opethfan

Re: Trump considering options for Syria retaliation!

Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:33 am

pylon101 wrote:
I should admit. Obama was smart when sent the decision to be made to the Congress.
A sort of machiavellian politics.
I have no idea what Trump is going to do. He is under pressure of neocons.
A U.N. investigation would be appropriate under the circumstances.
Sorry, I don't buy the version that Assad used sarin. I see no logic here.
Last week Trump and Haley (where do they get dumb U.N. ambassadors?) said Assad might stay.
And right after - this chemical attack? It doesn't match. But it does match the neocon agenda.

A solid assessment with which I'm inclined to agree. Something is definitely fishy, and lots more is going on behind the scenes.

Aesma

Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:19 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
Trump's not golfing this weekend, but that's only because Xi Jinping hates golf.
https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/ ... 9643879425

Actually golfing being a sign of wealth, a Chinese leader can't be seen partaking.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

tommy1808

Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:30 am

mad99 wrote:
only four dead, almost none

Well, you can expect the facility to be largely evacuated with Putin in on the "We are no Russian Spies" diversion...

best regards
Thomas
Crooked Donald Trump an his team are extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information. Not fit! #muchworsethanclinton

mad99

Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:48 am

EA CO AS

Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:51 am

mad99 wrote:
elect a clown
expect a circus

only four dead, almost none

So, were you hoping for a higher body count? :scratchchin:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Nicoeddf

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:11 am

Quite amusing really, if it weren't all so sad.

So for two years mass murdering in a country with no real good guys is going on with the worlds deadliest weapon: Small Arms.
Then suddenly a gas attack comes and whoooosh, the world goes into moral "mass murder, OMG" mode.

Ridiculous. And for all those wishing that 'murican military power has put anyone into any place: China couldn't care less. They know that firing missiles on a country nobody really seems to care about is something different than bombing North Korea in their backyard.
And Russia? So the workload on the Russian Air Force just rose a tad - they would have been by far the more effective variabel in the conflict anyway.

So, all in all, symbolic, expensive gag. Nothing that will change anything.
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god

tommy1808

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:14 am

EA CO AS wrote:
So, were you hoping for a higher body count? :scratchchin:

reducing the war fighting capability of a hostile nation usually involves killing their troops. If you fail in that, you are also likely to have failed destroying their equipment.

Since they told the Russians before hand, this was only a mulitmillion US$ PR Campaign.

According to Davis, the Pentagon spokesman, Russian forces were notified in advance of the strike using an established “deconfliction line.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mil ... e57cc0cb40?

best regards
Thomas
Crooked Donald Trump an his team are extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information. Not fit! #muchworsethanclinton

tommy1808

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:18 am

Nicoeddf wrote:
Then suddenly a gas attack comes and whoooosh, the world goes into moral "mass murder, OMG" mode..

Wasn´t the first gas strike by the regime. ...

Just last time the Republican side was totally against doing something about it...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rep ... a355d?tjb&

best regards
Thomas

Nicoeddf

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:25 am

tommy1808 wrote:

Wasn´t the first gas strike by the regime. ...

I know I know...just pointing out the hypocrisy. As if it weren't mass murder since two years already with, I say it again, worlds real WMD. That is Small Arms.

And I fully agree with your PR Notion. That's what it is. Make the US feel great and powerful again.
from the altar of god

Aesma

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:29 am

Bombings happen every day. Is a bomb a small arm ? What about a barrel of powder ?

I'm fine with the Syrian Air Force being grounded. No need to kill anybody, destroying airfields, airplanes and helos is enough.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

DLFREEBIRD

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:32 am

Ken777 wrote:
P1aneMad wrote:

That would only be needed if Trump decides to invade Syria Bush style and go for "nation building" and what not. Hopefully he has more sense than that.
No fundamental changes in economic policy are required in order to pay for a few salvos of Tomahawks.

I believe that we are get out for just the price of 59 Tomahawks. The miltary needs to review the various weapon systems, ammunition level needed, training requirements need as well as ongoing maintenance.

There will also need to be expanding recruitment and training of personnel because Trump is moving fast to two ocean conflicts

so what's Trump's long term objective? Our president just made a 37 million dollar statement with 50 missiles, but to who exactly? Russia, Iran or Assad?

How does this help end the war and stabilize the region? Does this mean Trump now supporting the Kurds? who btw are now threatening the stability of Turkey.
So what is Trump trying to do? start another refugee crisis in Turkey? Inquiring minds want to know, just how stupid our president is.

tommy1808

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:41 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
Russia, Iran or Assad? .

To the US public alone "See, i am not in bed with Russia" .... that is all.

best regards
Thomas

Nicoeddf

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:53 am

Aesma wrote:
Bombings happen every day. Is a bomb a small arm ? What about a barrel of powder ?

I'm fine with the Syrian Air Force being grounded. No need to kill anybody, destroying airfields, airplanes and helos is enough.

Then you are actually making my point. So after two years of mass murdering war with small arms, and yes, bombings, thousands and thousands of victims a gas attack is suddenly crossing the line? Wasn't the line crossed thousands and thousands of dead people ago? But then was no need to disable the air force - now is?

Hypocrisy it is from all nations and stakeholders involved. And a giant PR game for the American taxpayer.
from the altar of god

pvjin

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:56 am

Trump should keep his fingers out of Syria, no matter what you do there's no way to win as Iraq and Libya have shown us.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

scbriml

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:03 am

pvjin wrote:
Trump should keep his fingers out of Syria, no matter what you do there's no way to win as Iraq and Libya have shown us.

But it's OK for Putin to keep his fingers, hands, arms and feet in there? :rotfl:

Assad now knows that his buddy Putin can do nothing to stop America giving him a bloody nose any time they want. Putin can do nothing about it.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Kiwirob

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:21 am

pylon101 wrote:
So between 50 and 70 Tomahawks to Shayrat airbase. Seems like a one-time action.
Let us figure out where the vessels were, where the airbase and if any S-300 were stationed there.

Are a few dead Syrians really work expending about 100m USD worth of missiles?

This is going to end up like Iraq but worse.

ltbewr

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:43 am

pvjin wrote:

I rarely agree with Pvijn, but I do agree with him on this point.
I have no respect for Trump as President. This missile attack is dead wrong. Yes, I am appalled by the use of chemical weapons but such actions such as this missile attack will only make things worse. Destroy Assad's government and you end up with an even worse civil war, put Israel at greater risk and make the USA even more of a target for a major terror attack. Trump was tanking in his support to some of the worst levels ever for a President, his attempts to change domestic USA policy were failing or needed a distraction, so a military action was done. It also comes when he is hosting China's leader in the USA so maybe a bit of a show over North Korea issues and China's aggressiveness for territory. Maybe he needed to show he wasn't a puppet to Putin. Perhaps too it was a message to ISIS to let them know that we will take a more aggressive policy and war vs. them. Now how many millions more will migrate from the region to Europe already struggling to deal with the political fallout from a worsening war in Syria and the region. I dread about what Trump will do next.

tommy1808

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:49 am

Nicoeddf wrote:
Hypocrisy it is from all nations and stakeholders involved. And a giant PR game for the American taxpayer.

That is the "Problem" with a scandal free president like Obama. No reason to pull such PR stunts....

This attack is almost an admission of guilt I'd say...

Best regards
Thomas

pylon101

Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:19 pm

I think all this "performance" is more related to domestic politics.
Today is a big day. The U.S. Senate is supposed to vote for Gorsuch as a Supreme Court Judge.
Republicans have broken the decades-long tradition of filibuster. They ended the debate with simple majority decision 51:49.
For the domestic agenda, the approval of Gorsuch is a huge thing.
The only branch of power which is not dysfunctional - the Supreme Court - was split 4-4 since Judge Scalia's death.

