1337Delta764
Topic Author

Area code overlays

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:36 am

I was wondering, does your local area have any area code overlays (or whatever the equivalent is in your country)?

Here in the Phoenix area we are one of the few major metro areas that still does not have any area code overlays. In 1999 a geographic split of Area Code 602 was chosen as the relief plan for the Phoenix area, with most of Phoenix proper keeping 602, the East Valley being assigned 480, and the West Valley being assigned 623.

However, Area Code 480 is expected to reach exhaustion in 2020, followed by Area Code 602 in 2022. Considering that Area Code 623 is underutilized, I wonder if there will be a boundary elimination overlay similar to the ones in Los Angeles and San Diego, where the geographic boundaries between the area codes are eliminated and all new numbers assigned are 623 numbers, thus not having to create a new area code.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

Okie

Re: Area code overlays

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:55 am

The complaints about area code overlays pretty much came to a stop due to smart/cell phone that use the name instead of a 10 digit number to make a call.

I work in an industry where people are constantly on the move and their area code may be from California or New Jersey even though they have lived in Oklahoma for many years.

The use of the area code to actually predict a person/company location is just useless anymore.
About the only thing an area code for personal use tells you is the first place someone bought a cell phone.

Okie

c933103

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:34 am

Area code probably still have their use in telling users where the phone come from, in China where they have no area code it seems like a must to have some kind of software installed onto each of those phone to tell users which city does the phone number originating the call belong to

afcjets

Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:11 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
I wonder if there will be a boundary elimination overlay similar to the ones in Los Angeles and San Diego, where the geographic boundaries between the area codes are eliminated

I have never heard the term area code overlay before but ironically my friend who lives in the 909 (San Bernardino County) just sent me this today. They are getting a new area code next year...

http://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/busin ... um=twitter

casinterest

Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:06 pm

I know people that move now and just keep their cell numbers from previous cities. So people in North Carolina still have Florida or New Jersey phone numbers
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:43 pm

afcjets wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:
I wonder if there will be a boundary elimination overlay similar to the ones in Los Angeles and San Diego, where the geographic boundaries between the area codes are eliminated

I have never heard the term area code overlay before but ironically my friend who lives in the 909 (San Bernardino County) just sent me this today. They are getting a new area code next year...

http://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/busin ... um=twitter

An overlay is where a new area code is assigned to an existing geographic area that already has an area code assigned. This is to provide relief to areas where existing area codes are running out of numbers.

Note that in the past overlays were met with resistance due to areas losing their geographic identity, as well as the requirement for 10-digit dialing for all local calls (even those with the same area code). In fact, Area Code 480 was originally supposed to be an overlay code for the entire Phoenix area, but residents preferred the three-way geographic split instead. With the greater use of cell phones, overlay codes aren't met with much resistance anymore. An overlay is now inevitable for the Phoenix area since 480 is expected to run out of numbers in 2020 followed by 602 in 2022.

Moose135

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:28 pm

casinterest wrote:
I know people that move now and just keep their cell numbers from previous cities. So people in North Carolina still have Florida or New Jersey phone numbers

I still have the same cell phone number I've had since 2001 - it is a 516 area code, from Nassau County, Long Island, NY. I've had it back in NY, in Pennsylvania, and now for the past 5 years in North Carolina. There are enough transplanted NYers that when I give someone my number (I don't have a land line at home) someone always seems to recognize it.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

stlgph

Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:34 pm

Hell you can live in New York and choose a number in Seattle if you want it's available with the network.
Really convenient if you're trying to get a phone number which spells WET-GIRL or what have you.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

jetwet1

Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:45 pm

Las Vegas got 725 (to go along with 702) back in 2014, while there was a general belief that confusion would rein and people would lose their minds trying to figure the change out, neither happened, in fact I have yet to even come across a 725 number.

WIederling

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:16 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
An overlay is where a new area code is assigned to an existing geographic area that already has an area code assigned. This is to provide relief to areas where existing area codes are running out of numbers.

If your numbering scheme was designed properly from the beginning that would not be neccessary.

( usually you go the escape route. you do not assign endpoints to some first digits.
i.e. start by assigning
"1" to special short 3 digit numbers ( fire, ambulance, police, dog catcher ( US its 9, right?)
2-7 in scope of 4 digit numbers 2345, 2111,5711. When you have
filled that up ( 6000 lines ) you move in the "8" and assign 6 digit numbers there for 100.000 lines
continue ad nauseam.)

obviously mobiles, and personal numbers have trashed any sane system now.
choice limited to increasing irrationality.
Murphy is an optimist

ktrick45

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:05 pm

In the Pittsburgh area, the 878 overlay code has been assigned, but I don't know if any 878 numbers have been assigned yet. The 412 area code was split into 412 and 724, with 412 assigned to most of Allegheny County and 724 to the other counties and the periphery of Allegheny County. 878 will be an overlay to both 412 and 724.

northstardc4m

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:40 pm

Yes all of the GTA ones do now...

416 has 647 for awhile and now 437 and already talking about a 4th...

905 has 289 and now 365 too

even the adjoining areas almost all do... 519/226, 705/249, 613/343
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

CONTACREW

Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:11 pm

Western Washington will be getting a new 564 area code as an overlay to the existing 425, 360, 206 & 253 area codes. So example in Seattle one can be living in a high rise with a 206 area code then someone moves in next door and gets assigned a 564 area code.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

rfields5421

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:50 pm

Back in the early 90s the phone companies proposed to overlay the existing 214 area code in the Dallas area with the new 972.

People didn't understand that 10 digit dialing was coming, no matter what happened. The Dallas city council threw huge fits about the horrible possibility that a person might have a different area code than their next door neighbor. They threatened to cancel Southwestern Bell's franchise for the city.

The phone company argument was that preserving a physical separation was technically difficult, and an overlay meant that no person, no business, no government organization had to change their phone number to a new area code.

After much argument and discussion, the various phone companies agreed - the City of Dallas and SWB would keep 214, while General Telephone (GTE) and other companies serving suburbs would change everyone to 972.

Come implementation day, actually a couple weeks before implementation, when people started to get notices that their new phone number would be XXX-XXX-XXXX - folks started to scream. The people and business in the suburbs, and 'shockingly' some people and businesses in the city of Dallas would also get the new area code. People who did not receive a notice about a change were unsure if their number would change or not.

Big confusion and the city council of Dallas demanding answers.

The SWB folks came to answer questions, and the answers were not satisfactory, until a briefcase toter pulled out a map.

"This is how the telephone areas were divided up in the 1950s. This is the map you refused to consider before. Notice how the areas between cities are divided up between the various companies. Southwestern Bell had some areas, other companies had some areas. Now, I'll put the current City of Dallas city limits boundaries over the older map.

Notice that you did not annex only areas that SWB controls, you also annexed some areas that other companies control. Notice also that some of the SWB areas are not in the City of Dallas.

People, this is how the wires run. We can't change that. We can't run new wires to match your city limits every time you want to make a change, unless you want to pay for tens of millions of dollars to change the wires.

We've kept every switching center in the city of Dallas on 214. Every switching center not located in the city of Dallas is now 972." (A paraphrase, I can't locate the exact quote, but it was very close.)

They didn't like the answer, but did see finally why an overlay was a better idea than a physical separation. Though of course, it was too late to go back to the original proposal.

Today, the Dallas area has 214, 972 and 469 area codes - with no physical division in practice, though it is unlikely a new non-cellular customer will get a 214 area code unless they actually live in the central core of Dallas.

dragon-wings

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:10 am

Here on Long Island (Suffolk County) we have 631 and 934. The 934 overlay was added last year. I don't like it because now if I make a call within Suffolk County I have to dial 1, then the area code (either 631 or 934), then the phone number.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

skywaymanaz

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:08 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
Area Code 480 was originally supposed to be an overlay code for the entire Phoenix area, but residents preferred the three-way geographic split instead. .

It was because people were in shock they'd have to dial 10 digits, even to call next door! It was short sighted and now doesn't matter since we dial by name from our smart phone. I figured the 3 way split would at best last 5 years then Scottsdale, Tempe and Mesa would fight over who keeps 480. Fortunately number conservation by handing out blocks of 1000 instead of 10,000 numbers helped reduce demand. Huge blocks of numbers were probably recovered from pager operations that fell out of favor not long after the 3 way split. At any rate now that we are going to exhaust around the end of the decade what I think will happen is they'll just have a new code overlayed over all 3 area codes. Kind of like how 917 overlays both 212 and 718. I don't think the new generation coming up now cares what code the number is but us older types have some attachment to them. It makes sense in LA to expand 213 back over 323 because that never should have been split to begin with and 323/213 is a very small area to begin with. I've always thought 623 should never be (re: 480 overlay onto old 602) but us old fogey types for better or worse think west valley when we see that number. At any rate hopefully we'll never see another area code split in the US but I expect things to get messy converting up from 10 to 12 digits in 20-40 years when we run out of overlay numbers. I think the proposal was to add 0 or 1 after the area code and the same number again before the prefix. So 602-555-1212 becomes 6021-1555-1212. Hopefully when the time comes there will be an app for that ;)

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:57 pm

skywaymanaz wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:
Area Code 480 was originally supposed to be an overlay code for the entire Phoenix area, but residents preferred the three-way geographic split instead. .

It was because people were in shock they'd have to dial 10 digits, even to call next door! It was short sighted and now doesn't matter since we dial by name from our smart phone. I figured the 3 way split would at best last 5 years then Scottsdale, Tempe and Mesa would fight over who keeps 480. Fortunately number conservation by handing out blocks of 1000 instead of 10,000 numbers helped reduce demand. Huge blocks of numbers were probably recovered from pager operations that fell out of favor not long after the 3 way split. At any rate now that we are going to exhaust around the end of the decade what I think will happen is they'll just have a new code overlayed over all 3 area codes. Kind of like how 917 overlays both 212 and 718. I don't think the new generation coming up now cares what code the number is but us older types have some attachment to them. It makes sense in LA to expand 213 back over 323 because that never should have been split to begin with and 323/213 is a very small area to begin with. I've always thought 623 should never be (re: 480 overlay onto old 602) but us old fogey types for better or worse think west valley when we see that number. At any rate hopefully we'll never see another area code split in the US but I expect things to get messy converting up from 10 to 12 digits in 20-40 years when we run out of overlay numbers. I think the proposal was to add 0 or 1 after the area code and the same number again before the prefix. So 602-555-1212 becomes 6021-1555-1212. Hopefully when the time comes there will be an app for that ;)

623 has a ton of spare capacity compared to 480 and 602, which is why I suggested the boundary elimination overlay, combining the three areas and having most new numbers assigned being 623 numbers.

11725Flyer

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:13 pm

No overlays where I live, but my county has three area codes: 813, 727, and 352.