salttee

Re: Donald Trump to FBI Director James Comey: "You're Fired!"

Wed May 10, 2017 5:10 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Again, we've handled religious fanatics before, at all levels of government. That is not new to us.
What then makes Pence any different than the other religious loonies that we've successfully dealt with before?

With the exception of Jimmy Carter we've never had a religious nutcase in the white house and Carter was not a religious revolutionary like the current crop of fundis. All the other so called Christians that made it to the white house in the last 100 years or so were phonies.

Pence is a tea party conservative and a Christian fundamentalist, and as such he has a large block of support among the Republican Party whereas Trump is an outsider, with no base of support.

Trump might be more likely to want to get us into a war in Asia, but Pence is just as likely as Trump to get us into another disaster in the Middle East. On the home front, Pence would be likely to have a coherent strategy to dismember any progressive parts of our current government. Trump is more like a chicken with its head cut off IMO. He'll never get anything passed.
"Good genes, very good genes, Ok, very smart, the Wharton School of finance, very good, very smart."

LAX772LR

Wed May 10, 2017 5:34 am

salttee wrote:
With the exception of Jimmy Carter we've never had a religious nutcase in the white house

Um, we've had two Presidents who were f#cking Quakers, and you honestly make a statement like that?
No offense, but there goes your credibility on that issue.

Whether they wore it on their shoulder (Hoover) or suppressed it for their own devious purposes (Nixon) is immaterial to the fact that we've had religious loons of every Protestant flavor in the White house. And it's not like those two were alone: both Truman and Harding were hardcore Baptists. Garfield was a Disciple of Christ, for cryin' out loud.

And that's not to even mention the fakers who learned to co-opt and *use* religion as a means for rallying the masses:
Reagan, GWBush, etc. I personally find that far more dangerous than any "true believer."
Last edited by LAX772LR on Wed May 10, 2017 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

tommy1808

Wed May 10, 2017 5:35 am

eaa3 wrote:
alberchico wrote:
DfwRevolution wrote:

You really believe that a Republican majority Congress and Senate will want to investigate and possibly impeach A Republican president ???

Treason with the Russians to undermine the election is the perhaps one of the most serious crimes you could commit. Even the republicans are not ok with treason with the Russians... I hope at least.

Your hope has already been proven wrong when Yates got to testify and republicans showing no interest in the probe, but used to time to smear her and ask off topic questions.

No point getting a compromised man into the white house, if you don´t have enough of his party in your pockets to keep him from being impeached. The probe should be extended into all members of congress and the senate.

best regards
Thomas
Crooked Donald Trump an his team are extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information. Not fit! #muchworsethanclinton

salttee

Wed May 10, 2017 5:50 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Um, we've had two Presidents who were f#cking Quakers, and you honestly make a statement like that?
No offense, but there goes your credibility on that issue.

Whether they wore it on their shoulder (Hoover) or suppressed it for their own devious purposes (Nixon) is immaterial to the fact that we've had religious loons of every Protestant flavor in the White house. And it's not like those two were alone: both Truman and Harding were hardcore Baptists. Garfield was a Disciple of Christ, for cryin' out loud.

And that's not to even mention the fakers who learned to co-opt and *use* religion as a means for rallying the masses:
Reagan, GWBush, etc. I personally find that far more dangerous than any "true believer."

If you think Richard Nixon was any kind of religious zealot you're leaving me plenty of room to return the personal attack, but I'll pass. And if you think Truman was a religious zealot, you're living on a different planet than I am. Now it turns out that you think the fakers are more dangerous than a real zealot. You don't seem to understand who Mike Pence is or what he and his friends believe and want to bring about, but I'm done with trying to educate you.
"Good genes, very good genes, Ok, very smart, the Wharton School of finance, very good, very smart."

bgm

Wed May 10, 2017 6:00 am

Okie wrote:
Looking like Trey Gowdy for a replacement?

Okie

Please no, not Draco Malfoy.

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." -George Carlin

seahawk

Wed May 10, 2017 6:03 am

LAX772LR wrote:
seahawk wrote:
He did spent too much time investigating a lie

That all the other 16 intelligence agencies (plus the UK's in addition) all unanimously agree concurred?

