DLFREEBIRD
Topic Author

Please explain Bill O'Reilly Popularity?

Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:46 pm

This isn't a new story, Bill O'Reilly been sexually harassing women since 2002 . Fox News standard operating procedures is to fire the women who complain. In the past Roger Ailes defend him at all costs, through multiple sexually harrassments allegations. these lawsuits were settled out of court and out of the public eye. So my question is simple, why are they protecting him? Roger's Ailes is gone. Why aren't the Murdoch's doing anything?

This isn't a thread to bash, O'Reilly, i would really like to hear from people who watch his top rated show and enjoy it.

please share why you think Fox News thinks Bill O'Reilly is untouchable? Is it his rating? I just don't get in this day and age, why a network like Fox wouldn't just clean house to protect their brand.and image. especially after the Roger Ailes era

bgm

Re: Please explain Bill O'Reilly Popularity?

Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:02 pm

If we have a president who boasted about grabbing women by the pussy, yet still got elected, why are you surprised?

Society has a long way to go, unfortunately.
"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." -George Carlin

stratosphere

Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:50 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
This isn't a new story, Bill O'Reilly been sexually harassing women since 2002 . Fox News standard operating procedures is to fire the women who complain. In the past Roger Ailes defend him at all costs, through multiple sexually harrassments allegations. these lawsuits were settled out of court and out of the public eye. So my question is simple, why are they protecting him? Roger's Ailes is gone. Why aren't the Murdoch's doing anything?

This isn't a thread to bash, O'Reilly, i would really like to hear from people who watch his top rated show and enjoy it.

please share why you think Fox News thinks Bill O'Reilly is untouchable? Is it his rating? I just don't get in this day and age, why a network like Fox wouldn't just clean house to protect their brand.and image. especially after the Roger Ailes era

Ok Ill bite. I actually watch all the networks I watch O'Reilly and I also watch Rachel Maddow and Chris Matthews and Hannity I bounce all over the place. Lets face it they all have their spin on things but O'Reilly seems to be the less radical of all of them and even though I despise the term fair and balanced he actually tries to be more balanced than the others so that's why I do watch him more.

WarRI1

Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:32 am

stratosphere wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:

Ok Ill bite. I actually watch all the networks I watch O'Reilly and I also watch Rachel Maddow and Chris Matthews and Hannity I bounce all over the place. Lets face it they all have their spin on things but O'Reilly seems to be the less radical of all of them and even though I despise the term fair and balanced he actually tries to be more balanced than the others so that's why I do watch him more.

I cannot watch him or Chris Mathews, they will not let anyone finish what they are saying. Bill is the King of Bloviating hands down.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

stlgph

Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:12 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:

O'Reilly maintains his popularity because he does one thing right ... he doesn't mess with his show. The format and style is the same and has consistently been that way for .... forever, maybe longer.
Whereas other shows are constantly trying to switch it up and try new things, new gimmicks or what have you, if O'Reilly in 1996 had spent the :40 minute mark after the hour making pancakes, he'd still be making pancakes today during the :40 minute mark. 60 Minutes and CBS Sunday Morning are the only two shows I think of with great longevity and their success is based on the fact the network has been smart and has left it the hell alone.

Also, Fox News doesn't need to protect their brand and image. It's such a dominant number 1 across TV, web, social media, franchises, etc. etc., it isn't even funny. Quarter 1 2017 just set unprecedented records. Bitch and moan about them all you want because really, good luck with that.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

bgm

Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:44 am

Fox News' most popular show is facing an exodus of advertisers because of sexual harassment claims against its host, Bill O'Reilly.

Mercedes-Benz, BMW North America and several others have pulled adverts following the "disturbing" allegations.

The New York Times reported on Saturday that settlements of $13m (£10.4m) were reached with five women who accused him of inappropriate behaviour.

The network said on Tuesday it was working to "address concerns".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39492854
"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." -George Carlin

DLFREEBIRD
Topic Author

Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:41 am

first 3 car companies dropped him, then hours late the number grew to 12 sponsors dropped him. Now a full 24 hours later 21 companies have dropped him.
He was making 18 million a year and bringing in 4 million viewers a night, that's pretty impressive, but it seems right now he's circling the drain with Fox. At first Fox supported him, but now they are distancing themselves.

WarRI1

Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:04 am

I watched some of his show last night, just as obnoxious and self serving as usual. The spin stops here. Let us hope it stops completely.

FriscoHeavy

Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:15 pm

I love watching Mr. O'Reilly and tune into his program nearly every night. Very intelligent man and is the most fair and balanced of anyone in TV media. I don't always agree with his stance on things, but he is very fair minded, which I appreciate.
FriscoHeavy

seb146

Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:19 pm

He uses catch phrases that trick people. Phrases like "no spin zone" and "fair and balanced." He is neither of those things. And, it turns out, when he is outraged over "liberals" his followers are outraged over "liberals." The only time you will see him outraged over righties is if they use the wrong salad fork at Mar-A-Lago or wearing white after Labor Day.

I agree he is very intelligent. He uses small words and just enough spin to make him sound smart. He actually sounds like he knows things. He does not, but he sounds like it.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

BobPatterson

Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:39 pm

seb146 wrote:
He uses small words and just enough spin to make him sound smart. He actually sounds like he knows things. He does not, but he sounds like it.

This sounds very much like yourself. Have you noticed?
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

FriscoHeavy

Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:26 pm

seb146 wrote:
He uses catch phrases that trick people. Phrases like "no spin zone" and "fair and balanced." He is neither of those things. And, it turns out, when he is outraged over "liberals" his followers are outraged over "liberals." The only time you will see him outraged over righties is if they use the wrong salad fork at Mar-A-Lago or wearing white after Labor Day.

I agree he is very intelligent. He uses small words and just enough spin to make him sound smart. He actually sounds like he knows things. He does not, but he sounds like it.

You're just a quack. I see him giving Republicans a hard time very often and he grills them, just as he does Democrats.

He also objectively states where President Trump is going wrong on various issues.

He's both Fair and Balanced.
FriscoHeavy

WarRI1

Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:25 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
seb146 wrote:

You're just a quack. I see him giving Republicans a hard time very often and he grills them, just as he does Democrats.

He also objectively states where President Trump is going wrong on various issues.

I guess it is all who he is fair and balanced to. He is certainly not a nice guy when his fair and balanced is off, mostly to Democrats, very dismissive to people he does not agree with. As I said, he bloviates big time.

Dutchy

Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:40 pm

Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

WarRI1

Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:46 am

Dutchy wrote:

Fame and Fortune and Power has been the downfall of many a human being. Big Bill is a classic example, first comes Fame, then Fortune and when those are obtained comes the seeking of Power from the first two. As has been common at Fox, where truth has been replaced with alternate facts and out right lies and exaggerations. The Fame and Fortune and Power has also led to sexual exploitation by some there. This has come about because others seek the same Fame and Fortune and Power from those who had them first. Alas, the Spin Doctor continued down the road to sexual exploitation. Your fired Bill. :eek: :shock:

seb146

Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:40 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Nope. He talks over Democrats and does not let them talk. Just like any rightie. He tells all Democrats they are wrong and he tells all those he deem RINO they are wrong. But, because he says "no spin zone" on a network that says "fair and balanced" people believe it.

stratosphere

Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:15 am

seb146 wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Nope. He talks over Democrats and does not let them talk. Just like any rightie. He tells all Democrats they are wrong and he tells all those he deem RINO they are wrong. But, because he says "no spin zone" on a network that says "fair and balanced" people believe it.

You don't think Don Lemon or Chris Matthews or Van Jones interrupt and talk over conservative guests? They both do it. Hannity is the worst at doing it.

MaverickM11

Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:00 am

You have to admit Bill O'Reilly and Trump are doing a helluva job raising awareness of sexual assault, during sexual assault awareness month! That's gotta count for something.
E pur si muove -Galileo

seb146

Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:37 am

stratosphere wrote:
seb146 wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

You don't think Don Lemon or Chris Matthews or Van Jones interrupt and talk over conservative guests? They both do it. Hannity is the worst at doing it.

