User avatar
einsteinboricua
Topic Author
Posts: 5635
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:51 am

So, I'm ticked off right now. At around 7:00pm I went to the hotel's laundry room (only one washer and dryer) to put some clothes to wash. I left the washer running at that time and peeked into the dryer: cycle was finished for I don't know how long, but thought 30 minutes would be enough for the person to come up to pick them up.

Alarm goes off: washer is done. Open the dryer: clothes are still there.

8:00pm...clothes are still there.

8:15pm...clothes are still there. At this point I call front desk to see what can be done. They say there's nothing else to do.

8:30pm...clothes are still there.

At 8:45pm I got fed up, removed the clothes and placed them on a table with a note asking them to be more courteous to other guests (I mean...seriously? two effin hours and you still can't be bothered to pick up your clothes?).

This is another edition of what would you have done?

I was sorta hoping front desk would either:
1. Remove the clothes themselves and leave a note asking the guest to collect their items.
2. Offer one of the housekeeping dryers (which I still wouldn't have minded paying $1 to use). A recent trip to a Holiday Inn got me that experience, though the dryer was broken.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
salttee
Posts: 1311
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:26 am

Re: Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:07 am

There was nothing to get fed up about. I would have simply moved the clothes in the dryer to the top of the dryer or the nearby table at 7:30. That's the universal laundry room etiquette everywhere I've ever been.
 
DLFREEBIRD
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Re: Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:04 am

i probably would've started folded the laundry. at 7:30 pm and at 7:31 someone would of appeared and asked what the heck i was doing with their laundry. :0
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Topic Author
Posts: 5635
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:21 am

By the way, my dryer cycle was done at about 9:30pm...and the person had still not collected their clothes.

It's 10:15pm as of the time of this post. I walked by the laundry room to the vending machines (you know...pretending I wanted a drink)...and the clothes are still there.

salttee wrote:
There was nothing to get fed up about. I would have simply moved the clothes in the dryer to the top of the dryer or the nearby table at 7:30. That's the universal laundry room etiquette everywhere I've ever been.

The problem is not that I wasn't gonna do it; it's doing it and having the person walk in while I'm doing it. Once the clothes were on the table and mine were in the dryer, I was safe. I could have pretended that someone else moved them and that I found an empty washer and dryer and did my loads as intended.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
salttee
Posts: 1311
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:26 am

Re: Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:04 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
i probably would've started folded the laundry. at 7:30 pm and at 7:31 someone would of appeared and asked what the heck i was doing with their laundry. :0

Then you nicely explain to them that it is their obligation to clear the machine for the next user. If they respond with anything other than happiness then just tell them to take it up with management. In no case does either party have anything to bitch about. Sometimes people forget their laundry - it happens.

BTW etiquette does not require you to fold anybody else's laundry, although I have done some of it and I've had it done for me.
 
User avatar
cjg225
Posts: 1577
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:20 pm

I'm sorry, you lost me at the part where a hotel has a laundry room that guests can use themselves.

Either I've never paid attention or I've never been at a hotel like that ever.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...
 
bhill
Posts: 1438
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2001 8:28 am

Re: Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:00 pm

Well, learning from barracks life, you put your clothes in the washer and stay there from wash to dry. But you did the right thing...
Carpe Pices
 
User avatar
cjg225
Posts: 1577
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:24 pm

bhill wrote:
Well, learning from barracks life, you put your clothes in the washer and stay there from wash to dry. But you did the right thing...

In college, I didn't sit by the washer and dryer from start to finish, but I timed everything that I always returned before the cycle was over.

I wrote a huge tirade on Facebook one day when I was a junior and got really pissed about basically what the first post describes... Except we had like 20 dryers and washers each in my dorm, ALL of them were being used, and several were full of clothes but not running. I hope I still have it around...
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...
 
salttee
Posts: 1311
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:26 am

Re: Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:34 pm

cjg225 wrote:
several were full of clothes but not running.

Why didn't you just take the clothes out and put them on top of the machines?
I am sure others did.
 
User avatar
cjg225
Posts: 1577
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:14 am

salttee wrote:
Why didn't you just take the clothes out and put them on top of the machines?
I am sure others did.

Yeah, people did, but I always felt a bit weird touching someone else's laundry.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...
 
salttee
Posts: 1311
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:26 am

Re: Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:34 am

cjg225 wrote:
I always felt a bit weird touching someone else's laundry.

Ahhh, the disgust factor raises its ugly head again.
http://opim.wharton.upenn.edu/DPlab/pap ... berals.pdf

That's a fascinating link that Tommy1808 pointed out and Bob Patterson tracked down.
 
User avatar
cjg225
Posts: 1577
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:03 pm

salttee wrote:
Ahhh, the disgust factor raises its ugly head again.
http://opim.wharton.upenn.edu/DPlab/pap ... berals.pdf

That's a fascinating link that Tommy1808 pointed out and Bob Patterson tracked down.

I must admit I don't understand how this has anything to do with what we're discussing. And I'm being completely serious. How does it?
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...
 
salttee
Posts: 1311
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:26 am

Re: Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:34 pm

cjg225 wrote:
salttee wrote:
Ahhh, the disgust factor raises its ugly head again.
http://opim.wharton.upenn.edu/DPlab/pap ... berals.pdf

That's a fascinating link that Tommy1808 pointed out and Bob Patterson tracked down.

I must admit I don't understand how this has anything to do with what we're discussing. And I'm being completely serious. How does it?

Well it seems to me that being squeamish about touching someone else's clothes would fall in with some of the the behaviors described in the above essay. The authors offered more extreme examples of "disgust" but they included the fact that at least one person experienced disgust at such a simple thing as a child eating an ice cream cone.

For example, Kass reacts with disgust not only to controversial practices such as human cloning, but also to more widely accepted practices, such as public consumption of ice cream cones: "Worst of all forms of eating, like licking an ice cream cone, a catlike activity that has been made acceptable in informal America but that still offends those who know why eating in public is offensive'.


I see a parallel anyway.
 
330west
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:43 pm

Re: Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:18 pm

I can’t say I’ve ever knowingly stayed in a hotel with guest laundry facilities but as I currently live in a large apartment complex(a converted machine tool factory actually) with upwards of sixty units on my floor and a two washer/two dryer laundry room this happens to me quite a bit. I’ll take it out and put it on the table or on top of the machine. The one time someone actually caught me in the act he apologized profusely and explained that he had worked a late shift(ED fellow) and simply fell asleep when he went back to his apartment. Maybe it’s a bit more civilized in this environment than it is in a hotel but I don’t think most people would freak out too much over someone removing their clothes from a public washer and placing them on a clean surface.
 
User avatar
cjg225
Posts: 1577
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:02 pm

salttee wrote:
Well it seems to me that being squeamish about touching someone else's clothes would fall in with some of the the behaviors described in the above essay. The authors offered more extreme examples of "disgust" but they included the fact that at least one person experienced disgust at such a simple thing as a child eating an ice cream cone.

For example, Kass reacts with disgust not only to controversial practices such as human cloning, but also to more widely accepted practices, such as public consumption of ice cream cones: "Worst of all forms of eating, like licking an ice cream cone, a catlike activity that has been made acceptable in informal America but that still offends those who know why eating in public is offensive'.


I see a parallel anyway.

It's not being squeamish, necessarily. It's not wanting to touch someone else's property because it's someone else's property.

330west wrote:
I can’t say I’ve ever knowingly stayed in a hotel with guest laundry facilities but as I currently live in a large apartment complex(a converted machine tool factory actually) with upwards of sixty units on my floor and a two washer/two dryer laundry room this happens to me quite a bit. I’ll take it out and put it on the table or on top of the machine. The one time someone actually caught me in the act he apologized profusely and explained that he had worked a late shift(ED fellow) and simply fell asleep when he went back to his apartment. Maybe it’s a bit more civilized in this environment than it is in a hotel but I don’t think most people would freak out too much over someone removing their clothes from a public washer and placing them on a clean surface.

When I moved to my off-campus apartment, we had just a small number of washers/dryers for the floor. I never really had a problem because no one else wanted to do their laundry at 7am on a Friday, usually.

One of my critical-to-quality criteria as I search for my next apartment is that it has in-unit washer/dryer hookups.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...
 
VSMUT
Posts: 1107
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:48 pm

There could have been many reasons why, maybe he/she wasn't at the hotel at the time. Some people stay in hotels for several weeks at a time, but never long enough in one place to manage a task like this exactly on time. Maybe he/she arrived in the afternoon after a long day of travelling or work, and was leaving again early morning? That doesn't leave much time to both get sleep, food and to clean clothes.

cjg225 wrote:
It's not being squeamish, necessarily. It's not wanting to touch someone else's property because it's someone else's property.


When people place their property in public places like this, then it stops being private property.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 5704
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:29 pm

Whatever reason a person has for not collecting their laundry on time is of no concern to you. You just take the laundry out and put it in a conspicuous place where they can find it. When I was in the dorms, you learned really quick, that you were on time, or your clothes might have floor dust on them .
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Topic Author
Posts: 5635
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:12 pm

VSMUT wrote:
There could have been many reasons why, maybe he/she wasn't at the hotel at the time. Some people stay in hotels for several weeks at a time, but never long enough in one place to manage a task like this exactly on time. Maybe he/she arrived in the afternoon after a long day of travelling or work, and was leaving again early morning? That doesn't leave much time to both get sleep, food and to clean clothes.

The person was definitely at the hotel. I really doubt you can be present place a load to dry and immediately take a stroll. If the person was away, that's just bad manners.

If you are so tired that you can't attend laundry, your best course of action is to either NOT do laundry or take a brief nap first, even if it means putting clothes to wash and dry at 1am. But come on...three hours and you "forget" that you had clothes?

I can tell this person was not traveling just for travel. The clothes were a mix of men and women's clothes and they were mostly casual so this was a laundry load for a family. Not only that, but the hotel had been booked for a wedding reception over the weekend, so I can tell that these people were likely here just for the weekend. If you can't bring enough clothes for a weekend, then you have problems. If I'm on travel for 7 days, I'll probably pack for 12 just to be on the safe side.

Remember, it takes 30 minutes to wash and between 30-45 minutes to dry. The clothes were in the dryer which meant that at least 30 minutes had passed since the person left the clothes to dry. For all I know, the clothes were probably left to dry at 6pm and they had been sitting there since 6:30pm. If you fall asleep and wake up at 10:30pm and remember that you had clothes in the dryer, then don't be upset if someone moved them. It's irresponsible and rude to other guests. I waited for an hour (and that was probably too much).

I'm respectful of items that are not mine (and this is Florida we're talking about...in a red, gun-loving area), but dammit, have decency. I think the note I wrote said it all.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
VSMUT
Posts: 1107
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:34 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
If you are so tired that you can't attend laundry, your best course of action is to either NOT do laundry or take a brief nap first, even if it means putting clothes to wash and dry at 1am. But come on...three hours and you "forget" that you had clothes?


I've been travelling in connection with my job for almost 2 months now, never staying in one hotel for longer than one night. Getting your laundry done under those circumstances can be really tricky. Believe me, it is something you fit in wherever it is possible, regardless of what you are doing.

einsteinboricua wrote:
I can tell this person was not traveling just for travel. The clothes were a mix of men and women's clothes and they were mostly casual so this was a laundry load for a family. Not only that, but the hotel had been booked for a wedding reception over the weekend, so I can tell that these people were likely here just for the weekend. If you can't bring enough clothes for a weekend, then you have problems. If I'm on travel for 7 days, I'll probably pack for 12 just to be on the safe side.


I think you are assuming too much. Why would anybody wash their clothes in a public laundry in a hotel if they are just there for a weekend (or short stay)? Even if it was casual clothing, it doesn't really say anything about the reason for travel. Even business travellers wear casual clothes when they are off. The fact that it was a mix of mens and womens clothes only tells me that they were considerate enough to combine the load instead of hogging it over two cycles.

einsteinboricua wrote:
wake up at 10:30pm and remember that you had clothes in the dryer, then don't be upset if someone moved them.


For all we know, they weren't upset. They may even have counted on it happening. I know I would. You put way too much thought into a very trivial thing.
 
User avatar
cjg225
Posts: 1577
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:57 pm

VSMUT wrote:
When people place their property in public places like this, then it stops being private property.

Yeah.... that's not true. There may be an argument that one could move the property without being liable, but it's still private property. That doesn't change. And, I happen to not like touching other peoples' property because, again, it's their property, not mine. Where I have explicit license to do so or a pretty clear implicit license, sure, I will do so. But in this case, I just don't like to touch someone else's stuff.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...
 
VSMUT
Posts: 1107
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:07 pm

cjg225 wrote:
Yeah.... that's not true. There may be an argument that one could move the property without being liable, but it's still private property. That doesn't change. And, I happen to not like touching other peoples' property because, again, it's their property, not mine. Where I have explicit license to do so or a pretty clear implicit license, sure, I will do so. But in this case, I just don't like to touch someone else's stuff.


But why are you so afraid of moving it? You aren't doing any harm towards it, only moving it onto a dry and clean table right next to the machine.
 
User avatar
Aeroflot777
Posts: 3077
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:19 pm

Re: Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:46 pm

What hotel has a self-service laundry room for guests?!

I've been around the block many times in quite a few establishments and have never heard of this happening. Is it more of a mixed-living, long-term hotel type of accommodation?

In any case, this sounds like college all over again. Sometimes people are late, for whatever reason, you politely take it out and put it next to the washer where it's clean. No harm done and can be expected for a public laundry place.
 
User avatar
cjg225
Posts: 1577
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:11 pm

VSMUT wrote:
But why are you so afraid of moving it? You aren't doing any harm towards it, only moving it onto a dry and clean table right next to the machine.

Why do you keep using words like "disgust" and "afraid?" This is a very simple thing that you, for some reason, keep trying to turn into something very much deeper.

Aeroflot777 wrote:
What hotel has a self-service laundry room for guests?!

I've been around the block many times in quite a few establishments and have never heard of this happening. Is it more of a mixed-living, long-term hotel type of accommodation?

In any case, this sounds like college all over again. Sometimes people are late, for whatever reason, you politely take it out and put it next to the washer where it's clean. No harm done and can be expected for a public laundry place.

Same question I had.

But your second line does make sense. I've never stayed in an "extended stay" kind of place, but maybe they have a laundry facility for guests out of necessity.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...
 
Flyer732
Posts: 1344
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 1999 6:09 am

Re: Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:58 pm

Aeroflot777 wrote:
What hotel has a self-service laundry room for guests?!

I've been around the block many times in quite a few establishments and have never heard of this happening. Is it more of a mixed-living, long-term hotel type of accommodation?

In any case, this sounds like college all over again. Sometimes people are late, for whatever reason, you politely take it out and put it next to the washer where it's clean. No harm done and can be expected for a public laundry place.



Most major chains have it these days, the Holiday Inn Family of hotels, most of the Hilton family and many many others. I've stayed in 4 star hotel with guest laundry facilities, but most people don't ever realize it is there because they never have a use for such a facility. However, I've lived in hotels for months at a time, and made use of them fairly frequently.
 
VSMUT
Posts: 1107
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Hotel Laundry Etiquette

Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:21 pm

cjg225 wrote:
Why do you keep using words like "disgust" and "afraid?" This is a very simple thing that you, for some reason, keep trying to turn into something very much deeper.


I never used the word disgust in this thread, and I only used afraid once. Nor am I trying to make this anything deep, because it isn't. Just move it, end of story. The most shallow story ever.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Iemand91, salttee, Tkfan and 2 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos