Hillis
Topic Author
Posts: 1305
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:19 pm

Spirit Airlines Pilot, Wife, Die of Overdose

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:54 pm

I haven't seen this posted, so if it has been, my apologies. It just shows you that anyone, I guess, can be a victim of a drug overdose.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/03/ ... -overdose/
B737-100, B737-200, B737-300, B737-500, B737-700, B737-800, B737-900, B727, B-707 DC-10, MD-11, 763, 764, 777, 757-200, 757-300, A-319, A-320, A-321, A-300, ERJ-145, ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190, CRJ-100, CRJ-200, DASH-2, DASH-3, DASH-8, BAE-146
 
jetblueguy22
Posts: 2797
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:26 am

Re: Spirit Airlines Pilot, Wife, Die of Overdose

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:20 pm

Found by a child, just heart breaking.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club
 
texdravid
Posts: 1454
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 3:21 pm

Re: Spirit Airlines Pilot, Wife, Die of Overdose

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:31 pm

Unbelievable irresponsibility!
And on top of that, leaving four kids behind...
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.
 
TheGeordielad
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: Spirit Airlines Pilot, Wife, Die of Overdose

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:49 pm

It's sad they loss their life's but I feel really sorry for their kids.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 11243
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Spirit Airlines Pilot, Wife, Die of Overdose

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:50 pm

One of the biggest myths is that all pilots are super beings and above all evil. Unfortunately they are just people like anyone else. They have all the attributes good and bad and over the long run a small % are like this. I am just glad this happened in their personal lives and not professional.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!
 
ltbewr
Posts: 12964
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Spirit Airlines Pilot, Wife, Die of Overdose

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:22 am

I would presume they were using such drugs for a long time, so why didn't they catch him in a physical or if he had behavior among his fellow pilots that might have suggested drug use ?
 
DLFREEBIRD
Posts: 769
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Re: Spirit Airlines Pilot, Wife, Die of Overdose

Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:42 am

The wife had a history with drugs even a cover up conviction . Her, two children's father died of a drug overdose. Now she's made them parentless. His two children were picked up by his ex-wife at the scene. Sounds like the wife's mother was an enabler. She knew they were probably partying by the way they were acting, but did nothing but get a sick feeling inside. Also she wants everybody to know that her daughter was not a low-life and was very well liked.

I sure hope she's not the one who's going to raise her parentless grandchildren.

i agree with what someone else wrote at least he O.D. at home, instead of in the air.
 
jetblueguy22
Posts: 2797
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:26 am

Re: Spirit Airlines Pilot, Wife, Die of Overdose

Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:47 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
One of the biggest myths is that all pilots are super beings and above all evil. Unfortunately they are just people like anyone else. They have all the attributes good and bad and over the long run a small % are like this. I am just glad this happened in their personal lives and not professional.

Unfortunately the industry and the regulators like to stick their fingers in their ears and pretend pilots are above drug addiction and mental health issues. The sooner that stigma is gone the better.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club
 
727200
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:31 pm

Re: Spirit Airlines Pilot, Wife, Die of Overdose

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:18 pm

There have been instances where pilots 'appear' to be under the influence and have reported to work. Unfortunately because of union rules, no breath, blood, or urine sample may be taken without a union rep in attendance. Only problem is the rep is 500 miles away and not answering their phone, and when they do 6 hours later, the individual in question is 'sober.' They then are allowed to continue on the trip. Until both sides realize and want to admit their is an issue, nothing will happen.
 
stratosphere
Posts: 1252
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Spirit Airlines Pilot, Wife, Die of Overdose

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:08 am

The key drug used here was Fentanyl this is a killer drug without a doubt. I have heard about plenty of people dying from it. Heroin is bad enough but most times it won't kill you but mix it with Fentanyl you got a good chance of death. Sad situation.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 9338
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Spirit Airlines Pilot, Wife, Die of Overdose

Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:13 am

Didn't know of that drug. It seems to me it would not be that smart to sell this if you want your clients to come back for more.

Then again the fact that you can make lots of doses from a very small amount of pure powder must be too tempting.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 14231
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Spirit Airlines Pilot, Wife, Die of Overdose

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:43 am

727200 wrote:
There have been instances where pilots 'appear' to be under the influence and have reported to work. Unfortunately because of union rules, no breath, blood, or urine sample may be taken without a union rep in attendance. Only problem is the rep is 500 miles away and not answering their phone, and when they do 6 hours later, the individual in question is 'sober.' They then are allowed to continue on the trip. Until both sides realize and want to admit their is an issue, nothing will happen.


Whaaa? I've never heard of any such rule; sure, an employee can refuse to take a DOT or non-DOT drug test, but refusal is considered equal to a positive test. No CBA trumps drug testing requirements.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
wjcandee
Posts: 6291
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Spirit Airlines Pilot, Wife, Die of Overdose

Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:31 am

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/cri ... WW1NbcORP/

This whole thing is sad and bizarre. It seems like he was dealing with major problems at home. She comes home from disappearing on a drug bender then locks him out and he calls cops because he is concerned she is trying to get to two guns hidden in the bedroom? A year ago. And now this. He was flying for 9 years for Spirit. Presumably had random drug tests, and seems odd he would interface with police the way he did a year ago if he, too, was using at that time. Have to wonder when (if?) he started using, and why. Is this just a joint overdose or something else? All in all, very sad.
 
N757ST
Posts: 502
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:00 am

Re: Spirit Airlines Pilot, Wife, Die of Overdose

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:31 am

727200 wrote:
There have been instances where pilots 'appear' to be under the influence and have reported to work. Unfortunately because of union rules, no breath, blood, or urine sample may be taken without a union rep in attendance. Only problem is the rep is 500 miles away and not answering their phone, and when they do 6 hours later, the individual in question is 'sober.' They then are allowed to continue on the trip. Until both sides realize and want to admit their is an issue, nothing will happen.


Those are some cool alternate facts. Pilots never give blood samples, only breath and urine. They are tested randomly. No union officers would be allowed to be present during a test. Tests are sometimes done before flights, sometimes at the end of the day. But keep on making up your own reality buddy. I've been flying professionally for 15 years, those are the facts.
 
User avatar
tb727
Posts: 1903
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:40 pm

Re: Spirit Airlines Pilot, Wife, Die of Overdose

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:26 pm

727200 wrote:
There have been instances where pilots 'appear' to be under the influence and have reported to work. Unfortunately because of union rules, no breath, blood, or urine sample may be taken without a union rep in attendance. Only problem is the rep is 500 miles away and not answering their phone, and when they do 6 hours later, the individual in question is 'sober.' They then are allowed to continue on the trip. Until both sides realize and want to admit their is an issue, nothing will happen.


What on Earth are you blabbing about? If there is ever any doubt about sobriety you go get tested, even if some jerk comes on and asks if the pilots have been drinking as a "joke" you are subject to go get tested now. Without failure after every time an airline pilot is shown on the news coming in drunk, during the next few days some jackass has to get on a plane and say something to one of us. A refusal of a drug/alcohol test basically means you are guilty.

I also have multiple CBA's from airlines including ALPA and Teamsters and not one of them hints at requiring someone watch you pee or get a drug test. It's a process with paperwork and witnesses so this sort of stuff doesn't get messed up and is done right. You get paid extra to do tests too, easy money to blow into a tube or provide some urine.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3205
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Spirit Airlines Pilot, Wife, Die of Overdose

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:21 pm

Hillis wrote:
I haven't seen this posted, so if it has been, my apologies. It just shows you that anyone, I guess, can be a victim of a drug overdose.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/03/ ... -overdose/


If there are any victims they are not those who self-administer drugs and die of overdose or impurities, etc..

The orphaned children are the victims here, not their stupid parents.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
727200
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:31 pm

Re: Spirit Airlines Pilot, Wife, Die of Overdose

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:02 am

You can babble all you want. Reality is I have seen it 1st hand and those facts are the facts. Everything else is just some nameless keystrokes mouthing off. Police your own and there is not an issue.
 
ROSWELL41
Posts: 777
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2001 3:50 am

Re: Spirit Airlines Pilot, Wife, Die of Overdose

Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:57 am

727200 wrote:
You can babble all you want. Reality is I have seen it 1st hand and those facts are the facts. Everything else is just some nameless keystrokes mouthing off. Police your own and there is not an issue.


No, you're completely wrong - especially where it pertains to US-based FAR 121 carriers (and crew members subject to DOT testing). And it's important that I and others make sure you're challenged because your comments undermine trust in the regulatory system while attempting to smear unions simultaneously.
 
727200
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:31 pm

Re: Spirit Airlines Pilot, Wife, Die of Overdose

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:29 pm

I will make one final comment on this and then close it. The facts are what they are. SInce you were not a party to it, and certainly don't know the particular instance its best you quit before you embarrass your self further.
 
johns624
Posts: 1548
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Spirit Airlines Pilot, Wife, Die of Overdose

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:28 pm

727200 wrote:
I will make one final comment on this and then close it. The facts are what they are. SInce you were not a party to it, and certainly don't know the particular instance its best you quit before you embarrass your self further.
So you claim that you saw something first hand, give no details and then try to claim that it's a general practice and people are supposed to believe you? Sorry, it doesn't work like that.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aesma, BobPatterson, ER757, Kiwirob, L410Turbolet, scbriml and 23 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos