Aesma
Topic Author

All hail the Gulf Stream !

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:37 pm

So I'm watching TV reports of the storm in New York City. I see that it's -9°C in Montreal. Meanwhile I'm further North than that city, in Paris, and it's 25 more degrees, beautiful blue sky, and since a few days I'm longing again for a droptop !

Well, after a quick google search, it might not be the Gulf Stream after all. Just the good idea to be on the right side of the ocean.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

einsteinboricua

Re: All hail the Gulf Stream !

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:24 pm

The jet stream has a lot to do with it too, not just the Gulf Stream. The moderate climate that Europe experiences on average is a combination of both the Gulf Stream (warm water headed north) and the North Atlantic Oscillation (a semi-permanent rotation in the atmospheric winds, which dictates how far north or south the jet stream in Europe will go). Because there's a cold blast along the East Coast, it's safe the say the jet stream has formed a valley...but as waves go, wherever there's a valley, there surely must be a crest elsewhere (maybe not as pronounced but further north than normal). Looking at a a map of the jet stream, the valley is defined and the crest is out on the West coast.

As for where Europe is concerned, the jet stream is currently buffeting the North Sea. There seems to be a low pressure just off the Algeria-Morocco border which probably explains why France is currently experiencing dry, warmer conditions (low pressure spins counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere so the position is bringing air from the Sahara desert). This also leads me to believe that the North Atlantic Oscillation is not driving this weather pattern.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Dutchy

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:32 pm

Interesting, very nice wether in the Netherlands as well, spring has arrived! Almost time to hit the terraces again :D. And we are 500km more north then you in Paris.

I always thought it was the Gulf stream and the jet stream, gulf stream for warmer water and the jet stream for blowing the warmed up air towards the land. So no cold winters for us and moderate summers. Sea climate instead of a land climate.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Airstud

Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:25 am

Aesma wrote:
So I'm watching TV reports of the storm in New York City. I see that it's -9°C in Montreal. Meanwhile I'm further North than that city, in Paris, and it's 25 more degrees, beautiful blue sky, and since a few days I'm longing again for a droptop !

Well, after a quick google search, it might not be the Gulf Stream after all. Just the good idea to be on the right side of the ocean.

However, over there you have to eat snails.

Gross.
Pancakes are delicious.

Dutchy

Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:28 am

Airstud wrote:
Aesma wrote:

However, over there you have to eat snails.

Gross.

Indeed, that is mendetory, there even is a snail police in France.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Aesma
Topic Author

Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:46 pm

I find live oysters more shocking. And they're more commonly eaten than escargots.

As for frogs, they're a rare delicacy, I'm fine with eating them though.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

GrahamHill

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:37 pm

Aesma wrote:

It's -10°C in Montreal right now, and we've had tons of snow over the last couple of days, but this winter has been unusually warm. In January and February, we usually have between -10°C and -25°C, but this year it was more +5°C to -10°C.

Aesma wrote:
I find live oysters more shocking. And they're more commonly eaten than escargots.

As for frogs, they're a rare delicacy, I'm fine with eating them though.

I agree for oysters. I just don't understand how people can eat a living mollusc.

Snails and frogs are really good.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere