anshabhi
Topic Author
Posts: 1085
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:40 am

How Etihad manipulates the media

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:00 am

We have always heard about paid news. Now this is an example how it looks like:

"Pilot turns around plane to help elderly couple meet dying grandson"

So this happened in April 2016: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 79866.html

Surprisingly, this is back in news, an year later with dates changed to 30/31 March 2017 and including a quote from BBC!

News outlets from around the world have this:
India, Pakistan, New Zealand, UK, US etc.

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=etiha ... Fgw_1:1512

That's how you manage the media!!
Save your taste and innocent souls! http://www.chooseveg.com
 
coolian2
Posts: 2182
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:34 pm

Re: How Etihad manipulates the media

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:12 am

How do you know this wasn't some idiot on Reddit and the media was lazy?

Btw I think my dinner is chicken. Yuuum
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/CRJ-700/-900
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: How Etihad manipulates the media

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:52 am

anshabhi wrote:
We have always heard about paid news. Now this is an example how it looks like:

"Pilot turns around plane to help elderly couple meet dying grandson"

So this happened in April 2016: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 79866.html

Surprisingly, this is back in news, an year later with dates changed to 30/31 March 2017 and including a quote from BBC!

News outlets from around the world have this:
India, Pakistan, New Zealand, UK, US etc.

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=etiha ... Fgw_1:1512

That's how you manage the media!!


You owe Etihad an apology. Also, anyone who has viewed your click-bait posting here.

It is patently obvious that someone operating or working for a click-bait "news" aggregation website/site/blog did a typical piece of thievery by copying a "news item" that he/she thought was current. A simple error of failing to check the date of the piece being copied.

Within minutes or hours of this marvelous job of "reportage" (without credit to the original source) that news thief was copied by several other news thieves who had no warning that it was a year-old story.

There is not a shred of evidence that Etihad had anything to do with the recent spate of news thieving.

The title of this thread should be changed, or the thread deleted, and an apology issued to Etihad.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
anshabhi
Topic Author
Posts: 1085
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:40 am

Re: How Etihad manipulates the media

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:04 am

BobPatterson wrote:
anshabhi wrote:
We have always heard about paid news. Now this is an example how it looks like:

"Pilot turns around plane to help elderly couple meet dying grandson"

So this happened in April 2016: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 79866.html

Surprisingly, this is back in news, an year later with dates changed to 30/31 March 2017 and including a quote from BBC!

News outlets from around the world have this:
India, Pakistan, New Zealand, UK, US etc.

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=etiha ... Fgw_1:1512

That's how you manage the media!!


You owe Etihad an apology. Also, anyone who has viewed your click-bait posting here.

It is patently obvious that someone operating or working for a click-bait "news" aggregation website/site/blog did a typical piece of thievery by copying a "news item" that he/she thought was current. A simple error of failing to check the date of the piece being copied.

Within minutes or hours of this marvelous job of "reportage" (without credit to the original source) that news thief was copied by several other news thieves who had no warning that it was a year-old story.

There is not a shred of evidence that Etihad had anything to do with the recent spate of news thieving.

The title of this thread should be changed, or the thread deleted, and an apology issued to Etihad.


How do you know Etihad had no role to play here? Why don't the same news companies pick up any story about dozens of other airlines?

Another interesting thing is the first source, indiatimes.com reported it on 16th April. Almost 2.5 weeks after the stated date of incident of 30/31 March!

coolian2 wrote:

Btw I think my dinner is chicken. Yuuum

Don't worry. There are billions others like you. I want that to change!
Save your taste and innocent souls! http://www.chooseveg.com
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: How Etihad manipulates the media

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:29 am

anshabhi wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
anshabhi wrote:
We have always heard about paid news. Now this is an example how it looks like:

"Pilot turns around plane to help elderly couple meet dying grandson"

So this happened in April 2016: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 79866.html

Surprisingly, this is back in news, an year later with dates changed to 30/31 March 2017 and including a quote from BBC!

News outlets from around the world have this:
India, Pakistan, New Zealand, UK, US etc.

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=etiha ... Fgw_1:1512

That's how you manage the media!!


You owe Etihad an apology. Also, anyone who has viewed your click-bait posting here.

It is patently obvious that someone operating or working for a click-bait "news" aggregation website/site/blog did a typical piece of thievery by copying a "news item" that he/she thought was current. A simple error of failing to check the date of the piece being copied.

Within minutes or hours of this marvelous job of "reportage" (without credit to the original source) that news thief was copied by several other news thieves who had no warning that it was a year-old story.

There is not a shred of evidence that Etihad had anything to do with the recent spate of news thieving.

The title of this thread should be changed, or the thread deleted, and an apology issued to Etihad.


How do you know Etihad had no role to play here? Why don't the same news companies pick up any story about dozens of other airlines?

Another interesting thing is the first source, indiatimes.com reported it on 16th April. Almost 2.5 weeks after the stated date of incident of 30/31 March!


The original (2016) story appeared on April 12th. There is no mystery about there sometimes being time lapses between an event and a report of it.

I did not say that Etihad had no role to play here. I said there is no shred of evidence to permit you to make the claim you made.

If you have such evidence, then display it for all to see.

Otherwise, do the honorable thing and admit your mistake and apologize.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
seb146
Posts: 14900
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: How Etihad manipulates the media

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:04 am

If independent.co.uk carried the story back in 2016 and google.co.in carried this same story this week, how is it Etihad manipulating the media?
Patriotic and Proud Liberal
 
anshabhi
Topic Author
Posts: 1085
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:40 am

Re: How Etihad manipulates the media

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:39 am

BobPatterson wrote:

The original (2016) story appeared on April 12th. There is no mystery about there sometimes being time lapses between an event and a report of it.

I did not say that Etihad had no role to play here. I said there is no shred of evidence to permit you to make the claim you made.

If you have such evidence, then display it for all to see.

Otherwise, do the honorable thing and admit your mistake and apologize.


You don't have any proof either to prove me wrong. Neither would we be able to gather any proof on either side.

A story pops up again an year later, soon after the United fiasco.
This gives rise to many questions, and I am simply asking them. No need to feel abused for anyone!


seb146 wrote:
If independent.co.uk carried the story back in 2016 and google.co.in carried this same story this week, how is it Etihad manipulating the media?



A few Other media outlets reported it recently. Google only captured the new reports of this 1 year old incident.
Save your taste and innocent souls! http://www.chooseveg.com
 
stlgph
Posts: 9318
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: How Etihad manipulates the media

Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:00 am

There is not any *manipulation*.
It is the functionality sometimes of news aggregation sites.
The story was triggered into an active status because of its inclusion in a number of videos shared on sites such as Facebook in a series of videos such as "20 Stories Of Good News" etc. etc. and all that other crap housewives watch and makes them feel all excited on the inside.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 14271
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: How Etihad manipulates the media

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:04 am

anshabhi wrote:
You don't have any proof either to prove me wrong.


You raised the "issue" and yet offered nothing in the way of evidence to support your theory that Etihad is behind this. The onus is on you to prove it, not us to disprove it.

Until you can, I'll get back to eating my chicken. Beef tomorrow!

If you want to see examples of an airline manipulating the media, look no further than Ryanair!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
coolian2
Posts: 2182
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:34 pm

Re: How Etihad manipulates the media

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:18 am

scbriml wrote:
anshabhi wrote:
You don't have any proof either to prove me wrong.


You raised the "issue" and yet offered nothing in the way of evidence to support your theory that Etihad is behind this. The onus is on you to prove it, not us to disprove it.

Until you can, I'll get back to eating my chicken. Beef tomorrow!

If you want to see examples of an airline manipulating the media, look no further than Ryanair!

Changed my plans, had beef tonight. Still have my ham crossaint from lunch....
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/CRJ-700/-900
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 809
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: How Etihad manipulates the media

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:06 am

anshabhi wrote:
We have always heard about paid news. Now this is an example how it looks like:

"Pilot turns around plane to help elderly couple meet dying grandson"

So this happened in April 2016: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 79866.html

Surprisingly, this is back in news, an year later with dates changed to 30/31 March 2017 and including a quote from BBC!

News outlets from around the world have this:
India, Pakistan, New Zealand, UK, US etc.

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=etiha ... Fgw_1:1512

That's how you manage the media!!


You need to understand how news aggregators works. They capture trending news & post it even if the news is old. In this case, I'm pretty certain United's melt-dao-n (sorry, can't resist!) started the chain reaction which led to people sharing this news about Etihad just to say "Look, this is how an airline should be like". Thus it trends, and the aggregators pick it up & report it as if it happened this year.

Etihad didn't need to pay for this because if they did the telltale signs would be there.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 4141
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: How Etihad manipulates the media

Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:04 pm

I presume this showed up on Indian Media.

Indian journalists are well known to copy/paste, recycle and refurbish old articles. It appears they revisit same news at regular intervals like once every month, see if it can be rerun with no new information.

Or it could be their faulty system/process, if you open an article for edit and save, system picks up as new article
 
User avatar
pvjin
Posts: 3519
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: How Etihad manipulates the media

Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:23 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
I presume this showed up on Indian Media.

Indian journalists are well known to copy/paste, recycle and refurbish old articles. It appears they revisit same news at regular intervals like once every month, see if it can be rerun with no new information.


Then they are just like Western journalists.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 4141
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: How Etihad manipulates the media

Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:34 pm

pvjin wrote:
Then they are just like Western journalists.


There is a difference. When you copy paras from different irrelevant articles, you end up with an incoherent master piece. Readers are left to infer their own conclusions.

Also one more observation about Indian av journalists, while comparing they quote one in percentage,one in fixed value and one as delta
Hypothetical example of comparing number of flights to previous season.
Air India - 9% less flights
Indigo - 600 total flights
SpiceJet - 50 more flights.

You do the math
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: How Etihad manipulates the media

Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:28 pm

anshabhi wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:

The original (2016) story appeared on April 12th. There is no mystery about there sometimes being time lapses between an event and a report of it.

I did not say that Etihad had no role to play here. I said there is no shred of evidence to permit you to make the claim you made.

If you have such evidence, then display it for all to see.

Otherwise, do the honorable thing and admit your mistake and apologize.


You don't have any proof either to prove me wrong. Neither would we be able to gather any proof on either side.

A story pops up again an year later, soon after the United fiasco.
This gives rise to many questions, and I am simply asking them. No need to feel abused for anyone!

seb146 wrote:
If independent.co.uk carried the story back in 2016 and google.co.in carried this same story this week, how is it Etihad manipulating the media?


A few Other media outlets reported it recently. Google only captured the new reports of this 1 year old incident.


You fail to understand that YOU are responsible for YOUR actions.

YOU accused Etihad of manipulation of the news. You did this without any supporting evidence.

When you are called out for this behavior your defensive instinct it to accuse your accuser rather than adjusting your behavior and atone for it.

You can emulate Trump all you want. To me, you will be the Trump of India until you stop your nonsense on a.net.

Eating crow is not the same as eating meat.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alias1024, Calder, DTWorld, Dutchy, Ken777, pitbosflyer, red66mustang, RyanVHS and 5 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos