Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BobPatterson

Re: Single Word or short Phrase you Hate

Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:48 pm

falstaff wrote:
I can't stand the word "Queue". It isn't commonly used in US English, but I hear it all the time when I travel in Europe. In the US we would say were were waiting in line, not in queue.

Depends where in the USA you happen to be. In some areas you wait ON line, not IN line.

cjg225

Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:22 pm

One of my colleagues recently has been *ending* each meeting she hosts by saying, "Okay, then we can convene the call," or something similar using the word "convene." I actually had to double-check to make sure I hadn't missed for my entire life that "convene" also means, "to end a gathering." Sure enough, it doesn't mean that, so... the more she uses it, the more irksome it becomes.

ER757

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:25 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
falstaff wrote:
I can't stand the word "Queue". It isn't commonly used in US English, but I hear it all the time when I travel in Europe. In the US we would say were were waiting in line, not in queue.

Depends where in the USA you happen to be. In some areas you wait ON line, not IN line.

And with everyone having smart phones these days, it's quite likely people are waiting on-line while they're waiting in line ;)

FTMCPIUS

Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:25 pm

Redouble (when you haven't doubled yet)

Further instead of farther

johns624

Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:53 pm

Toolbox or toolkit when it's talking about resources of help in an organization.
Snowflake.
I went to a Ukrainian Catholic grade school and church growing up with a lot of 1st and 2nd generation Ukrainian-Americans and they all referred to it as "The Ukraine".

BobPatterson

Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:44 pm

ER757 wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
falstaff wrote:

And with everyone having smart phones these days, it's quite likely people are waiting on-line while they're waiting in line ;)

Very interesting. Never having owned one of the new-fangled phones, that idea didn't occur to me.

You raise an important point about the evolution of language and our constant need for the creation of new words. Old fogies like me tend to dislike new jargon while knowing full well that we are going to lose in the battle to resist change.

michaelg90222

Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:09 am

Oh there are too many!

But the one that really makes me want to punch the perpetrator repeatedly in the face is "lush".

"This meal is lush"

:tapedshut:

No it is not lush. It is good, satisfactory, nice, amazing, tasty. Any adjective you can think of. But it is NOT lush.

Im not sure if this is a thing outside the UK as ive never noticed it abroad.

Like with many of our modern social stereotypes in this country, I blame The Only Way is Essex.

BobPatterson

Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:56 am

michaelg90222 wrote:
Oh there are too many!

But the one that really makes me want to punch the perpetrator repeatedly in the face is "lush".

"This meal is lush"

:tapedshut:

No it is not lush. It is good, satisfactory, nice, amazing, tasty. Any adjective you can think of. But it is NOT lush.

Im not sure if this is a thing outside the UK as ive never noticed it abroad.

Like with many of our modern social stereotypes in this country, I blame The Only Way is Essex.

One can easily see that "lush", in the sense of a tasty meal, could be derived from "luscious" (having a delicious taste or smell).

But, to my surprise, my Webster's 9th Collegiate Dictionary also lists "lush" with definitions:

2a. Savory, Delicious
2b. Appealing to the senses.

Now, if you DRINK your meal, that can open another can of worms.

Cheers

BobPatterson

Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:04 pm

Plates........ meaning "drives in (plates) a run", or "scores (plates) the runner from second base", or "the squeeze play brings home (plates) Patterson from third".

This cutesy term is already a trite expression on the Major League Baseball website, and was used in several captions for short videos of the Washington Ntionals vs. New York Mets game last night. WSH@NYM: Zimmerman's single plates third run for Nats is an example.

Walk-off....... Too bad it doesn't replace the equally silly use of "Walk-off". You can have a walk-off home run, walk-off double, and even a walk-off walk (which happened in a Nats-Mets game) when the pitcher issues a walk with the bases loaded. It might make sense if used only when a scoring event ends the game and one team gets to walk off the field with a victory. Alas, baseball writing/announcing is not that simple.

Time to get my popcorn ready for tonight's game. Go NATS....make it six-in-a-row for the road trip!

11725Flyer

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:21 am

Reengineer
Paradigm shift
My bad
Snap

ER757

Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:28 am

"network" when used as a verb. Example from a story on the local news tonight - they were talking to a guy about starting a carpool from his office and he said it's a great chance to "network with my fellow employees while on the ride home."

Braybuddy

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:32 am

11725Flyer wrote:
Paradigm shift
My bad

:checkmark:
:checkmark:

Aviaphile

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:18 am

Certain people in the UK who say, "I was sat there" or "I was stood waiting for a bus." instead of sitting and standing. Seems to be getting more and more common too! And it doesn't happen anywhere else in the English speaking world.

Also hate people being described as icons or stalwarts

ogre727

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:37 am

I don't know why, but it really irritates me when people confuse than and then..... like I am smarter then this..... FFS!

Aeroflot001

Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:57 am

Ointment

Using "Cali" for California
Cali is a city of 2.4 million in Colombia