The action in Syria created a much better situation for voting in the Senate.
Nobody cares of the truth or Syria.
Trump's supporters are depressed. Liberals are exalted.
D.C. politics in its best. Nothing new.
I am on EK 231/232. The rest is just jet lag.

zkojq

Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:23 pm

Personally, I would like to congratulate Trump on finally getting something right - was bound to happen at some point! The exact reasons why such actions were undertaken are for sure debateable, but I like to think that the justification was that the use of WMDs will not be tolerated, especially against civilians. I wonder how far in advance the Russians were notified.

Infact the president actually made two good decisions in the same day (who would have thought!) and has announced additional humanitarian support for Jordan to deal with the refugee crisis.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 1377117185

Russia's government has really started trolling everyone. After the Syrian Government does a gas attack; not a word. When the US retaliates against the use of WMDs; Russia calls for a security council meeting. On the other hand, its great to see that the Russian Government suddenly cares about International Law!

U.S. air strikes launched against the regime of Bashar al-Assad on Thursday were “a clear act of aggression against a sovereign Syria,” the Russian foreign ministry said in a statement Friday.

The ministry called for an urgent U.N. Security Council meeting, and said it has suspended a flight safety memorandum that prevents conflict between Russian and U.S. forces.

Russian President Vladimir Putin believes the strikes violate “the norms of international law, and under a trumped-up pretext at that,” said Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov, TASS reported.

http://www.politico.eu/article/putin-us ... ssia-ties/

salttee wrote:
mham001 wrote:
Support (and don't abandon) the Kurds killing ISIS and that's all.

That of course will drive Turkey into the arms of Russia, and that's the optimistic scenario, it also might drive Erdogan to the Islamists instead.

....Erdogan already supports the islamists. He's only too happy for them to waltz across the border if it means that they'll fight the YPG and destroy Rojava.

scbriml wrote:
Maybe because he's emboldened by a combination of two things -
1) nothing was really done about it the last time he used them
2) he now his buddy Putin backing him up whatever he does

1) Last time he used them the West took nearly all of his chemical weapons off him. It's a shame that he managed to hide some.
2) Very true.

scbriml wrote:
As for the ludicrous Russian excuses... :rotfl:

Indeed. They're hilariously pathetic.

Ken777 wrote:
I don't see Trump putting boots on the ground, nor would he want to have fighter pilots captured. That leaves cruise missiles to deliver surgical strikes and that is where I believe he will go.

After giving Obama hell during the campaign I don't believe that he will "pull an Obama" and not respond at all.

Folks, who would have thought that geopolitics could be so complicated? :rotfl:

salttee wrote:
I don't think the GOP has learned much of anything from Iraq (or Vietnam) they want to double down and go to war with Iran.

:checkmark:

MaverickM11 wrote:
In republicans-are-the-biggest-hypocrites-ever episode #1,982,519,823:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/201 ... 100153944/

The irony of those tweets is for sure entertaining.

MaverickM11 wrote:
And who could forget Trump's butt plug Sean Hannity? Trump's not golfing this weekend, but that's only because Xi Jinping hates golf.
https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/ ... 9643879425

So that would be Trump's first Golf-free weekend as president, I guess? :rotfl:

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
Let me guess he ordered the strikes after consulting with his daughter since they both know more than the generals..

I disagree entirely. I suspect that all of this was meticulously planned by Mattis (literally the only Trump cabinet member who has his head screwed on) and that Trump just gave one of Mattis's options the ok.

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
How does this help end the war and stabilize the region?

It makes it clear to Assad that using any of his remaining WMDs will be result in significant retaliation.

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
Does this mean Trump now supporting the Kurds? who btw are now threatening the stability of Turkey.

The only people threatening the stability of Turkey are 1) Erdoğan and his quest to turn Turkey into an Islamic Totalitarian Caliphate and 2) Islamic extremists whom Erdoğan is only too happy to get into bed with if it means eradicating the Kurds in Rojava.

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
Inquiring minds want to know, just how stupid our president is

Incredibly; of this there is no doubt. However if you keep making decisions, statistically speaking you're going to get one right once in a while.

tommy1808 wrote:
To the US public alone "See, i am not in bed with Russia" .... that is all.

A valid point. :rotfl:

Kiwirob wrote:
This is going to end up like Iraq but worse.

Trump's a dummy, but I think he's got enough brain cells to figure out that putting troops on the ground won't end very well.
First to fly the 787-9 (ZK-NZE, NZ103, 2014-10-09)

mad99

Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:45 pm

WMD are back!
on a side note, its funny how almost every news site uses the worst pics of Trump

DiamondFlyer

Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:16 pm

Nicoeddf wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Then you are actually making my point. So after two years of mass murdering war with small arms, and yes, bombings, thousands and thousands of victims a gas attack is suddenly crossing the line? Wasn't the line crossed thousands and thousands of dead people ago? But then was no need to disable the air force - now is?

The line was crossed years ago, when Obama made a red line, then let Assad cross it and do nothing...
From my cold, dead hands

casinterest

Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:52 pm

I keep playing that scene from "The American President" in my head where Michael Douglas's character talks about the poor janitor and a measured response with Martin Sheen.
59 cruise missles( I am guessing one or more had issues).
The Russians were warned.
the Syrians were warned
Parts and Pieces were damaged, but did we get the right parts and pieces? The chemicals would hopefully have been taken out, but I would think Napalm, or something else would be used on a site known to have Chemical weapons stored.

The saber rattling from Syria and Russia seems to indicate that we did not.

Time will tell, and actions will speak louder than words, but the Syria situation may be getting worse and not better.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

NoTime

Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:57 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
pylon101 wrote:
So between 50 and 70 Tomahawks to Shayrat airbase. Seems like a one-time action.
Let us figure out where the vessels were, where the airbase and if any S-300 were stationed there.

Are a few dead Syrians really work expending about 100m USD worth of missiles?

The strike was apparently about preventing Syria from repeating the chemical attack from earlier in the week, and re-establishing (and enforcing) the "red line." Reports indicate that the targeted airbase was "almost completely destroyed" and that numerous aircraft were destroyed, along with lots of the infrastructure and support equipment. I imagine Assad couldn't care less about losing men, but he certainly cares about losing equipment (especially multi million dollar aircraft).

So, as opposed to using million dollar missiles and bombs to kill individual terrorists, I would say that this particular strike was actually a much better return on our investment.
"Anyone who doesn't accept the results of an election is a danger to democracy"- Hillary Clinton

pylon101

Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:05 pm

According to Russian MOD, 23 missiles have reached the destination.
4 aircraft in repairs were destroyed. The runway is intact.
I don't know what business can be sustainable with this ROI.

WIederling

Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:09 pm

scbriml wrote:
pylon101 wrote:
And why would have Assad used chemical weapon, I am wondering?

Maybe because he's emboldened by a combination of two things -
1) nothing was really done about it the last time he used them
2) he now his buddy Putin backing him up whatever he does
It doesn't take much to work it out.

Syrian airforce bombed some rebel locations
that stored chemical/biolgical warfare stuff.
Best explanation I can think of.

What was used up to now fit better to rebel sources than the Syrian state..
Murphy is an optimist

NoTime

Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:11 pm

pylon101 wrote:
According to Russian MOD, 23 missiles have reached the destination.
4 aircraft in repairs were destroyed. The runway is intact.
I don't know what business can be sustainable with this ROI.

Ahh, yes, the Russian MoD is the first place I would go for accurate info...
"Anyone who doesn't accept the results of an election is a danger to democracy"- Hillary Clinton

tu204

Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:27 pm

scbriml wrote:
pvjin wrote:

But it's OK for Putin to keep his fingers, hands, arms and feet in there? :rotfl:

Assad now knows that his buddy Putin can do nothing to stop America giving him a bloody nose any time they want. Putin can do nothing about it.

Sorry, I don't follow you.

How did America give Putin/Russia a bloody nose?

I mean Russia was warned before the attack took place, pretty sure the Syrians were forwarded the message and then a 60+ million USD fireshow occured which killed 4 enemy soldiers. :roll:

Maybe the American taxpayers just got a bloody nose from a PR stunt aimed at them. Sure wasn't Russia or Putin...
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

seb146

Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:30 pm

mad99 wrote:
WMD are back!
on a side note, its funny how almost every news site uses the worst pics of Trump

Is there a good picture of him?

On topic:

Some outlets are reporting that Syria was warned ahead of the attack and assets were moved before the missiles struck. Sounds fishy to me. Also, with his low approval raitings, he needs a war to win to boost them. He is desperate.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/07/politics/ ... st-tweets/
http://ktla.com/2017/04/06/trump-repeat ... a-in-2013/
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

pylon101

Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:42 pm

Correction: six MIG-23 were destroyed.
Here MOD video made from drone:
https://www.rt.com/news/383912-russia-m ... a-airbase/

727LOVER

Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:11 pm

If he cares so much about Syrian babies...will he allow Syrian refugees into the US?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Hillis

Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:40 pm

The U.S. policy of not allowing Syrian refugees into the U.S. is biting us in the ass today. Imagine how many COULD have been saved if the U.S. allowed these war refugees into the nation, as we've done so many times in our past?

45 says this is an affront to humanity, and he's right. But his policy of denying war refugees in is another affront to humanity. Let the refugeesd in. Children should never be subjected to such horrors.
B737-100, B737-200, B737-300, B737-500, B737-700, B737-800, B737-900, B727, B-707 DC-10, MD-11, 763, 764, 777, 757-200, 757-300, A-319, A-320, A-321, A-300, ERJ-145, ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190, CRJ-100, CRJ-200, DASH-2, DASH-3, DASH-8, BAE-146

1g

Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:02 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:

how is this putting them in their place? I see this as being incredibly reckless.

No use of chemical attacks should be left unanswered. Turn a blind eye to this and that would be the green light for Assad and Putin to do whatever the heck they desire in Syria.
I don't see it reckless, I see targeting the airbase used to conduct this attack as necessary.

scbriml

Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:13 pm

tu204 wrote:

Assad got the bloody nose because the action shows that Putin and Russia can do nothing to stop America striking against him.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

seahawk

Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:29 pm

scbriml wrote:
tu204 wrote:

Assad got the bloody nose because the action shows that Putin and Russia can do nothing to stop America striking against him.

Well, apart from the nice warning message the Russian got from the US and forwarded to Assad. Personally I think Assad can sustain loosing 5 soldiers, 6 unserviceable planes and worthless HAS for a long time.

readytotaxi

Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:49 pm

Three questions, if I may.
Is it really required to let Assad/Russia know we are coming in advance, heck they have the satilites.
Did the US hit close enough to Assad to make him wake up?
What is the closest base to replenish these missiles for the ships, guess they are already on the way.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

727LOVER

Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:13 pm

ALT-RIGHT not happy with Trump over Syria

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alt-turns-do ... 02254.html
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

NoTime

Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:13 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Is it really required to let Assad/Russia know we are coming in advance, heck they have the satilites.

I'm guessing the US military is taking every precaution to avoid WWIII. There was already a communication line to help each military avoid the other (until Russia discountinued it, today)... perhaps they just used that? Regardless, since the strike was about destroying infrastructure and equipment, and NOT about killing soldiers, then I'm guessing they felt they could give Russia a bit of an advanced warning (knowing the info would likely get passed to Syria) without losing much of the surprise. (The reports I've seen say that the US gave Russia 1 hour of advanced notice.)

Did the US hit close enough to Assad to make him wake up?

I guess we'll see in the coming weeks. The strike was apparently about re-establishing the "red line" and preventing future chemical weapon usage. My guess is that Assad won't use them again. And, if he does, he can probably expect a few dozen more tomahawks aimed at something a little more critical than an airbase.

The real question is whether Russia will defend Assad if he uses chemical weapons again.

What is the closest base to replenish these missiles for the ships, guess they are already on the way.

I've read somewhere in Greece. Certainly somewhere in Europe. The US Navy has subs that can carry 100+ tomahawks... and I'm guessing there are a few of those hanging out in the Med, so if they need to launch more, I'm pretty sure they can.

Hillis

Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:35 pm

Thousands have died in this conflict since its inception. But, for some reason, now the U.S. think its time to retaliate? Why?

Maybe 45 is mad because Assad made him look like an ass, just days after his own SecState hinted that that murderer could stay in power. His ego was bruised, so there's 60 Tomahawk's for you.

Maybe 45 simply is looking for ways to deflect (again) from the ever-growing Russia scandal, and the fact his entire administration seems to be bought and paid for by Russia.

Maybe he saw his poll numbers hit 34%, and he felt this will make him look tough and "decisive", when, in fact, it does neither?

We wasted 60 missiles and what did he accomplish? One thing he did do was to highlight how his policies against refugees are getting innocent people killed.
B737-100, B737-200, B737-300, B737-500, B737-700, B737-800, B737-900, B727, B-707 DC-10, MD-11, 763, 764, 777, 757-200, 757-300, A-319, A-320, A-321, A-300, ERJ-145, ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190, CRJ-100, CRJ-200, DASH-2, DASH-3, DASH-8, BAE-146

NoTime

Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:41 pm

Hillis wrote:
Thousands have died in this conflict since its inception. But, for some reason, now the U.S. think its time to retaliate? Why?

Sarin.

scbriml

Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:53 pm

tu204 wrote:

I didn't say that. Assad got the bloody nose because the action shows that Putin and Russia can do nothing to stop America striking against him.

seahawk wrote:
Well, apart from the nice warning message the Russian got from the US and forwarded to Assad. Personally I think Assad can sustain loosing 5 soldiers, 6 unserviceable planes and worthless HAS for a long time.

Do you really think Assad is too stupid to see the bigger picture? This was just a warning to show that America can act with impunity. Russia, even with advanced warning, can do nothing to stop an attack.

TWA772LR

Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:59 pm

Hillis wrote:

Maybe 45 is mad because Assad made him look like an ass, just days after his own SecState hinted that that murderer could stay in power. His ego was bruised, so there's 60 Tomahawk's for you.

Maybe 45 simply is looking for ways to deflect (again) from the ever-growing Russia scandal, and the fact his entire administration seems to be bought and paid for by Russia.

Maybe he saw his poll numbers hit 34%, and he felt this will make him look tough and "decisive", when, in fact, it does neither?

We wasted 60 missiles and what did he accomplish? One thing he did do was to highlight how his policies against refugees are getting innocent people killed.

Obama drew the line in the sand. Assad crossed it. Obama did nothing.
Trump comes into power. Assad crosses the line again. Trump does something about it.

I agree that we shouldn't stick our noses into Syria, but we need to give some teeth to our foreign policy. As long as these missiles are the extent of our involvement (which didn't do much damage in the grand scheme of things), we're really just keeping the status quo. If anything, it makes Putin look like a wiener because he puts up all the rhetoric how the US will pay if we attack the Assad regime.

The evidence does point to the regime using the chemical weapons. The town is literally right in the middle of rebel-held territory, and I'm pretty sure ISIS doesn't have working planes AND chemical weapons. Assad has violated the Geneva Convention and a statement needed to be made. This has been the US's only attack against the regime and now he knows that we are serious.

Trump now knows the scope of the mess that is today's foreign politics. I really hope he learns from it and takes a more tactful approach.
Eat 'em up Kats!

bhill

Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:13 pm

Trump as usual half assed...he should have told Col Putin, "We are going to attack ALL Syrian military airfields randomly, until you tell me which airfield the chemical attack was launched from...you have 15 mikes...MARK.
Carpe Pices

BobPatterson

Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:10 pm

Hillis wrote:

Once again, because you have no moral compass, you cannot understand the situation.

We now have a President, whose name you dare not say, who will take measured action when lines drawn in the sand are overstepped.

Get used to it. There is more coming.

Because you are spineless, as well as without moral compass, you can't understand standing up to those who would use Sarin (or who will use nuclear weapons).

I doubt you can understand the need to preemptively prevent North Korea from having nuclear missiles capable of reaching the United States (or our allies). Our current President (whom I did not vote for) does understand that problem and will act appropriately, when the time comes, to prevent it.

Our former President (whom I voted for) unfortunately lacked the spine to deal with such problems while they could be dealt with.

Elections can be funny, and you often don't get what you think you will get. There is still much about President Trump that I don't like. But recent events suggest he is learning on the job.

I'm glad that we at least have a President with a spine.

The missiles sent into Syria are warning shots across several bows. At the very least they are warnings also to Iran and North Korea.

Have a good cry and a nice pity-party.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

seahawk

Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:51 pm

scbriml wrote:

seahawk wrote:

Do you really think Assad is too stupid to see the bigger picture? This was just a warning to show that America can act with impunity. Russia, even with advanced warning, can do nothing to stop an attack.

The better question is why stop the attack? A few old planes, a few empty bunkers and a few HAS destroyed and people get the idea that Trump is stepping up to old Putin while Assad gets a nice reminder that he is in deep doodoo if he pisses of Uncle Vlad.

Aesma

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:07 pm

On French TV analysts were saying that the reason Trump is doing that which is totally contrary to his campaign promises, including his inauguration speech about not wanting to be the world police anymore, is to gain favor with the GOP so that next time a law he supports comes up, probably his tax cuts, it passes for a change.

What do you think ?

scbriml

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:14 pm

seahawk wrote:
The better question is why stop the attack?

How do you know it's stopped or finished? THAT and the fact Russia can do nothing to stop it is the whole point. Wake up and smell the coffee.

America can launch a Tomahawk down Assad's throat any time they want. Now Assad knows that (if he didn't before). He also knows his buddy Vlad can do sweet FA about it.

DDR

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:23 pm

scbriml wrote:
seahawk wrote:
The better question is why stop the attack?

How do you know it's stopped or finished? THAT and the fact Russia can do nothing to stop it is the whole point. Wake up and smell the coffee.

America can launch a Tomahawk down Assad's throat any time they want. Now Assad knows that (if he didn't before). He also knows his buddy Vlad can do sweet FA about it.

Scbriml, that was a good post. Thank you. I will try to put into words what a lot of my friends are thinking. The USA should not be the world's policeman, but when something happens like what occurred in Syria, we should do something.

I hope most people on this site realize there is a difference between U.S citizens and the government. Most of us just want to live a nice, peaceful life. We can't control what the government does a lot of the times.

With Trump in office, we can only hope that level heads will prevail.

VSMUT

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:29 pm

I wouldn't celebrate so fast.

http://www.snafu-solomon.com/2017/04/ru ... ached.html

Out of 60 missiles, only some 20 hit their targets. That suggests that Russia just got a tremendous opportunity to try out its air defence systems against the Americans primary first-strike weapon, and succeeded in shooting down a significant amount of them. On top of that, only 6, probably unflyable, antiquated, air-defence fighters knocked out (almost certainly not the aircraft used in the chemical attack), along with a bunch of empty hardened air shelters? Looks like a failed attack if you ask me.

The big question here if you ask me, was it planned to go like this or not? :stirthepot: Russia just got a massive intelligence heist, and half of Europes political elite is crawling over each other to kiss the Orange persons' rear end.

salttee

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:37 pm

I think Obama did the right thing in 2013 by stepping back from military action against the government of Syria.
And considering the history, I support what Trump did yesterday.

But I lament the fact that we have crossed the line and attacked Syria with a military strike. I was to our political advantage to be able to say that we had never done that.

There is a huge puzzle, why did Assad use sarin again? It had to have been a political move, not a military move; I can see no purpose for it unless it was ordered by Putin because he wants to ratchet up tensions. It sent no message to rebellious Syrians that didn't already exist, they know that Assad will kill them if he ever gets his hands on them.

VSMUT wrote:
Out of 60 missiles, only some 20 hit their targets.

If you believe anything the Russians say.

I don't.
"Good genes, very good genes, Ok, very smart, the Wharton School of finance, very good, very smart."