vrbarreto
Topic Author

Buying a second hand car today

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:35 am

Hello good people of airliners.net

On my way to a car supermarket to have a look at a few cars and was hoping to elicit some opinions

Shortlist is

Oldish bmw 5 series
Newish Peugeot 508
Newish vw passat
Newish Skoda superb

Need something mainly for motorway and the annual trip from the UK to Slovakia and back.

Have decided on auto gearbox and diesel but was hoping for a few opinions.

I quite like the pug and have had a 307 and a 3 series in the past and like them both.

Decisions.. Decisions..

Airstud

Re: Buying a second hand car today

Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:15 am

Ever had a VW?

I have not, but I hear something breaks on them every 15 minutes :boggled:
Pancakes are delicious.

Channex757

Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:48 am

Skoda. Either the Superb or the Octavia, which is larger inside than you might think.

They seem to have all the best bits of VW Group cars inside them at the moment.

Aesma

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:11 am

I find the VWs boring and the Skodas are worst in that regard.

Personally I would take the BMW because it's RWD but that's just me, I would look at the cost of ownership versus the 508 though.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Dutchy

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:44 am

French diesels seems to be quite good. But I don't like how they ride. I like BMW in that respect, but that is personal :D

Skoda seems to be the sensible choice here. They are VW's, just with a different exterieur.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Redd

Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:38 pm

Airstud wrote:
Ever had a VW?

I've been driving a Golf TDI for 3 years now, haven't had to do anything else but change the oil, some filters and tyres. It's the most reliable car I've ever had. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another VW.

Tugger

Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:06 pm

I'd go for the newish VW in general but would need to know the actual year so I could review and see if they are any problem that particular year. The year is always important for any used car because of things that were changed/found (and then corrected).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Ken777

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:00 pm

Airstud wrote:
Ever had a VW?

My daughter has had a Golf for 4 years with not a Dollar spent on repairs. Her husband has a Golf Wagon for 2 years with the same performance. No car is perfect, but the VWs seem to perform very well.

Saw my first Sodka in years on a trip with the wife to Paris, and had a couple as taxis. They looked impressive to me and the size would depend on your travel needs.

BMW's can be great for driving, but are pretty sorry on repairs and maintenance IMO. I had a 2002 in '68 - the first year they imported the brand. Great driving, but the cooling system was totally incompetent for the US market. I was like 3rd world engineering and the company was arrogant when asked about a possible fix. Almost 50 years since my misery but I'll never spend another cent on the brand, nor will I ever recommend their cars.

AirPacific747

Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:27 am

I agree that VW is too boring. Go for the BMW.

mham001

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:22 am

I was wondering about the diesel part. My 'diesel' news feed is full of "Europe Dumping Diesel" stories, with some cities preparing to ban them entirely. Could be a good time for deal though.

Kiwirob

Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:26 am

Ken777 wrote:
Airstud wrote:
Ever had a VW?

BMW's can be great for driving, but are pretty sorry on repairs and maintenance IMO. I had a 2002 in '68 - the first year they imported the brand. Great driving, but the cooling system was totally incompetent for the US market. I was like 3rd world engineering and the company was arrogant when asked about a possible fix. Almost 50 years since my misery but I'll never spend another cent on the brand, nor will I ever recommend their cars.

Yip and I'm sure BMW has gotten there act together since your 2002 back in the dark ages, it's hardly relevant to today's BMW products.

vrbarreto
Topic Author

Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:39 pm

Well... Finally went for a few years old Peugeot 508 Allure SW with the HUD, moon roof, cameras and all the options on it.. Thanks for the advice... Would have gone for a beeamer but nothing in my price range.

Ken777

Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:46 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

Yip and I'm sure BMW has gotten there act together since your 2002 back in the dark ages, it's hardly relevant to today's BMW products.

"68 wasn't really in the dark ages. NASA was about to land a man on the moon, but they had sent their first mission to the moon - just no landing.

The Navy had established "Nuclear Task Force One" with 3 nuclear powered surface ships, including the Enterprise, Long Beach and Bainbridge.

In the auto world cars sold in the US you ld easily be delivered with an air conditioner (excluding BMWs) without over heating and when you had a problem with the new cars the dealers were fast to take care of you. It was BMW's arrogance in their treatment of their customers that turned me off and that has nothing to do with being in the dark ages. Sort of like VW and their cheating with their "clean" cars.