KLDC10

Re: Trump considering options for Syria retaliation!

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:41 pm

salttee wrote:
There is a huge puzzle, why did Assad use sarin again? It had to have been a political move, not a military move; I can see no purpose for it unless it was ordered by Putin because he wants to ratchet up tensions. It sent no message to rebellious Syrians that didn't already exist, they know that Assad will kill them if he ever gets his hands on them.

Perhaps he was trying to test the Trump Administration. If that is the case, then his gamble has backfired horribly.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/752/772/A320/A332/A333/E190

VSMUT

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:46 pm

salttee wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
Out of 60 missiles, only some 20 hit their targets.

If you believe anything the Russians say.

I don't.

Take a look at those photos. Does that look like 60 missiles to you? A few HAS' knocked out and just a few old MiG-23 wrecks? They didn't even get the runways or taxiways. Somebody isn't telling the truth, but it seems almost certain that the base wasn't hit by 60 missiles.

pylon101

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:56 pm

There is no point here. The Russian defensive systems were installed with the only purpose to protect the airbase in Latakia.
Neither S-300 nor S-400 are able to intercept any low altitude flying missile farther than 25 km. They are not supposed to.
Not with locally stationed radars.
Syria is a big country. The Russian MOD had no objective to create a defense system for Syrian bases.
It would be a completely different level of involvement. It would require (according to MOD) 4-5 divisions of S-400 with the system of radars covering huge territory. In addition, it would need a regiment of SU-30SM/SU-35.

I have no idea how it is going to develop. But what's happening today in the D.C. area can not be called other than madness.
Liberals are ecstatic - they were craving more war.
Trump's supporters are in depression. Because they have no idea in which direction Trump evolves.

I think that this "strike" is a part of the domestic policies. As I said previously, it would be all justified if the Senate votes for Korsuch today.
I am on EK 231/232. The rest is just jet lag.

salttee

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:58 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Take a look at those photos. Does that look like 60 missiles to you? A few HAS' knocked out and just a few old MiG-23 wrecks? They didn't even get the runways or taxiways. Somebody isn't telling the truth, but it seems almost certain that the base wasn't hit by 60 missiles.
If you only show pictures of three missile impacts then of course it won't look like 59 impacts.

I would need to see photos of the entire airbase before I would begin to think I knew what happened there.

It bugs me that there are many satellites owned by many entities who have those pictures, but we the public don't get to see them. The Syrians know what was hit, the Russians know what was hit - everyone knows what was hit except the ordinary people.

This is always the same, we should have been able to look at high quality overhead pictures of the raid in Yemen the next day, and the same in so many other places. There are no secrets to hide about satellites or optical abilities. Besos or Musk or someone like them should break up the monopoly on that kind of information.
"Good genes, very good genes, Ok, very smart, the Wharton School of finance, very good, very smart."

pylon101

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:06 pm

It doesn't matter. Neil Gorsuch was approved as the Supreme Court Justice 54-45.
Yesterday they expected 51-49.

59 Tomohawks and here is that:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/syrian-jets-of ... d=46646770

NoTime

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:51 pm

VSMUT wrote:
I wouldn't celebrate so fast.

So, out of all the sources out there, you're going to take the word of the Russian military? Of course they want it to seem like the attack was a failure.

Here are some pics from the airbase - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... it-US.html

I'm also not surprised that they have aircraft taking off from the base this evening. My guess is that making the damage seem inconsequential was priority number 1 for both Syria and Russia.

The real test of the effectiveness of the airstrike will be whether or not Assad uses chemical weapons on civilians again.

DIRECTFLT

Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:30 am

The Tomahawk missile attack was just a statement. If it helps the US in getting China to be willing to reign in N. Korea, then well done!!

If, the goal was to obliterate the airbase, then one of these would probably have done the trick.

:P
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

EA CO AS

Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:43 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
The Tomahawk missile attack was just a statement. If it helps the US in getting China to be willing to reign in N. Korea, then well done!!

If, the goal was to obliterate the airbase, then one of these would probably have done the trick.

:P

While true, there'd be no quicker way to not only lose the moral high ground, but to also invite global condemnation.

(And yes, I realize you were kidding)
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

cpd

Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:52 am

SMH reckons Trump and Putin are one step away from war with each other.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/syrian-bomb ... vgmdw.html

Putin has every right to be annoyed, after all, he works so hard to get Trump elected and this is what he gets in return? :duck:

seb146

Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:19 am

Syria moved things from the base before it was attacked but innocent women and children were killed. Innocent women and children and a Navy SEAL killed in the Yemen raid which gained us zero useful intel. No one on the right is disturbed by any of this?
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

Braybuddy

Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:04 am

Wonder now if Putin realises he may have backed the wrong horse, which is no bad thing. A smart move by Trump, something I wouldn't have thought he was capable of up to now, and a welcome slap in the face for Assad. Will be interesting to see how this plays out with Trump's approval ratings, and how he reacts in future. This could be a whole new ball game.

salttee

Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:35 am

Braybuddy wrote:
Wonder now if Putin realises he may have backed the wrong horse

Syria is strategically important to Russia, it provides them with a naval base in the Mediterranean. Being there also solidifies their relationship with Egypt. There is nobody but Assad to keep the door open for Russia.
"Good genes, very good genes, Ok, very smart, the Wharton School of finance, very good, very smart."

scbriml

Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:51 am

VSMUT wrote:
Out of 60 missiles, only some 20 hit their targets.

How do only 20 Tomahawks manage to hit all these targets? :scratchchin:

VSMUT wrote:
That suggests that Russia just got a tremendous opportunity to try out its air defence systems against the Americans primary first-strike weapon, and succeeded in shooting down a significant amount of them.

No, it suggests Russia is full of it. :wink2:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

pylon101

Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:50 am

This a typical binary thinking I am observing here in D.C. Liberal feel so happy and proud. GOP "cucks" feel so proud.
Righteousness in its worst exposure.
There are two secular regimes in the Arab world - in Syria and Egypt. You don't take Assad - you get the Caliphate.
Sorry, it is a bundle deal.

VSMUT

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:05 am

scbriml wrote:

It would be nice if you could post a satellite image where you could actually see what they have circled, as well as a before image to verify which of them where hit by Tomahawks, and which were struck by the Israelis in the past.

tu204

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:25 am

scbriml wrote:
tu204 wrote:
Sorry, I don't follow you.

How did America give Putin/Russia a bloody nose?

I didn't say that. Assad got the bloody nose because the action shows that Putin and Russia can do nothing to stop America striking against him.

seahawk wrote:
Well, apart from the nice warning message the Russian got from the US and forwarded to Assad. Personally I think Assad can sustain loosing 5 soldiers, 6 unserviceable planes and worthless HAS for a long time.

Do you really think Assad is too stupid to see the bigger picture? This was just a warning to show that America can act with impunity. Russia, even with advanced warning, can do nothing to stop an attack.

Well I see that this PR stunt worked at least on you then :lol:

What makes you think that Russia had any intention to stop this attack that meant nothing and was meant to boost Trump's image?

Whats the point?
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

dc863

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:59 am

Assad is controlled by Iran. I have no doubt the Iranians approved of the Sarin strike as well as all the other chemical strikes carried out by the SAA. The airfield is said to house Iranian Hezbollah and IRGC assets.

lugie

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:01 am

KLDC10 wrote:
salttee wrote:
There is a huge puzzle, why did Assad use sarin again? It had to have been a political move, not a military move; I can see no purpose for it unless it was ordered by Putin because he wants to ratchet up tensions. It sent no message to rebellious Syrians that didn't already exist, they know that Assad will kill them if he ever gets his hands on them.

Perhaps he was trying to test the Trump Administration. If that is the case, then his gamble has backfired horribly.

I believe that was his intention. Last week Trump proclaimed getting rid of Assad was not a priority in Syria anymore, so why not give him the ultimate test and overrun the red line Obama (for whom getting rid of Assad was a priority) had drawn but not acted in accordance either.
Now, I'm in no way intending to say she is a lady solely interested in you for her own monetary gain, I just fail to observe her accompanying gentlemen of lesser fortune. - Kanye West

seahawk

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:03 am

scbriml wrote:
seahawk wrote:
The better question is why stop the attack?

How do you know it's stopped or finished? THAT and the fact Russia can do nothing to stop it is the whole point. Wake up and smell the coffee.

America can launch a Tomahawk down Assad's throat any time they want. Now Assad knows that (if he didn't before). He also knows his buddy Vlad can do sweet FA about it.

As long as the US warns the Russians before the attack, I dare to disagree. I mean what has Russia really lost?

The Russian helicopters at the airbase operate as normal, Assad now knows that his only protection are the Russian troops, Trump has changed the public opinion of him being a friend of Putin, Putin has a reason to deploy more troops. If one considers the idea that Trump and Putin are buddies, it looks like a win-win to me.

pvjin

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:06 am

dc863 wrote:
Assad is controlled by Iran. I have no doubt the Iranians approved of the Sarin strike as well as all the other chemical strikes carried out by the SAA. The airfield is said to house Iranian Hezbollah and IRGC assets.

Just like ISIS is funded by rich Arabs from US allies such as KSA and Qatar.
"Optimism is the madness of insisting that all is well when we are miserable." - Voltaire

Braybuddy

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:28 am

salttee wrote:
Syria is strategically important to Russia, it provides them with a naval base in the Mediterranean. Being there also solidifies their relationship with Egypt. There is nobody but Assad to keep the door open for Russia.

I wasn't talking about Syria. By cosying up to Trump and "allegedly" influencing the outcome of the US presidential election, it may have suited Putin more to back Clinton. I don't believe anyone would have expected Trump to alienate Putin, and so quickly too.

scbriml

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:55 am

seahawk wrote:
As long as the US warns the Russians before the attack, I dare to disagree.

That's fine, but you can't assume the Russians will be notified next time or every time.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

salttee

Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:01 pm

VSMUT wrote:
It would be nice if you could post a satellite image where you could actually see what they have circled, as well as a before image to verify which of them where hit by Tomahawks, and which were struck by the Israelis in the past.

The before picture is found with Google Earth at 34° 29.534'N 36° 54.737'E and it is much higher quality than the after shots we've been given.

dtw2hyd

Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:14 pm

Damage seems to be minimal. If these were reaching end-of-shelf life, no point in refurbishing them at $1Million each. Use those and buy new ones for same price. Raytheon charges are same to refurbish or for brand new.

TWA772LR

Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:34 pm

pvjin wrote:
dc863 wrote:

Governments are allies. People do what ever they please.
Eat 'em up Kats!

Hillis

Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:22 pm

B737-100, B737-200, B737-300, B737-500, B737-700, B737-800, B737-900, B727, B-707 DC-10, MD-11, 763, 764, 777, 757-200, 757-300, A-319, A-320, A-321, A-300, ERJ-145, ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190, CRJ-100, CRJ-200, DASH-2, DASH-3, DASH-8, BAE-146

mham001

Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:05 pm

VSMUT wrote:
scbriml wrote:

It would be nice if you looked around and did some of your own research and reading and could thus add to the conversation, instead of questioning sources without basis. Plenty of this noise goes on in this forum and makes people who do read up think twice about sharing.

https://yallasouriya.wordpress.com/2017 ... us-attack/
http://warisboring.com/u-s-cruise-missi ... precision/

The first question I have is, if only 20 missiles hit the targets, where did the rest go?

salttee

Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:23 pm

VSMUT is correct, although we do have pictures of the entire al-Shayrat air base, the photos the media has provided are of such low quality that we can't confirm all 59 hits (although we can see a lot more than just 20 - see scbriml's post 113).

An interesting thing about the pictures you found is that they show that the intact fighters in the untargeted shelter are MIG 21s. There are a dozen or so MIG 21s that have been put out to pasture at al-Shayrat, they are just scrap aluminum and weren't targeted. So it looks like the Syrians towed a couple of those carcasses into empty shelters to allow them to take pictures which make it look as if the American strike missed some targets.

tu204

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:24 pm

scbriml wrote:
seahawk wrote:
As long as the US warns the Russians before the attack, I dare to disagree.

That's fine, but you can't assume the Russians will be notified next time or every time.

Yeah, I doubt that would happen.

What is the point of risking a retalliation attack against your destroyers in the Med by suprise launching an attack on Syria?

Consider this: Russian rardar sites in Syria see a salvo of missiles being launched from some US ships. The flight time is only several of minutes and there is no time to consult Moscow. The US have given Russia no warning or notification of any planned attack. This could be taken as an act of agression against stationed Russian troops in Syria and some missiles might be flying your way and some destroyers might be turned in to some coral reefs.

Part of the reason why the US warned Russia is because you guys don't want our guys to make stupid mistake and do something in return.

Besides that, it is clear that this whole attack was purely intended for the American public and you for example have proven that it worked nicely ;)
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

scbriml

Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:08 pm

tu204 wrote:
Besides that, it is clear that this whole attack was purely intended for the American public and you for example have proven that it worked nicely ;)

Whereas others have fallen for the usual Russian bullshit. :rotfl:

Where are all the pictures of the failed/shot-down Tomahawks? :scratchchin:

Keep drinking the vodka. :sarcastic:

salttee

Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:19 am

Sen. Chris Murphy ripped into President Trump's decision to order a missile launch on a Syrian air base

"The actions Trump took leading up to Assad’s chemical weapons attack, as well as the all-important and totally unanswered question of what comes next, highlight the administration’s immoral and hypocritical approach to violence in the region." The Connecticut Democrat pointed to Secretary of State Rex Tillerson's statement last week that Syrian President Bashar Assad's future as his country's leader would be "decided by the Syrian people." That position, Murphy wrote, was an abdication of the Obama administration's position that Assad should be removed. Murphy argued that the Assad regime took Tillerson's announcement as "green light" to carry out Tuesday's chemical weapons attack in Syria's rebel-held Idlib Province, which killed more than 70 civilians, including numerous children.

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) similarly argued it wasn't a "coincidence" the chemical attack happened days after Tillerson suggested Assad could stay in power.

Murphy also asserted that the Trump administration's lax attitudes toward Russia have taken pressure off of the Kremlin to keep tabs on the Assad regime's use chemical weapons. "Their inability to finish the disposal of chemical weapons, or their unwillingness to veto the chemical attack, can be explained by the perceived permission slip they have been granted by the Trump administration," Murphy wrote.

Trump on Wednesday condemned the chemical weapons strike, saying it had a "big impact" on him and altered his view of Syria. "I will tell you that attack on children yesterday had a big impact on me, big impact," he said at a news conference. "That was a horrible, horrible thing. I’ve been watching it and seeing it, and it doesn’t get any worse than that." But Murphy said the comments highlighted the president's "hypocrisy," pointing to Trump's executive orders attempting to suspend the U.S. refugee resettlement program and barring citizens of certain majority-Muslim countries – including Syria – from entering the U.S. for 90 days.

"Trump claimed to have ordered the missile strike because he was so personally moved by the images of the children killed by the attacks," he wrote.
"Does our president not realize that these are the same children he’s twice tried to ban from entering our country?"

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3279 ... nd-immoral

Planeflyer

Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:30 am

As far as Syria and for that matter most foreign policy issues, Obama had a lot more hope than he did serious policy.

60 missiles that come out of nowhere is more policy than Obama implemented in 8 years.

salttee

Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:33 am

Planeflyer wrote:
As far as Syria and for that matter most foreign policy issues, Obama had a lot more hope than he did serious policy.
60 missiles that come out of nowhere is more policy than Obama implemented in 8 years.

Wow what policy! Assad bombed Khan Sheikhoun again yesterday in spite of Trump's "policy" that you love so much. So he didn't accomplish squat for our 66 million dollars worth of missiles.

Continued bombing by Assad shows limits of single U.S. attack
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... e70620e43b

You must have loved G W Bush's "Mission Accomplished" policy.
You're probably one of those who still thinks we won in Vietnam.

Hillis

Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:09 am

Planeflyer wrote:

60 missiles that didn't put the airbase out of commission isn't "policy". That's PR and bravado.

45 did a 180 on Syria in a week's time, going form his SecState indicating that the U.S. had no trouble with Assad staying in power, to bombing one of his bases the same week. That isn't "policy", either. It's not knowing what the hell you're doing or what you want.

Why is it that so many people think firing some missles that do little or no damage and change nothing is good "policy" or being "presidential"? It's neither.

That's why we have an idiot like this man in the White House. People like you think lobbing Tomahawk's is good "policy".
B737-100, B737-200, B737-300, B737-500, B737-700, B737-800, B737-900, B727, B-707 DC-10, MD-11, 763, 764, 777, 757-200, 757-300, A-319, A-320, A-321, A-300, ERJ-145, ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190, CRJ-100, CRJ-200, DASH-2, DASH-3, DASH-8, BAE-146

Flaps

Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:31 am

Hillis

You finally showed up! I thought I was going to miss my daily belly laugh from reading your political drivel.

Regardless of how this all plays out no one will be winning anything. This war has been going on for thousands of years and will be going on for thousands more. Just another chapter in the "Never Ending Story". Today's winner will be tomorrows loser. Yesterdays loser will be next weeks winner and so on it goes.

salttee

Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:08 am

Flaps wrote:
This war has been going on for thousands of years and will be going on for thousands more. Just another chapter in the "Never Ending Story". Today's winner will be tomorrows loser. Yesterdays loser will be next weeks winner and so on it goes.

That's a bogus version history you've been sold. The Levant has been an island of tranquility compared to western history especially over the last 1,400 years or so. The troubles we see there now all began in the late 19th and early twentieth centuries when the Zionists began their orchestrated infiltration and takeover of the western part of the Levant and then were institutionalized by the colonial powers who divided the region up into unstable entities, one of which was Syria. Syria and Iraq were both intentionally created out of conflicting cultures so that they would be easy to manipulate by an outside power who could play one faction off against the other.

It is particularly galling for a native of the region or someone who has studied the region and who knows its actual history to hear the bogus "it has been going on for thousands of years" nonsense from misinformed westerners.

tommy1808

Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:24 am

BobPatterson wrote:
Once again, because you have no moral compass, you cannot understand the situation.

We now have a President, whose name you dare not say, who will take measured action when lines drawn in the sand are overstepped.

Get used to it. There is more coming.

And once again you are swallowing a PR campaign hook, line and sinker.
If you tell your enemy that and what you are going to attack, you are doing a strike for domestic consumption.

And your president goes on Twitter telling anyone that runways never get attacked.

So why was black buck to take our runways? Why are there durandal, mw1, JP233 and all those other weapons and tactics to destroy run- and taxi ways?

Trump just wanted to distract from his massive problems at home, without doing any real damage to the Assad regime. There is no "red line" involved here, no moral compass involved anywhere. There have been gas strikes before, yet Trump is on record not wanting to interfere.

Your moral compass seems to be quite defective anyhow, since those few killed are unlikely high ranking military or political figures, but just poor slops doing their jobs without having much choice in the matter. Great morals. Moral would have been tracking Assad and lofting a JDAM through his bedroom window. Not going after the people at the tail end of the chain of command.

This attack had zero effect on ability or will to murder his own people.

Best regards
Thomas
This signature is a safe space for Trump supporters....

Aesma

Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:22 am

TWA772LR wrote:
pvjin wrote:
dc863 wrote:

Governments are allies. People do what ever they please.

Yes but governments can at least try to stop their citizens from doing things like funding terrorism. They can make it illegal, and enforce those laws.

Of course Saudi Arabia would rather behead people for sorcery or adultery.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Planeflyer

Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:17 pm

Hillis, Salttee,

Oh, Trump failed because all bombing hasn't ceased. Way to move the goal posts.

How much you wanna bet Assad has used chemical weapons for the last time?

Today, NK has a new reality to consider as do China and Russia regards their moves the South China sea and Eastern Europe. None of the bad guys feared Obama and none of our allies trusted him.

In case you missed it there was huge sigh of relief this week in Europe, Japan, SE Asia and SK.

Maybe more has to happen but at least the world sees that the use of WMD will lead to consequences.

And the bonus is we don't have to listen to all the tortured statements filled with coulda, shoulda , woulda's from the la la land left.

zkojq

Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:23 pm

727LOVER wrote:
ALT-RIGHT not happy with Trump over Syria

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alt-turns-do ... 02254.html

Hmmm I stumbled upon a Daily Kos piece which suggested similarly:

Ya'll realize that Donnie gutted his Alt-Right base last night, right?
I don't believe people around here quite grasp how deep and real​​​​ his anti-war support was during the election. It was a defining litmus test for an 'Alt-Right' movement that in many ways see NeoCons as their biggest enemy. Hillary's hawkishness on Syria exacerbated this.

I therefore naturally assumed that Iran, not Syria, would be the rock upon which Trump's unstable-ass coalition would eventually shatter, perhaps in year two or three. Assad, I naturally assumed, would be left alone as per orders from Moscow. Any atrocities would be handwaved away with RT talking points. Maybe Pence rattles his cuck sabre a little during a speech, but that's it.

When Trump cryptically implied military action earlier this week, my reaction was "yeah right, I almost wish you were that stupid​​​​​​". Imagine my surprise when I woke up last night to learn that he was.

​​​​​​Nigel Farage has never criticized Donald Trump until now, ya'll.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/4/7/ ... ight-right

Will be interesting to see how this affects his support going forward. Note that most of the conservatives here aren't explicitly supporting Trump, but rather trying to moan loudly about red lines and how they think Obama's a pussy.

Hillis wrote:
Thousands have died in this conflict since its inception. But, for some reason, now the U.S. think its time to retaliate? Why?

Because chemical weapons were used last week. That's as gooder reason as any to step up and take action.

scbriml wrote:
This was just a warning to show that America can act with impunity. Russia, even with advanced warning, can do nothing to stop an attack.

Will be interesting to see if the Trump blackmail material that Russia supposedly has gets leaked over the coming weeks. OTOH stuff like that is only useful up until it is released, so using it prematurely on an issue that isn't too important (to Russia) in the grand scheme of things probably wouldn't be all that wise.

BobPatterson wrote:
Once again, because you have no moral compass, you cannot understand the situation.

No need for personal attacks.

DDR wrote:
The USA should not be the world's policeman, but when something happens like what occurred in Syria, we should do something.

:checkmark:
First to fly the 787-9 (ZK-NZE, NZ103, 2014-10-09)

dtw2hyd

Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:26 pm

What does an average Syrian wants? A safe country of their own or refugee status in some other country. I think Trump is any dictator's nightmare with his ever changing views. Unlike previous administrations he won't sit and watch if they cross the line just because they are our ally. This may actually change the perception of Syrians and may lead to a political solution.

Braybuddy

Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:43 pm

I was listening to a munitions expert on radio today who claimed that the amount of sarin used would have cost millions of dollars; something only a government could have funded. Also, he said that if the sarin was held by the rebels and hit by Assad's missiles, as the Russians have claimed, it would have been totally destroyed.

seb146

Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:51 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
What does an average Syrian wants? A safe country of their own or refugee status in some other country. I think Trump is any dictator's nightmare with his ever changing views. Unlike previous administrations he won't sit and watch if they cross the line just because they are our ally. This may actually change the perception of Syrians and may lead to a political solution.

They are Muslims. Too many Americans have been indoctrinated with the "Muslims=terrorist" BS that Syrian=Muslim=terrorist and why the hell would we ever help terrorists?

seb146

Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:54 pm

It is now being confirmed by American officials that Assad knew of the missile attack

http://bipartisanreport.com/2017/04/07/ ... -for-show/

Those missiles did so much damage that the airfield was in service the next day. But, hey... at least four civilians were killed, right?

Hillis

Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:51 pm

Flaps wrote:
Hillis

You finally showed up! I thought I was going to miss my daily belly laugh from reading your political drivel.

Regardless of how this all plays out no one will be winning anything. This war has been going on for thousands of years and will be going on for thousands more. Just another chapter in the "Never Ending Story". Today's winner will be tomorrows loser. Yesterdays loser will be next weeks winner and so on it goes.

Maybe it says something about you that you like to read things that you don't like?

And I do agree with you. No one will win this, which is why Obama stayed away from it, and why he insisted on Congressional approval for any involvement beyond support for the rebels. How many times does the U.S. have to crawl into a quagmire before we figure out that we need to stay away from quagmires?

45 is going to get a lot of American servicemen and women killed with his unpredictability, and his lust for fighting.

tommy1808

Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:51 pm

seb146 wrote:
It is now being confirmed by American officials that Assad knew of the missile attack

http://bipartisanreport.com/2017/04/07/ ... -for-show/

Those missiles did so much damage that the airfield was in service the next day. But, hey... at least four civilians were killed, right?

Which makes it a 100% PR Stunt.... way to keep US service people safe if you tell the enemy that you attack.

Best regards
Thomas

Planeflyer

Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:54 pm

Saltte, name calling is the recourse of a weak arguement.

tommy1808

Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:07 pm

Planeflyer wrote:
None of the bad guys feared Obama and none of our allies trusted him.

Yes, we did.

in case you missed it there was huge sigh of relief this week in Europe, Japan, SE Asia and SK.

Mmmm.. nk Situation, ok, no more or less than with Obama though? Syria? No... reaction is more along the lines of "pure show".

Maybe more has to happen but at least the world sees that the use of WMD will lead to consequences.

If those consequences are ineffective strikes with a nice little "is tonight all right with you?" call in advance they will glady keep using WMD. Or just cluster ammunition for the same effect.

The world see's the weekest US president in a long long time.

Best regards
Thomas

Braybuddy

Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:30 pm

The Sunday Times has a report today about the origin of the airstrikes: the British ambassador to Washington filed a memo to Whitehall saying that Trump was "genuinely shaken" by pictures of those killed by the chemical weapons. He was also influenced by Ivanka tweeting about how upset she was at the attack. Apparently he was particularly animated by one of the survivors, Kassim Eid, imploring him to act and not make the same mistake that Obama made over his "red line" warning in 2012.

It's hard to know when Trump is bluffing or telling the truth, but his press conference after the attack certainly had the ring of authenticity to it: he genuinely seems to have been affected by what he had seen.

bennett123

Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:49 pm

Question for Assad is how much has he to gain by using Sarin as opposed to other weapons.

Furthermore, he may not have much Sarin left.

Also will Putin supply more MIG23's.