Luxair747SP
Topic Author

Which are your favourite shoe makers?

Thu May 11, 2017 2:07 pm

Hello guys,

looking at buying some loafers. Is there any company which you would recommend with a mid range price tag?
Recently bought some Melvin and Hamilton shoes and quite happy with them (so far)

DLFREEBIRD

Re: Which are your favourite shoe makers?

Thu May 11, 2017 2:40 pm

my husband loves Allen Edmund's,shoes they are a little more expensive, but on average they last about 7 years due to their superb quality. When his soles or heels need replacing, he send them in and pays 75.00 and they come back refurbished and basically
looking like new, he does that about twice before he gives them away.. So, he pays more but in the end he ends up spending less money over time. something to think about, if you like quality shoes.

anshabhi

Thu May 11, 2017 2:49 pm

Bata

slider

Thu May 11, 2017 2:49 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
my husband loves Allen Edmund's,shoes they are a little more expensive, but on average they last about 7 years due to their superb quality. When his soles or heels need replacing, he send them in and pays 75.00 and they come back refurbished and basically
looking like new, he does that about twice before he gives them away.. So, he pays more but in the end he ends up spending less money over time. something to think about, if you like quality shoes.

Allen Edmonds makes AMAZING men's shoes. I'll completely second this! Wonderful quality and durability.

I'm also partial to Johnston & Murphy.

jetwet1

Thu May 11, 2017 3:47 pm

This is going to sound silly, but as someone who used to spend 8-10 hours a day on their feet, walking up to 5 miles a day, I swear by Doc Martens, while certainly not the most stylish, they are very comfortable and last forever.

Kiwirob

Thu May 11, 2017 7:04 pm

I've been buying Crockett and Jones shoes lately, having typically wide kiwi feet, I'm a 9.5 G fit, most of the handmade UK brands have E or F widths as standard with very few having a G. I also buy them with danite soles, since Norway is wet and I end up in shitty places in suites leather soles don't work for me.

I've recently bought a pair of black derby toe caps and a chuka boot.

IMO there's nothing worse than seeing a guy in a nice suit with cheap nasty shoes.

I believe there are now only two American shoe makers still manufacturing in the US Allen Edmonds and Alden. I had a pair of Florishems, one of the last US made ones, they were a great shoe, resolved many times, modern Florishems are junk made in China and India.

Ken777

Thu May 11, 2017 7:48 pm

Alden is at the top of my list. They are a classic shoemaker and was the company that invented the tassel loafer - in 1929! That same shoe is still in the line and is still made the same way, using the same quality of materials. Their entire line is classic and will still be in style 20 years from now because of that approach.

The interesting thing about the company is that it is basically a family company and a family passion. There is a sister company (Alden Orthopedic) that makes speciality shoes in the medical field. That ensures the long term life for the company and also ensures that the new shoes to the line are built on lasts that are well designed.

Definitely on the same par as Allen Edmund's

L410Turbolet

Thu May 11, 2017 8:13 pm

Baťa and Lowa (sports shoes)

johns624

Thu May 11, 2017 9:09 pm

Montrail.

Mellika

Fri May 12, 2017 9:53 am

I prefer ''vagabond''
The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page.
If you require some assistance with academic works, don't be so shy to ask for help writemyessayonline and get the highest grades on time!

Calder

Fri May 12, 2017 1:26 pm

I usually wear a pair of Asolo boots during work hours. When I get home at the end of the day I'll throw on my old pair of Salomon XT Wings.

Both companies make excellent hiking footwear!
C. T.

casinterest

Fri May 12, 2017 3:16 pm

Cheap shoes :)

Nothing says durability and pain tolerance like walking in a 20$-30$ dollar shoe from Wal-Mart.

Actually I prefer New Balance and ASICS as I spend all my time in sneakers unless going formal somewhere.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

slider

Fri May 12, 2017 3:21 pm

Ken777 wrote:
Alden is at the top of my list. They are a classic shoemaker and was the company that invented the tassel loafer - in 1929! That same shoe is still in the line and is still made the same way, using the same quality of materials. Their entire line is classic and will still be in style 20 years from now because of that approach.

The interesting thing about the company is that it is basically a family company and a family passion. There is a sister company (Alden Orthopedic) that makes speciality shoes in the medical field. That ensures the long term life for the company and also ensures that the new shoes to the line are built on lasts that are well designed.

Definitely on the same par as Allen Edmund's

Interestingly, as a point of movie trivia, Indiana Jones wears Alden boots.

