Dutchy
Topic Author

Julian Assange Rape Investigation Is Dropped in Sweden

Fri May 19, 2017 1:01 pm

Still wanted in the UK though

The Metropolitan Police in London said, however, that they still planned to carry out the warrant issued after Mr. Assange failed to surrender in June 2012, and that they would be “obliged” to execute the warrant if he were to leave the Ecuadorean Embassy, where Mr. Assange sought asylum.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/worl ... .html?_r=0

So, what is going on? This sounds really weird. Why continue with this, for a minor offense and keep the 24h watch outside the embassy, which must cost millions a year. Would there be some truth in it that the US is behind this, all this time?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

mbmbos

Re: Julian Assange Rape Investigation Is Dropped in Sweden

Fri May 19, 2017 1:21 pm

Of course the U.S. was behind this. I voted for Obama and I would vote for him again considering the lack of quality of his opponents (McCain and Romney), but I hold this against him. Obama's Administration was not one of transparency as promised. And he shouldn't have gone so hard against whistle-blowers.

As for Assange, well, I think he's a deranged man. But I have no problem with the information (military malfeasance) he published.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

pvjin

Fri May 19, 2017 2:13 pm

Yep this is an interesting situation, as there's no legal reason to keep harassing Assange anymore the only possible conclusion is that the British want to arrest him to hand him over to the US. Wouldn't be surprising if those individuals who blamed Assange for sexual assault were also bribed by Americans, or were even working for them.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

KLDC10

Fri May 19, 2017 3:27 pm

mbmbos wrote:
Of course the U.S. was behind this. I voted for Obama and I would vote for him again considering the lack of quality of his opponents (McCain and Romney), but I hold this against him. Obama's Administration was not one of transparency as promised. And he shouldn't have gone so hard against whistle-blowers.

Not to go off-topic too much, but there's a bit of a gulf between what you describe above and the way that then-President Obama commuted Bradley Manning's 35-year sentence shortly before leaving office. I'm struggling to see how he was able to reconcile the two things. You're right, of course, about the fact that his administration went after whistle-blowers, but based on his commutation of Manning, I wonder if it was an issue he was genuinely conflicted about.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/752/772/A320/A332/A333/E190

Ken777

Fri May 19, 2017 5:15 pm

Assange is a pig of a man. His "rape" was based on him having sex with a woman without using a condom. Doing so without the woman's permission is considered rape. Doing so without a condom is also very stupid.

So Assange spent how many years in the embassy? And he might not be totally clear legally with his potential involvement in the election.

mbmbos

Fri May 19, 2017 5:27 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
mbmbos wrote:
You're right, of course, about the fact that his administration went after whistle-blowers, but based on his commutation of Manning, I wonder if it was an issue he was genuinely conflicted about.

Agreed. However, I'm not sure if he wasn't "conflicted," as it were, with his own conscience or rationale. Obama was nothing if not a pragmatist. He went into office speaking strongly about transparency, accountability of the military and a global peace strategy. I suspect he learned very quickly that military industrialist and spook organizations have tremendous powers in the U.S., and he couldn't fight them and Congress too.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

scbriml

Fri May 19, 2017 6:03 pm

pvjin wrote:
Yep this is an interesting situation, as there's no legal reason to keep harassing Assange anymore

Apart from the fact that he's wanted for breaking UK law? How dare the police "harass" him for breaking the law! :sarcastic:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

AirPacific747

Fri May 19, 2017 6:20 pm

Didn't Assange offer to be handed over to US authorities if Bradley Manning was pardoned?

http://news.sky.com/story/julian-assang ... e-10733049

His behavior now clearly shows that he's simply a coward trying to avoid standing trial for the things he did.

Aesma

Fri May 19, 2017 7:49 pm

I can think of plenty of US citizens through the years that have avoided prosecution abroad with the full support of their home country and populace.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

pvjin

Sat May 20, 2017 10:11 am

scbriml wrote:
Apart from the fact that he's wanted for breaking UK law? How dare the police "harass" him for breaking the law!

What law did he break? Did he perhaps drive over the speed limit? The UK police should specify what he is wanted for so people can judge whether it's a good justification to waste a lot of tax payer's money on 24/7 watch on the embassy.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

RoySFlying

Sat May 20, 2017 10:36 am

pvjin wrote:
What law did he break? Did he perhaps drive over the speed limit? The UK police should specify what he is wanted for so people can judge whether it's a good justification to waste a lot of tax payer's money on 24/7 watch on the embassy.

He violated his bail conditions by failing to turn up in court when he was meant to and he caused those who had stood surety to lose their money. Westminster Magistrates' Court issued a warrant for the arrest of Julian Assange after he failed to surrender to the court on the 29 June 2012, that warrant is still active and the police are obliged to make an arrest if they are able to.
When I was a boy the world was flat and now, some people still strive to keep it that way.

tommy1808

Sat May 20, 2017 2:12 pm

pvjin wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Apart from the fact that he's wanted for breaking UK law? How dare the police "harass" him for breaking the law!

He failed to show up for a court appointment...
That has been in the news right from the bat.....

scbriml wrote:
pvjin wrote:
Yep this is an interesting situation, as there's no legal reason to keep harassing Assange anymore

Apart from the fact that he's wanted for breaking UK law? How dare the police "harass" him for breaking the law! :sarcastic:

Well, he has been illegally detained by the UK government for more than half a decade.

Best regards
Thomas
Crooked Donald Trump an his team are extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information. Not fit! #muchworsethanclinton

Aesma

Sat May 20, 2017 4:58 pm

Thousands of people are wanted for the same reason, usually not much is spent on looking for them, unless it's for a grave crime. Here he's wanted for not showing up...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

P1aneMad

Sat May 20, 2017 5:18 pm

Can't the government charge him for the amount spent guarding the embassy 24/7 for 5 years and be done with?
I am sure Putin would happily pick up the bill.
And just let the courts decide if he is going to be extradited to the US or not? Let him out of the embassy, forbid him from leaving the country and let justice take its course.

scbriml

Sat May 20, 2017 10:17 pm

pvjin wrote:

You don't appear to know much about the case, do you?

He jumped bail, ran and hid in the Ecuador Embassy after he'd exhausted all legal processes to avoid extradition to Sweden to face rape charges. The international arrest warrant against him was only withdrawn yesterday by the Swedes. The police guard on the embassy was removed in October 2015 after an estimated £12 million had been spent. It's peanuts.

Even though he no longer faces extradition to Sweden, he will still be arrested when he leaves the embassy for breach of his bail conditions.

tommy1808 wrote:
Well, he has been illegally detained by the UK government for more than half a decade.

That's complete and utter bollocks! His "detainment" is entirely voluntary on his part. He can leave the embassy any time he wants.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Aesma

Sat May 20, 2017 10:39 pm

From what I could find almost 70,000 criminals a year are jumping bail in the UK. Almost as many as people actually in jail.

RoySFlying

Sun May 21, 2017 12:57 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Well, he has been illegally detained by the UK government

If that were true he could have been extradited a long time ago. However, the facts do not match your claim. I don't know whether he is guilty of the rape allegations but what is clear is that he did not appear in the UK court when he was supposed to. It wasn't a simple case of missing an appointment due to a cold or being late to catch a train. He deliberately and with premeditation decided to not appear and chose to go the the Embassy of Ecuador. Far from being "detained" he has chosen to impose upon the hospitality of Ecuador. He could have left at any time and appeared in court. He chose not to.

All along he has attempted to justify his choice on the basis of a fear that he would be extradited to the United States. Whether he is actually at risk remains open to question. There has been no indication that the US has requested his extradition, nor any indication that the UK would grant any such request. It is known that the US had previously asked the Australian government whether it would oppose Assange's extradition, as he is an Australian citizen, but while that indicates that the US was considering a request it is not proof that they wish to proceed with one.
When I was a boy the world was flat and now, some people still strive to keep it that way.

scbriml

Sun May 21, 2017 8:33 am

Aesma wrote:
Thousands of people are wanted for the same reason, usually not much is spent on looking for them, unless it's for a grave crime. Here he's wanted for not showing up...

He didn't "not show up" - he ran away to escape judicial process after he'd failed to overturn the court's ruling that he had to be sent to Sweden.

He had an international arrest warrant against him on charges of rape. Was that not serious enough for you? :confused:

BCal Dc10

Sun May 21, 2017 1:33 pm

tommy1808 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Which branch of the UK government is detaining him? Where is he being detained by the UK Government?
I thought he was "detaining himself" in the Ecuador Embassy, to avoid prosecution, which has nothing to do with the UK Government at all.
What you state is incorrect.

Aesma

Sun May 21, 2017 3:14 pm

The UK is well known for letting the CIA operate on its soil and doesn't want to guarantee protection from the US to Assange.

BTW I was hearing on the radio Assange's French lawyer saying he was asking for asylum to France (no extradition treaty with the US). What is funny is that Assange said in an interview with a Russian paper some days before our election that he had compromising emails on now president Emmanuel Macron. Arrogant much ?

scbriml

Sun May 21, 2017 3:34 pm

Aesma wrote:
The UK is well known for letting the CIA operate on its soil and doesn't want to guarantee protection from the US to Assange.

We are? Do you have some examples?

Aesma wrote:
BTW I was hearing on the radio Assange's French lawyer saying he was asking for asylum to France (no extradition treaty with the US).

In order to get to France, he'd have to leave the Ecuador Embassy. He'll be arrested as soon as he does that.