Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bmacleod
Topic Author

More Canadians avoiding US.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:04 pm

This is bit of a surprise - I mean Canada isn't on Trumps' travel ban but some Canadians may feel as long as Trump is POTUS they're avoiding the US.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/trump-ruffles-feathers-sends-canadian-snowbirds-flying-elsewhere-1.4025373

KLDC10

Re: More Canadians avoiding US.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:40 pm

An incredible overreaction. Especially on the part of the Girl Guide group.

Hillis

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:54 pm

KLDC10 wrote:

No, it's not an over-reaction. Why do people from other nations want to come here, even to visit, when people like you have made it plain they're not welcome?

Redd

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:06 pm

A lot of non-white Canadians have been getting extra hassle at the border and many are being turned back and told to get Visas or just flat out denied entry.

dmg626

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:17 pm

The second half of that article should be highlighted " the weak Canadian dollar"

tommy1808

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:56 pm

KLDC10 wrote:

The may have members who are citizens of countries targeted by Trump's hate. It is the only sensible option they have.

Best regards
Thomas

NIKV69

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:13 pm

Hillis wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:

No, it's not an over-reaction. Why do people from other nations want to come here, even to visit, when people like you have made it plain they're not welcome?

That is such crap. How have we made them not welcome? Just because we don't have open borders doesn't mean you are not welcome it just means you can't just walk in here. Give the propaganda a rest. Jeez.

Hillis

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:15 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Hillis wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:

That is such crap. How have we made them not welcome? Just because we don't have open borders doesn't mean you are not welcome it just means you can't just walk in here. Give the propaganda a rest. Jeez.

Says the white boy who doesn't have to worry.

Ken777

Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:46 am

dmg626 wrote:
The second half of that article should be highlighted " the weak Canadian dollar"

Maybe we should wait a while before tiling about other's having weak currency. Trump is just getting started.

In terms of tourists cutting out trips to the US, reality is that there are a lot of places outside of the US that would make great places to visit. Why would anyone with the financial ability to take a holiday not go to some place with a better government attitude towards "foreigners"?

Personally I'd rather head back to Italy and/or France this summer that be stuck with 24/7 Trump issues.

mdsh00

Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:40 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Hillis wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.4012218

Canadian and American citizens generally have been able to go across the border without a visa for years.

It seems that since Trump, Brown Canadians are no longer welcome.

Forget about Canadians, what about the large number of Americans born and raised in this country who are made to feel unwelcome, beaten, or kiled in their own country because they look different or have a "funny name?" I can give you plenty of stories including personal ones.

These kind of "tone-deaf" replies is why the right struggles to relate to Americans of different ethnic backgrounds.

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/ ... plicated-s

jetblueguy22

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:00 am

I can't stand Trump, but there is more to it than him. The Canadian dollar has a bigger effect on it than anybody is willing to admit. Where I live, stores were commonly packed with Canadians on the weekends shopping. Middle of last year that all started to change.

Trump is playing an effect now, I'm sure, but lets take the emotions out of it and look at the big picture.

socalgeo

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:38 am

Hillis wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Hillis wrote:

Race bait much?

socalgeo

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:40 am

mdsh00 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Hillis wrote:

Canadian and American citizens generally have been able to go across the border without a visa for years.

Forget about Canadians, what about the large number of Americans born and raised in this country who are made to feel unwelcome, beaten, or kiled in their own country because they look different or have a "funny name?" I can give you plenty of stories including personal ones.

These kind of "tone-deaf" replies is why the right struggles to relate to Americans of different ethnic backgrounds.

Brown Canadians? There's a special place in hell for race baiters.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:44 am

Hillis wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Hillis wrote:

Now hang on a moment! I'm not a Trump fan, but that comment is way out of line.

mdsh00

Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:19 am

socalgeo wrote:
mdsh00 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Clearly you didn't get the point.

WIederling

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:34 am

jetblueguy22 wrote:
Trump is playing an effect now, I'm sure, but lets take the emotions out of it and look at the big picture.

After a spike up to 1.5:1 the Canadian Dollar has settled around 1.35 ... for the last year/14 month period.
In contrast to changing "Trump"ed up policies that is not a dynamically growing reason.

Assume the general rise in xenophobia in the US is instrumental here.

Dutchy

Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:06 pm

Every action has a reaction......

Hillis

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:20 pm

cpd wrote:
Hillis wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

How is that way out of line. It's a fact.

pvjin

Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:26 pm

Hillis wrote:
cpd wrote:
Hillis wrote:

How is that way out of line. It's a fact.

Oh the irony, if somebody here is a "white boy who doesn't have to worry" that's Hillis. Typical middle-class liberal who has no real problems to deal with, and thus has to start worrying about problems of minorities to give his life a sense of struggle.

It's a funny phenomenon really, how those complaining about struggles faced by minorities are most typically people who have no contact whatsoever to those minorities on cultural or socioeconomic levels.

WildcatYXU

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:25 pm

socalgeo wrote:

Are you sure it was a race bait? According to my friend who's a trucker, several of his colleagues were detained at the border basically without a reason. Their FAST cards were revoked too. All that on runs they were doing for years. They were all brown. Coincidence? I'm not sure.

jetblueguy22 wrote:
I can't stand Trump, but there is more to it than him. The Canadian dollar has a bigger effect on it than anybody is willing to admit. Where I live, stores were commonly packed with Canadians on the weekends shopping. Middle of last year that all started to change.

Yes, absolutely. The drop of the Canadian dollar definitely decreased the number of day shoppers.

That said, I'm personally avoiding crossing the border to the USA just because it strongly reminds me of crossing from Czechoslovakia to the USSR during the communist rule. But I've been done this for years now, so no Trump effect here.
Now, as far as checking the cell phones, well, I don't think we we have a right to complain. CBSA is doing exactly the same to Americans (and to other visitors).

socalgeo

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:13 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
socalgeo wrote:

Are you sure it was a race bait? According to my friend who's a trucker, several of his colleagues were detained at the border basically without a reason. Their FAST cards were revoked too. All that on runs they were doing for years. They were all brown. Coincidence? I'm not sure

I truly hope that it is a coincidence. It would be totally wrong to target any person based on the colour of his/her skin. And highly illegal. Can you ask if they were given a reason for having their FAST cards revoked?

SAS A340

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:34 pm

I have put US on hold for a couple of years....(4 or so). Many other places to see ;) and now could be the right time to do just that :)

rfields5421

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:42 pm

As a full-time RVer, I normally see a great many Canadians each winter. They are a major presence in the Snow Bird RV parks of Florida, south Texas and Arizona each winter.

We also see a lot of Canadian travelers each March-July making a swing across the southern US.

This year is the lowest number of Canadian visitors, in both full winter season and shorter traveling season, in a couple decades.

The overwhelming reason is the low Canadian dollar.

It is so low that I have altered my plans for June, July and August to be in Canada.

Fuel and RV camping spots are currently at their lowest price for folks with US dollars in years.

(Plus Parks Canada is celebrating their 100th Anniversary with a free day use pass to Canadian National Parks. ).

Calder

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:53 pm

In my hometown (boarder town, I live about ~.3mi from the Canadian Border). I have noticed a decline in traffic, but it's been that way for at least the last year or so.

I imagine it has more to do with the exchange rate than POTUS.

When Canadians stop coming here to buy meat/dairy then I'll be concerned.

mham001

Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:12 am

On the other hand, many Canadians are not happy with those crossing from the US....How dare they.

Almost half of Canadians want refugees illegally crossing into Canada deported: Poll
http://globalnews.ca/news/3321089/illeg ... rted-poll/

agill

Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:41 am

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=CAD&view=2Y

But is there such a big difference in exchange rate? Feel like I'm missing something here.

tommy1808

Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:57 am

agill wrote:
https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=CAD&view=2Y

But is there such a big difference in exchange rate? Feel like I'm missing something here.

Nope, it is pretty exactly where it was a year ago. So everything we see right now is not exchange rate related, and the flux is about 5%. I don´t know about other people, but it takes more than 5% before i even start reconsidering where i go. I mean seriously, the Canadian Girl guides are on record why they won´t go to the US anymore, and still people bring up Exchange rates.....

best regards
Thomas

NIKV69

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:32 pm

Hillis wrote:

Oh my, you have to stop listening to Van Jones. Your mental health will thank you.

prebennorholm

Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:53 pm

agill wrote:

Yes, you are missing 2013 - 2015 when the CAD lost 25% against USD.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from= ... AD&view=5Y

tommy1808

Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:23 am

prebennorholm wrote:
agill wrote:

Which does exactly nothing to explain changes from 2016 to 2017.

best regards
Thomas

rfields5421

Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:21 pm

mham001 wrote:
On the other hand, many Canadians are not happy with those crossing from the US....How dare they.

Almost half of Canadians want refugees illegally crossing into Canada deported: Poll
http://globalnews.ca/news/3321089/illeg ... rted-poll/

There has always been a steady stream of illegals from Canada to the US. It was an issue between our governments 110 years ago.

When I served in the US Navy on a British island in the Caribbean, I saw several people leave to visit relatives in Toronto, and cross into the US to stay.

