Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aesma
Topic Author

French Public Health Agency lowers alcohol consumption recommendations

Sat May 20, 2017 6:34 pm

The French Public Health Agency and the National Institute Against Cancer recommend that men don't drink more than women, 2 glasses a day, and, more surprising to me, two days a week without drinking.

Previously the recommendations were derived from the WHO ones, 3 glasses a day for men and 2 for women, giving 21/week for men and 14/week for women.

Now 10 glasses a week for everybody.

I know people who will have trouble following this.

BobPatterson

Re: French Public Health Agency lowers alcohol consumption recommendations

Sat May 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Is there a link available to research, or at least a report based on research, to justify these recommendations?

Have specific wines (or all wines) been demonstrated to cause cancer?

I guess I found some solid info here: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-ca ... ancer.html

Aesma
Topic Author

Sat May 20, 2017 7:56 pm

They come from a group of experts, not directly from a scientific study. I'm not sure how such a study could be conducted to be honest.

The TV part I saw mentioned alcohol's toxicity, by preventing cellular regeneration, it increases the risk of cancer.

LittleFokker

Sat May 20, 2017 8:06 pm

Isn't the amount of alcohol one can "safely" (I know that's a relative term in this case) consume more correlated with your weight/BMI than any other factor? I know I weigh more than about 85% of women, I feel confident in saying that I can consume a little more alcohol than they can with the same effects on my health.

I'm also curious at how the French's recommendations compare with other nation's alcohol advisories.

KLDC10

Sat May 20, 2017 8:07 pm

Everything is better in moderation. Having said that, from my experiences in Continental Europe, drinking is mostly a social and cultural thing; and it can be quite easy for a group of friends to end up plowing through a good few bottles of wine in an evening. There certainly doesn't seem to be a widespread desire to just drink for the sake of drinking, but I can see how people would have trouble adhering to the guidelines you set out above.

BobPatterson

Sat May 20, 2017 11:20 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
Isn't the amount of alcohol one can "safely" (I know that's a relative term in this case) consume more correlated with your weight/BMI than any other factor? I know I weigh more than about 85% of women, I feel confident in saying that I can consume a little more alcohol than they can with the same effects on my health.

You may be correct with respect to effect of alcohol on individuals based on BMI. But you are really talking about temporal effects such as becoming inebriated, control of reflexes, slurring of speech, etc.

The effect on your health is another matter, bearing on long-term events.

I was interested in the statement that the long-term combination of alcohol/smoking is more potent than either one individually.

seahawk

Sun May 21, 2017 7:17 am

Germany has been saying one glass per day and max 5 days a week for women and 2 glasses a day max 5 days for men for some time and that is the upper limit. If you drink more you are considered to have a drinking problem.

Olddog

Sun May 21, 2017 8:07 am

seahawk wrote:
Germany has been saying one glass per day and max 5 days a week for women and 2 glasses a day max 5 days for men for some time and that is the upper limit. If you drink more you are considered to have a drinking problem.

Depends of the size of your drink: on glass of wine is not exactly the same the 1 to 2 litres bocks :)

seahawk

Sun May 21, 2017 8:19 am

It is a standard glass containing 10g alcohol.

Olddog

Sun May 21, 2017 8:28 am

A glass of wine can't have 10 g of alcohol as most of the time there is only 12 g/l, and a glass of wine is 0,1 l.....

Aesma
Topic Author

Sun May 21, 2017 11:16 am

No one liter of wine has about 100g of alcohol.

WildcatYXU

Sun May 21, 2017 5:15 pm

Aesma wrote:
No one liter of wine has about 100g of alcohol.

Absolutely. 100g of ethanol per liter of wine translates to about 13% V/V, which is quite usual for regular wines. 12 g/l would translate to about 1.5% V/V, which is too weak even for a radler.