einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Self gloss: bought a new house

Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:18 pm

I did some serious adulting yesterday and signed a contract for my very first house. A lovely townhome in a new development. It was the last available model up for grabs though they will build some more in August, but seeing as how my current lease expires in June, this works out to my advantage. Aiming to close by late May, early June and be settled in by then.

Cue the empty cargo bays...
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

KLDC10

Re: Self gloss: bought a new house

Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:02 pm

Cargo bays may follow, but I'll be serious ;)
Congratulations on taking your first step on the property ladder!
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E190

BobPatterson

Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:07 pm

Congrats. May you and yours enjoy your new digs in good health.

After 55 years in my first house, I'm getting used to it. :-)
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

Okie

Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:53 pm

Congratulations !!!!!!
I will call ahead and have them clear you a path to Ikea.

I take it you decided not to move to Florida.

Okie

message generated by smoke signal from mobile device

Aesma

Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:35 pm

Congrats !

I'm hoping to do that this year too. I'm a bit worried about the financing, will rates go up till then ? I see that in the US they're already much higher than here, maybe that's usual.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:02 pm

Okie wrote:
Congratulations !!!!!!
I will call ahead and have them clear you a path to Ikea.

IKEA may get my business gradually. The living room needs furniture, plus now that I can poke holes in walls, I can finally begin to decorate to my liking. Gonna have to visit my nearest IKEA (about an hour away) and see firsthand what they have (yeah, there's internet, but nothing like seeing it in person).

Okie wrote:
I take it you decided not to move to Florida.

That is correct. I sat down with my bosses and they countered to the point where I know the other company was not able to offer more (and if they did, it would have broken protocols as it would have been paying me above market and/or promoting me while not being qualified for either).

Aesma wrote:
Congrats !

I'm hoping to do that this year too. I'm a bit worried about the financing, will rates go up till then ? I see that in the US they're already much higher than here, maybe that's usual.
Thanks. I decided to move in and try to lock a decent interest rate. I know the Fed has two more rate increases on the horizon this year alone. I had called earlier in the week to throw numbers and the lender said I'd be at 3.75%. I didn't pull the trigger immediately because I wasn't too sold on the model I had originally seen. However, yesterday I saw the next floor plan and when I spoke with the lender, she said I can lock in at 3.5%. While I was still hesitant, the numbers just look too good to pass up. I'd be paying the same on mortgage as I do with rent (oh, and no money down). I am planning to rent out the second bedroom in order to recover the money from closing costs, but for the most part, it shouldn't be too different than my current situation (except the place in mine and mine alone).

vrbarreto

Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:16 pm

Congratulations. I take it the government doesn't have anything like stamp duty owed to it? Just bought our first place on the edge of London and for just short of £400k you get about 90sq meters. Yes trips to Ikea.. Have fun and invest in a decent power driver.. Saves a lot of time.

bunumuring

Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:30 pm

Congrats mate!
It's a great feeling buying your first place but also a bit scary, eh?
As for IKEA... I love the place and most of the furniture in my house is from there, some heavily 'modified' though....
We could start a whole new IKEA thread lol....
Best of luck with the new place!
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:00 am

bunumuring wrote:
It's a great feeling buying your first place but also a bit scary, eh?

After I signed the paperwork and left, I felt just as I did when I bought my car: all I was thinking was "what in the world did I just do?!".

There's gonna be some serious hunkering down needed: at least all the appliances I could need will come included (by signing when I did, they threw in a washer and dryer combo). But I need to install curtains/drapes/blinds.

sccutler

Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:15 am

Congrats- it really is good to have your own place.

If there's an HOA (assumed yes), as much as it sucks, be active, because there are always people who think it is their job to tell everyone else what to do and how to do it, and they're always eager to spend your money in the process.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

EA CO AS

Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:31 am

Congratulations! Two important things:

1. Don't look at that line on your mortgage docs that tell you how much you'll have paid by the end of your mortgage. You'll want to throw up.

2. If you're thinking of getting anything at IKEA, go get yourself a good set of hex/allen wrenches at a hardware store; the ones they include are pure garbage.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

BobPatterson

Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:24 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
But I need to install curtains/drapes/blinds.

Ha, ha, ha. I hadn't thought of that in years.

Our first night in the new house (1962) as we were getting ready to go to bed, my wife screamed...."THE NEIGHBORS CAN SEE IN OUR WINDOWS!"

We had completely overlooked in our planning the need for shades and curtains. We probably had $100 to last until my next paycheck.

17 windows and sliding glass patio doors. Bank balance was down to $10 the next day.

Aaaah, the memories.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

Dutchy

Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:32 am

Congrats mate! Pics?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

vrbarreto

Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:20 am

BobPatterson wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
But I need to install curtains/drapes/blinds.

Ha, ha, ha. I hadn't thought of that in years.

Our first night in the new house (1962) as we were getting ready to go to bed, my wife screamed...."THE NEIGHBORS CAN SEE IN OUR WINDOWS!"

We had completely overlooked in our planning the need for shades and curtains. We probably had $100 to last until my next paycheck.

17 windows and sliding glass patio doors. Bank balance was down to $10 the next day.

Aaaah, the memories.

The price of fitted curtains was eye watering! £600 for 190cm x 180cm. We ended up buying the ready made that were a little bigger for only £80.

Nets weren't too bad at fitted for about £30 which was a bargain. A lot of the independent stores were better than ikea... who seem to have a drop of 3 metres for their curtains.. Who has ceiling that high?

Don't forget to wrangle the biggest new tv you can as this is the easiest time to justify that sort of purchase if you have another half...

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:07 am

Dutchy wrote:
Congrats mate! Pics?

I'll have pics available once I complete the paperwork and get the key, but for now, this is the best I can offer you.

The Milford

If you play with the floor plan, mine has the following:
1. Upper level: alternate plan (each bedroom has its bathroom)
2. Main level: powder room
3. Lower level: den with full bath

Dutchy

Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:31 am

Nice!
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Kiwirob

Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:36 am

EA CO AS wrote:
Congratulations! Two important things

2. If you're thinking of getting anything at IKEA, go get yourself a good set of hex/allen wrenches at a hardware store; the ones they include are pure garbage.

Or better yet don't buy anything from IKEA that you want to keep long term it's all shit that doesn't last. I hate with a passion kitset furniture.

If you do throw you money away on that junk glue as well as screw it together.

Flighty

Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:17 pm

Welcome to complacency and stagnation taking over your life! As I know from experience.... :D

Ken777

Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:43 pm

Congrats on the new home! I can clearly remember buying ours in '70. We had a VA loan so nothing down and no closing costs. Light bulbs and toilet paper was all that was needed.

While IKEA may have a bad reputation for some it does provide some furniture at a low cost. We renovated our son's kitchen with IKEA cabinets and they perform better than the local work done on our kitchen reface. Both have the soft close parts (a dream) and IKEA uses the same company as our contractor got from a local distributor. Same quality parts.

IKEA's primary position is that they do not ship air. Flat packs save money for the company.

At the same time, there are a lot of different stores to walk through. And sometimes garage sales.

Have a great time getting ready and an even better time moving in!

Some furniture can be cheap, but will do the job for some time - until you are ready to upgrade.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:27 pm

Ken777 wrote:
Some furniture can be cheap, but will do the job for some time - until you are ready to upgrade.

Yep. If it gets the job done while I save for a true overhaul, I'll take it. Don't want an empty space either. So far, only the family room will get the IKEA treatment. Eventually, the dining room could also be replaced.

mham001

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:33 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

Not a bad idea. A thin bead of cheap, yellow wood glue (Titebond II or III) is stronger than most wood.

DocLightning

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:03 pm

A cargo bay full of all the people and all the air molecules who care. ;)
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Kiwirob

Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:00 pm

mham001 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Not a bad idea. A thin bead of cheap, yellow wood glue (Titebond II or III) is stronger than most wood.

It is a good idea, it works as well. I don't get why flatpack furniture makers don't advise people to glue and screw.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:05 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
mham001 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

It is a good idea, it works as well. I don't get why flatpack furniture makers don't advise people to glue and screw.

Probably to be able to disassemble for easier moving. When I moved from MO to MD, the first thing the movers saw was the IKEA couch that I have. They hated IKEA furniture because it meant having to disassemble it prior to moving. However, had I left it together through glue, I would not have the couch today. Just how do you move a sectional through a door?

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:06 pm

DocLightning wrote:

A cargo bay full of all the people and all the air molecules who care. ;)

You do realize you've shown a picture of Atlantis...Atlantis is also a LOST city...probably playing the game, but that's for a separate thread.

DLFREEBIRD

Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:14 pm

nice digs. congrats. where were all you posters 4 months ago when i helped my boss decorate his new home with IKEA furniture. His couch and two chairs have missing screws. though i must say his house looks great if i had to do it again, i think i would go a step up from IKEA.

i think my biggest mistake was decorating his home with white shaggy dog rugs, they look great but the stains just keep popping up.