Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyingclrs727
Topic Author

How to accommodate name change on airline tickets

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:38 pm

My wife needs to renew her passport before we can send in the forms for the renewal of her permanent residence card (green card). She is wanting to visit friends and family in Ukraine this spring and get the passport renewed on the trip. As part of the renewal, she will request a change of name to correspond to her new last name. Previously she has had no problem boarding domestic flights under her married name using either her permanent residence card or Texas driver's license. But in those cases, she didn't have show her passport. She always carries around a certified copy of our marriage certificate. Should I just go ahead and buy the tickets under her married name and have her show her permanent residence card and passport at the check-in counter of the airline?

einsteinboricua

Re: How to accommodate name change on airline tickets

Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:40 pm

You can always contact the airline by phone, email, or social media. They'll probably have a better answer than any of us.

DLFREEBIRD

Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:07 pm

generally speaking you want your airline ticket to match your passport name, her case it's more complex. so she should ask her local consul. btw, airline personnel. can look up general information, but when someone has a green card, we always referring them
to their embassy consular . we don't want to give them the wrong information.

using her old passport to leave, and then once in the Ukraine get a new passport with her married name. means her airline ticket will not match up.

Does the Ukraine gov. give back old passport showing it's been cancelled? or do they keep them? if they give it back.
then i don't see a problem.she will have her new passport, her old passport showing how she arrived, and a notarized copy of her marriage certificate to get her back home.

however, why assume? she should ask. They may be able to send her a new passport with her new name via mail in time for this upcoming trip
and she won't have to worry about any of this.

here is the Ukraine embassy consular office in the U.S. number 202 349 2920

and website

http://usa.mfa.gov.ua/en/consular-affairs

flyingclrs727
Topic Author

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:07 pm

The Ukrainian consolate for permanent US residents living in Texas is in the embassy in Washington DC. Passport renewal requires going in person to the consulate assigned to the state of residence. It's too bad they are so rigid about the geographical division of their consulates. My wife has friends or family she can stay with in either San Francisco or New York. By the time I figure in travel costs for both of us to and from Washington, DC, it costs more to get the passport renewed in the US than for my wife to go back home to Odessa and get an expedited passport renewal there.

RyanairGuru

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:05 pm

What's the cost premium to book two one ways? IMHO that's the easiest way to go, one way booked in her maiden name and the other in her married name.

I would not dare book a return ticket until you have confirmed with the airline that they will accept the name change. Some airlines do not permit name changes at all and most others will charge a fee for changing the name.