Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BestWestern
Topic Author

WSJ: if [pres trump] doesn’t show more respect for the truth most Americans may conclude he’s a fake President,"

Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:03 pm

Earlier this week I asked the question - has Trump become a lame duck president??

This is what the WSJ editorial board has to say about his credibility:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... edibility#

"If President Trump announces that North Korea launched a missile that landed within 100 miles of Hawaii, would most Americans believe him?" the editorial stated.

"We’re not sure, which speaks to the damage that Mr. Trump is doing to his Presidency with his seemingly endless stream of exaggerations, evidence-free accusations, implausible denials and other falsehoods."

'The publication also knocked Trump for repeating an unsubstantiated assertion by a Fox News commentator that a British intelligence agency had helped Obama with wiretaps, while expressing wonder that he would stick to his position.

"Yet the President clings to his assertion like a drunk to an empty gin bottle, rolling out his press spokesman to make more dubious claims," the editors write.

Tough words from a GOP leaning newspaper.

Let's see how many GOP vote down his healthcare plan. If the plan fails, perhaps he has become a lame duck already.....

einsteinboricua

Re: WSJ: if [pres trump] doesn’t show more respect for the truth most Americans may conclude he’s a fake President,"

Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:35 pm

I think it's too early to say that people will think Trump will be a fake president. He can literally shoot someone, and there will be supporters who will blame the victim because they either had it coming (for whatever reason) or they were in the way and Trump didn't mean to shoot them. And as long as the GOP needs someone gullible to pass their agenda, they'll keep making excuses.

If Trump is impeached, it'll be because the GOP-led Congress feels the need to save its butt and/or they're not gonna get anything else that they need. If polls show Democrats in strong position to win elections next year, expect calls from Republicans to make a push to "investigate", even if it doesn't lead anywhere (especially if they keep their majority). I just hope that if Democrats do win bigly in the midterms, they force Republicans to live with their choice (ie. no investigations despite their calls...or at least, no resolution until after the 2020 election).

BestWestern wrote:
'The publication also knocked Trump for repeating an unsubstantiated assertion by a Fox News commentator that a British intelligence agency had helped Obama with wiretaps, while expressing wonder that he would stick to his position.

I liked how Trump threw Fox News under the bus.

"Oh it wasn't me who said it. I was just repeating a claim by Fox News...ask them"

Sean Spicer also was defensive and tried to deflect (even after reading said article). I'm sure Melissa McCarthy has more stuff to work with for her next appearance at SNL.

Flighty

Re: WSJ: if [pres trump] doesn’t show more respect for the truth most Americans may conclude he’s a fake President,"

Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:35 pm

I think this is healthy. If he lacked a reason to say that, he should blur and dither away from it. Everybody lies. Usually they lie about their intentions and beliefs, rather than facts.

It seems DT got burned on this issue, and when he gets burned, he may learn something and that would be healthy for everybody. He often tells the truth about his intentions and beliefs, because maybe he is simple. He perceives things with his instincts, which are not bad (got him to the presidency). But, he seems to be fact-challenged quite often. I hope he keeps his instincts but avoids trapping himself in lies / untrue conclusions, which again would be good for everybody.

I think his intentions aren't bad. I think the Russian traitor thing is mostly nonsense, with some truth crumbs in it. The American electoral voters wanted a junkyard dog to tear up a number of things, and naturally it will upset some people. That is by design. The CIA, FBI, and other bureaucracies exist to please the American people and for no other purpose. Not the other way around.
Last edited by Flighty on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

330west

Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:54 pm

Fake news! Those New York liberals don't know nuttin. How's your portfolio doing?

tommy1808

Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:35 pm

Flighty wrote:
It seems DT got burned on this issue, and when he gets burned, he may learn something and that would be healthy for everybody.

And I was always thinking I am an optimist. He learned so much that he tweeted lies while everybody could see live on TV he is lying just yesterday.
He is simply not capabe to tell fact from fiction and critique his sources. I mean he is getting news from a guy that thinks Sandy hook was a government false flag operation...

Best regards
Thomas

jetwet1

Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:07 pm

330west wrote:
Fake news! Those New York liberals don't know nuttin. How's your portfolio doing?

Mine is fine, I got out of the market once the 20% tariff idea started floating around....

NIKV69

Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:08 pm

More propaganda and fearmongering designed to take people's eyes off the ball. You can call him fake all you want. Truth is he is the real deal and he is the president. If you want to infer that we shouldn't believe what he says and give him less credibility because the MSM says so you are just as mentally unhinged as they are.

wingman

Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:35 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
More propaganda and fearmongering designed to take people's eyes off the ball. You can call him fake all you want. Truth is he is the real deal and he is the president. If you want to infer that we shouldn't believe what he says and give him less credibility because the MSM says so you are just as mentally unhinged as they are.

So now the editorial board of the Wall Street Journal is also unhinged? All they're saying is the truth, the President cannot stop lying through his fucking teeth nearly every single day of the week and that that is in fact very damaging to the prospects of advancing the same conservative agenda that the Wall Street Journal has been dreaming of since the day Ron Ron left office. Just an FYI, the WSJ is about the most respected right-wing news organization in the country. They back the GOP nearly 100% and serve as a very cogent, even if I have to admit disagreeable to me personally, mouthpiece for conservative voters. But like any intelligent conservative they are admitting that the country has a problem in Trump. If anyone or anything is unhinged, it's him. When Comey and MI-6 say in plain English that our President is a lying sack of shit on the same morning and that same sack of shit and his press secretary double down on the shit sack later in the day, well don't you think maybe there's something wrong with the sack itself?

BestWestern
Topic Author

Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:54 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

For the WSJ editorial board to question the credibility of President Trump is huge Hopefully you understand that this is a huge huge blow for him.

einsteinboricua

Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:18 pm

wingman wrote:
well don't you think maybe there's something wrong with the sack itself?

Probably not...for reasons that are yet unexplained.

Everything conservatives stoked about Hillary is becoming real with Trump: in bed with Wall Street, selling out to adversaries, reducing our standing in the world. They just won't admit it because either they're too proud to do so or they just want to relish 4 years with Republican control of government, country be damned.

seb146

Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:16 am

Does not matter. An old rich white guy with an (R) behind his name who says he is great will be believed by some, no matter what. That is already being proven.

Hillis

Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:25 am

seb146 wrote:
Does not matter. An old rich white guy with an (R) behind his name who says he is great will be believed by some, no matter what. That is already being proven.

The Messiah complex. And he encourages this kind of adulation, as did Hitler, Mussolini, and, to some degree, Stalin. All megalomaniacs share that trait.

ltbewr

Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:37 am

The WSJ is the leading newspaper of 'Wall Street'. I suspect the editors fear that President Trump* may say or do something (even more than he has already) to destabilize the financial markets in the near to medium future. While the 'stock market' is going strong for now overall, it may weaken in the next few months due to decisions on foreign policy like the ban on access to the USA of citizens of certain countries or the 'laptop ban' on certain flights from the ME.

BawliBooch

Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:11 am

NIKV69 wrote:

Agree! The liberal camp needs to smart-up in their campaign against DT if they need to win this battle. And they do, because America's future as a liberal democracy depends on it. So far the liberal media in the US has been scoring one self-goal after another. Ms.Maddow for example. Or Fareed Zakaria. They seem to be in total breakdown mode.

Get your act together people!

Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:23 am

BawliBooch wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Agree! The liberal camp needs to smart-up in their campaign against DT if they need to win this battle. And they do, because America's future as a liberal democracy depends on it. So far the liberal media in the US has been scoring one self-goal after another. Ms.Maddow for example. Or Fareed Zakaria. They seem to be in total breakdown mode.

America's future as a liberal democracy depends on the media?

No it doesn't. The people have chosen what they want. Hopefully Trump and the Republicans can find a way to keep themselves in power and reward their loyal supporters.

Think of it, 20 year terms, how good that would be. And all candidates in elections must be approved by the existing Government. It's a dream scenario.

BawliBooch

Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:28 am

cpd wrote:

I like to see the media as the conscience keepers in society. We have a job as journalists to ensure that peoples rights stay protected. That their voices get heard. Especially the voices of the economically or otherwise deprived.

If the media wont take on a dictator trampling on the constitution and peoples freedoms who will?

cpd wrote:
Think of it, 20 year terms, how good that would be. And all candidates in elections must be approved by the existing Government. It's a dream scenario.

Sarcasm? I hope!

seb146

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:03 am

BawliBooch wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Translation:

use small words, hold constant rallies, degrade the opposition, call all doubters liars and enemies of the state. Worked well in Russia and Germany and North Korea and Iran. So much better than this silly democracy thing....

BawliBooch

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:15 am

seb146 wrote:
Translation:

use small words, hold constant rallies, degrade the opposition, call all doubters liars and enemies of the state. Worked well in Russia and Germany and North Korea and Iran. So much better than this silly democracy thing....

Add India to the list. I get called anti-national, libtard, Presstitute and so on every day! :P

But I concede that some of my colleagues in the US have not been smart enough in their approach. Making the same mistakes we made here in India.

DT is smarter and more agile than most of us. We need to do some serious soul-searching.

Francoflier

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:53 am

ltbewr wrote:
The WSJ is the leading newspaper of 'Wall Street'. I suspect the editors fear that President Trump* may say or do something (even more than he has already) to destabilize the financial markets in the near to medium future. While the 'stock market' is going strong for now overall, it may weaken in the next few months due to decisions on foreign policy like the ban on access to the USA of citizens of certain countries or the 'laptop ban' on certain flights from the ME.

The markets always tend to respond favorably to GOP presidents.
What made them excited about Trump were his promises of massive tax cuts and deregulation.
The reality is proving that Trump had little idea what he was talking about and even less clue about how to go about doing all of that in a realistic and sustainable way.
Add to that his wild populist ideas about protectionism, anti-trade, the growing international tensions he will surely foster and the probable massive increase in deficit his policies will engender, and many economist are starting to wonder how this will all end...
Volatility will be high during the Trump delirium presidency.

BawliBooch wrote:
DT is smarter and more agile than most of us. We need to do some serious soul-searching.

He certainly knows how to take advantage of the weak minded and those easily impressionable. His past as an archetypal salesman has made sure he is immunized against the principles of integrity or honesty.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:05 am

BawliBooch wrote:
cpd wrote:

I like to see the media as the conscience keepers in society. We have a job as journalists to ensure that peoples rights stay protected. That their voices get heard. Especially the voices of the economically or otherwise deprived.

If the media wont take on a dictator trampling on the constitution and peoples freedoms who will?

cpd wrote:

Sarcasm? I hope!

Sometimes you have to give up freedoms for the good of the country. Like now. I remember this being a theme of the Republican supporters back when George W Bush was the leader, so it's time now for them to remember that, and they should give away those freedoms for a while, for the good of the country, to help in making America great again.

Think of how good it would be, twenty years of President Trump, his supporters will surely approve of that. What could possibly go wrong?

BawliBooch wrote:
cpd wrote:

Sarcasm? I hope!

Of course. :) Forgive me, I'm dosed up on cold and flu medications and coughing and wheezing...

tommy1808

Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:50 am

ltbewr wrote:
The WSJ is the leading newspaper of 'Wall Street'. I suspect the editors fear that President Trump* may say or do something (even more than he has already) to destabilize the financial markets in the near to medium future. .

Oh, you mean like he could suggest that the USA should default on its debts and join the ranks of trusted partners like Argentinia?

Wait... he already did tha. Which is probably at least partially why the stock market is climbing, interests rates for US bond papers do as well, as they have become more risky investments. Of course the tax payers are paying for it. As a normal citizen he would probably under investigation for stock market manipulation already.

best regards
Thomas

Aesma

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:13 am

BawliBooch wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

The WSJ is not in the liberal camp, that's why this is significant.

Markets have soared on expectations that Trump will lower taxes and regulations. He has not backpedaled on said promises, the only problem is that repealing Obamacare might take so much time that these other promises will take a bit of a backseat. Some people might start to think that it will never happen, or that other decisions Trump makes will be so bad for the economy that any expected gains from less taxes and regulations will be lost.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:55 am

Aesma wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

The WSJ is not in the liberal camp, that's why this is significant.

It's not that they aren't fairly conservative, it's just that conservative has now become far right wing extremist, so the traditional conservatives who advocate small government, economic freedom are now shouted down by these far right conservatives advocating big government interventions and excessive economic oversight. Just 5 years ago, these nouveau-conservative policies would have been shouted down by the right wing as "socialism" or "communism", yet they are now strangely quiet in that respect.

BestWestern
Topic Author

Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:10 am

A good example. Washington post and Fox News are now left of the government!

einsteinboricua

Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:46 pm

BestWestern wrote:
A good example. Washington post and Fox News are now left of the government!

WaPo has always been centrist-left. You're thinking about Washington Times (which is a conservative outlet).

seb146

Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:14 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Translation:

Add India to the list. I get called anti-national, libtard, Presstitute and so on every day! :P

But I concede that some of my colleagues in the US have not been smart enough in their approach. Making the same mistakes we made here in India.

That he can pull the wool over the eyes of some does not make him smart. We keep bringing up the fact that nearly 3,000,000 more voted for Hillary because nearly 3,000,000 more were smart enough to see this crook and liar for who he really is. We were screaming about his poor business dealings and his cronies dealings with Russia and his doing everything just so he can make a buck and how none of this would raise up the rest of us. But, like the saying goes, you CAN fool some of the people all of the time.

Hillis

Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:24 pm

He's looking more and more illegitimate with each passing day. His supporters in the nation and on here insist there's nothing to the Russian story, but this thing has legs, and I believe it's bigger than any of us originally believed. I could be wrong, I admit that. We still don't know enough to come to any conclusions. But the fact that the FBI is actively investigating, and that in many ways Congressional Republicans are actively trying to sabotage any hearings into the matter lead one to believe the connection isn't just incidental.

If it is found that there was major collusion, and let's say 45 has to resign, I think the election should be nullified, and a new one held in 2018. Again, this is only conjecture, but the whole administration would be seen as bogus, and the American people shouldn't have to accept the outcome of an election where a candidate had a foreign power actively helping him to win the White House.

But again, we don't know how far this is going. Unfortunately for his supporters, it isn't going away.

NIKV69

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:46 pm

wingman wrote:
So now the editorial board of the Wall Street Journal is also unhinged? All they're saying is the truth, the President cannot stop lying through his fucking teeth nearly every single day of the week and that that is in fact very damaging to the prospects of advancing the same conservative agenda that the Wall Street Journal has been dreaming of since the day Ron Ron left office. Just an FYI, the WSJ is about the most respected right-wing news organization in the country. They back the GOP nearly 100% and serve as a very cogent, even if I have to admit disagreeable to me personally, mouthpiece for conservative voters. But like any intelligent conservative they are admitting that the country has a problem in Trump. If anyone or anything is unhinged, it's him. When Comey and MI-6 say in plain English that our President is a lying sack of shit on the same morning and that same sack of shit and his press secretary double down on the shit sack later in the day, well don't you think maybe there's something wrong with the sack itself?

No they aren't. The far right media is just as bad as the far left. I am not a conservative. I am a moderate. I don't live on the fringe like you do. It's the reason we can't get anything done in congress. Both sides just spouting this toxic propaganda. You don't want to listen to Trump? Fine. Stop the smoke. The people that want real change don't care about it.

coolian2

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:25 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
I am not a conservative. I am a moderate.

Yet in another thread you claim "We won".

Hmmm?

NIKV69

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:29 pm

coolian2 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Hmmm?

Google Joe Manchin then Google Kamala Harris.

Two Democrats two people who couldn't be more polar opposite. Until this country gets a third party I have to vote for one or the other.

acentauri

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:18 am

IMO, Trump is moving this country (if we let him) into the initial stages of 1939 Germany.

tommy1808

Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:40 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
coolian2 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Hmmm?

Google Joe Manchin then Google Kamala Harris.

Two Democrats two people who couldn't be more polar opposite. Until this country gets a third party I have to vote for one or the other.

I don´t think you get the point he was making. You claimed "We won", when only the very far, disconnected from reality, right has one. Which you included yourself in by saying "We".

best regards
Thomas

NIKV69

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:57 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
I don´t think you get the point he was making. You claimed "We won", when only the very far, disconnected from reality, right has one. Which you included yourself in by saying "We".

best regards
Thomas

No as usual you didn't get the point and tried to explain how you did by inventing a fake scenario. People in the middle and on the far right won because even though Trump wasn't their first choice they had to vote for him since Hillary would have been a disaster. It's why she lost. If Cuomo would have run I would have voted for him and so would all of the middle and he would have won. If you understood politics you would understand.

seb146

Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:06 am

NIKV69 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

No as usual you didn't get the point and tried to explain how you did by inventing a fake scenario. People in the middle and on the far right won because even though Trump wasn't their first choice they had to vote for him since Hillary would have been a disaster. It's why she lost. If Cuomo would have run I would have voted for him and so would all of the middle and he would have won. If you understood politics you would understand.

People in "the middle" voted for either Hillary, Stein, or Johnson. Hillary won by nearly 3,000,000 votes. But, enough low information, right wing states banded together to get the know-nothing orange man installed.