Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

anshabhi
Topic Author

Coming Soon: A vegan fast food chain

Fri May 05, 2017 4:44 am

Yoga teacher Ramdev is cooking up a recipe to take on multinational fast food chains, including KFC, McDonald's and
Subway .
With vegetarian food catching up as a global trend due to health benefits, Ramdev told TOI that he is working on launching a quick service restaurant (QSR) chain across the country that will offer 400 recipes .
Ramdev said he is also looking to open his restaurants in international markets. "I have travelled to many countries and vegetarianism is catching on like wildfire," he said. "People stand in queues to get access to vegetarian food."

http://m.timesofindia.com/business/indi ... 524814.cms

This company is actually an NGO and(Patanjali Ayurved) has an annual turnover of $1.65 billion.

What is your response to their plans?

tommy1808

Re: Coming Soon: A vegan fast food chain

Fri May 05, 2017 4:59 am

anshabhi wrote:
With vegetarian food catching up as a global trend due to health benefits, Ramdev told TOI that he is working on launching a quick service restaurant (QSR) chain across the country that will offer 400 recipes .
Ramdev said he is also looking to open his restaurants in international markets. "I have travelled to many countries and vegetarianism is catching on like wildfire," he said. "People stand in queues to get access to vegetarian food." .

Awesome! Not just are there more and more people with a whatever-tarian lifestyle, but also more and more people that try to eat less meat, and when they eat it, better meat.

McD FishMac is a disgrace and their veggie burger here is probably the first i threw away after a few bites... veggie/vegan fast food may work just fine.

best regards
Thomas

Kiwirob

Fri May 05, 2017 5:45 am

anshabhi wrote:
Ramdev said he is also looking to open his restaurants in international markets. "I have travelled to many countries and vegetarianism is catching on like wildfire," he said. "People stand in queues to get access to vegetarian food."

I travel a lot, I see plenty of alternative lifestyle restaurants, but I've never seen one with people lining up to get in.

I find the idea of making chemicals and vegetables look and taste like meat hilarious, especially when there are animals out there just waiting to be eaten.

tommy1808

Fri May 05, 2017 6:06 am

Kiwirob wrote:
I travel a lot, I see plenty of alternative lifestyle restaurants, but I've never seen one with people lining up to get in.

you haven´t been to Asia much, have you?

I find the idea of making chemicals and vegetables look and taste like meat hilarious, especially when there are animals out there just waiting to be eaten.

You are being ridiculous. You don´t need chemicals to make stuff taste like meat, actually most people don´t eat meet without doing something to it to give it taste, because they don´t really want it to taste like meat. My last birthday i tested that, i brought Mettbrötchen for my coworkers, and me being vegetarian people just expected that to be fake Mett, which is also what i told them it was. People even where like "It is really good, but when you know it, you can taste it isn´t real meat." .... only it was.

Try "Ma petite boucherie vegan Broché" by Sebastien Kardina. If you have made some of the stuff in that book, you may come to realize that we don´t use chemicals to make vegetables taste like meat, but rather we use spices to make meat taste like vegetables, and that no chemicals are needed to make vegetables taste like meat. Industrial vegan food producers of course often use the easy road, but they do that with non-vegan food as well.

I don´t get why anyone would want to fake a steak, if you want one, just eat one, but it isn´t a big problem to make it taste and chew like meat.

best regards
Thomas

B777LRF

Fri May 05, 2017 6:24 am

'Vegetarian' is an old Indian word meaning 'bad hunter'.

Said it before, will say it again: The highest duty of an animal is to present itself well prepared on my plate for dinner.

tommy1808

Fri May 05, 2017 6:32 am

B777LRF wrote:

nope,
Vegetus:
invigorating
lively, bright, vivid, quick
vigorous, active, energetic

-arian:
A believer in something.
An advocate of something.
(uncommon) A native or inhabitant of somewhere.

best regards
Thomas

dtw2hyd

Fri May 05, 2017 10:50 am

B777LRF wrote:

Said it before, will say it again: The highest duty of an animal is to present itself well prepared on my plate for dinner.

Throwing frozen food in microwave and drive-thru takeout are not considered good hunting skills. Also both are made up of less than desirable parts of animals' body.

johns624

Fri May 05, 2017 12:32 pm

I know that I'm being an insensitive jerk, but every time I get one of those Indian telemarketers with the Windows/Microsoft scam, I ask him when's the last time that he had a nice, juicy hamburger. Then I hang up.

Calder

Fri May 05, 2017 1:27 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
B777LRF wrote:

nope,
Vegetus:
invigorating

-arian:
A believer in something.

best regards
Thomas

Yeaa that was a pretty common joke actually.

To stay on topic, most (>80%) of the people I know who are vegetarian/vegan made the switch to help with weight loss. I'd say it works out well for about 3/4s of them.

BobPatterson

Fri May 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Vegetarian is all chemical.

Non-vegetarian is all chemical.

WE are entirely chemical.

There is nothing in nature that is not chemical.

One of the few things I remember from chemistry class.

Sense of smell and taste? All chemical.

Have a nice day. :-)

ltbewr

Sat May 06, 2017 11:50 am

With growing numbers of persons of certain faith groups, for health and personal ethical reasons choosing to not eat animal sourced foods, it would make sense to have 'vegan' based quick/fast service restaurants available. Their products would have to be true vegan, with no animal products including cheese/dairy, from organic sources as much as possible, not loaded up with salt and chemicals and reasonably priced. Chipolte - but avoiding their recent problems - would be the best model. Wraps, salads, vegetable platters, rice, beans, tofu, potatoes, seasonal vegetables with a variety of spicing, healthy beverages, all could and should be part of the menu. Take from many cultures from around the world with their non-animal based diet, food, spicing and preparation. It may not be easy to come up with a ideal formula for such a restaurant but I do believe the demand is growing and profits exist in the right places and must be considered.

Channex757

Sat May 06, 2017 1:16 pm

ltbewr wrote:
With growing numbers of persons of certain faith groups, for health and personal ethical reasons choosing to not eat animal sourced foods, it would make sense to have 'vegan' based quick/fast service restaurants available. Their products would have to be true vegan, with no animal products including cheese/dairy, from organic sources as much as possible, not loaded up with salt and chemicals and reasonably priced. Chipolte - but avoiding their recent problems - would be the best model. Wraps, salads, vegetable platters, rice, beans, tofu, potatoes, seasonal vegetables with a variety of spicing, healthy beverages, all could and should be part of the menu. Take from many cultures from around the world with their non-animal based diet, food, spicing and preparation. It may not be easy to come up with a ideal formula for such a restaurant but I do believe the demand is growing and profits exist in the right places and must be considered.

The ones round here are a lot more imaginative than the salad bar type places.

Manchester in the UK has a thriving restaurant scene and is becoming known for the vegan (not vegetarian, fully vegan) side of things. It's almost like you have a choice of serious meat places or vegan with not much in between. Sooner or later one of these vegan places will explode and a few are already running small chains. Their hot food offering is becoming pretty sophisticated with some blue sky thinking takes on burger style takeout that just resemble meat burgers but taste a damned sight better in some cases.

There's also a large ethnic vegan offering on places like the Curry Mile, but it's the more trendy/hipster/student that is patronising vegan places. The "rice and three" places where you get rice or chapati and a choice of three vegan curries or three meat curries are really becoming popular and eventually someone will get the investment to roll that out as a franchise or chain as it's simple and cheap.

I've even heard of someone proposing a kosher vegan offering for vegan Jews!

Kiwirob

Sat May 06, 2017 2:38 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Sure have, just not India, people in Asian countries enjoy meat as much as anyone else, the problem is many people can't afford it.

You are being ridiculous. You don´t need chemicals to make stuff taste like meat, actually most people don´t eat meet without doing something to it to give it taste, because they don´t really want it to taste like meat. My last birthday i tested that, i brought Mettbrötchen for my coworkers, and me being vegetarian people just expected that to be fake Mett, which is also what i told them it was. People even where like "It is really good, but when you know it, you can taste it isn´t real meat." .... only it was.

Try "Ma petite boucherie vegan Broché" by Sebastien Kardina. If you have made some of the stuff in that book, you may come to realize that we don´t use chemicals to make vegetables taste like meat, but rather we use spices to make meat taste like vegetables, and that no chemicals are needed to make vegetables taste like meat. Industrial vegan food producers of course often use the easy road, but they do that with non-vegan food as well.

I don´t get why anyone would want to fake a steak, if you want one, just eat one, but it isn´t a big problem to make it taste and chew like meat.

best regards
Thomas[/quote]

You don't go to supermarkets much, there's all sort of meat free substitutes attempting to replicate meat, its ridiculous, when we have meat on the hoof or wing just ready to slaughter and eat.

tommy1808

Sat May 06, 2017 3:58 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Sure have, just not India, people in Asian countries enjoy meat as much as anyone else, the problem is many people can't afford it.

They also have a lot of buddists and many of them eat vegan. Those that are not, you are right, usually love meat...

Best regards
Thomas

B777LRF

Sun May 07, 2017 7:23 am

tommy1808 wrote:
B777LRF wrote:

nope,
Vegetus:
invigorating

-arian:
A believer in something.

best regards
Thomas

Thomas please check your sense of humour meter, it seems to be giving you false indications.

trav110

Sun May 07, 2017 7:29 am

I have never met a vegan who wasn't completely insane

bluejuice

Sun May 07, 2017 7:44 am

There is already a small chain of vegan quick service restaurants operating in the US.
https://lovinghut.us/

It all supposidly get tied to a cult but the food is actually pretty good. There is a sit down restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area that does not operate under the Loving Hut name but is darn good.

BawliBooch

Mon May 08, 2017 2:18 am

anshabhi wrote:
[i]Yoga teacher Ramdev is cooking up a recipe to take on multinational fast food chains, including KFC, McDonald's and
Subway .

This company is actually an NGO and(Patanjali Ayurved) has an annual turnover of $1.65 billion.

Kaana-baba Ramdev is the same quack who claimed that you can cure Homosexuality with Lauki juice! And his company Patanjali also sells pills guaranteeing male children!

Who would go to his "Vegan food chain"? Unless you want to expose yourself and your children to lead poisoning.

Kiwirob wrote:

Actually, in many parts of India, Meat is the cheapest source of protein available. And almost all of it is unprocessed (as in directly sourced from the local butcher). One of the biggest lies spun about India, is that majority of the population here is Vegan. We are not. Quite the opposite actually. A small minority of upper caste Brahmins and some Buddhists for sure. But the vast majority of population relishes having some kind of non-vegetarian food atleast once a week.

trav110 wrote:
I have never met a vegan who wasn't completely insane

Absolutely!

unrave

Thu May 11, 2017 2:50 pm

There was some survey of Indian dietary habits which concluded that more than 90% of Indians do consume meat, though the frequency of consumption is much lower than western nations. I suspect it is a question of affordability, and I firmly believe the per capita consumption will only go up as Indians get wealthier.

It is unfortunate that Indian cuisine has become almost synonymous with vegetarianism while actually any region of India has its signature meat dishes.

Only a fraction of the vegetarians that I know avoid meat by choice, out of concern for either the environment or the animals, while a large majority avoid meat because of vague religious reasons and I consider it my life's mission to show them the light.

BawliBooch

Fri May 12, 2017 12:59 am

unrave wrote:
It is unfortunate that Indian cuisine has become almost synonymous with vegetarianism while actually any region of India has its signature meat dishes.

Most Westerners are sadly unaware of the sheer variety in Indian cuisine. Most of what is sold as Indian food in the US/Europe is basically Punjabi food.

Examples by state:
1. Kashmir: Wazwan
2. Punjab: Chicken Tikka.
3. Rajasthan - Laal Maas with Dal Baati.
4. Madhya Pradesh - Achari Gosht, Bafla (similar to Baati), Rogan Josh.
5. UP - Kakori/Tunday/Pasanda Kababs,
6. Bihar - Litti-Chaap, Mutton Chaap, Pottaya Fish, Mustard Fish (avail in Delhi/Gurgaon - must try).
7. Bengal - One of the few states where Fish & Egg are not even considered non-vegetarian! :) Cant list them all. I have a huge soft-corner for Kosha Mangsho (very spicy goat meat curry).
8. Odisha - Ilisha Maacha Tarkari (ask for this at the Odia Bhavan Canteen in Delhi - awesomeness for $1!).
9.Andhra/Telengana : Hyderabadi Biryani, Vijayawada Rabbit curry.
10. Maharashtra : atleast 3 distinct cuisines from this state alone. Particularly like Malvani cuisine of the coast. Also Tambada Rassa (spicy goat curry).
11. Karnataka: Mangalore side cuisine with its Portuguese Christian influences intermixed with local cuisine is particularly awesome. And do I even have to say it: Coorgi Pork dishes! va va voom!
11. Tamil Nadu: Chettinad cuisine - simply awesome. Rest is an acquired taste. Air India usually serves ONLY Chettinad meals in the non-veg option on their flights to south india.
12. Kerala: Spicy Beef Fry with Brandy is a Malayalee specialty.

Sadly with these Gujarati's in charge, Indian cuisine is being cut down to Besan (Gram Flour) & Sugar. YUCK!

ACDC8

Fri May 12, 2017 4:21 am

anshabhi
Topic Author

Fri May 12, 2017 5:46 am

if anyone cares to read the quoted article, 60% of all sales of fast foods chains in India are veg.
Losers who themselves are workless and keep whinning about every successful person obviously won't see Patanjali's annual turnover is already $1.6 billion, and it's doubling every year.

Leftist extremist (naxalites) are the biggest internal security threat to the nation, just saying.

tommy1808

Fri May 12, 2017 11:21 am

BawliBooch wrote:
unrave wrote:

Most Westerners are sadly unaware of the sheer variety in Indian cuisine.!

Most people are not aware of the sheer variety of any places cuisine unless they are a) really interested. That all reasons. Traveling there or living there does nothing without a). I know people living in Taiwan for over a decade without having a single genuine Taiwanese meal or even a piece of street food, and people from all over the world constantly expecting Germans eating Haxe and Kraut, with a lot of beer

I would be very grateful if we where known for "just" vegetarianism instead of a single dish.*

best regards
Thomas

*ok, there are some people that know we kick ass when it comes to bread

Redd

Fri May 12, 2017 11:52 am

B777LRF wrote:

Then be a man and go out and kill this animal, gut it and eat it raw like a proper caveman, not using any weapons but your own hands like a true carnivore...... I'll look for B777LRF in the obituaries :lol:

dtw2hyd

Fri May 12, 2017 2:23 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
Sadly with these Gujarati's in charge, Indian cuisine is being cut down to Besan (Gram Flour) & Sugar. YUCK!

They just own all beef exporters.

One issue with Indian carnivores, they turn into strict vegans on a dime, based on how planets are aligned. I have seen passengers who ordered special vegetarian meal wants regular meal with meat. It is very confusing to cabin crew.

blrsea

Fri May 12, 2017 2:41 pm

unrave wrote:
There was some survey of Indian dietary habits which concluded that more than 90% of Indians do consume meat, though the frequency of consumption is much lower than western nations. I suspect it is a question of affordability, and I firmly believe the per capita consumption will only go up as Indians get wealthier.

Only a fraction of the vegetarians that I know avoid meat by choice, out of concern for either the environment or the animals, while a large majority avoid meat because of vague religious reasons and I consider it my life's mission to show them the light.

The survey said overall in India the number of non-vegetarians is around 71%. In some states like Telangana, around 99% of people are non-vegetarians, whereas they are lowest in Rajasthan and Haryana.
At 99%, Telangana has maximum non-vegetarians in the country

'Vegetarian' Gujarat has 40% non-vegetarians

BawliBooch wrote:
A small minority of upper caste Brahmins and some Buddhists for sure. But the vast majority of population relishes having some kind of non-vegetarian food atleast once a week.

Thats a pure BS statement. There are many non-Brahmin castes who are vegetarians too. Lingayats in Karnataka (who form significant number in North Karnataka), some sects of Sikhs, Jains , and many other non-Brahmin castes in Rajasthan, Gujarat, UP, Punjab etc are vegetarians. The brahmin population is aroun 6% in the country, where as number of vegetarians is around four times that. People don't claim to be vegetarians because they can't afford it. Many Buddhists especially in NE are non-vegetarians! Dalai Lama is a non-vegetarian too :)

BawliBooch

Sat May 13, 2017 1:57 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Most people are not aware of the sheer variety of any places cuisine unless they are a) really interested.

Thats true tom! But I am just pointing out that Punjabi food has managed to ingratiate itself in Western countries to the extent that Indian cuisine=Punjabi food. Wish some chef out there would explore other Indian cuisine as well.

dtw2hyd wrote:
They just own all beef exporters.

And thats one example of the rampant hypocrisy. The BJP which goes around talking of "protecting cows" and lynching people for eating cow has atleast 3 MP's who own the biggest meat exporting factories in the country. Utterly shameless!

dtw2hyd wrote:
One issue with Indian carnivores, they turn into strict vegans on a dime, based on how planets are aligned. I have seen passengers who ordered special vegetarian meal wants regular meal with meat. It is very confusing to cabin crew.

Thats another! My own family relishes non-vegetarian food. Except on Tuesdays. Because meat is unholy on that day? We go through with it grudgingly because of "tradition". Stupid!

blrsea wrote:
Thats a pure BS statement. There are many non-Brahmin castes who are vegetarians too. Lingayats in Karnataka (who form significant number in North Karnataka), some sects of Sikhs, Jains , and many other non-Brahmin castes in Rajasthan, Gujarat, UP, Punjab etc are vegetarians. The brahmin population is aroun 6% in the country, where as number of vegetarians is around four times that. People don't claim to be vegetarians because they can't afford it. Many Buddhists especially in NE are non-vegetarians! Dalai Lama is a non-vegetarian too :)

All the Brahmin's I know eat meat. Including Beef. They couldn't be my friends otherwise. :)

Point brother, is that a majority of Indian's are non-vegetarians, and we will resist the forcible imposition of Brahminical "culture" on all of us. The "holy books" that tell us meat is bad for us need to be torn up and burnt in a Yagna. These veggier-than-thou tatta's need to be told to take a hike!

anshabhi wrote:
Leftist extremist (naxalites) are the biggest internal security threat to the nation, just saying.

And what do "Leftist extremist(naxalites)" have to do in a discussion on Vegan food chain? Unless you are suggesting that all meat consuming Indian's are "leftist extremists"? Then again, you are the same guy who called American's "White Christian Terrorists" in another thread.

Seems like this has become a habit with @anshabhi. I wonder how long Moderator's are going to tolerate this kind of blatant violation of forum rules because "he is just a kid"?

blrsea

Sat May 13, 2017 2:08 am

BawliBooch wrote:
Point brother, is that a majority of Indian's are non-vegetarians, and we will resist the forcible imposition of Brahminical "culture" on all of us. These veggier-than-thou tatta's need to be told to take a hike!

What is "Brahmanical" about it? Why bring caste into everything?:sarcastic: Jains were probably the first true vegetarians as even among brahmins, there are some who eat non-veg, like in W Bengal etc?? And as mentioned, even some sects of Sikhism abhor meat. The common thread among Jains, Lingayats etc is that they don't want to harm animals, not because they are "brahmanical" as many of these came from sects which tried to create a more equal society free of divisions. Trust a leftist to turn that to deepen divisions for their own benefit by turning it on its head!

BawliBooch

Sat May 13, 2017 2:17 am

blrsea wrote:
What is "Brahmanical" about it? Why bring caste into everything?

"Brahmanical" in this context is not a reference to caste but to tradition. Just like "Talibani" has nothing to do with Islam but is a reference to a certain culture that promotes violence.

We need to reject such Brahmanical idea's and adopt with time. Meat is good for us. The cheapest source of protein.

The RIGHT WING guru, "Veer" Savarkar himself said that Hindu's should eat more meat to strengthen themselves physically to fight the Muslims & Christians.

VD Savarkar wrote: Care for cows, do not worship them
If a fortified city of our Hindu nation is attacked and supplies are running out, do we wait endlessly for fresh supplies to be brought? Dedication to the nation makes it the duty of the leader to command the slaughter of cows and the use of their flesh as food. If we persist in worshipping the cow, the only option is for our soldiers to die of starvation and lose the city.

It is no exaggeration that the simple minded and foolish proposition that the cow is meant for worship has harmed the country. History shows that Hindu kingdoms have succumbed because of this belief. Kings have often lost battles because they would not kill cows. Muslims have used cows as shields, confident that Hindus would not harm the animals.

blrsea

Sat May 13, 2017 2:26 am

BawliBooch wrote:
blrsea wrote:
What is "Brahmanical" about it? Why bring caste into everything?

"Brahmanical" in this context is not a reference to caste but to tradition. Just like "Talibani" has nothing to do with Islam but is a reference to a certain culture that promotes violence.

We need to reject such Brahmanical idea's and adopt with time. Meat is good for us. The cheapest source of protein.

No, "Brahmanical" doesn't refer to tradition in this context, as literature uses it for a specific purpose. Its just your mischievous attempt to bring caste into everything and later to twist it when you know you are caught. Based on your history, I have no doubt you were just twisting words for your own purpose, and basically being ignorant of the vast Indian tradition not limited to hinduism.

No need to bring Savarkar or anyone else into it to create strawman arguments, for no one here in this thread is opposing eating meat, nor is anyone recommending veg/vegan.

The thread started with chances of success of vegan restaurant, and lets limit it to that, instead of creating strawman arguments and derailing it.

BawliBooch

Sat May 13, 2017 2:32 am

blrsea wrote:
No, "Brahmanical" doesn't refer to tradition in this context, as literature uses it for a specific purpose. Its just your mischievous attempt to bring caste into everything and later to twist it when you know you are caught. Based on your history, I have no doubt you were just twisting words for your own purpose, and basically being ignorant of the vast Indian tradition not limited to hinduism.

No need to bring Savarkar or anyone else into it to create strawman arguments, for no one here in this thread is opposing eating meat, nor is anyone recommending veg/vegan.

The thread started with chances of success of vegan restaurant, and lets limit it to that, instead of creating strawman arguments and derailing it.

I cant help you with your interpretations and sensitivities towards the use of the term "Brahmanical" - yes in context it means regressive, outdated, outmoded.

Majority of Indian's are meat eaters who resent the imposition of these outdated sanskars by a few on all of us. Please avoid creating strawman arguments to divert the attention from the core of the debate. Thank you.

DocLightning

Sun May 14, 2017 5:01 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
You don´t need chemicals to make stuff taste like meat,

All matter, including food, that you will touch in your life is baryonic matter. All baryonic matter is chemicals. In meat, there will be all 20 amino acids, each of which is a chemical. There will be nucleotides and deoxynucleotides and fatty acids and phospholipids and triglycerides and sterols and water. Yes, water is a chemical.

All food is made of chemicals.

B777LRF

Sun May 14, 2017 7:38 am

Redd wrote:
Then be a man and go out and kill this animal, gut it and eat it raw like a proper caveman, not using any weapons but your own hands like a true carnivore...... I'll look for B777LRF in the obituaries :lol:

Fair play Redd, but in this day and age man doesn't need to hunt. Just as we don't need to go back to shed and build ourselves a car; it's much easier, faster and cheaper to pop down the local dealer of your choice and pick the one you like the best.

Which is not to say that I don't go hunting, 'cause I do. And I do eat what I kill, albeit I'm taking advantage of evolution by using rifle, steel and gunpowder instead of bare hands for the killing.

There's nothing in my neck of the woods (pun intended) which is out to kill you. Biggest danger would be a testosterone filled stag, but we don't hunt them in the breeding season. I've yet to be mortified, or even felt slightly in danger, by a pheasant ;)

BobPatterson

Sun May 14, 2017 8:17 pm

B777LRF wrote:
Which is not to say that I don't go hunting, 'cause I do. And I do eat what I kill, albeit I'm taking advantage of evolution by using rifle, steel and gunpowder instead of bare hands for the killing.

There's nothing in my neck of the woods (pun intended) which is out to kill you. Biggest danger would be a testosterone filled stag, but we don't hunt them in the breeding season. I've yet to be mortified, or even felt slightly in danger, by a pheasant ;)

Your hunting equipment is not a product of evolution, properly understood, but is the result of human culture and invention (which may be thought of as bi-products of the biological evolution of the human brain).

In rare cases, people can die from Lyme disease spread by deer ticks. There are other pathogens and poisons lurking out there.

Kiwirob

Tue May 16, 2017 6:07 am

BawliBooch wrote:
unrave wrote:

Most Westerners are sadly unaware of the sheer variety in Indian cuisine. Most of what is sold as Indian food in the US/Europe is basically Punjabi food.

Examples by state:
1. Kashmir: Wazwan
2. Punjab: Chicken Tikka.
3. Rajasthan - Laal Maas with Dal Baati.
4. Madhya Pradesh - Achari Gosht, Bafla (similar to Baati), Rogan Josh.
5. UP - Kakori/Tunday/Pasanda Kababs,
6. Bihar - Litti-Chaap, Mutton Chaap, Pottaya Fish, Mustard Fish (avail in Delhi/Gurgaon - must try).
7. Bengal - One of the few states where Fish & Egg are not even considered non-vegetarian! :) Cant list them all. I have a huge soft-corner for Kosha Mangsho (very spicy goat meat curry).
8. Odisha - Ilisha Maacha Tarkari (ask for this at the Odia Bhavan Canteen in Delhi - awesomeness for $1!).
9.Andhra/Telengana : Hyderabadi Biryani, Vijayawada Rabbit curry.
10. Maharashtra : atleast 3 distinct cuisines from this state alone. Particularly like Malvani cuisine of the coast. Also Tambada Rassa (spicy goat curry).
11. Karnataka: Mangalore side cuisine with its Portuguese Christian influences intermixed with local cuisine is particularly awesome. And do I even have to say it: Coorgi Pork dishes! va va voom!
11. Tamil Nadu: Chettinad cuisine - simply awesome. Rest is an acquired taste. Air India usually serves ONLY Chettinad meals in the non-veg option on their flights to south india.
12. Kerala: Spicy Beef Fry with Brandy is a Malayalee specialty.

Where's the butter chicken and the vindaloo ;)

Flighty

Tue May 16, 2017 4:06 pm

The best part of veggie food is you can feed a person for like twelve cents worth of food.

If you can charge style conscious, affluent people $17.00 for a lunch that cost $0.12, you have a good business idea.

BobPatterson

Tue May 16, 2017 6:23 pm

Flighty wrote:
The best part of veggie food is you can feed a person for like twelve cents worth of food.

If you can charge style conscious, affluent people $17.00 for a lunch that cost $0.12, you have a good business idea.

A decent slice of tomato can cost 12¢.

BawliBooch

Wed May 17, 2017 1:27 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Where's the butter chicken and the vindaloo ;)

Butter Chicken is stereotypically Punjabi. :)

Add to the list bro.

dtw2hyd

Wed May 17, 2017 1:40 am

USDA Certified Organic vegetables are very expensive. Locally grown are little cheap. Whole Foods milked people for too long, now there are other stores.

BTW, there was an article in Australia(I think) asking millennials to cut down roasted avocados and lattes to own a home.

Fun observation: I saw Chipotle gift cards at Whole Foods. Made me think if Hep C doesn't get you buy the gift card and become king of john.

EA CO AS

Wed May 17, 2017 7:41 pm

Excellent. The perpetually-angry are an under-served market.

BobPatterson

Wed May 17, 2017 8:43 pm

EA CO AS wrote:

Did you mean perpetually hungry?

EA CO AS

Thu May 18, 2017 1:54 am

BobPatterson wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

Did you mean perpetually hungry?

That, too.

N867DA

Sat May 20, 2017 12:18 pm

As a vegetarian, this sounds great and I hope they do well. There are plenty of vegetarian restaurant chains in India that do OK so I'm sure if the food is good they'll be fine. This really isn't a political thing so I don't get why some folks are trying to make it one.