Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

readytotaxi
Topic Author

All Indian airlines ban an MP for slipper attack.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:18 pm

When this guy was unable to get a business class seat, he hit the airline employee with his slipper.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-39377110

Air India, which filed a complaint on Thursday, said Mr Gaikwad was banned on all flights operated by the Federation of Indian Airlines (FIA).
Criminal charges must follow. :checkmark:

PerfectGriffin

Re: All Indian airlines ban an MP for slipper attack.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:25 pm

Good. Hope he gets punished or sued as well.

dtw2hyd

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:37 pm

Unfortunately nothing will happen.

bennett123

Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:31 pm

The indignity of it, having to sit with the plebs.

Shame on AI for not appreciating his true status.

:)

anshabhi

Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:55 am

https://twitter.com/ANI_news/status/844959966205263872

Unedited footage of the incident.

It was now non-existent Shiv Sena clout on airport worker's unions which led to this MP thinking he will get away with it.
On the contrary, Air India pilots union denied to fly any aircraft carrying him!

Unique show of unity among all 7 airlines of India.

CanadaFair

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:04 am

Stewardess seems to be holding the AI man at fault too.

usflyer msp

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:18 am

I am really confused by this incident. What was the MP expecting the AI staff to do - make Business Class appear from thin air? If the plane is one-class, he needs to shut up and deal with it. What a jerk.

If I was that AI employee, it would be "bring your cricket bat to work day" the next time that MP was flying through...

anshabhi

Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:10 am

usflyer msp wrote:
I am really confused by this incident. What was the MP expecting the AI staff to do - make Business Class appear from thin air? If the plane is one-class, he needs to shut up and deal with it. What a jerk.

If I was that AI employee, it would be "bring your cricket bat to work day" the next time that MP was flying through...

He wanted to meet entire AI top management including CMD to ensure he gets business class on every flight thereafter.

Ironically, he has become the first person in India's aviation history to be put on an unofficial "no-flyers list".

@CanadaFair what you are seeing is after he kept the aircraft on hold for 40 minutes and beat AI employee with slippers 25 times.

lightsaber

Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:31 am

What I love is the statements noting AI would be investigated for banning this assailant.

I like how AI is justifying the permanent ban on the MP's safety. Past due for AI to create a no-fly list.

Lightsaber

BawliBooch

Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:42 am

CanadaFair wrote:
Stewardess seems to be holding the AI man at fault too.

No. Actually the senior stewardess is berating the MP and asking him to respect his post. She handled it very well.

usflyer msp wrote:

2 of the 3 daily flights that Air India has on the route have 2 class aircraft. AI 849 is an A321 while AI 853 is either a 2 class A320 (EDx series) or 2 class A319 (SCx). The MP held an open Business Class ticket and was originally scheduled to fly on AI849. For some reason he changed his mind at the last minute to fly the earlier AI852 which does not have business class. Why he did so is a question no journalist is ready to ask.

dtw2hyd wrote:
Unfortunately nothing will happen.

The media cycle attention was focussed on this non-incident allowing the key amendments to the Finance Bill which legalises political corruption to go unreported. One week and this MP will be flying again. And the media cycle will have moved on to the next outrage.

KiloRomeoDelta

Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:30 am

Just when Air India did the right thing, looks like it may not end well for them. The leader of the party this piece-of-garbage MP belongs to has, instead of punishing him, announced they will punish AI for "disrespecting" him. Since AI is government owned, and the party (Shiv Sena) has sizeable clout in the Parliament, chances are they will get away with their arrogance.

dtw2hyd

Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:54 pm

usflyer msp wrote:

Apparently for almost a year, even though AI operated all economy equipment on this route, they were issuing business class ticket every time and sending out equipment swap notification. He probably was pissed off and want to settle this issue for once, obviously the wrong way.

Could be just a systems issue.

anshabhi

Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:07 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Apparently for almost a year, even though AI operated all economy equipment on this route, they were issuing business class ticket every time and sending out equipment swap notification. He probably was pissed off and want to settle this issue for once, obviously the wrong way.

Could be just a systems issue.

Oh that's some new info.. Can you provide some source?
I heard that the MP's office was informed a day earlier that the aircraft is all Economy..

BobPatterson

Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:08 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
The media cycle attention was focussed on this non-incident allowing the key amendments to the Finance Bill which legalises political corruption to go unreported. One week and this MP will be flying again. And the media cycle will have moved on to the next outrage.

Non-incident?? Unworthy of public notice and censure of the cretin politician?

Air India is setting a good example by banning and punishing this behavior for life, and also for their recent actions in support of women traveling alone.

Amendments can be reported when there is space available. This was important news.

dtw2hyd

Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:46 pm

anshabhi wrote:
I heard that the MP's office was informed a day earlier that the aircraft is all Economy..

If you travel same route 10 times a year, and every time one day before you get equipment/booking class change e-mail/text how would you feel.

His complaint may be very valid, but his behavior totally inappropriate. Don't turn this on me.

KiloRomeoDelta

Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:57 pm

anshabhi wrote:
Today AI has a very strong leadership, lead by Mr Ashwani Lohani. He will resign if their is political pressure on AI.

This is what I am afraid of. Ashwani Lohani is doing really good work for improving the service and reputation of AI, and if he resigns over this incident, Shiv Sena would be happy to see that- they are the kind of sadistic chaps who will find happiness and revenge in seeing the airline burn.

BawliBooch

Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:47 am

BobPatterson wrote:

Air India is setting a good example by banning and punishing this behavior for life, and also for their recent actions in support of women traveling alone.

Amendments can be reported when there is space available. This was important news.

Amendments made to Finance Bill that legalise corruption are LESS important than a case of air-rage by an entitled MP who is part of the ruling coalition?

BawliBooch

Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:53 am

Slap-artist Gaikwad may get away lightly

In the given circumstances and statements by the Shiv Sena leaders, it looks clear that Ravindra Gaikwad might get away lightly, and might not face any party action.

Sources within the party told the correspondent that the party cannot afford to snub him. “He has been instrumental in expanding and retaining Shiv Sena’s foothold in Osmanabad. He has been getting elected from there for consecutive terms. Earlier, he was the MLA twice. Now, he is an MP. His clout in the area is so much that nobody else can stand in front of him. He snatched that area from the Nationalist Congress Party, and brought it to the Sena. He continues to keep the Sena flag flying high there. So it is difficult to initiate any action against him,” a senior Shiv Sena leader told The Sunday Guardian on the condition of anonymity.

In an exemplary action, the Federation of Indian Airlines and Air India issued a joint statement declaring ban on the parliamentarian. Besides Air India, the airlines that will not allow Gaikwad to fly are IndiGo, Jet Airways, SpiceJet, Go Air, AirAsia and Vistara.

“Air India and the member airlines of the Federation of Indian Airlines (FIA) that includes IndiGo, Jet Airways, SpiceJet and Go Air, condemn the assault on an Air India staff member by a passenger who happens to be a Member of Parliament on March 23, 2017. The airlines demand that strict action be taken against the Member of Parliament by law enforcement agencies. We believe that an assault on any one of our employees is an assault on all of us and on ordinary law abiding citizens of our country who work hard to earn a living,” said Ujjwal Dey, Associate Director of Federation of Indian Airlines.

The Federation of Indian Airlines has banned the MP from flying. But signs are that political pressure from the Central Govt may just see the ban rescinded before the week is out. While the supposed ban on Gaekwad is being milked for PR value, doubt news of the ban being withdrawn will make news.

I will report it ofcourse! :)

BobPatterson

Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:28 am

BawliBooch wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:

Amendments made to Finance Bill that legalise corruption are LESS important than a case of air-rage by an entitled MP who is part of the ruling coalition?

Maybe we are dealing with culturally different usages of words. Forgive me if that is the case. BUT.....

An "entitled MP"? Entitled to what? He is surely not entitled to beat people.

If that had happened in the USA, a member of Congress would be promptly censured (by Congress) and quite likely would have resigned.

If I understand you correctly, you are upset that the media in India have given this incidence important coverage. What if that meant that article length regarding the "Amendments" was reduced or delayed until the next day?

Should the grossly improper behavior by this MP have been swept under the rug?

He deserves dismissal from Parliament and perhaps 30 days in jail.

BawliBooch

Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:40 am

BobPatterson wrote:

An "entitled MP"? Entitled to what? He is surely not entitled to beat people.

Entitled means the belief that he is above & superior to all else and that everyone around should bow down to his whims & fancies. Common problem with politicians in our part of the world.

BobPatterson wrote:
If that had happened in the USA, a member of Congress would be promptly censured (by Congress) and quite likely would have resigned.

Exactly! But we dont see that happening. Even the semi-formal ban imposed by the Federation of Indian Airlines is all set to be removed. And then what?

BobPatterson wrote:
If I understand you correctly, you are upset that the media in India have given this incidence important coverage. What if that meant that article length regarding the "Amendments" was reduced or delayed until the next day?

The media in India works on "news cycles" with a dominant theme in each. Important items that need to get front page coverage are buried or swept aside in the torrent of fake outrage. The current govt has mastered the art of creating diversions at each key moment to ensure a new outrage moment every time they have some key legislation to sneak past the people.

Whether its the destruction of Panna Tiger Reserve, or the writing off of loans to Modi's cronies like Adani, or the 4G auctions - all buried under some or the other "outrage for the day" news item. If it matters, the MP in question is a member of the Coalition that rules India.

BobPatterson wrote:
He deserves dismissal from Parliament and perhaps 30 days in jail.

I agree. But that is one thing that is not happening. I guarantee the MP will be flying before the end of the week.

PS: The MP in question was previously notorious for having stormed into the MP canteen and force-fed a Muslim worker who was fasting for Ramzan. In that case, it was because the MP did not like the Chapati's being served for lunch.

anshabhi

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:11 am

Indian government supports ban on MP:

Violence of any kind can be disastrous for airlines: Government on Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad's bad behaviour

http://timesofindia.com/india/violence- ... 851613.cms

Unfortunately, we are India not US. Dismissing an MP isn't as easy, and no Indian was expecting it either. Neither is he going to be arrested ever.
But, the airline ban will stay.

BawliBooch

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:21 am

anshabhi wrote:
Unfortunately, we are India not US. Dismissing an MP isn't as easy, and no Indian was expecting it either. Neither is he going to be arrested ever.
But, the airline ban will stay.

Sure! You just proved that you are clueless about Parliamentary Procedures. Thank you for once more demonstrating your ignorance.

The law clearly laws down the procedures by which an MP can be suspended. It is clearly within the Speakers prerogative to do so.

But the "strong and powerful" Dear Leader still finds it impossible to suspend a member of the ruling coalition who misbehaved. Not even when he has absolute majority in Parliament! Clearly shows his stand on misbehaving MP's.

anshabhi wrote:
This is Going to cause funding cut for some journalist!

Ha ha! Sure! Bash my community for calling out your ignorance.

PS: Lets place a bet that this ban on the MP flying is lifted within the next 10 days! Deal?

Blimpie

Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:35 pm

I swear to Eris, when I read the headline I expected a link to an article from The Onion. Only in the 21st century would this make the news.

anshabhi

Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:56 pm

BawliBooch wrote:

PS: Lets place a bet that this ban on the MP flying is lifted within the next 10 days! Deal?

Take this UPI QR code to pay me ₹50. I won't give you anything if you win ;)

BawliBooch

Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:08 pm

anshabhi wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:
Take this UPI QR code to pay me ₹50. I won't give you anything if you win ;)

Ok! Enough fun time on the internet!

Shouldnt you be getting back to your homework? :)

dtw2hyd

Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:19 pm

Few reasons why nothing will happen to this guy and will be flying soon.

1) India has no no-fly list. Airlines may have used some air circular to force him not to fly, but collective ban may face some legal issue
2) Parliament speaker already set stage for no-action by saying this happened "outside parliament"
3) Opportunistic government. 2014 this party was an ally, almost got the MoCA, fought even after MoCA was given to some other ally. If BJP needs votes/seats he may very well be next MoCA.
4) His party controls lot of airline unions particularly in Mumbai, AI employees use this party to rail against AI management, and no airline will go far enough to cause an industrial action.
5) His party members are known to harass any one against their ideology.
6) Any local station manager can override the ban and let him fly.

The only way Indian can force pax to behave properly is to put them on FAA no-fly list. They care more about flying to/from and within America.

BawliBooch

Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:36 pm

Well, despite some 15 year old's on the forum insisting that things are different now because Dear Leader means business, evidence points to more of the same!

Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad May Soon Fly Again, Rules May Change

But after declaring that there can be no compromise on safety, the government is considering amending the Civil Aviation Requirement or CAR rules to "balance service and safety requirements", say sources, and restrict the powers of airlines to ban passengers.

Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan had suggested a rethink when she commented that a member "can't take a train every time" to attend parliament.

Ms Mahajan had a 45-minute meeting with Civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajapati Raju and Shiv Sena MPs after a row in the Lok Sabha.

That didnt take long!

anshabhi

Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:08 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Few reasons why nothing will happen to this guy and will be flying soon.

1) India has no no-fly list. Airlines may have used some air circular to force him not to fly, but collective ban may face some legal issue
2) Parliament speaker already set stage for no-action by saying this happened "outside parliament"
3) Opportunistic government. 2014 this party was an ally, almost got the MoCA, fought even after MoCA was given to some other ally. If BJP needs votes/seats he may very well be next MoCA.
4) His party controls lot of airline unions particularly in Mumbai, AI employees use this party to rail against AI management, and no airline will go far enough to cause an industrial action.
5) His party members are known to harass any one against their ideology.
6) Any local station manager can override the ban and let him fly.

The only way Indian can force pax to behave properly is to put them on FAA no-fly list. They care more about flying to/from and within America.

Points 3&4. Shiv Sena is losing poll after poll. Many people have predicted 2/3rd majority for BJP in 2019. Both fought municipality elections seperately. BJP defeated Shiv Sena almost everywhere.
AI has reigned in unions quite nicely. What was the last time when they caused any trouble?

AI is constitutionally an independent organization like PSU banks. A strong CMD can fight all the pressure from govt. Current MoCA Mr Jayant Sinha is from BJP only. IIT Delhi, University of Pennsylvania and Harvard is his alma matter.

BawliBooch wrote:
Well, despite some 15 year old's on the forum insisting that things are different now because Dear Leader means business, evidence points to more of the same!

Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad May Soon Fly Again, Rules May Change

Oh NDTV!! Barkha Dutt's company! The last one whom I expect to have "sources" in govt!!

dtw2hyd

Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:35 pm

anshabhi wrote:
Current MoCA Mr Jayant Sinha is from BJP only.

Either you don't even know who is MoCA, or recognize only one type.

BawliBooch

Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:40 pm

anshabhi wrote:
Oh NDTV!! Barkha Dutt's company! The last one whom I expect to have "sources" in govt!!

OMG! :roll:

dtw2hyd wrote:
anshabhi wrote:
Current MoCA Mr Jayant Sinha is from BJP only.

Either you don't even know who is MoCA, or recognize only one type.

Perhaps its time for ANET to consider an age-restriction for accessing the forum.

lightsaber

Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:05 pm

I really hope the flight ban is not rescended. If so, if will show the world there is no restraint on the GoI.

The whole video is online. This is a test of rule of law.

drgmobile

Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:28 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
When this guy was unable to get a business class seat, he hit the airline employee with his slipper.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-39377110

Air India, which filed a complaint on Thursday, said Mr Gaikwad was banned on all flights operated by the Federation of Indian Airlines (FIA).
Criminal charges must follow. :checkmark:

Hmmmm.... According to its website, the Federation of Indian Airlines doesn't include Air-India as a member. It's members include Jet Airways, Go, Indigo and SpiceJet

racist

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:05 pm

Bureaucracy again is working against the tide and the fat cats rule ultimately. Reminds of the sars incident when a number of pilots and crew didnt want to fly in the sar zone and get heavily reprimanded by the government and the airline. Some Pilots and crew lost their jobs. Some never worked again. Why they think it is in anyway ok to raise a hand to anotger being and than add insult to injury by turning a blind eye. Racism in the form oc class and status. Abhorrent.

unrave

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:07 pm

Shiv Sena - A party of the goons and for the goons. I don't think this ban would last more than 2 weeks.

anshabhi

Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:04 am

In past 24 hours: AI has cancelled 2 tickets of this MP. For some unknown reasons, he travelled by car from Mumbai to Delhi (over 1400 km). He had booked 3 tickets in a train however.

Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad travels by car to Delhi
http://toi.in/PTikNZ/a19ei

VTORD

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:24 pm

Just read somewhere that the Sena is moving a privilege motion in parliament against AI. Now I don't exactly know what a privilege motion does but the speaker is asking for "facts" from the MoCA.

Looks like AI is selling business class tickets on all 3 PNQ-DEL flights (I tried a dummy booking) and they are not cheap a week in advance. So the question is:
1. Did they sell him a ticket knowing that it was all-Y flight. That's cheating....so he's got a crutch if not a leg to stand on
2. Was it an equipment change/sub by AI and did they offer to refund his money when they informed him that the flight did not have a business class? If not again...at least a crutch
3. Did the MP change his flight in which case, I have not idea what AI's fare policy is.

There is a pretty damning video of this guy doing what AI has accused him of (hence the crutch) so that behavior is certainly not justified but I wouldn't put it past AI to not screw up either.

dtw2hyd

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:18 pm

This guy at-least studied aviation regulations before pulling this stunt which got out of control, DGCA circular deals with unruly passengers in air against crew. He was polite with crew but went berserk when duty manager showed up.

There seems to be no DGCA regulations to deal with unruly pax while on ground with ground staff. Incredible India.

BawliBooch

Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:02 am

VTORD wrote:
1. Did they sell him a ticket knowing that it was all-Y flight. That's cheating....so he's got a crutch if not a leg to stand on

The MP did not buy a ticket. He had one of those "open tickets" issued to MP's flying to & from their constituencies. He was originally confirmed to fly on AI850, which departs at 1840 which is operated by an A321 which has business class seats. One day before departure, he changed his flight to the morning 0730 departure which is either operated by an all-Y A320 or A319 with business class on alternate days. AI call center had informed him of the non-availability of J class on AI853 flight but the MP flew anyway.

BawliBooch

Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:12 am

Govt bows to Shiv Sena, asks Air India to let MP Ravindra Gaikwad fly
Note how one week ago, the PR network was spinning it to make it look like the ban was all a result of Dear Leader's strong leadership! The script has changed now with the climbdown: its the Ministry that has backed down. :roll:

This is what I had bet last week.
BawliBooch wrote:

The tamasha over this MP helped take media attention away from the finance Bill which legalised political corruption. With the job done, there is no reason to continue with the ban on the MP who is from an allied party.

Until the next outrage people!