Hillis
Topic Author

Another Day, Another Example Of Incompetence

Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:07 am

This time, Attorney General Sessions fires 46 attorneys without even notifying them or giving them a heads up.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/10/politics/ ... index.html

From top to bottom, this administration is incompetent and unfit to serve.
B737-100, B737-200, B737-300, B737-500, B737-700, B737-800, B737-900, B727, B-707 DC-10, MD-11, 763, 764, 777, 757-200, 757-300, A-319, A-320, A-321, A-300, ERJ-145, ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190, CRJ-100, CRJ-200, DASH-2, DASH-3, DASH-8, BAE-146

ltbewr

Re: Another Day, Another Example Of Incompetence

Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:00 pm

First, all US District Attorneys are usually removed and replaced if a change in party of the President as appointed positions. They are highly prized positions as appointees can use their positions for later political or judicial positions or go into lucrative private law practice after their service. They are prizes for party loyalists and nominees are or are proposed by leaders of the President's party. Appointees can also be used to target certain persons for prosecution or not. President Trump* appointees will most likely only go after Democrat politicians for corruption and ignore almost all of Republican politicians, not support civil and voting rights, target 'left wing' protesters, harsh on any Islamic connected terrorism and most important, not go after crimes by business and rich persons.

Dutchy

Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:11 pm

ltbewr wrote:
First, all US District Attorneys are usually removed and replaced if a change in party of the President as appointed positions. They are highly prized positions as appointees can use their positions for later political or judicial positions or go into lucrative private law practice after their service. They are prizes for party loyalists and nominees are or are proposed by leaders of the President's party. Appointees can also be used to target certain persons for prosecution or not. President Trump* appointees will most likely only go after Democrat politicians for corruption and ignore almost all of Republican politicians, not support civil and voting rights, target 'left wing' protesters, harsh on any Islamic connected terrorism and most important, not go after crimes by business and rich persons.

From a trias politica standpoint, this sounds very bad.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

EA CO AS

Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:46 am

Hillis wrote:
This time, Attorney General Sessions fires 46 attorneys without even notifying them or giving them a heads up.

So I guess President Clinton was doubly incompetent and unfit to serve, then? After all, he fired DOUBLE that number in 1993 after taking office, sparing only one holdover:

Don't bother answering; I'll show myself out...
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

NIKV69

Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:56 am

Are you going to start a low quality I hate Trump thread every day? Really buddy time to get a reality check.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

einsteinboricua

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:06 am

EA CO AS wrote:
After all, he fired DOUBLE that number in 1993 after taking office, sparing only one holdover

Did he fire them all at once effective almost immediately? Or was the change gradual? Did he have replacements in line or did he moan about how Republicans in Congress were holding up his (non-existing) appointees?

THAT, my friend, is the difference. It's normal to assume that appointed positions will be shown out the door when there's a change of administration. What is not normal is leaving all institutions without someone in charge unless the replacement is already in line for a confirmation. So now there will be offices that, so far, don't have a replacement or an understudy for them. Sure, they have an acting official...but we saw how that turned out when the acting attorney general declined to defend the travel ban.

And when you tell someone that you want them to stay in their position, you expect them to follow through, and if you're going back on your word, at the very least allow them time to get their affairs in order.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

dtw2hyd

Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:02 am

The biggest mistake Trump did is not firing ALL Obama staff. Transition team should have asked everyone to resign on Nov 7, 2016.

Trump tried to extend olive branch by keeping all of them including WH staff, they showed their true colors by leaking information and working against them.

I am sure Honorable SDNY Judges are thankful to Trump for this action. There are other DAs who achieved more without much publicity who resigned when asked.

DQDA and CNN are perfect match. Also karma is a ....

On my cue, can someone say I am supporting Wall Street crooks.

Scorpio

Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:45 am

EA CO AS wrote:
Hillis wrote:

So I guess President Clinton was doubly incompetent and unfit to serve, then? After all, he fired DOUBLE that number in 1993 after taking office, sparing only one holdover:

Don't bother answering; I'll show myself out...

The entire purpose of this thread just went right over your head there, didn't it?

I'll bet you never even bothered to read the article that Hillis linked to.

einsteinboricua

Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:08 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Transition team should have asked everyone to resign on Nov 7, 2016.

The transition team has no power until the president-elect takes office. All the transition team does is coordinate between the outgoing administration and the incoming one. The agency directors all left their posts effective on inauguration day (which is the day they should leave).

dtw2hyd wrote:
Trump tried to extend olive branch by keeping all of them including WH staff
No. Trump didn't extend an olive branch. Trump didn't have people to replace those appointees at the time and asked them to remain there for the time being. That is WAY different. To have extended an olive branch would have meant to tell them they were DEFINITELY staying on (and it would have been asked way before the date it was: Jan 19).

dtw2hyd wrote:
they showed their true colors by leaking information and working against them.
And your evidence for this?

L410Turbolet

Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:52 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
The biggest mistake Trump did is not firing ALL Obama staff. Transition team should have asked everyone to resign on Nov 7, 2016.

This is straight from Putin's totalitarian playbook. Besides, quality people are not exactly standing in lines to work for this administration of clowns, are they? I mean reality TV participants getting jobs at the WH... that looks like the ultimate sign of desperation.

dtw2hyd

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:13 pm

What ever is the reason, Trump broke the tradition and kept Obama staff. If he was hell bent on it, he could have replaced with any dummies. Do you think experienced people lined up for Obama. No. They stumbled initially and gained experience.

What is not leaked? Did people leaked videos of heated debates in oval office?

Now out of spite, Trump is trying to eliminate Obama's legacy. When he is done it will be like for 8 years nothing happened in federal government. Dems and CNN are responsible for this.

L410Turbolet

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:28 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Trump is trying to eliminate Obama's legacy. When he is done it will be like for 8 years nothing happened in federal government. Dems and CNN are responsible for this.

One would think he should be foremost concerned what his legacy will be in four years. Other than legacy of outsourcing his job to Kremlin and to that Bannon "just call me Heinrich" weirdo.

dtw2hyd wrote:
Do you think experienced people lined up for Obama. No.

Didn't Gates serve under Bush and then Obama?

Hillis
Topic Author

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:47 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Are you going to start a low quality I hate Trump thread every day? Really buddy time to get a reality check.

And you continue to read them, don't you NIK? What me to run out that old Obi Wan Kenobi quote about the fool?
B737-100, B737-200, B737-300, B737-500, B737-700, B737-800, B737-900, B727, B-707 DC-10, MD-11, 763, 764, 777, 757-200, 757-300, A-319, A-320, A-321, A-300, ERJ-145, ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190, CRJ-100, CRJ-200, DASH-2, DASH-3, DASH-8, BAE-146

dtw2hyd

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:00 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
Trump is trying to eliminate Obama's legacy. When he is done it will be like for 8 years nothing happened in federal government. Dems and CNN are responsible for this.

One would think he should be foremost concerned what his legacy will be in four years. Other than legacy of outsourcing his job to Kremlin and to that Bannon "just call me Heinrich" weirdo.

dtw2hyd wrote:
Do you think experienced people lined up for Obama. No.

Didn't Gates serve under Bush and then Obama?

He don't need to worry about his legacy. America has been reset. No one can say "this is how we do things in America" going forward. That was a drag on entire country.

People voted for Trump after Billy Bush tape, do you think they would care if he has some loans in Russia or golden showers on tape.

Have you seen Comedy Central Roast of Trump in 2011, I honestly thought he could never run for office after that, boy I was wrong.

Is there any rule only Western Europe, Australia, Israel, Saudi, UAE, Qatar, China and Ukraine can influence US. Even Obama realized we have been taken for a ride, Iranian deal was to counter balance Saudi,UAE, Qatar and Israeli influence.

Looks like lot of countries are worried their influence may be wiped out if US is closer to Russia.

TWA772LR

Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:53 pm

Hillis wrote:

You really love to live in fear, don't you? Seriously, you're going to give yourself a peptic ulcer or a brain tumor.

If you don't like what is going on, write your Senators or Representative.
Eat 'em up Kats!

NIKV69

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:58 am

Hillis wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

And you continue to read them, don't you NIK? What me to run out that old Obi Wan Kenobi quote about the fool?

Well I was going to suggest deletion but it had too many replies so I thought I would be heard. Seriously you need a time out.

seb146

Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:10 am

NIKV69 wrote:

We put up with it for eight years under Obama. The difference being Obama was a Constitutional scholar and actually qualified. The current administration head is a failed business person with zero experience at anything but spending money. As terrible as they are, even Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio are infinitely more qualified than the current cheeto in control.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

seb146

Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:11 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Hillis wrote:

You really love to live in fear, don't you? Seriously, you're going to give yourself a peptic ulcer or a brain tumor.

With all the attacks on Muslims, Jews, Blacks, Latinos, LGBTQ, why should we AMERICANS not be scared?

NIKV69

Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:19 am

LOL Hey guys was Clinton and Reno incompetent?

http://thefederalistpapers.org/us/1993- ... oj-firings

stlgph

Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:03 am

seb146 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

We put up with it for eight years under Obama. The difference being Obama was a Constitutional scholar and actually qualified. The current administration head is a failed business person with zero experience at anything but spending money. As terrible as they are, even Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio are infinitely more qualified than the current cheeto in control.

It'd be cute if you would stop your constant whining for say 5-10 seconds and would read the Constitution about the qualifications to be President.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

NIKV69

Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:28 am

stlgph wrote:
seb146 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

It'd be cute if you would stop your constant whining for say 5-10 seconds and would read the Constitution about the qualifications to be President.

Serioulsy Obama and his wife hated this country and successful people and did all they could to punish the rich and reward the couch potato xbox playing druggies who can't make it in life and wrecked our economy doing it.

TWA772LR

Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:36 am

seb146 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
Hillis wrote:

With all the attacks on Muslims, Jews, Blacks, Latinos, LGBTQ, why should we AMERICANS not be scared?

There's a difference between being scared and not doing anything about it, than being scared and doing something about it. I'm American too, but I don't dwell on all the stuff that's happening. I've done that before about other matters in my life and it is extremely unhealthy for you psychically and mentally.

If anything I'm the one that should be the most cared because I'm a straight millennial middle class white Catholic male that is politically independent. My category(ies) are the ones that are most demonized from one side of the spectrum or another. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to have a civilized political/social discussion with a Republican with them viewing me as a God-less pot head, or a discussion with a Democrat with them labeling me as a Nazi. To play the millennial card, it's totally awesome hearing every day that my peers and I are single-handedly blamed for the pussification and downfall of America. Both parties are out to help either the super rich or the super poor, but there's this class in the middle that happens to be the largest that gets the shaft more so than those groups. You get the picture of where I'm going.

After college, I intend on applying for Navy OCS to serve my country. I don't believe in "Make America great again" because we already were great. I believe it so much that I am willing to put my life on the line to protect the Constitution. I love my right to vote. I love my right to own a firearm. I love my right to call an elected official a jackass without the threat of punishment. I love the fact that the Founding Father's created the Bill of Rights to protect the citizens from the government. I love my right to contact my Senators and/or Representative (which I have done to help with an issue that I had with the government) to have my voice heard. 45 blood-less transfers of power later, the system is still working. Yeah it needs to be cleaned up and isn't perfect, but it is good enough for me and millions of others.

Sure, I could make a thread about something new I don't like about the world. I choose not to. I choose to either get over it, or to make the best out of what I have; and let me tell ya, I'm pretty damn good at the later.

*Steps off soapbox*
Eat 'em up Kats!

Scorpio

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:18 am

NIKV69 wrote:

LOL Hey NIK did you, just like EA CO AS completely miss the point of this thread and NOT read the link in the OP? Could that be it? I think it is!

Because you're the second person to post that exact same letter as some sort of evidence that the complaints here are unjustified. The complaint here is NOT that those attorneys were asked to resign, it is the way in which it happened: they were not informed beforehand, and had to find out from the media that they were being fired. THAT is the incompetence being referred to here. Or are you seriously going to try and pretend that's a correct way to do this?

What you (and it appears the right-wing 'alternative fact' media) did it set up a strawman. One you right-winger will gladly fall for, but still a strawman.

Scorpio

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:21 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Serioulsy Obama and his wife hated this country and successful people and did all they could to punish the rich and reward the couch potato xbox playing druggies who can't make it in life and wrecked our economy doing it.

Could you possibly be any more stereotypical? Obama and his wife hated the country? Really? How on earth do you expect to be taken seriously by anyone with an IQ higher than their shoesize with a dumb remark like that?

And how exactly did he 'wreck the economy'? It's considerably stronger now than it was whe he took office.

tommy1808

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:30 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
The biggest mistake Trump did is not firing ALL Obama staff. Transition team should have asked everyone to resign on Nov 7, 2016. .

You mean to say there was a fix in? Or how else did the Trump team know they would win the next day?

best regards
Thomas
This signature is a safe space for Trump supporters....

dtw2hyd

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:30 am

tommy1808 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
The biggest mistake Trump did is not firing ALL Obama staff. Transition team should have asked everyone to resign on Nov 7, 2016. .

You mean to say there was a fix in? Or how else did the Trump team know they would win the next day?

best regards
Thomas

You got me.

tommy1808

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:45 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
You got me.

:)

But funny thing, first Trump says he is going to keep him around, just to fire him the moment he finds out that may be the guy investigating him.... well, normal modus operandi for a criminal i guess. The Mafia shoots or blows up judges, the godfather just dismisses them.

best regards
Thomas

NIKV69

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:12 pm

Scorpio wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

LOL Hey NIK did you, just like EA CO AS completely miss the point of this thread and NOT read the link in the OP? Could that be it? I think it is!

Because you're the second person to post that exact same letter as some sort of evidence that the complaints here are unjustified. The complaint here is NOT that those attorneys were asked to resign, it is the way in which it happened: they were not informed beforehand, and had to find out from the media that they were being fired. THAT is the incompetence being referred to here. Or are you seriously going to try and pretend that's a correct way to do this?

What you (and it appears the right-wing 'alternative fact' media) did it set up a strawman. One you right-winger will gladly fall for, but still a strawman.

The argument (as in many Trump smears here) is invalid. In the year 2017 the news cycle with the help of social media and leaks basically guarantees the media will get the story out first. As compared to 1992 where the news moved much slower and we didn't have the internet.

The OP and link was designed to do one thing. Play politics with a topic and process that is exactly the same with every change of administrations. Just because the lawyers that actually knew back in Nov this would happen didn't get a robe and slippers out the door doesn't mean there is any incompetence. It's just another figment of your degrading emotional and imagination state that you should really get a handle on.

You guys are really reaching and it's sad. You should go back to the start of the Elizabeth Warren campaign. You would feel better.

tommy1808

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:17 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
The argument (as in many Trump smears here) is invalid..

Reality is valid independent of your acceptance. You don´t get to define the issue away.

A president in office fires the attorney bound to investigate just him. That screams "conflict of interest".

But since you are just peachy with a wife beating rapist holding the highest office in your country, attempting to hide his treason will of course not phase you.

best regards
Thomas

Scorpio

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:42 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
The argument (as in many Trump smears here) is invalid.

What, because you say so? They found out in the media because the DoJ announced it in a statement. And the DoJ released the statement before informing the people involved. This isn't about some press leak, or the press 'getting the story out first'. This is about the DoJ officially informing the press about this BEFORE informing the people involved. All of this is in the article in the OP, an article you very clearly did not bother to read.

So yes, the argument is very much valid.

Try to at least inform yourself before responding here. Try to at least find out what happened. You'll look a little less silly.

NIKV69

Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:47 pm

Scorpio wrote:
Try to at least inform yourself before responding here. Try to at least find out what happened. You'll look a little less silly.

I am the only informed person here. You are losing your grip on reality and just keep banging away on that keyboard hoping the Rachel Maddow talking points you recite without thought will somehow bring Hillary to white house.

The firings were nothing more than standard operating procedure that the crazed media (that cant handle Hillary's loss) will use as some made up story smearing Sessions and the administration. A story that sheep like you will take as truth.

If you keep reciting it maybe it will become true.

You got a long 8 years bud. Take some time away and get better.

dtw2hyd

Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:20 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Rachel Maddow talking points

Haven't watched in a while, but watching Rachel is a very involved process, you have watch entire show to know which topic she is on.

On the other hand in few minutes you would know Jake Tapper lost his marbles.

Pyrex

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:23 pm

Preet Bharara is just another jackass NY prosecutor with a penchant for prosecutorial misconduct, abuse of power and self promotion, in the "best" tradition of Eliot Spitzer, Eric Schneiderman, Andrew Cuomo, etc. I am sure he will just use this as another step in his political career.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Scorpio

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:57 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Scorpio wrote:

I am the only informed person here. You are losing your grip on reality and just keep banging away on that keyboard hoping the Rachel Maddow talking points you recite without thought will somehow bring Hillary to white house.

The firings were nothing more than standard operating procedure that the crazed media (that cant handle Hillary's loss) will use as some made up story smearing Sessions and the administration. A story that sheep like you will take as truth.

If you keep reciting it maybe it will become true.

You got a long 8 years bud. Take some time away and get better.

It is very intersting to note that in that entire response, you managed to completely ignore the point I was making in my previous posts. For some bizarre reason you now go back to the argument that this is about the fact that those attorneys were fired, and not the manner in which it happened. I say 'for some bizarre reason', but of course I know what the reason is: you tried in your previous reply to justify the mishandling of the firings by the administration, and showed your ignorance doing so, as clearly you were not aware that it was the DoJ itself that issued an official statement before contacting the affected people, and not a press leak as you claimed. So your justification was shown to be false, and therefore you do what people tend to do in that case: you revert back to the strawman.

Badly.

Simple question: do you think it is a correct procedure to officially announce the firing of attorneys to the press BEFORE you have contacted the people involved? Yes or no? A very simple question, to which a simple yes or no response will do.

Can you manage that?

Oh, and Rachel Maddow? Haven't watched half an hour of her show in my entire life, as I'm not American. So I have no idea what she said on this subject.

apodino

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:17 am

All I will say about this is its been going on for way longer than any of us have been around. Abraham Lincoln fired over 1000 Federal Employees upon taking office. And he is known as arguably the greatest president we ever had.

Hillis
Topic Author

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:25 am

apodino wrote:
All I will say about this is its been going on for way longer than any of us have been around. Abraham Lincoln fired over 1000 Federal Employees upon taking office. And he is known as arguably the greatest president we ever had.

Source?

apodino

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:41 am

The source was a writing by Dr. Allen Guelzo, a civil war professor at Gettysburg College. I will try to find the exact work this was in and post it.

seb146

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:57 am

TWA772LR wrote:
seb146 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

There's a difference between being scared and not doing anything about it, than being scared and doing something about it.

We did something about it. We voted Democrat. But, the party of "Christianity" thinks their way and their holy texts are more important than our laws. That their holy text should be law. And crimes against Muslims, Jews, Latinos, LGBTQ are not given the outrage by the right they should be because "all lives matter" according to them. If "all lives matter" as they say, headstones in Jewish cemetaries would not be broken, bomb threats against Jewish and Muslim centers would not be called in, Sikhs would not be killed, LGBTQ would not be killed and beaten. Where are the "all lives matter" crowd now?

dragon-wings

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:56 am

Pyrex wrote:
Preet Bharara is just another jackass NY prosecutor with a penchant for prosecutorial misconduct, abuse of power and self promotion, in the "best" tradition of Eliot Spitzer, Eric Schneiderman, Andrew Cuomo, etc. I am sure he will just use this as another step in his political career.

He was one of the few who was trying to drain the swamp and fight financial crimes! You should read up on some of the crimes he prosecuted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preet_Bha ... stigations
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preet_Bha ... ial_crimes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preet_Bha ... corruption
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

tommy1808

Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:02 am

dragon-wings wrote:
He was one of the few who was trying to drain the swamp and fight financial crimes! You should read up on some of the crimes he prosecuted.

Those are "facts", a concept alien to Trump supporters.

best regards
Thomas

TWA772LR

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:04 am

seb146 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
seb146 wrote:

There's a difference between being scared and not doing anything about it, than being scared and doing something about it.

We did something about it. We voted Democrat. But, the party of "Christianity" thinks their way and their holy texts are more important than our laws. That their holy text should be law. And crimes against Muslims, Jews, Latinos, LGBTQ are not given the outrage by the right they should be because "all lives matter" according to them. If "all lives matter" as they say, headstones in Jewish cemetaries would not be broken, bomb threats against Jewish and Muslim centers would not be called in, Sikhs would not be killed, LGBTQ would not be killed and beaten. Where are the "all lives matter" crowd now?

You can still write your Senators and Rep. Try to make appeals to federal courts. There are ways to have your voice heard, voting is just the most widely used tool.
Eat 'em up Kats!

tommy1808

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:53 am

TWA772LR wrote:
voting is just the most widely used tool.

It is, however how much value does "voting" have if clear majority´s don´t win per election system design and foreign nations can interfere with the election with impunity.

Gruß
Thomas

dtw2hyd

Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:12 am

dragon-wings wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preet_Bha ... stigations
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preet_Bha ... ial_crimes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preet_Bha ... corruption

While he prosecuted some high profile cases, he is known as DQDA among SDNY Judges. That is for Drama Queen District Attorney. He goal was always to score a conviction of someone in each case goes after the weakest rather than real culprits.

Indian Diplomat case actually shows how much lobbying power Muslims have in the swamp (One reason Trump's travel ban went haywire). According to Indian Intelligence Agencies, South Asians in DoS and DoJ hatched up the plan, convinced Kerry to sign off on this and executed themselves. Unfortunately it didn't go according to plan. At the end a party land embassy turned into dry land, diplomats lost their jobs, all the extra perks and two Caucasians took the blame for couple of distasteful Facebook posts.

The trumped up visa fraud charges (at beast a wage theft charge) were struck down by SDNY Judge on a technicality, he wouldn't have won on visa fraud case anyway.

US lost $$Millions and bought in four disgruntled green card holders. Husband immediately divorced the maid involved in this case. Asylum, divorced family, two unhappy teenagers not assimilated to American culture, what can go wrong.

Pyrex

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:19 pm

dragon-wings wrote:

And you should read up on some of the methods he used.

He did fight financial crimes. He also trampled all over innocent people in his quest for the spotlight, stretched legal theories way past their limit and did not care what methods he used or whose lives he destroyed in the process, as long as he got his face in the media. The guy is the archetypal scumbag prosecutor and the poster child for why prosecutors should not effectively be above the law, as they are now.

http://fortune.com/david-ganek-preet-bh ... r-trading/
http://fortune.com/todd-newman-diamondb ... r-trading/
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

PhilBy

Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:21 pm

All this shows is the dependence of the US judicial service on the political incumbent. Some counties have an independent judiciary, some dont. Big deal

einsteinboricua

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:03 pm

It IS interesting, though, that Preet Bharara was responsible for levying a fine on Deutsche Bank to the tune of billions regarding a few actions by the bank...which just so happens to be the same bank with which the Trump Organization

It's also interesting that just two days after Preet Bharara was asked to investigate Trump and possible payments by foreign governments, he was fired, after both Sessions and Trump had specifically asked him to stay on. There are two upsides for Trump by having done so:
1. He removes someone who is known to show no mercy when investigating from digging too deep into his circle.
2. He gives Deutsche Bank a favor by removing the man responsible for a hefty fine (which could be leverage for Trump himself to ask the bank to forgive outstanding debt to the bank...I scratch your back, you scratch mine).

But we're supposed to believe this constitutes draining the swamp?

mham001

Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:05 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
It IS interesting, though, that Preet Bharara was responsible for levying a fine on Deutsche Bank to the tune of billions regarding a few actions by the bank...which just so happens to be the same bank with which the Trump Organization

Actually, it was $95 million, but don't let those pesky facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.

I was surprised to find out, after reading the Wikipedia page of his supposed accomplishments, and then researching further, that the prosecutions he is most known for were not exactly his. There is a claim that he got 95 convictions against Wall Street, but most of those (if not all) were from an investigation instigated by his predecessor and largely complete the day he took the post. It also appears that "95 convictions" is not 95 people, but a few people with many crimes - all related to insider trading (and interestingly, crimes largely instigated by Indians). There does not appear to a single individual conviction related to the financial meltdown of 2008 and only one bank (not Deutsche) was successfully prosecuted and fined for their involvement in that crisis. I cannot speak about the rest, I don't have time and don't really care, but the impression I get is that his largeness is more media hype than from actual results. Even the Deutsche prosecution would have stemmed from an IRS action.

einsteinboricua

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:18 am

mham001 wrote:
Actually, it was $95 million, but don't let those pesky facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.

You could have just corrected the record. I mixed up two cases here. Deutsche Bank did settle for $7.2B with the Justice Department.

Indeed, let's not get pesky facts get in the way of a good conspiracy.

seb146

Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:07 am

TWA772LR wrote:
seb146 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

You can still write your Senators and Rep. Try to make appeals to federal courts. There are ways to have your voice heard, voting is just the most widely used tool.

Again, we did that. The Supreme Court struck down DOMA. Yet, you righies keep insisting that marriage is sacred only between one man and one woman. You know: like Newt Gingrich and the human cheeto and Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly all your other right wing heroes....

But, there is the problem of trans equality and LGBTQ equality in housing and employment. There are states where two men can marry on Friday and be fired and evicted on Monday for marrying.

TWA772LR

Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:32 am

seb146 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Again, we did that. The Supreme Court struck down DOMA. Yet, you righies keep insisting that marriage is sacred only between one man and one woman. You know: like Newt Gingrich and the human cheeto and Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly all your other right wing heroes....

But, there is the problem of trans equality and LGBTQ equality in housing and employment. There are states where two men can marry on Friday and be fired and evicted on Monday for marrying.

You assume I'm right-winged when I have clearly pointed out that I'm a centralist. I'm all for same-sex marriage. You're getting falsely angry when I'm actually telling you that there are ways to use the system to have your voice heard. I'M ON YOUR SIDE!!!!!! But since you insist on being a jerk, I'm ending this conversation.
Eat 'em up Kats!