See folks-- that right there is the "willful suspension of belief" that I mentioned earlier:
Facts be damned, I already have my opinion!

Equally funny how the man turned from devil (when investigating Hillary) to saint when investigating Trump. The basic fact is that Trump has the right to replace him and he did. Everything else is a moot debate.

LAX772LR

Wed May 10, 2017 6:03 am

salttee wrote:
If you think Richard Nixon was any kind of religious zealot you're leaving me plenty of room to return the personal attack, but I'll pass.

...hmm, just like you (clearly) passed on that third sentence I wrote, specifically to preempt the issue. :scratchchin:

salttee wrote:
And if you think Truman was a religious zealot, you're living on a different planet than I am.

Planet reality, perhaps?

Truman wouldn't set foot in a church after inauguration due to fear of compromising his prayers by being a spectacle.
He restricted his profanity to only the words "damn" and "hell" as he wanted to show anger leads to Satan.
Read nearly any letter he wrote to a foreign dignitary (particular his August 1947 letter to Pope Pius) and observe how he'd often go on a religious tirade before getting to the (completely unrelated) point.

Did you have the faintest idea what you were talking about, before making this statement?
Sure doesn't seem like it........

salttee wrote:
Now it turns out that you think the fakers are more dangerous than a real zealot.

Indeed, I do. No qualms about that.

salttee wrote:
You don't seem to understand who Mike Pence is or what he and his friends believe and want to bring about, but I'm done with trying to educate you.

Wouldn't you have to understand the issue yourself, before succeeding in educating anyone else?
Last edited by LAX772LR on Wed May 10, 2017 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

LAX772LR

Wed May 10, 2017 6:07 am

seahawk wrote:
Equally funny

...to what?
When did anyone mention humor in any of this?

seahawk wrote:
how the man turned from devil (when investigating Hillary) to saint when investigating Trump.

Not to anyone who was more interested in fact than emotional blame-shifting.

seahawk wrote:
The basic fact is that Trump has the right to replace him and he did. Everything else is a moot debate.

As remains the fact that replacing the director doesn't make the investigation go away....

seahawk

Wed May 10, 2017 6:13 am

Then why the outrage?

Ken777

Wed May 10, 2017 6:28 am

Senator Schemer, the leading Democrat in the Senate has call for every Senate Democrat to be on the Senate FLoor at 9:30 Wednesday morning. One rumor has the Democrat declining to work with GOP Senators until a Special Prosecutor is announced. That will piss Trump off as it will delay work on health care and tax cut could be delayed for months.

That will also piss Trump off as I don't believe that he is capable of doing what he should do. There will b e actions by Trump that will justify an impeachment.

socalgeo

Wed May 10, 2017 6:36 am

salttee wrote:
DfwRevolution wrote:
Firing the FBI Director also doesn't liberate Trump from any wrongdoing.

You're absolutely correct. It highlights Trump's nefarious wrongdoings.

This is directly akin to Nixon's firing of two attorney's general in a row.
Trump may have quashed the FBI investigation, but there is no way his Russian dealings can ever be swept under the rug now.

LOL - "nefarious wrongdoings" - could you be any more dramatic?
I'm really enjoying the clutching of pearls and gasps of horror here. Splendid!

Clearly Comey has nothing on the President - otherwise he wouldn't be out of a job.

I'd bet that Trump fired him for two reasons - 1) Comey was stalling on the investigation into the spying on and unmasking of US citizens, and 2) simply to force all of the democracts to eat their words about Comey costing Hillary the election. Epic presidential trolling at its finest.

Wonderful!

socalgeo

Wed May 10, 2017 6:38 am

Ken777 wrote:
Senator Schemer, the leading Democrat in the Senate has call for every Senate Democrat to be on the Senate FLoor at 9:30 Wednesday morning. One rumor has the Democrat declining to work with GOP Senators until a Special Prosecutor is announced. That will piss Trump off as it will delay work on health care and tax cut could be delayed for months.

That will also piss Trump off as I don't believe that he is capable of doing what he should do. There will b e actions by Trump that will justify an impeachment.

Impeachment? LOL. Don't get yer hopes up on that.

tommy1808

Wed May 10, 2017 6:46 am

seahawk wrote:
Equally funny how the man turned from devil (when investigating Hillary) to saint when investigating Trump. .

Wasn´t he mostly blasted for talking about an ongoing investigation just a few days before the election, while being completely silent about Trumps Russia connection?

Well, we know know that Trump new about Flynn being compromisable, and instead of firing Flynn, he fired the messenger....

Best regards
Thomas
Crooked Donald Trump an his team are extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information. Not fit! #muchworsethanclinton

socalgeo

Wed May 10, 2017 6:50 am

tommy1808 wrote:
seahawk wrote:
Equally funny how the man turned from devil (when investigating Hillary) to saint when investigating Trump. .

Wasn´t he mostly blasted for talking about an ongoing investigation just a few days before the election, while being completely silent about Trumps Russia connection?

Well, we know know that Trump new about Flynn being compromisable, and instead of firing Flynn, he fired the messenger....

Best regards
Thomas

Ummm, Flynn was fired ..... don't you watch the news?

tommy1808

Wed May 10, 2017 7:00 am

socalgeo wrote:
Ummm, Flynn was fired ..... don't you watch the news?

A long, long time later....

Best regards
Thomas

DocLightning

Wed May 10, 2017 7:42 am

TWA772LR wrote:
The fact you think Pence won't be worse than Trump is laughable.

That is definitely an argument I've been hearing a lot, but if I have to choose between Chaotic Evil and Lawful Evil, I'm going with Lawful Evil. At least Lawful Evils are predictable.

Besides, Mr. Pence won't carelessly throw us into a nuclear war. He might intentionally and after a lot of calculation get us into a nuclear war, but the latter suggests proper planning first.

Mr. Pence is a nightmare on domestic policy, but so is Mr. Trump. Mr. Pence is simply bad news on foreign policy, as opposed to the Tasmanian Devil that is Donald Trump.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

RoySFlying

Wed May 10, 2017 7:45 am

DocLightning wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
Mr. Pence is simply bad news on foreign policy, as opposed to the Tasmanian Devil that is Donald Trump.

Retract, Sir! To compare Trump with a Tasmanian Devil is an insult to the latter.
When I was a boy the world was flat and now, some people still strive to keep it that way.

Dutchy

Wed May 10, 2017 7:46 am

alberchico wrote:
DfwRevolution wrote:
eaa3 wrote:
Firing the FBI Director also doesn't liberate Trump from any wrongdoing. It is Congress that retains the power to impeach the President and Congress can investigate the President with or without the FBI.

You really believe that a Republican majority Congress and Senate will want to investigate and possibly impeach A Republican president ???

In a New York second, when and not if, it suits them. Probably in about 1 year when the next election round is near and Trump doesn't seem to be as popular as he thinks and hinders the Republican party feels they will lose the elections. That's my prediction if he doesn't stand down himself because it is kind of a hard job and he is beginning to realize that :D
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

tommy1808

Wed May 10, 2017 7:54 am

DocLightning wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
The fact you think Pence won't be worse than Trump is laughable.

That is definitely an argument I've been hearing a lot, but if I have to choose between Chaotic Evil and Lawful Evil, I'm going with Lawful Evil. At least Lawful Evils are predictable..

Plus of course you can have an unlawful evil in bed with Putin, and that puppet is going about to dismantle the US of A while you watch, and ruining it for good (curtailing education, science and such als long term effects) or a lawful evil that at least has the interests of the USA at heart...... should be an easy enough choice.

Dutchy wrote:
In a New York second, when and not if, it suits them. Probably in about 1 year when the next election round is near and Trump doesn't seem to be as popular as he thinks and hinders the Republican party feels they will lose the elections. That's my prediction if he doesn't stand down himself because it is kind of a hard job and he is beginning to realize that :D

You are talking about the chaps that have been stupid enough to celebrate condemning hundreds of thousands of US citizens to die, many a slow and painful death (i.e. cancer), instead of putting a "after Obama did nothing to safe is messed up attempt at healthcare, we know this is hard, but the only way to safe healthcare at all" spin on it with appropriate sad faces......

Maybe some will have a sense of self preservation, but they seem to be reasonably sure that the rich they just bought themselves for the lives of US citizens will somehow make them win.... and i am sure the KGB is already working on 2018.

best regards
Thomas

DIRECTFLT

Wed May 10, 2017 8:33 am

Let the firings continue, until morale improves...

Terminate him .... with Extreme Prejudice

He was out there operating without any decent restraint, totally beyond the pale of any acceptable human conduct. And he was still in the field commanding troops.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

LMP737

Wed May 10, 2017 8:45 am

DfwRevolution wrote:

Firing the FBI Director also doesn't liberate Trump from any wrongdoing. It is Congress that retains the power to impeach the President and Congress can investigate the President with or without the FBI.

Correct. Just like Nixon having Archibald Cox fired did not stop investigations into Watergate. Which makes you wonder why they would take the political risk in doing so.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

jetwet1

Wed May 10, 2017 9:19 am

seahawk wrote:
Well done. He did spent too much time investigating a lie, time he should have spent bringing Hillary to justice and behind the bars.

Just stop, it's not going to happen, from the moment Trump spouted off with that remark I knew the far right would be having mental orgasms, but, it will not happen, I know you can't move on,but try, it will make life so much easier for you.

Okay.....If the White House had come out and listed the mistakes made in the email investigation, including the "hundreds of thousands of emails...I mean 12" debacle then okay, I could deal with it, but really, the optics of this just are horrible.

The guy tasked with investigating links between Russia and Trump, is fired by the the guy that tasked him with investigating, after the same guy (AG) had to recuse himself from that investigation, due to his ties with Russia, it just looks horrible.

Now, Trump actually has a chance to turn this whole mess around, if he appoints someone that everyone can agree is a neutral party, with impeccable credentials....Which means in a few days Trump will announce Jared Kushner as his choice......

salttee

Wed May 10, 2017 11:05 am

DocLightning wrote:
That is definitely an argument I've been hearing a lot, but if I have to choose between Chaotic Evil and Lawful Evil, I'm going with Lawful Evil. At least Lawful Evils are predictable.

Besides, Mr. Pence won't carelessly throw us into a nuclear war. He might intentionally and after a lot of calculation get us into a nuclear war, but the latter suggests proper planning first.

Mr. Pence is a nightmare on domestic policy, but so is Mr. Trump. Mr. Pence is simply bad news on foreign policy, as opposed to the Tasmanian Devil that is Donald Trump.

With Trump you have one crazyman with a tiny base, with Pence you get someone equally detached from reality with about half the Republican party rock solid behind him. The rest of the Republicans would just become a rubber stamp. I see benefit in having a weak crazyman as opposed to a crazyman at the head of a movement.

It appears that Trump has already backed down on China, the war I want to not happen is with Iran; Pence is even more of a danger there than Trump. Pence is not afraid to bring on "the end of times".

But don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to impeaching Trump, I'm just not as optimistic about Pence as you and TWA772LR.
A hobbled Trump might be our best option.

DocLightning

Wed May 10, 2017 1:01 pm

RoySFlying wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
Mr. Pence is simply bad news on foreign policy, as opposed to the Tasmanian Devil that is Donald Trump.

Retract, Sir! To compare Trump with a Tasmanian Devil is an insult to the latter.

Fair enough. I retract the analogy and in turn compare him to a poopnado. How bou dah?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

bmacleod

Wed May 10, 2017 1:21 pm

Even as POTUS Trump still acting like he's still host of 'The Apprentice' treating high level department heads or advisors as reality show contestants.

1. Acting AG Sally Yates
2. NSA - Michael Flynn
3. FBI Director James Comey

Also a federal US attorney.
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

NoTime

Wed May 10, 2017 1:23 pm

Not to interrupt all of the hyperventilating going on around here, but the WSJ makes a few good points in an article today - Comey’s Deserved Dismissal.

It points out that Comey was fired on the advice of Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who was only recently confirmed (the end of April). That would explain the timing. It also presents the case for his firing which, in addition to the top 10 FBI fails that that I linked to yesterday, make it clear this guy should've been kicked to the curb long ago. (And, of course, don't forget that the left was calling for his head just a few months ago... but, I guess "the enemy of my enemy..." holds true, here.)

Granted, I'm sure many of you consider anything to the right of the huffington post to be biased media, but it might be worth a read for the handful of you that are rational.
"Anyone who doesn't accept the results of an election is a danger to democracy"- Hillary Clinton

DIRECTFLT

Wed May 10, 2017 1:29 pm

Ken777 wrote:
There have already been comments about the Tuesday Afternoon Massacre - a strong reference of Nixon firing Archibald Cox, who was investigating him. FBI Director Comey WAS investigating Trump associates, and maybe Trump himself.

If Trump got wind that he was in trouble then this firing could be the start of the end of Trump. Very Nixonian indeed!

Naaah Ken777.... He didn't go Full Nixon, he just went The Full Monty on Comey :P

We're all looking at the same thing, but just through different glasses!!!
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

ALTF4

Wed May 10, 2017 1:37 pm

Aesma wrote:
I received a notification about this on my phone at 6AM. It's a French app not one supposed to give me news about internal US matters.

Seems like an issue to take up with the app maker, not the A.nut tech non-support forum? Maybe your signature gives a few hints as to the cause? :lol:
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

MaverickM11

Wed May 10, 2017 2:31 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
People will take you seriously when you grow a pair and refer to your President by his name. I haven't seen this level of immaturity since I was in 5th grade.

You mean the guy that calls people "Pocanhontas"? And that's one of his more mature epithets... Maybe he'd get some respect if he showed any--which he's totally incapable of--so you better get used to it.

jetwet1 wrote:
The guy tasked with investigating links between Russia and Trump, is fired by the the guy that tasked him with investigating, after the same guy (AG) had to recuse himself from that investigation, due to his ties with Russia, it just looks horrible.

Well he did add "while I greatly appreciate you informing me, on three separate occasions, that I am not under investigation"...so seems totally legit! :lol:
E pur si muove -Galileo

einsteinboricua

Wed May 10, 2017 3:01 pm

I think Republicans really want to lose the House and Senate.

McConnell just came out saying he opposes any further Russia investigation.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Tugger

Wed May 10, 2017 3:24 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I think Republicans really want to lose the House and Senate.

McConnell just came out saying he opposes any further Russia investigation.

But I think a lot of their base also approves of ending what they consider "a charade" and essentially a witch hunt (or probably more accurately a snipe hunt).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

MaverickM11

Wed May 10, 2017 3:57 pm

seahawk wrote:
Equally funny how the man turned from devil (when investigating Hillary) to saint when investigating Trump.

Same as you in reverse

seahawk wrote:
The basic fact is that Trump has the right to replace him and he did. Everything else is a moot debate.

What Trump doesn't have the brain matter to comprehend is that just because you *can* do something doesn't mean you are immune from the context and consequences of it. His followers aren't much better.
E pur si muove -Galileo

seahawk

Wed May 10, 2017 4:05 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
seahawk wrote:
Equally funny how the man turned from devil (when investigating Hillary) to saint when investigating Trump.

Same as you in reverse

No, I thought he has every right to investigate the Emails, as he has every right to investigate the Russian connection, as Trump has the right to fire him.

tommy1808

Wed May 10, 2017 4:19 pm

seahawk wrote:
No, I thought he has every right to investigate the Emails, as he has every right to investigate the Russian connection, as Trump has the right to fire him.

He had every right to investigate into email, and I can't recall people here saying he can't, so at least that sentiment wasn't wide sspread. Just that stunt before the election got people mad.

as Trump has the right to fire him

Just as any other president did, except they didn't. ...

Tugger wrote:
But I think a lot of their base also approves of ending what they consider "a charade" and essentially a witch hunt (or probably more accurately a snipe hunt).

Tugg

It is however big league naive to think that anyone can shut down the investigation. If they did, Newspapers will find enough leaks to puzzle it together. Thank God the agency was wise enough to distribute the information as far as was legal, to prevent a president under potential foreign control from burying it.
They probably love the bullet point intelligence briefings, at least they don't have to lie to the president to keep sensitive information from him.

Best regards
Thomas

DLFREEBIRD

Wed May 10, 2017 4:49 pm

After this last incident. , it's obvious to me that he's hiding more than just his taxes. I'm going to have a wait and see attitude. Maybe American votes
will allow Trump's wealthcare era to end or continue. It's not the first time that American's have voted against their best interest.

Some voters will vote for their party no matter what.

apodino

Wed May 10, 2017 5:04 pm

Very bizarre happenings in Washington, just when you thought it couldn't get any more so. My thoughts.

The Democrats for months had called for Comey's head. Dianne Feinstein even accused Comey last week in the congressional hearing of costing Clinton the election. Hillary herself has made the same charges. If Trump had done nothing with Comey, the Democrats would have been crying murder for defending this guy. However the FBI is also conducting an investigation into the Russian Involvement in the previous election. Because of this, by firing Comey the Democrats are claiming it was to stifle the investigation into Russia and cover his own behind. The Democrats had put Trump into a Catch 22 situation, and no matter what Trump did, the Democrats had something waiting for him. In my opinion, the Democratic party has no credibility whatsoever on this issue because no matter what Trump did, it was impossible for it to be right in the eyes of the Democrats. I believe this was by design, and it was the reason Lynch and Obama didn't fire Comey prior to Trump's inauguration.

That being said, Trump himself has completely mishandled this situation. The letter he wrote to Comey is a disgrace. Not having the decency to actually talk to Comey about this is a disgrace. Firing him behind his back while he was out of town is a disgrace. I am embarrassed by the way this administration has handled this situation. Totally classless on the administrations part. And to do this one day before the Russian Foreign Minister came to the White House really raises some suspicions.

The only credible explanation on the timing is this. Rod Rosenstein was confirmed as Deputy Attorney General two weeks ago on a 94-6 vote. While his letter to the President did not explicitly call for Comey's firing, he did say that that in his opinion, Comey could no longer lead the department. I don't know if the letter was a top down directive or if it originated from Rosenstein himself, but given Rosenstein's reputation, I believe the latter is true. If that is the case, the timing of this whole situation makes perfect sense and this is much ado about nothing.

I do believe Comey had to go. There is no way I believe he could continue to do the job after his handling of the Clinton case as well as his bizarre testimony last week before the Judiciary committee. I think Trump could have handled it way differently. And I think no matter what happened with Comey, the Democrats had a political issue on this. Trump did the only thing he could realistically do in this situation. But the way he did is embarrassing, and I still wonder how a guy like this became president.

I also believe that a Special Prosecutor is needed. I know Senate republicans have rejected calls for this. That being said, it is not their call. Rosenstein is the one that has to call for the special prosecutor. I hope he does the right thing and appoints one for this case. It is my understanding that a Grand Jury is looking into this as well.

And lastly, this wont stop the investigation in any way shape or form. If this was the intent on Donald Trump's part, then I do believe you have grounds for impeachment. But Trump knows the investigation wont end with this firing. And Democrats know that he knows this as well.

Ken777

Wed May 10, 2017 6:14 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Naaah Ken777.... He didn't go Full Nixon, he just went The Full Monty on Comey :P

We're all looking at the same thing, but just through different glasses!!!

Well, there is no doubt that Comey has far larger hands than Trump.

The guy looks about 6" taller (in height) than Trump, which would give Trump an inferior complex.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

socalgeo

Wed May 10, 2017 6:25 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
After this last incident. , it's obvious to me that he's hiding more than just his taxes. I'm going to have a wait and see attitude. Maybe American votes
will allow Trump's wealthcare era to end or continue. It's not the first time that American's have voted against their best interest.

Some voters will vote for their party no matter what.

Objectively, I think you are off the mark. If history tells us anything about FBI Directors it's that they have sometimes been able to stay in power because of the dirt they have on the professional politicians. It's accepted as fact that J Edgar Hoover had dirt on many, many of them.

If there is anything to be learned from this is that President Trump is not afraid of anything that Comey knows about him. Let that sink in for a moment. J Edgar Hover is spinning in his grave not because Trump fired Comey, but because Comey didn't have the dirt to keep his job......

Just a little dose of reality for all of you this fine morning....

Tugger

Wed May 10, 2017 7:11 pm

socalgeo wrote:
Objectively, I think you are off the mark. If history tells us anything about FBI Directors it's that they have sometimes been able to stay in power because of the dirt they have on the professional politicians. It's accepted as fact that J Edgar Hoover had dirt on many, many of them.

If there is anything to be learned from this is that President Trump is not afraid of anything that Comey knows about him. Let that sink in for a moment. J Edgar Hover is spinning in his grave not because Trump fired Comey, but because Comey didn't have the dirt to keep his job......

What reality? That is not very "objective" or real as Hoover was a corrupt person, are you saying that Comey is corrupt?
(And of course being gay was a grave offense in those days, so he was super corrupt... Hoover was a messed up person psychologically by all accounts due to this conflict in addition to being corrupt, there really is no comparison.)

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

BobPatterson

Wed May 10, 2017 7:13 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
Now, Trump actually has a chance to turn this whole mess around, if he appoints someone that everyone can agree is a neutral party, with impeccable credentials....Which means in a few days Trump will announce Jared Kushner as his choice......

I appreciate your sense of humor. ;-)
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

Dutchy

Wed May 10, 2017 7:32 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

I appreciate your sense of humor. ;-)

I wouldn't be surprised.......
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

LMP737

Wed May 10, 2017 7:48 pm

NoTime wrote:
Not to interrupt all of the hyperventilating going on around here, but the WSJ makes a few good points in an article today - Comey’s Deserved Dismissal.

It points out that Comey was fired on the advice of Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who was only recently confirmed (the end of April). That would explain the timing. It also presents the case for his firing which, in addition to the top 10 FBI fails that that I linked to yesterday, make it clear this guy should've been kicked to the curb long ago. (And, of course, don't forget that the left was calling for his head just a few months ago... but, I guess "the enemy of my enemy..." holds true, here.)

Granted, I'm sure many of you consider anything to the right of the huffington post to be biased media, but it might be worth a read for the handful of you that are rational.

Not to rain on your hyperventilating defense of Trump but the NYT brings up an interesting point.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/us/p ... n-fbi.html
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

socalgeo

Wed May 10, 2017 8:42 pm

Tugger wrote:
socalgeo wrote:

What reality? That is not very "objective" or real as Hoover was a corrupt person, are you saying that Comey is corrupt?
(And of course being gay was a grave offense in those days, so he was super corrupt... Hoover was a messed up person psychologically by all accounts due to this conflict in addition to being corrupt, there really is no comparison.)

Tugg

Tugg - I'm saying that is is reasonable to acknowledge the reality of the historic role that FBI directors have played since the great depression as the keepers of secrets. Comey, while perhaps not being corrupt, knows a great deal about President Trump and the workings of his inner circle - if he doesn't then he is incompetent. Now that he is a private citizen he has many new avenues by which he could potentially damage the President, if he chose to, and if he had damning information. To think otherwise would be naive.

Additionally, given the involvement of Comey in the fake dossier that he received from McCain (who got it from the Clinton campaign) and provided to then president Obama in a classified briefing, I think it is fair to say that at a minimum he has been willing to play political games with potentially damaging, but ultimately false information.

Its reasonable to assume that since these investigations have been going on for many months, under both the Obama and Trump administrations, if there is any substance to the charges Comey will have had access to this info.

So in my opinion there are two scenarios:

Scenario 1) President Trump is the person that his enemies say he is - totally corrupt and involved in various nefarious and treasonous activities with Vladimir Putin - a wretch. If this is the case, then he would do the math and keep Comey in the government and under non-disclosure for as long as possible. He would be trying to get his own dirt on Comey so he could control him. Firing Comey would accelerate Trumps demise.

Scenario 2) President Trump is not corrupt,or involved with the Russians in nefarious and treasonous activities. Comey has no real dirt. Firing Comey just removes another Obama appointee who is blocking the investigation into the unmasking of US citizens, and gives the President another opportunity to troll his enemies.

From my vantage point, scenario #2 is the more likely one. Given that leaders on both sides of this have stated that no evidence of collusion has been found.

This is my logic as i see it... Thoughts?

Hillis

Wed May 10, 2017 9:21 pm

According to the lead on CNN.com right now, Comey's people are saying he was dumped because he never swore loyalty to The Orange Menace and that the investigation into the Orange Menace-Russia dealings was heating up.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/10/politics/ ... index.html

Former President Teddy Roosevelt, who was a pretty damn good POTUS in his day once said "Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official, save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country." Good man, Teddy was.

The President is NOT the country. This one has a messiah complex where he clearly feels everyone should bow to him, not the Constitution of the United States. And the story that he fired him for his role in the Clinton email scandal is so beyond any sense of credibility that it's truly frightening. Of course, I'm sure some of the apologists for this scumbag believe every word coming from Sean Spicer. The intelligent among us can see what an insult that is to the intelligence of the American people.
B737-100, B737-200, B737-300, B737-500, B737-700, B737-800, B737-900, B727, B-707 DC-10, MD-11, 763, 764, 777, 757-200, 757-300, A-319, A-320, A-321, A-300, ERJ-145, ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190, CRJ-100, CRJ-200, DASH-2, DASH-3, DASH-8, BAE-146

socalgeo

Wed May 10, 2017 9:28 pm

Hillis wrote:
According to the lead on CNN.com right now, Comey's people are saying he was dumped because he never swore loyalty to The Orange Menace and that the investigation into the Orange Menace-Russia dealings was heating up.

Former President Teddy Roosevelt, who was a pretty damn good POTUS in his day once said "Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official, save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country." Good man, Teddy was.

The President is NOT the country. This one has a messiah complex where he clearly feels everyone should bow to him, not the Constitution of the United States. And the story that he fired him for his role in the Clinton email scandal is so beyond any sense of credibility that it's truly frightening. Of course, I'm sure some of the apologists for this scumbag believe every word coming from Sean Spicer. The intelligent among us can see what an insult that is to the intelligence of the American people.

CNN is not a valid source for news. TMZ is more objective. Do try to do better in the future please...seriously ..... this post is just embarrassing and awkward.

salttee

Wed May 10, 2017 9:33 pm

Hover could blackmail people because people in the past felt susceptible to damage to their reputations, but this is not the case with Trump; his supporters and the Republicans have forgiven all his lies and violations of ethics and law so far. He was elected after being outed as a rapist and a wife beater. Nobody even minds that he won't reveal his income tax records, they accept his nepotism and so on and so on. There is no possible bit of trivia about Trump that Comey could use that would embarrass a guy like Trump.

socalgeo

Wed May 10, 2017 10:44 pm

salttee wrote:
Hover could blackmail people because people in the past felt susceptible to damage to their reputations, but this is not the case with Trump; his supporters and the Republicans have forgiven all his lies and violations of ethics and law so far. He was elected after being outed as a rapist and a wife beater. Nobody even minds that he won't reveal his income tax records, they accept his nepotism and so on and so on. There is no possible bit of trivia about Trump that Comey could use that would embarrass a guy like Trump.

I agree with you to a point. However regardless of the hyperboli of the left, there are limits to what Trump supporter will accept. Real evidence of treason for example where he provided secrets to the Russians would be a deal breaker. Or real evidence of payoffs to government officials for development deals. Murder for hire would be bad ...

Despite what you hear on the main stream news, nothing like this has ever been presented.

Even you have to admit that there has been massive efforts to find any evidence of anything like this. Heck, Obama had him investigated for gods sakes. If there was anything to find, it surely would have been found by now... time to put up or shut up...

salttee

Wed May 10, 2017 11:06 pm

socalgeo wrote:
Heck, Obama had him investigated for gods sakes. If there was anything to find, it surely would have been found by now... time to put up or shut up...

The current FBI investigation is the only investigation requested by Obama and six months is often just a start for something like this.
Watergate took two years and that didn't need the cooperation of the CIA or the NSA or even the State Department.
It's not just a matter of "finding something", evidence needs to be collected for a prosecution or multiple prosecutions. All the ducks have to be in a row.

dragon-wings

Wed May 10, 2017 11:21 pm

socalgeo wrote:
Hillis wrote:

CNN is not a valid source for news. TMZ is more objective. Do try to do better in the future please...seriously ..... this post is just embarrassing and awkward.

So what is a credible source for you? Here is a Fox news story saying Comey was asking for more resources into the Trump/Russia probe right before he was fired.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05 ... s-say.html
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

NoTime

Thu May 11, 2017 1:09 am

LMP737 wrote:
NoTime wrote:

Not to rain on your hyperventilating defense of Trump but the NYT brings up an interesting point.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/us/p ... n-fbi.html

Do people on the left realize that Trump didn't fire the entire FBI? Just the Director of the FBI...?
"Anyone who doesn't accept the results of an election is a danger to democracy"- Hillary Clinton