Dutchy
Topic Author

Re: Turkish referendum

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:53 pm

Jetty wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
What is next for Erdogan? How far does he want this to take?

Relations will remain strained for a while but besides that not much will happen. All measures are symbolic and the Dutch government doesn't care enough to react in a similar way. In a week or so Erdogan will have found another enemy to make bizarre ramblings about.

yeas, so this will continue till the Turkish referendum is over?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

seahawk

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:55 pm

What will happen though is a sharp drop in tourists from the EU, which dire consequences for the Turkish torusim industry, but Erdogan will blame it on the Germans and that they have betrayed Turkey. Funny thing is he wants to built a dictatorship and Europe helps him doing it.

tommy1808

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:59 pm

Dutchy wrote:
yeas, so this will continue till the Turkish referendum is over?

Well, at some point we start tossing people into Jail cells and Turkey quickly runs out of people to send...

best regards
Thomas
Crooked Donald Trump an his team are extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information. Not fit! #muchworsethanclinton

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:25 am

Jetty wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
What is next for Erdogan? How far does he want this to take?

Relations will remain strained for a while but besides that not much will happen. All measures are symbolic and the Dutch government doesn't care enough to react in a similar way. In a week or so Erdogan will have found another enemy to make bizarre ramblings about.

probably, but also this will have consequences for Turkey. Can't imagine that the EU will be in talks for a membership, so those millions will be gone in the short term, hopefully. That would be an appropriate response,

tommy1808

Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:09 am

Dutchy wrote:
That would be an appropriate response,

That will come all by itself.Foreign investments in Turkey have pretty much disappeared, Tourism is way down (plus prices dropping like a stone), the economy as a whole is taking a 2008 style dive.

Strong man can become amazingly unpopular very quickly when people get holes in their pockets.

best regards
Thomas
Crooked Donald Trump an his team are extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information. Not fit! #muchworsethanclinton

zkojq

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:54 pm

The good thing about all of this nonsense is that Erdogan has basically guaranteed that Turkey will never be an EU member. In times like this though, I wish that the EU would have more of a backbone and put up a decent response to Erdogan's politics. Times are very tough for fellow EU member Greece whilst Erdogan is trampling all over the EU (as well as every democratic principle imaginable). The EU could kill two birds with one stone, helping out Greece and putting a stop to Erdogan's insolence (well, we can dream of this ;) ) by canceling air transport agreements with Turkey.

I'm not one to dream about starting trade wars, but it would be nice if the EU stood up for itself properly for once. :smile:
First to fly the 787-9 (ZK-NZE, NZ103, 2014-10-09)

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:31 pm

"Erdogan has basically guaranteed that Turkey will never be an EU member" it will never be an EU member under Erdogan, it has taken many steps away from membership and complying with basic democratic principals and even basic human rights.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:14 pm

Erdogan goes on to insult Europeans. Ah well, humor is the best medicine (Dutch saying) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oXJj5bDhc4

tommy1808

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:27 pm

"Zondag met Lubach" is always fun to watch.

Kinda like the Dutch SNL, for those that need info to place it.

Best regards
Thomas

Dutchy
Topic Author

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:03 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
"Zondag met Lubach" is always fun to watch.

Kinda like the Dutch SNL, for those that need info to place it.

Best regards
Thomas

More a Dutch Last week tonight with John Oliver. Lubachs team was also behind The Netherlands second clip :D

Good to see you watch Dutch television, Thomas, though you were German

tommy1808

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:02 am

Dutchy wrote:
More a Dutch Last week tonight with John Oliver. Lubachs team was also behind The Netherlands second clip :D

Yeah, that is probably a better comparison..

Good to see you watch Dutch television, Thomas, though you were German

I am, but i grew up in bike distance from Emmen, and the dutch there is similar enough to the local low German to understand (that effect disappears quickly deeper into the Netherlandds) and the best thing about my parents going out on Saturday was that i could wacht Battlestar Galactica, the 1978 Version, on Dutch Television sometimes around 7 pm.
And since i moved from Hannover, going to an Albert Heijn or Jumbo is an about 20 minutes drive. That god, you have no idea how hard it is to get good peanut butter in Germany unless you make it yourself.... or Coconut Water, convenience food that deserves being called food. I also noticed that the cheapest shit-oh-my-god-it-is-so-bad coffee is sold in a German package...... (Kaffee Club or something like that).
I also did work for a taiwanese Company in Rotterdam for 2 years. Unfortunately my talent for language is very limited, so i can understand much, but not really speak beyond ordering a coffee.

But i digress....

best regards
Thomas

ExDubai

Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:24 am

Dutchy wrote:
Erdogan goes on to insult Europeans. Ah well, humor is the best medicine (Dutch saying) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oXJj5bDhc4

Talking about humor, what happened with the Dutch cows? ;)
Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven

ikramerica

Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:29 pm

ExDubai wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Talking about humor, what happened with the Dutch cows? ;)

He directly threatened all of Europe with Islamic terrorism and "not being safe on the streets" and then within 24 hours someone in London plows over people in the street.

Bring him up on charges in The Hague.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.