Turns out Harrison Ford had a pair when he was doing carpentry work and they ended up being used for the costume design of the final Indy look. :)

DIRECTFLT

Fri May 19, 2017 1:35 pm

In answer to Which are your favourite shoe makers?

I like New Balance tennis shoes. Or at least I used to like them.

I have a pair of their shoes that has the rubbery like sole on the bottom of the shoe.

They don't make any tennis shoes with the soft, cushiony sole on the bottom of the shoe anymore.

The bottom of the tennis shoe is now some kind of hard plastic. They put some cushion inside the shoe, but, that design does not feel as good as the rubbery sole on the bottom of the shoe.

And, no one else seems to make it that either.

I suppose the tennis shoe cabal decided this (overseas) manufacturing change at a meeting....
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

dc9northwest

Fri May 19, 2017 6:40 pm

I liked Michael, poor fella :(

vrbarreto

Fri May 19, 2017 7:19 pm

dc9northwest wrote:
I liked Michael, poor fella :(

I also feel sorry for levy 9

BCal Dc10

Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Anything made in Northampton, but John Lobb is a personal favorite.
For a nice mid price loafer, a classic Gucci horsebit loafer is a good choice.

flipdewaf

Fri May 19, 2017 10:01 pm

For outdoors/working with the horses I use a pair of mountain horse boots due to no laces and a steel toe, these are my most worn footwear.

For work I wear either Pierre Cardin or Trickers, 5 and 15 years old respectively.

I have assics for running at the moment.

Fred

Kiwirob

Sat May 20, 2017 6:57 am

BCal Dc10 wrote:

Do you have bespoke Lobbs form the St James workshop or Hermes John Lobb from Paris?

lugie

Sat May 20, 2017 11:34 am

casinterest wrote:

Actually I prefer New Balance and ASICS as I spend all my time in sneakers unless going formal somewhere.

Same. I'm really glad I'm still at Universtiy so if anything I have to wear formal shoes maybe once or twice a year on family festivities. New Balance and Nike does it for me.
I really like the Roshe and Internationalist models by Nike and I recently found some amazing retro style NB 996s that I wear a lot.
Q400 E175 CRJ9 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 B733 B738 B788
X3 LH 4U TP US YX SN EI LA
FRA STR HAM TXL ACE BRU BLL DUB MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT

SOBHI51

Sat May 20, 2017 6:14 pm

Bally and Prada for me.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

BCal Dc10

Sun May 21, 2017 1:41 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
BCal Dc10 wrote:

Do you have bespoke Lobbs form the St James workshop or Hermes John Lobb from Paris?

Jermyn St

Dutchy

Sun May 21, 2017 2:37 pm

Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Kiwirob

Sun May 21, 2017 4:00 pm

BCal Dc10 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
BCal Dc10 wrote:

Jermyn St

Which is John Lobb owned by Hermes not the real John Lobb London owned by the Lobb family. What's interesting about JL is they never produced shoes in Northampton, this only happened after Hermes bought the Paris shop from the Lobb family and decided they needed to go downmarket with a ready to wear range of shoes, they outsourced production of this range to Edward Green, then in 1990 they purchased the Edward Green factory. In 97 Hermes decided to close down Edward Green, this lead to a walkout, Hermes owned the factory not the brand a new Edward Green factory opened in a Northampton and the rest is history.

Real John Lobb shoes come from the St James shop, if you like shoe shops this is an amazing place, it's like going back in time.

BCal Dc10

Sun May 21, 2017 7:16 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
BCal Dc10 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Jermyn St

Which is John Lobb owned by Hermes not the real John Lobb London owned by the Lobb family. What's interesting about JL is they never produced shoes in Northampton, this only happened after Hermes bought the Paris shop from the Lobb family and decided they needed to go downmarket with a ready to wear range of shoes, they outsourced production of this range to Edward Green, then in 1990 they purchased the Edward Green factory. In 97 Hermes decided to close down Edward Green, this lead to a walkout, Hermes owned the factory not the brand a new Edward Green factory opened in a Northampton and the rest is history.

Real John Lobb shoes come from the St James shop, if you like shoe shops this is an amazing place, it's like going back in time.

I actually didn't know that - interesting thanks. It is a good shoe. I am a big believer that an excellent quality shoe has the ability to last a lifetime and is well worth the extra investment a shoe of such quality might cost.

11725Flyer

Mon May 22, 2017 1:06 am

Vans. Their website has a great selection, and their sizes fit me very well. Wait for the sales, though.

zrs70

Mon May 22, 2017 6:38 am

I am a huge Naot of Israel fan.
18 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2017