I said a majority. That's a difference. And a scientific study obviously enjoys more credence than your 'the handful of people I know aren't that way'.
 
User avatar
RoySFlying
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:28 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:30 am

aviationaware wrote:
. And a scientific study obviously enjoys more credence than your 'the handful of people I know aren't that way'.

Agreed but an opinion poll is hardly anything more than "the handful of people" as not many more than that are asked.
When I was a boy the world was flat and now, some people still strive to keep it that way.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 5817
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:03 am

RoySFlying wrote:
aviationaware wrote:
. And a scientific study obviously enjoys more credence than your 'the handful of people I know aren't that way'.

Agreed but an opinion poll is hardly anything more than "the handful of people" as not many more than that are asked.


However, even a methologically badly done study, unless deliberately skewed, is way superior in gauging opinions to any personal experience. Any proper study will also give you sample sizes, correction factors and anything else you need to gauge it's reliability.

Best regards
Thomas
Crooked Donald Trump an his team are extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information. Not fit! #muchworsethanclinton
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 8916
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:59 am

SOBHI51 wrote:
SOBHI51 wrote:
While all countries were trying to stop all kind of financial aid to the terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Qatar went ahead and paid one billion USA to free few of the Qatar royal family, a couple of weeks ago, against all efforts and agreements.
That is the main cause of the anger against Qatar. I think.


Proven right.

https://www.ft.com/video/2af62cb3-256b- ... 35cbef9d03


All countries do this, even ones where it is totally illegal. In France proxy countries are usually used (including Qatar). Qatar would pay off the kidnappers of French citizens, and get goodwill with the French government, or some tax break for Qataris, or a good price on the next batch of Rafales they order.

I'm sure Saudi Arabia has done the same thing.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 8916
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:02 am

I might add that the idea when possible is to shoot at the kidnappers once the hostages are freed, but it's not always possible, and so far getting the hostages back has always been deemed more important than getting the kidnappers. Even though they were not part of any kind of French royal family, obviously.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 8916
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:35 am

tommy1808 wrote:
RoySFlying wrote:
aviationaware wrote:
. And a scientific study obviously enjoys more credence than your 'the handful of people I know aren't that way'.

Agreed but an opinion poll is hardly anything more than "the handful of people" as not many more than that are asked.


However, even a methologically badly done study, unless deliberately skewed, is way superior in gauging opinions to any personal experience. Any proper study will also give you sample sizes, correction factors and anything else you need to gauge it's reliability.

Best regards
Thomas


Propaganda is effective. Under the USSR religion almost disappeared in the controlled countries, now it's back with a vengeance thanks to leaders like Putin using it again as the opium of the people.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
tommy1808
Posts: 5817
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:31 am

Aesma wrote:
. Under the USSR religion almost disappeared in the controlled countries, now it's back with a vengeance thanks to leaders like Putin using it again as the opium of the people.


From the public.. not that much from pepoles heads.

Best regards
Thomas
Crooked Donald Trump an his team are extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information. Not fit! #muchworsethanclinton
 
ExDubai
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:52 pm

Re: What's going on with Qatar?

Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:09 pm

It starts to get nasty. According to Dubai media Iranian revolutionary guards protecting the royal palace in Doha. Of course an unnamed Egyptian source...
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/gu ... lace-.html
Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Airontario, Dreadnought, socalgeo, Tvilum and 2 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos