1337Delta764
Topic Author

Do you plan to watch the new Power Rangers movie?

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:39 pm

I was wondering, do you plan to watch the new Power Rangers movie coming out this weekend?

I plan to see it. I know it is supposed to be more mature than the TV series, considering that it is rated PG-13. My brother wants to see it with me.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

Kiwirob

Re: Do you plan to watch the new Power Rangers movie?

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:51 pm

Is your brother 12? It's a kids movie, both my sons 9 & 11, who love the marvel universe and superhero films have no interest in seeing it.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:55 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Is your brother 12? It's a kids movie, both my sons 9 & 11, who love the marvel universe and superhero films have no interest in seeing it.

He is 26 years old.

Note that it is supposed to be more mature than the TV series, considering the PG-13 rating. The movie is based off the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, and the target audience are those who watched it as kids in the 1990s who are now grown up.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

Aesma

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:06 pm

I was a kid in the 90's and watched a lot of Japanese stuff. Except I didn't know it was Japanese stuff. It was what we got on TV. Including stuff made for adults in Japan, censored and reworked to show it to French kids.

It didn't make a lot of sense, but I liked most of it.

Power Rangers, though, that always appeared totally wrong and ridiculous to me. The way the actors move, act, it's so unnatural, too foreign even for a kid.

I've seen a trailer for the new movie and it looks much better, like a regular US "disconnect brain" movie. I might go see it. It helps that I've got a card to go see as many movies as I like.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

rfields5421

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:32 pm

My children were 8/9 to 12/13 while we lived in Japan during the early 80s.

The show in Japanese, with Japanese actors, was their favorite.

Later in the US they watched the recycled show with US actors, and didn't quite think it was as much fun.

But both in their early 40s now plan to go watch the new movie.

cjg225

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:54 pm

Dear God no.

I had not the slightest bit of interest it the Power Rangers when I was a kid in the 90s, and I have not the slightest bit of interest now.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

scbriml

Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:41 am

I wouldn't go to watch it if they paid me. :shakehead:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Cadet985

Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:01 am

I enjoyed the show as a kid, enjoyed the very first movie, and can't wait to see what they can do with modern special effects.

Plus Amy Jo Johnson has a cameo, and is still hot, and will ALWAYS be my first crush.

Marc

Francoflier

Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:00 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
I was wondering, do you plan to watch the new Power Rangers movie coming out this weekend?

I plan to see it.

I'm assuming you're going just to see the pink ranger?...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

coolian2

Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:16 am

scbriml wrote:
I wouldn't go to watch it if they paid me. :shakehead:

As long as it pays more than it costs for me to get there, I'd do it. But I'm a whore, I'll do anything for money almost anything for money.

I'd definitely do it if they threw in a free choc top or popcorn and a beer.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/CRJ-700/-900

johns624

Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:20 pm

OMG--TWO manchildren in the same family...

Dreadnought

Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:42 pm

Hell no. I am SO sick and tired of these preposterous superhero movies. It's as if hollywood thinks we have all devolved into wanting our old Saturday morning cartoons when we were 8 years old as our mainstream entertainment. And stop it with the reboots and sequels. It just illustrates a serious lack of originality.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

Calder

Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:22 pm

No way, the power rangers weren't even cool when I was a kid (born in 90).
C. T.

TWA772LR

Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:10 pm

I make it a point to not see any movies these days (except Star Wars). They are all cheesy sequels (Independence Day 2), horrible/predicatble superhero movies (every single Marvel movie; and I was only able to stomach half of Suicide Squad, on a 14 hour flight!), or remakes or based off of books (Harry Potter), or based off of real events (Deepwater Horizon; which I actually really enjoyed!). There is no originality in Hollywood anymore. The only movies that are remotely good in my list are the ones that are based on actual events.

The last movie I actually forked over money to watch was Rogue One back in December, which at first I thought was going to suck but then everyone I knew said it was awesome and the huge Star Wars fan in me had to see it and it turned out to be amazing. I hope they drop the cheeky stuff for Episode 8 and the Han Solo spin-off and make it a true epic.

Deepwater Horizon totally blew me away, although I didn't see it in theaters (my roommate Redbox-ed it and we both watched it). I grew up in Houston and was in high school when that disaster happened so I was intrigued by the story and actual litigation in the aftermath as it was constantly on the news. My history teacher at the time was an oil industry brat so he would spool us up on what was going on also.

The other aforementioned movies in my post were total letdowns (save for Harry Potter, just not an HP fan so I don't care to watch those. May the Force be with you.). I grew up watching Independence Day as a kid and watched it a couple weeks ago on DVD. It seems cheesy today, but it was the 90s, you take the good with the bad. Resurgence was, IMO, way to cheeky for my likening with everyone being someones kid and all the easter eggs. They were literally trying to remake the first one!!!!! Good thing I saw that on a plane, for free.

And Suicide Squad. Good God what a disappointment. Every single character is exactly what you could imagine beforehand. The idealistic, country boy Army man as the leader leading a gang of misfits that includes (but not limited to); a sexy crazy chick whose character appeals to all the emos in my generation that acts like a child, the assassin that is incredibly good with guns who kills to feed his daughter; the ex gangster turned good and is in self-inflicted exile from all of his powers; etc... and the emo Joker? No, just no. Joker loves to screw with Batman as the symbol of the never-ending struggle between law and chaos and actually recognizes that as his purpose in life, not some emo guy who goes to the club all the time and misses his girlfriend. This is the kind of movie you expect from the generation that had its formative years shaped by the Twilight series. It's like being crazy is the new "designer illness", especially if you look on Facebook...

*Steps off soapbox*
Eat 'em up Kats!