Yes, there is some steady north bound illegals traffic among people from non-Commonwealth nations who decide the US isn't where they want to be.

rfields5421

Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:28 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
prebennorholm wrote:
agill wrote:

Which does exactly nothing to explain changes from 2016 to 2017.

best regards
Thomas

Actually it does. As the exchange rate has gotten worse and lasted longer, more and more Canadians are not traveling to the US.

My experience is with an older demographic which plans to spend several months in the US. They weathered bad exchange rates for a couple years by using more of their savings than normal. But it has reached a 'can't do this any longer until rates get better' point for many of the folks I know.

Interestingly we have seen an increase in pass through Canadians choosing to spend their winters in Mexico rather than the US.

I am certain there Is a percentage of Canadians who have chosen to not visit the US due to the President. Just as there are a percentage of US citizens choosing to not visit any of several countries.

However, my experience with international travelers is that economics are always a primary factor in the can we go this year or do we need to wait decision.

DDR

Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:39 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Hillis wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:

Hillis can't give it a rest. I am loathe to block people but I can't take his insane posts any longer. And, as soon as the Canadian dollar rebounds, they'll be thousands of Canadians crossing the border to shop at U.S. Wal Marts just like before.

I wish people would stop saying everyone everywhere is boycotting the U.S because of Trump. Go visit JFK in the early afternoon and you'll see that it simply isn't true.

ElPistolero

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:06 pm

DDR wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Hillis wrote:

Hillis can't give it a rest. I am loathe to block people but I can't take his insane posts any longer. And, as soon as the Canadian dollar rebounds, they'll be thousands of Canadians crossing the border to shop at U.S. Wal Marts just like before.

I wish people would stop saying everyone everywhere is boycotting the U.S because of Trump. Go visit JFK in the early afternoon and you'll see that it simply isn't true.

No one is saying "everyone" is boycotting the U.S. There is, however, a trend developing that suggests that Canadians are curtailing discretionary travel to the US.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39371696

"Canada's largest school board is cancelling new school trips to the United States until further notice.

The Toronto District School Board announced the decision citing "uncertainty" with regards to who may be affected by US President Donald's Trump's latest travel restrictions."

When movements tend to take anti-immigrant stances, potential foreign visitors become uncomfortable. That creates a perception (however unjustified) that can change behaviour.

On the other hand, thanks to Brexit and Trump, interest in Canada as a study or tourism destination has taken off. So we really can't complain.

tommy1808

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:47 pm

ElPistolero wrote:
When movements tend to take anti-immigrant stances, potential foreign visitors become uncomfortable. That creates a perception (however unjustified) that can change behaviour. .

And what option do they really have in group travel? Those are usually bigger groups, that are not usually homogeneous in terms of Ethnicity or citizenship and they simply can´t risk having to leave minors behind at the point of entry or drag all the parents along just in case.

But i guess some people will just be happy that the brown people and Muslims stay out, and are willing to pay the price in less tourism overall with glee.

best regards
Thomas

WIederling

Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:44 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
But i guess some people will just be happy that the brown people and Muslims stay out, and are willing to pay the price in less tourism overall with glee.

Cuba will be happy to take their traffic.

Will the US then force Canadian airlines to not fly through US airspace?
( Some badness could dribble out and taint this countries exceptionalness . :-)

WildcatYXU

Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:50 pm

WIederling wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Cuba will be happy to take their traffic.

Will the US then force Canadian airlines to not fly through US airspace?
( Some badness could dribble out and taint this countries exceptionalness . :-)

Considering that even Cubana is flying to Canada over US airspace it would never happen.

WIederling

Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:46 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
Considering that even Cubana is flying to Canada over US airspace it would never happen.

Hmm, see:
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Avoiding ... ted_States
go down to "United States airspace"

"All flights travelling through the airspace of the United States are expected to provide passenger details, even if there is no intention to land in the United States on the way. If your name is on a no-fly or other watch list, then your airline may deny you permission to board your flight. A worst-case scenario would be your plane being forced to land in the United States with you being placed under arrest."

In view of the absence of saneness in how the various US no-$something lists are populated ...

WildcatYXU

Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:13 pm

WIederling wrote:
WildcatYXU wrote:

Hmm, see:
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Avoiding ... ted_States
go down to "United States airspace"

"All flights travelling through the airspace of the United States are expected to provide passenger details, even if there is no intention to land in the United States on the way. If your name is on a no-fly or other watch list, then your airline may deny you permission to board your flight. A worst-case scenario would be your plane being forced to land in the United States with you being placed under arrest."

In view of the absence of saneness in how the various US no-$something lists are populated ...

Yeah, well, what to say...there is an 8 years old from Winnipeg on the no-fly list. Individual travelers definitely may run into trouble. But it was in place for long time, the current US administration has nothing to do with it and it's not an overfly ban.

Now, I'd be curious what would happen in case of an overfly ban and retaliation from Canadian side. We would see some very interesting routings from the US West Coast to Europe.

StarAC17

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:12 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
socalgeo wrote:

Are you sure it was a race bait? According to my friend who's a trucker, several of his colleagues were detained at the border basically without a reason. Their FAST cards were revoked too. All that on runs they were doing for years. They were all brown. Coincidence? I'm not sure.

jetblueguy22 wrote:

Yes, absolutely. The drop of the Canadian dollar definitely decreased the number of day shoppers.

That said, I'm personally avoiding crossing the border to the USA just because it strongly reminds me of crossing from Czechoslovakia to the USSR during the communist rule. But I've been done this for years now, so no Trump effect here.
Now, as far as checking the cell phones, well, I don't think we we have a right to complain. CBSA is doing exactly the same to Americans (and to other visitors).

As said the dollar has been the same value for the past year and while that will affect some people it is historically valued where it should be. The high dollar from is the exception and not the rule.

I haven't had any issues going into the US but I really have no desire to visit anytime soon (perhaps a trip to Vegas or New Orleans) I have been going to Europe, Africa, and South/Central America because I would rather see those places than places in the US. The Canadian dollar is great value to buy Euro's historically.

Regarding the checking of cell phones. Yes customs should have a right to do it if they have suspicion to do so. If the show Border Security is at all accurate the CBSA does it when they think that someone is looking to work illegally or perhaps overstay their visa/allotted tourist visitation time. Simply looking to see the political views of a person is over the line and Border Patrol should have some pretty strict oversight because they can do things that cops cannot do without a warrant. Simply put if I have an onward or return ticket, evidence of accommodations and funds to support myself let me in regardless of my skin colour. Yes I could cause trouble but the chances are a hell of a lot less that I will.

What does scare me about entering the US is I have no right to question their reasons for suspicion (this applies elsewhere too) and as a a liberal and the feeds I follow on facebook are very liberal and that really isn't their business. What should be their business is that if I have committed any crimes (nope), shown signs of financial hardship (nope), have I overstayed a visa (nope), or have no idea what I plan to do while visiting. Those should be a better indicator of whether I am entering a country to cause trouble over my political beliefs. Now I can't even tell the US border patrol I wish to withdraw my application for entry and walk away at either the border or at YYZ pre-clearance, I can still be detained.

Now you are all outraged at Hillis for saying this but my saving grace is that I am white, it is very unlikely that I will be hassled at most immigration points in the developed world.

bhill

Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:31 pm

So lemme get this straight, Canadian citizens WITH Canadian passports are getting a rash and a shit from TSA/Border guards? Can one one of these US employees actually deny some one because they "feel like it" or are there actually regulations that specify when a person, other than usual background checks, be denied entry?

Vio

Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:29 pm

I've never had a problem going to the USA. I don't really give a s**t about American politics. Americans have always been nice to me and I've never had an issue with an American or American officials. Obey their laws and respect their society, chances are, you'll be okay. (Spare me the racist remarks. I've been to the USA many times with friends of mine that don't fall into the "White European" looking category. They never had an issue). I'm actually looking forward to bringing my daughter to Disneyland soon.

StarAC17

Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:52 pm

bhill wrote:
So lemme get this straight, Canadian citizens WITH Canadian passports are getting a rash and a shit from TSA/Border guards? Can one one of these US employees actually deny some one because they "feel like it" or are there actually regulations that specify when a person, other than usual background checks, be denied entry?

Let's be straight here, it is more than likely that it is Canadians who aren't white and there are many of those in Canada.

The US CBP can turn away anybody that they feel like for whatever reason, that is your sovereign right. The usual reasons to do so is because of criminal history, suspected to be working illegally, would overstay the allotted time allowed by your visa (for a Canadian this is 6 months visa free for tourism)

What has happened is that CBP has turned away people such as this Indian woman from Montreal whom was going to a spa in Vermont and will be having her bachelorette in Miami in May. She was of Indian descent but had a Canadian passport. They said she needed to visit a consulate and get a visa, something not needed for Canadian citizens for tourism.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.4011202

Also a church group was denied entry to the US for a volunteer trip to New Jersey because of the fear that they would steal US jobs.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... cane-sandy

What is sad about this is that Sandy was almost 5 years ago and they still need volunteer rebuilding efforts. I mean c'mon man!!

Furthermore the Girl Scouts and the Toronto District school board have stopped all travel to the US until further notice.