steeler83
Topic Author

2017 NHL conference/SC finals

Fri May 12, 2017 3:08 am

After a couple of weeks of the twists and turns in this year's NHL playoffs, we have finally come to the Conference Title games. In the Eastern Conference, we have the defending Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins looking for a repeat trip to the Stanley Cup final when they take on the Ottawa Senators. In the Western Conference, we have a surprise team in the Nashville Predators (I'll explain later) taking on the Anaheim Ducks. Let me begin with the Eastern Conference.

Ottawa Senators vs. Pittsburgh Penguins.

This is Ottawa's first trip to the Eastern Conference Finals in 10 years and showcase a standout player/coach combo in Karlsson-Boucher. To get to the final, they had to overcome the New York Rangers, which was not an easy feat given the Rangers' experienced goalie Henrik Lundqvist. The Penguins are making a return trip to the Eastern Conference Finals after dispatching the Ovechkin-lead Capitals in a series which the Caps seemed to have locked up heading into a winner-takes-all game seven on Wednesday. Missing a couple of key players in Hagalin and Daley, and after blowing a lead in game 5 and a virtual no-show in a game 6 home game, the Penguins looked as though they would be taking an early exist from playoff contention. To everyone's surprise, including yours truly, the Penguins came out and played probably their best, most complete game of the whole playoffs so far and defeated the Caps by shutting them out 2-0. The Pens are a banged up team and are severely lacking in some key statistics such as being outshot almost 2-1 in every game, but they still find ways to win games and win a series. Mike Sullivan's "just play" approach seems to be working for this team. Ottawa will not be an easy obstacle to overcome, but I do like the Penguins to advance to the Stanley Cup final, and I see this going at least 6 or 7 games.

Anaheim Ducks vs. Nashville Predators

The Predators seem to be the surprise of the Western Conference, especially with the way they man-handled the top-seeded Chicago Blackhawks in a series sweep of epic proportions. The Ducks overcame a surging Edmonton Oilers team to advance to the Western Conference Final; many had picked the Oilers to represent the West in the Stanley Cup final. This could be an intriguing series to watch, but I look for the Predators to pull this one out in 6 games.

Those are my picks. Granted, I don't follow the West as much as I do the East; hence the lack of information surrounding each of those teams.

There you have it. Predict, discuss, and enjoy the Conference Finals!! That said, GO PENS!!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

910A

Re: 2017 NHL conference/SC finals

Thu May 18, 2017 9:08 pm

Boy the Pens, got their butts handed to them by the Senators last night 5-1. The question is who will be in goal for the Pens in Game 4.

TWA772LR

Fri May 19, 2017 3:55 am

Ducks and oilers was a total nail biter. Hopefully the Ducks pull this out as well as the Senators. I don't think my Ducks can handle the Penguins and it would be deja Vu from the 2007 Finals in the match up, and hopefully victory.
Eat 'em up Kats!

910A

Fri May 19, 2017 2:06 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
Ducks and oilers was a total nail biter. .

Classic SC playoff game. Score really late to tie, and off to sudden death overtime..

jetwet1

Fri May 19, 2017 8:24 pm

910A wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
Ducks and oilers was a total nail biter. .

Classic SC playoff game. Score really late to tie, and off to sudden death overtime..

Yep, as much as I hate the Ducks (Kings fan), they are playing good hockey, can the Preds beat them over 7 games, I think so, but if they manage to get by the Preds, Ottawa and the Pens are playing fantastic hockey, the only question mark is Fleury, the guy is so fragile mentally, I had friends screaming for him to be pulled after 2 goals, they said (I don't watch enough Pens games to know) that you can see his body language change when he goes pear shaped, it can be after 1 goal, it can be after 10 goals, you just never know when he will crumble.

Interestingly, they also expect the Pens not to protect him in the expansion draft.

But no matter what, this is a great time of the year for us hockey fans......As long as the Ducks lose.

910A

Sun May 21, 2017 11:10 pm

Two games in a row that the Senators didn't show up to play. Pens blew them out today 7-0.

910A

Tue May 23, 2017 2:56 am

Never thought that Nashville would make the Cup finals, but they did. Now will be Ottawa or Pittsburgh.

TWA772LR

Tue May 23, 2017 5:26 am

910A wrote:
Never thought that Nashville would make the Cup finals, but they did. Now will be Ottawa or Pittsburgh.

Yeah, neither did I. :mad: :banghead: :cry2: :hissyfit: :ill: :irked: :knockout: :splat: :yell: :splat: :grumpy:

Seriously though, the Ducks were relying on luck since the Edmonton series. Nashville just kept strong, fast, and all around better hockey. The Ducks were also super hot-headed during the playoffs.

Good job and luck Pred's, y'all earned it. This is the one time you'll hear this Memphis-born, country music hating, Ducks fan say anything nice about Nashville! :butthead: :biggrin:

Seriously, 2 goals on 2 goalie pulls. You're better than that Carlyle...
Eat 'em up Kats!

jetwet1

Tue May 23, 2017 6:39 am

Good for Nashville, they are playing great hockey right now.

Lemieux

Tue May 23, 2017 5:54 pm

IF the Pens advance tonight, I take them over the Preds in 5. With RJ out for the Preds, AND Fisher, the Pens center depth is BEYOND superior to Nashville's. Subban and Josi will be a problem, but they can't defend Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel all at once. Sissons is a little scary for me, plus Forsberg (lol Erat) and our D is gonna have a tough go, but nothing they cant't handle.
Full time internet idiot. A319/20/21/332/333, Boeing 733/734/738/752/753/762/763/77W, CR2/7/9, de Havilland DHC-8, Embraer 140/145/175/190, MD82/88.

NIKV69

Tue May 23, 2017 11:05 pm

PEKKA PEKKA!
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

LittleFokker

Fri May 26, 2017 4:59 am

Penguin make the Finals. Yawn. Although it was a very good game 7. Heartbreaking for Ottawa.

On a side note, and I haven't seen this question answered yet. Peter Lavilorette is taking his 3rd team to the Finals (won with Hurricanes in '06, loss with Flyers in '10). How many coaches have taken 3 different teams to the SC Finals?
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

jetwet1

Fri May 26, 2017 7:31 am

3 others, Scotty Bowman, Dick Irvin and Mike Keenan.

While I don't consider Lavilorette to be in the same league as Bowman, he has done a great job in Nashville.

Anyways, my heart says Nashville, my brain says the Pens.

910A

Fri May 26, 2017 1:39 pm

Last night's game is a prime example again why the NHL playoffs are so much better than the NBA game, game 7 double overtime sudden death to see who advances. The NBA game was over before the finish of the first period (actually before game 1).

SFOATLFlyer

Sun May 28, 2017 9:19 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
3 others, Scotty Bowman, Dick Irvin and Mike Keenan.

While I don't consider Lavilorette to be in the same league as Bowman, he has done a great job in Nashville.

Anyways, my heart says Nashville, my brain says the Pens.

I suspect you are correct, as much as I'd like to see the Preds win. Missing their leading scorer. The reality is they were offensively outplayed for much of games 5 and 6, Rinne won it for them. Against a playoff hardened PIT team, I don't think it's our year. However the cup will be hoisted at Bridgestone sooner rather than later.

LittleFokker

Tue May 30, 2017 5:08 am

Predators put up a valiant effort tonight and mostly outplayed Pittsburgh. Tough to beat 10 players on the ice, which included 4 referees shilling for the home team.

I still don't know how they could've overturned that first Nashville goal when all replays were inconclusive. No way to tell if that skate was still on the ice or not.

I am now actively rooting against the Penguins the rest of the way.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

Lemieux

Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:22 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
Predators put up a valiant effort tonight and mostly outplayed Pittsburgh. Tough to beat 10 players on the ice, which included 4 referees shilling for the home team.

I still don't know how they could've overturned that first Nashville goal when all replays were inconclusive. No way to tell if that skate was still on the ice or not.

I am now actively rooting against the Penguins the rest of the way.

Please do, we love the hate!
Full time internet idiot. A319/20/21/332/333, Boeing 733/734/738/752/753/762/763/77W, CR2/7/9, de Havilland DHC-8, Embraer 140/145/175/190, MD82/88.

Flaps

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:15 am

Pens repeat. Not that there was any doubt.

910A

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:51 pm

Flaps wrote:
Pens repeat. Not that there was any doubt.

Love an elimination game that was in doubt for approximately 58 min and 20 seconds. Congrats to the Pens..

Early predication for the 2017-18 season, Las Vegas, and Colorado have already been eliminated from the playoff run..

jetwet1

Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:16 pm

910A wrote:

Early predication for the 2017-18 season, Las Vegas, and Colorado have already been eliminated from the playoff run..

The AVS, sure, Vegas, hmmm, can they at least get more than 2 players on the roster before being eliminated ?

It will be interesting to see how they draft, there are rumors flying around al over the place that a few teams are offering them draft picks/prospects to take certain players with bad contracts, so maybe they have a semi decent first year or two, but have a farm system in place right from the get go.

It will be interesting for sure.

Edit : and it looks like Fleury has waved his NTC for the Knights....