propilot83
Topic Author

Sign the Petition for California Car Tax

Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:00 am

For those who live in California, the damn democrats passed legislation to raise the DMV car registration tax the next time you have to pay your registration and also the gas tax is going up $0.12 a gallon in November or earlier. The damn Governor Jerry Brown said that they will raise $5 billion a year or $52 billion in ten years to pay for road maintenance. But this is a lie as usual, they steal the money for other non significant uses and take money from the General Fund to pay for pensions and stuff. So go to Stopthecartax.org to sign the petition and spread the word folks, otherwise we have to pay more for DMV registration and gas taxes.

einsteinboricua

Re: Sign the Petition for California Car Tax

Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:50 pm

Or you can do like we're usually told and move to a state that's cheaper. I hear Oklahoma and Kansas are the bomb.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Tugger

Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:03 pm

Two things I'll support: One the petition and Two the effort starting in Fullerton to recall freshman Dem Josh Newman and remove the super majority.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

cjg225

Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:57 pm

I am all for gas tax increases if the revenue generated is restricted to actual transportation infrastructure projects.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

zckls04

Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:37 pm

The roads need to be fixed. I'm fed up with driving through potholes.
Four Granavox Turbines!

BobPatterson

Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:44 pm

propilot83 wrote:
For those who live in California, the damn democrats passed legislation to raise the DMV car registration tax the next time you have to pay your registration and also the gas tax is going up $0.12 a gallon in November or earlier. The damn Governor Jerry Brown said that they will raise $5 billion a year or $52 billion in ten years to pay for road maintenance. But this is a lie as usual, they steal the money for other non significant uses and take money from the General Fund to pay for pensions and stuff. So go to Stopthecartax.org to sign the petition and spread the word folks, otherwise we have to pay more for DMV registration and gas taxes.

What's the annual auto registration tax/fee now?
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

ltbewr

Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:34 pm

New Jersey has no 'car tax' and registration for most is pretty cheap. I have a 2014 Focus and only pay $46/year for registration. Of course, we get wacked by some of the highest car insurance rated in the USA, especially in the Northern part of the state and until last November we paid about the lowest per gallon gas tax, but since them we pay the 7th highest per gal gas tax.

DfwRevolution

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:30 pm

zckls04 wrote:
The roads need to be fixed. I'm fed up with driving through potholes.

So why can't the state that already has more tax revenue than any other fix its potholes?

Ken777

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:08 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Or you can do like we're usually told and move to a state that's cheaper. I hear Oklahoma and Kansas are the bomb.

Oklahoma is normally at the bottom of state rankings in education and health, and new roads are often "turnpikes" so you can pay by the mile. The dumb broad in the governors' mansion is kissing the bottoms of the wealthy, leaving it to the middle class (and lower) to pay the price.

Enjoy California - there are a lot of places that are far worse.

910A

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:46 pm

American Petroleum Institute states that Pennsylvania drivers pay the most in gas taxes (state and federal) at 76 cents per gallon, California is currently 56 cents per gallon which is the 7th highest in the country. Consider it a user fee, if you want decent roads and numerous roads are in need of fixing like US 101 south of Crescent City for example. By law, California gas tax can only be used for transportation projects, just because breitbart states the tax is going to other needs, doesn't make it so. Also it's the first gas tax increase in 23 years. About $34 billion of the first $52 billion would go to repairing roads, bridges, highways and culverts, with most of the money split 50-50 between state and local projects.

Another $7 billion over the first decade would go to mass transit projects. Other money would fund improvements to trade corridors, including the roads serving the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, and would go toward reducing congestion on the most clogged commuter routes.

Vehicle registration fees are going to increase: ranging from $25 for cars valued at under $5,000 to $175 for cars worth $60,000 or more. Again another user fee, you have to pay to keep your DMV offices open, and help pay for your Highway Patrolmen.

Ken777 wrote:

Ken, you got that right.

NIKV69

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:47 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

Vegas much closer and more jobs
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

mham001

Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:44 am

910A wrote:
American Petroleum Institute states that Pennsylvania drivers pay the most in gas taxes (state and federal) at 76 cents per gallon, California is currently 56 cents per gallon which is the 7th highest in the country. Consider it a user fee, if you want decent roads and numerous roads are in need of fixing like US 101 south of Crescent City for example. By law, California gas tax can only be used for transportation projects, just because breitbart states the tax is going to other needs, doesn't make it so. Also it's the first gas tax increase in 23 years. About $34 billion of the first $52 billion would go to repairing roads, bridges, highways and culverts, with most of the money split 50-50 between state and local projects.

That does not include 2.25% sales tax and when this new tax is added, we will be very, very close to, if not, #1. While our roads, like our schools, consistently rank among the bottom in quality. Interestingly, in 2010, the CA legislature actually lowered the sales tax and raised the excise tax. This allowed them to legally steal that money for the general fund. It was never returned. Smoke and mirrors.

910A wrote:
By law, California gas tax can only be used for transportation projects, just because breitbart states the tax is going to other needs, doesn't make it so.

I don't know what Breitbart says, but apparently it is was not as incorrect as your statement.

"Most gas tax money is earmarked for transportation. The state has been diverting $100 million of the $5 billion raised annually to the general fund, according to the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association, along with $1 billion in annual truck weight fees to pay debt on general obligation bonds.

When voters approved $20 billion in transportation bonds in 2006, those bonds were to be repaid from the general fund, but state officials decided to use the truck fees to pay them off, freeing up general fund money for other purposes." http://www.mercurynews.com/2015/06/02/roadshow-how-much-gas-tax-money-goes-to-california-roads/

910A wrote:
Vehicle registration fees are going to increase: ranging from $25 for cars valued at under $5,000 to $175 for cars worth $60,000 or more. Again another user fee, you have to pay to keep your DMV offices open, and help pay for your Highway Patrolmen.

That is not even close to a representation of actual costs, only increases. Smoke and mirror. Fails to mention the current registration fee ($46), licensing fee (.65% of value), CHP fee ($24) and a host of other smaller and local municipality fees and taxes. For example, my 13 year old truck was $175 last year. My 5 year old electric Leaf, you know, the one they portray as using the roads for free? $208. Soon to be $308.

Ken777 wrote:

Actually Ken, our schools do not rank much above the schools in any of the other 5 bottom states, nor do the roads. I would not be so quick to assume your state is inferior, Some Californians just prefer to make it seem so.

dc10lover

Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:45 am

They ALWAYS waste & squander taxes and have nothing to show, then v they as for more money ( taxes ).
Ever Wish You Can Go Back In Time And Live In An Earlier Era Of Aviation?

dc10lover

Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:45 am

By the way, got potholes?
Ever Wish You Can Go Back In Time And Live In An Earlier Era Of Aviation?

Flighty

Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:51 pm

The healthiest thing for any organization is cuts, until the actual customers demand more. As a baseline, each year there should be a cost cut.

propilot83
Topic Author

Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:59 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
propilot83 wrote:

What's the annual auto registration tax/fee now?

It depends on your make, year, and model of car.

lugie

Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:24 pm

The gas prices in the US are ridiculously low from an outsider's perspective: According to a quick google search, the current US average price is 2.42$ per gallon (CA average 3.06$).

In Germany we pay about 1.35€ per liter currently, which is about 1.44$.
However a liter is just about a quarter gallon so our gallon prices would be somewhere around 5.45$. And that is with the rather low gas prices that we have since mid-2016.
Back in 2015 and before it wasn't too unusual to pay prices that'd translate to somewhere around 7.10$ and above per gallon.

So if the profits from this tax are to be used for infrastructure improvements and better yet, public transit projects, I have a really hard time understanding why people are getting their panties in a bunch over such a minor change. You could slap an additional 20% tax on gas and Europeans would still envy those prices.
Now, I'm in no way intending to say she is a lady solely interested in you for her own monetary gain, I just fail to observe her accompanying gentlemen of lesser fortune. - Kanye West