Another right wing apology because "both sides do it." We are talking about Bill O'Reilly specifically and righties in general. I think all talk show hosts do it because they think it is a ratings draw, but it is stupid and annoying. I listen to Progress on SiriusXM and the main time any hosts start talking over callers is when the caller starts running on about right wing talking points that are weak or have been debunked.

This is why we can not have civilized debate in this country.

opethfan

Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:04 am

Hmm, I wonder if this thread will be any different from all the other political ones, with the same ol' handful of lefties preaching lefty crap and the same ol' handful of righties preaching righty crap...

... nope!

And yes, O'Reilly is a blowhard and it doesn't surprise me that he apparently gets too handy with women. He loves the sound of his own voice too much to accept the fact that anyone else might not feel the same way.

He gets some points right and has some okay (if obnoxious and conservative) outlooks, but by and large he's the weakest (and apparently sleaziest) FNC personality. I much prefer Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity.

11725Flyer

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:29 pm

Now that advertisers are fleeing his show, let's see how long he can hold on.

https://www.axios.com/companies-pulling ... 82807.html

Channex757

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:56 pm

11725Flyer wrote:

The signs are not good. Murdoch apparently hates him, and his main cover Roger Ailes has been dispatched. That leaves BillO The Clown extremely exposed at Fox Noise.

NIKV69

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:10 pm

11725Flyer wrote:

He has been the most watch show every month for going on 16 years. I think he will survive.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

LittleFokker

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:31 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
11725Flyer wrote:

He has been the most watch show every month for going on 16 years. I think he will survive.

Ratings mean nothing if advertisers won't sponsor the show.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

NIKV69

Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:46 am

LittleFokker wrote:

Typical knee jerk reaction from the sponsors when the MSM screams for his head. It will blow over and they will return. Just like Bill Clinton, he did same thing and you and the left celebrate him never once calling for his demise.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

BobPatterson

Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:38 pm

seb146 wrote:

No. In order to have a civilized debate you need civilized participants.

You fail the test. Think about it.

Cheers
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

doug_or

Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:06 am

Play him out.
When in doubt, one B pump off

WarRI1

Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:35 am

NIKV69 wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:

Typical knee jerk reaction from the sponsors when the MSM screams for his head. It will blow over and they will return. Just like Bill Clinton, he did same thing and you and the left celebrate him never once calling for his demise.

Just read, Fox to open investigation of Big Bill, and I do not mean Clinton. About time.

seb146

Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:36 am

BobPatterson wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Cheers

And when who knows how many people just parrot the same tripe because they heard it from "fair and balanced" that fails the test. Besides, I was going down the "but 'liberals' do it too" rabbit hole. Then maybe you righties should stop doing it if you all hate it so much...

BobPatterson

Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:11 pm

seb146 wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Cheers

And when who knows how many people just parrot the same tripe because they heard it from "fair and balanced" that fails the test. Besides, I was going down the "but 'liberals' do it too" rabbit hole. Then maybe you righties should stop doing it if you all hate it so much...

You have attempted to write three sentences (kind of) here. You did not stop to consider whether they contained coherent thoughts. I'm not asking that you parse what you write to perfect your English. But I do ask you to at least ask yourself how you can have "civilized" debate using semi-literate language.

When you recognize that what you write is gibberish and nonsense you might think about taking a remedial course in English composition at night school. Don't be concerned whether the teacher is a conservative, liberal or middle-of-the-roader. Proper English is apolitical.

I wish you much success.

DLFREEBIRD
Topic Author

Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:15 pm

Nothing wrong with what they wrote. Most polyglot have learned to get to the point quickly. nitpicking someone English on a multicultural global discussion board is rather mean and definitely pointless. Most people are here because they are interested in hearing world views so of course MOST people posting English will be their second or third language. .

cledaybuck

Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:47 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
I just don't get in this day and age, why a network like Fox wouldn't just clean house to protect their brand.and image. especially after the Roger Ailes era
Are we sure this isn't part of their brand and image?

BobPatterson

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:25 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
Nothing wrong with what they wrote. Most polyglot have learned to get to the point quickly. nitpicking someone English on a multicultural global discussion board is rather mean and definitely pointless. Most people are here because they are interested in hearing world views so of course MOST people posting English will be their second or third language. .

Do try to take time to understand the matter upon which you are about to comment.

This has nothing to do with a polyglot or person for whom English is a second language.

Have a nice day.

MaverickM11

Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:38 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Just like Bill Clinton, he did same thing and you and the left celebrate him never once calling for his demise.

Now I am not a lawyer, but does the "but Clinton" defense work in a court? Can you sexually assault a colleague or call your female coworkers up while clearly masturbating, and then say "but Clinton" and it all goes away? And if impeachment was appropriate for Clinton lying about a consensual sexual incident, what is an appropriate punishment for $13M worth of sexual assault and beating the hell out of one's wife? Or multiple accusations of assault, rape, walking in on underage girls, and admitted pussy grabbing? You don't have to answer; conservatives have long made it crystal clear they're super down w/ sexual assault when it's one of them. In fact the people behind the National Prayer breakfast have been involved in smoothing things over for three GOP politicians who stuck their dick where it don't belong. #praiseHim!
E pur si muove -Galileo

WarRI1

Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:58 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Just like Bill Clinton, he did same thing and you and the left celebrate him never once calling for his demise.

Now I am not a lawyer, but does the "but Clinton" defense work in a court? Can you sexually assault a colleague or call your female coworkers up while clearly masturbating, and then say "but Clinton" and it all goes away? And if impeachment was appropriate for Clinton lying about a consensual sexual incident, what is an appropriate punishment for $13M worth of sexual assault and beating the hell out of one's wife? Or multiple accusations of assault, rape, walking in on underage girls, and admitted pussy grabbing? You don't have to answer; conservatives have long made it crystal clear they're super down w/ sexual assault when it's one of them. In fact the people behind the National Prayer breakfast have been involved in smoothing things over for three GOP politicians who stuck their dick where it don't belong. #praiseHim!

Sounds like the Governor, now resigned of Alabama. A Republican, heavens!!! "But Clinton did it" obviously did not work for him..

seb146

Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:58 am

BobPatterson wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:

Do try to take time to understand the matter upon which you are about to comment.

This has nothing to do with a polyglot or person for whom English is a second language.

Have a nice day.

Prey tell, what is it about? You seem to be the smartest guy in the room, so enlighten us, please.

bgm

Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:04 am

Dutchy wrote:

Wow, Billy-O was doing the 'alternative facts' thing before it was a thing.

BobPatterson

Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:28 am

seb146 wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:

Have a nice day.

Prey tell, what is it about? You seem to be the smartest guy in the room, so enlighten us, please.

Pray get out get out a dictionary. You need not be semi-literate or incapable of cogent thought.

That's what it's about.

seb146

Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:17 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
seb146 wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:

Have a nice day.

Pray get out get out a dictionary. You need not be semi-literate or incapable of cogent thought.

That's what it's about.

Ah... I see: you do not agree with my opinion but have no actual solid reasoning why, so you attack my grammar. Got it. We are done here.

nwadeicer

Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:33 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
seb146 wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:

That's what it's about.

Cool, never seen anyone stutter type before. Hey Bob!
I miss the Red Tail

BobPatterson

Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:41 pm

seb146 wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
seb146 wrote:

That's what it's about.

Ah... I see: you do not agree with my opinion but have no actual solid reasoning why, so you attack my grammar. Got it. We are done here.

Oh, how I wish you really were done here.

You refuse to look at what you wrote and discover that you wrote gibberish, a string of words that can't serve as "opinion". That is, unless you want your opinion to have no meaning.

I apologize for the double "get out". One get out should be enough

Get out.

BobPatterson

Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:44 pm

nwadeicer wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
seb146 wrote:

That's what it's about.

Cool, never seen anyone stutter type before. Hey Bob!

I really do take time to proof read, both before and after posting. It's amazing how you can miss what ought to be the most obvious errors.

Stutter type :-) I love it!

bgm

Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:23 pm

Seems Billy-O found the United saga rather amusing, and couldn't contain his laughter. Wonder if he would be laughing if it was his sorry, saggy ass that was hauled out of a plane...

http://toofab.com/2017/04/11/bill-oreil ... -laughing/

Calder

Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:55 pm

Mr. O'Reilly is popular because he is good at his job.

I disagree with just about everything he says, and I bet if he were being honest he would disagree with a lot of what he says too.

The man is an entertainer, not a newscaster. Check his credentials, he's not as stupid as one would think.
C. T.

WarRI1

Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:47 am

Calder wrote:
Mr. O'Reilly is popular because he is good at his job.

I disagree with just about everything he says, and I bet if he were being honest he would disagree with a lot of what he says too.

The man is an entertainer, not a newscaster. Check his credentials, he's not as stupid as one would think.

I will second that, he is an entertainer and smart as his bottom line surely shows. The unfortunate part is how divisive he is to this country in the pursuit of notoriety and wealth.

seb146

Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:22 am

BobPatterson wrote:
seb146 wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:

That's what it's about.

Oh, how I wish you really were done here.

You refuse to look at what you wrote and discover that you wrote gibberish, a string of words that can't serve as "opinion". That is, unless you want your opinion to have no meaning.

I apologize for the double "get out". One get out should be enough

Get out.

I will not "get out" just because you tell me to. Just because you can not (don't want to?) go back and quote what I said and ask for an explanation, that is on you. Instead, you get all high and mighty and think you are talking down to me when, in reality, you sound insane.

It is okay to ask questions. It is okay to think. I know they discourage that in the Republican party, but you really can think for yourself. Your mind is a safe space. This is your last chance to ask questions, otherwise, you need to get outside. You are spending too much time in mommy's basement. Get some sleep, get some fresh air and sunshine. Read a book. Eat a salad. Drink some water. Reset your mind and body.

And calm down.

BobPatterson

Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:09 am

seb146 wrote:

I will not "get out" just because you tell me to. Just because you can not (don't want to?) go back and quote what I said and ask for an explanation, that is on you. Instead, you get all high and mighty and think you are talking down to me when, in reality, you sound insane.

It is okay to ask questions. It is okay to think. I know they discourage that in the Republican party, but you really can think for yourself. Your mind is a safe space. This is your last chance to ask questions, otherwise, you need to get outside. You are spending too much time in mommy's basement. Get some sleep, get some fresh air and sunshine. Read a book. Eat a salad. Drink some water. Reset your mind and body.

And calm down.

There is no explanation for what you said:

seb146 wrote:
"This is why we can not have civilized debate in this country."

You are the "uncivilized debater" who needs to hurl terms such as "righties" and spout utter nonsense and gibberish. Mommy's basement?

When you do write sensibly I compliment you. It actually happened once. I know you can do it again.

Do try.

seb146

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:02 am

BobPatterson wrote:
seb146 wrote:

And calm down.

There is no explanation for what you said:

seb146 wrote:
"This is why we can not have civilized debate in this country."

You are the "uncivilized debater" who needs to hurl terms such as "righties" and spout utter nonsense and gibberish. Mommy's basement?

When you do write sensibly I compliment you. It actually happened once. I know you can do it again.

Do try.

Let's go back and see how many times you use the word "liberal" shall we? Because you are a newbie to this site, you should be forgiven for your attitude. There is a reason I use the word "rightie." You could have asked in a civilized manner but no. And I will be a bad person on the same level and say "if you don't know, I won't tell you!"

BobPatterson

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:51 am

seb146 wrote:
Let's go back and see how many times you use the word "liberal" shall we? Because you are a newbie to this site, you should be forgiven for your attitude. There is a reason I use the word "rightie." You could have asked in a civilized manner but no. And I will be a bad person on the same level and say "if you don't know, I won't tell you!"

By all means, go right ahead and count all the times I've used the word liberal. Just remember to count separately those times when I called myself a "social liberal".

I'll be very interested in your results after searching through 943 posts.

11725Flyer

Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:30 am

I'm not too sure it matters anymore. He's on"vacation" and probably won't be back. I wonder who will replace him.