Airstud
Topic Author
Posts: 3262
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:19 pm

...is the claim made on Facebook above the following logic problem:

1 + 4 = 5

2 + 5 = 12

3 + 6 = 21

5 + 8 = ??

I get 37.
Pancakes are delicious.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 5570
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:29 pm

45
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.
 
TheF15Ace
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:27 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:33 pm

I got 45
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 750
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:33 pm

It's 34
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA
 
VSMUT
Posts: 715
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:35 pm

2 + 5 = 7

3 + 6 = 9

5 + 8 = 13

Seriously, this is basic stuff.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 3797
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:44 pm

I got 34
 
Airstud
Topic Author
Posts: 3262
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:49 pm

Everyone on the Facebook thread seems to have gotten 34 or 45.

I'm the only one out there (I think) who got 37. :boggled:
Pancakes are delicious.
 
captaink
Posts: 3999
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 10:43 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:50 pm

45... When do you show our explanation?
There is something special about planes....
 
Okie
Posts: 3674
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:30 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:51 pm

I got 34.


Okie
 
ANITIX87
Posts: 2985
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:52 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:55 pm

The correct answer is 45.

For those who get 45:
Formula is x + y = z, where the result is taken by doing x + (x * y) = z.
Therefore, 1 + 4 = 1 + (1 * 4) = 5. For the last row, 5 + 8 = 5 + (5 * 8) = 45.
This is the ONLY correct answer which works for any x and y values.

For those who get 34:
Formula is x + y = z, where the result is taken by doing x + y + ("result from previous row") = z.
Using that, 5 + 8 = 5 + 8 + 21 = 34. However, there is a row missing for 4 + 7 so you cannot prove that this is the formula.
This DOES NOT work for all x and y values since you need information on previous instances, which negates the premise of a formula.

It's a silly problem, as it's not mathematically correct and the lack of information means it sort of has two answers, as I've shown, if you assume that only the rows presented exist in the problem.
Last edited by ANITIX87 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 5570
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:00 pm

Airstud wrote:
Everyone on the Facebook thread seems to have gotten 34 or 45.

I'm the only one out there (I think) who got 37. :boggled:



I could make a strong argument for 37. but it includes making an assumption of the questioners intent on missing a line. So I stand by 45
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.
 
ANITIX87
Posts: 2985
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:52 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:01 pm

casinterest wrote:
I could make a strong argument for 37. but it includes making an assumption of the questioners intent on missing a line. So I stand by 45

How can you make an argument for 37? I put in the argument for 34, but I can't get 37 no matter what assumptions I make.

If you assume the missing row using the formula for 34, you get:
3 + 6 = 21
4 + 7 = 32
5 + 8 = 45
Last edited by ANITIX87 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 5570
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:05 pm

ANITIX87 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
I could make a strong argument for 37. but it includes making an assumption of the questioners intent on missing a line. So I stand by 45

How can you make an argument for 37? I put in the argument for 34, but I can't get 37 no matter what assumptions I make.



If you assume that the real equation is N=(x+(y*z)) where y is the line number. so the last line would be 5+(4*8)=37 Like I said, it works out, but it is not logical based on the fact that the missing numbers (4+7) would fall apart if reintroduced.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.
 
ANITIX87
Posts: 2985
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:52 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:06 pm

casinterest wrote:
If you assume that the real equation is N=(x+(y*z)) where y is the line number. so the last line would be 5+(4*8)=37 Like I said, it works out, but it is not logical based on the fact that the missing numbers (4+7) would fall apart if reintroduced.


Interesting, my mind never went in that direction. As the row numbers aren't shown, I didn't even entertain the idea of using them. As you say, the logic falls apart when considering the lack of 4 + 7.
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4
 
Airstud
Topic Author
Posts: 3262
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:07 pm

ANITIX87 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
I could make a strong argument for 37. but it includes making an assumption of the questioners intent on missing a line. So I stand by 45

How can you make an argument for 37? I put in the argument for 34, but I can't get 37 no matter what assumptions I make.


In each statement; the 2nd operand is multiplied by +1 to said multiplier in the previous statement. Hence 8 → 32.

Edit: casinterest & I clicked submit at the same time :-/
Pancakes are delicious.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 6433
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:27 pm

ANITIX87 wrote:
there is a row missing
[...]
It's a silly problem, as it's not mathematically correct and the lack of information means it sort of has two answers, as I've shown, if you assume that only the rows presented exist in the problem.


My issue is with the assumption it is requiring you to make. If one is required to assume that a missing row is to be included in the final answer then the answer could also be "infinity" as you could logically equally assume that every row thereafter should be included.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 5570
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:47 pm

ANITIX87 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
If you assume that the real equation is N=(x+(y*z)) where y is the line number. so the last line would be 5+(4*8)=37 Like I said, it works out, but it is not logical based on the fact that the missing numbers (4+7) would fall apart if reintroduced.


Interesting, my mind never went in that direction. .


If you have ever debugged enough code, you will learn your mind has to examine all the possibilities. Off by one errors are prevalent is software engineering.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.
 
User avatar
SAS A340
Posts: 742
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 5:59 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:03 pm

45 for sure :)
It's not what u do,it's how u do it!
 
mham001
Posts: 4688
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:52 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:18 pm

45. I just took that online IQ test (139), it was full of these.
 
JoeCanuck
Posts: 4144
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:30 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:47 pm

I got 45...and a headache.
What the...?
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 4493
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:02 pm

45 as 4+7 is missing.
 
User avatar
AirPacific747
Posts: 9556
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:16 pm

45 for sure. First you multiply the first digit with the second, then you add the first digit to the multiplied number. It didn't seem very difficult as it was easy to pick up the logic using the examples above.
 
User avatar
Dreadnought
Posts: 10152
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:47 pm

34
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - W. Churchill
 
User avatar
afterburner
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:38 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:13 pm

Airstud wrote:
Everyone on the Facebook thread seems to have gotten 34 or 45.

I'm the only one out there (I think) who got 37. :boggled:

37 for me.

Wait. I changed my mind. It's 45.
 
User avatar
cjg225
Posts: 1528
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:38 pm

ANITIX87 wrote:
It's a silly problem, as it's not mathematically correct and the lack of information means it sort of has two answers, as I've shown, if you assume that only the rows presented exist in the problem.

Yeah. I got 45, but the way it's written is just so dumb. Someone trying to be way too cute with a "logic" problem.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 750
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:09 pm

ANITIX87 wrote:
The correct answer is 45.

For those who get 45:
Formula is x + y = z, where the result is taken by doing x + (x * y) = z.
Therefore, 1 + 4 = 1 + (1 * 4) = 5. For the last row, 5 + 8 = 5 + (5 * 8) = 45.
This is the ONLY correct answer which works for any x and y values.

For those who get 34:
Formula is x + y = z, where the result is taken by doing x + y + ("result from previous row") = z.
Using that, 5 + 8 = 5 + 8 + 21 = 34. However, there is a row missing for 4 + 7 so you cannot prove that this is the formula.
This DOES NOT work for all x and y values since you need information on previous instances, which negates the premise of a formula.

It's a silly problem, as it's not mathematically correct and the lack of information means it sort of has two answers, as I've shown, if you assume that only the rows presented exist in the problem.


4+7? Shouldn't it be 5+7 = 12?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA
 
ANITIX87
Posts: 2985
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:52 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:09 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
4+7? Shouldn't it be 5+7 = 12?

No, the last two rows are:

3 + 6 = 21
5 + 8 = ??

The missing row is, therefore, 4 + 7.
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 750
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:21 am

ANITIX87 wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
4+7? Shouldn't it be 5+7 = 12?

No, the last two rows are:

3 + 6 = 21
5 + 8 = ??

The missing row is, therefore, 4 + 7.


But you're assuming that a row is missing. If you assume that there's no missing rows then the answer is correct!
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA
 
DLFREEBIRD
Posts: 660
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:00 am

i got 45 following a pattern, but since it said 97% of you would get it wrong and almost everyone here says 45
maybe the answer is hiding in plain sight and is just 12?
.
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 4493
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:52 am

You mean 13, if we assume the line is broken due to the missing 4+7 and starts again.
 
User avatar
cjg225
Posts: 1528
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:30 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
i got 45 following a pattern, but since it said 97% of you would get it wrong and almost everyone here says 45
maybe the answer is hiding in plain sight and is just 12?
.

5 plus 8 is 13.

The interesting thing is that you can be "wrong" no matter what, since the person determining if you're wrong is the person who first presents this problem, because only that person knows whether they want to pull a fast one by saying it's just 5+8=13 or making you read a formula into the entire set that you need to figure out and apply.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...
 
DLFREEBIRD
Posts: 660
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:16 pm

lol yes, i meant 13
 
ANITIX87
Posts: 2985
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:52 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:38 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
But you're assuming that a row is missing. If you assume that there's no missing rows then the answer is correct!

5+7 doesn't appear anywhere in the problem.
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 750
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:17 am

ANITIX87 wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
But you're assuming that a row is missing. If you assume that there's no missing rows then the answer is correct!

5+7 doesn't appear anywhere in the problem.


It's 2+5+5 on the second equation
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA
 
Raventech
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:25 pm

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:50 am

I got 45, I did it based on finding a pattern and fitting am equating to it like one of the guys above, and the "true" equation I saw was n=x*(y+1)
 
ANITIX87
Posts: 2985
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:52 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:35 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
It's 2+5+5 on the second equation

What? That has nothing to do with what I was saying and with what I thought you were saying. Run through the problem row by row and tell me what you're doing.
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 750
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:13 pm

ANITIX87 wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
It's 2+5+5 on the second equation

What? That has nothing to do with what I was saying and with what I thought you were saying. Run through the problem row by row and tell me what you're doing.


It's exactly what you're saying = X + Y + (result from previous row) = Z

1) 1 + 4 + (0) = 5

2) 2 + 5 + (5) = 12

3) 3 + 6 + (12) = 21

4) 5 + 8 + (21) = 34
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA
 
ANITIX87
Posts: 2985
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:52 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:19 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
It's exactly what you're saying = X + Y + (result from previous row) = Z

1) 1 + 4 + (0) = 5

2) 2 + 5 + (5) = 12

3) 3 + 6 + (12) = 21

4) 5 + 8 + (21) = 34

Right, I was saying there's a row for 4+7 missing, and you corrected me to say it should be 5+7.
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4
 
User avatar
Mortyman
Posts: 4481
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:26 pm

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:43 pm

45
 
User avatar
Quantos
Posts: 297
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:29 pm

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:55 pm

34 seems correct when you go with the assumption that the values given are the only one in the series. If there is indeed a 4+7 not shown, but implied, then 45 would be the only answer. Pedantic me would say that there is no indication of a missing row, like a "..." or "[...]", so I'm saying 34 is absolutely a correct answer based on the parameters provided!
Quantos,

I maintain the Bombardier C Series Aircraft Status sheet: https://goo.gl/HZshto
Feel free to comment on the sheet with any improvement suggestions and data update requests! Thanks to Paolo92 for his advice!
 
User avatar
Braybuddy
Posts: 6036
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:59 am

It's impossible to get a correct answer with a flawed formula, so the 97 per cent are not wrong at all.
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 4493
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: 97% of you will get this wrong...

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:03 am

Quantos wrote:
34 seems correct when you go with the assumption that the values given are the only one in the series. If there is indeed a 4+7 not shown, but implied, then 45 would be the only answer. Pedantic me would say that there is no indication of a missing row, like a "..." or "[...]", so I'm saying 34 is absolutely a correct answer based on the parameters provided!


13 would make sense, if you believe the line was broken (missing 4+7) and the formula starts new with 5+8

34 would make sense, if you believe the line continues

45 would make sense, if you believe that the missing 4+7 is implied

With this not precise starting formula it is up to the person asking the question to decidce what he thinks is correct.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1337Delta764, alberchico, Dutchy, hoons90, OA412 and 3 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos