Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ken777

Re: Reevaluation of priorities

Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:42 pm

I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis but relieved that there were treatments available to attack the problem.

My better half and I have had 7 cancer diagnosis between us. I've had 4, but my wife's 2 year battle with acute leukemia was far worse than what I went through. The good news is that we are still able to get on with our lives. The wife had bi-lateral surgery last October and I had the upper lobe of my right lung removed last month. We get the surgery, chemo and or radiation, recover and start planning for another trip. (Last month I was loaded down with pain killers in the hospital, totally out of it, and the wife was checking the emails from cruise related sites. That's optimism!)

Don't be afraid of having this cancer slipping into your mind from time to time. Look for patient forums as they can provide a lot of help - and in time you can help them. You will also discover information from ongoing searching of the web. Don't let that rule your life, but learn to look from time to time.

And, like you are already doing, spend time with the family and enjoy all the pleasures that kids and a wife can bring.

NIKV69

Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:01 pm

fr8mech wrote:
So, I guess an update is in order.

Got through that little "rough" spot and continued on with my treatments. Radiation is done, and the modeling shows the mass in my neck appears to be gone, or at least greatly reduced in size. Won't know more until I get a CT and PET Scan. We should be scheduling those for this month.

Two more rounds of chemo to go, and then the waiting. 5 years of waiting until I'm cancer free, with only a 30'ish% chance of that happening. Even then, it's not really done.

I'm just starting to feel and understand the psychological effects of cancer. If I'm not careful, this thing will live in my head forever and consume me. I understand, that while going through the treatments, that's exactly what has to happen. But, later, as I return to normal life, what will that look like in my head?

I understand there is some post-treatment counseling that I will be receiving from the cancer treatment folks. Hopefully, they'll help me through those hurdles.

Personally, I think it's a good and healthy thing that I'm looking beyond the treatment and into some sense of normalcy.

And, for the record, I am pissed that I will not be able to go see U2 in a couple of weeks.

Pulling for you man!

mad99

Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:40 am

nice to hear things are going well

treetreeseven

Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:02 am

I strongly recommend a support group. Strongly. If you don't like the first one, try another, assuming there are any or more than one in your community. They can be really helpful, for the getting through it as well as for the "what will this look like in my head after" stuff.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. Good luck. :sorry:

11725Flyer

Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:06 pm

There are certain threads on the site that are "infected" by certain posters. So, I get it. Good luck, and I hope we see you back here at some point.

fr8mech
Topic Author

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:29 pm

Well, I started my last chemo session today. The side effects used to take a couple of days to kick in. Well, I was told the effects would be cumulative, and damn if they weren't right. The fatigue, that had just about faded away, came back with a vengeance. I already don't "want" to eat anything, so back to the tube full time. The nausea will be quick to follow, so back on those meds.

Of course, the good news is that this is the last treatment. Next month a PET scan and some CT's to look for progress and/or other areas of concern.

The prognosis is not really that good. Mainly because there isn't sufficient data to classify. Only 2% of cancers are my cancer. The doc indicated that if I go 2 years tumor free, I would be over the hump. At 5 years, I would be considered cured, but I would be monitored for the rest of my life. My chance of making the 2 years is roughly 30%, but again, that's based on fairly weak data.

I have 2 years of quarterly CT scans to keep an eye on things in my future.

Thanks for listening (reading).

Okie

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:05 am

Still with you Fr8. Hoping only for the best.
Here is to a good PET scan.
Thanks for keeping us updated.

Okie

WarRI1

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:18 am

fr8mech wrote:
Well, I started my last chemo session today. The side effects used to take a couple of days to kick in. Well, I was told the effects would be cumulative, and damn if they weren't right. The fatigue, that had just about faded away, came back with a vengeance. I already don't "want" to eat anything, so back to the tube full time. The nausea will be quick to follow, so back on those meds.

Of course, the good news is that this is the last treatment. Next month a PET scan and some CT's to look for progress and/or other areas of concern.

The prognosis is not really that good. Mainly because there isn't sufficient data to classify. Only 2% of cancers are my cancer. The doc indicated that if I go 2 years tumor free, I would be over the hump. At 5 years, I would be considered cured, but I would be monitored for the rest of my life. My chance of making the 2 years is roughly 30%, but again, that's based on fairly weak data.

I have 2 years of quarterly CT scans to keep an eye on things in my future.

Thanks for listening (reading).

I wish you good results with your treatments. Please feel free to keep us informed and I wish you well once again.

Klaus

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:52 am

fr8mech wrote:
Well, I started my last chemo session today.

I just looked into this thread for the first time and I just want to add my support to you, and to everybody else here struggling with their health.

Hang in there and don't lose sight of your body being less a malfunctioning machine than a friend in need who can use your encouragement and your mental support beyond the necessary medical treatment. This atttitude can't solve everything by itself, but it can help.

All the best!

golfradio

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:01 pm

Just saw your thread. Wish you all the strength to fight it. You got it right; you can't let it mess with your head. Keep doing the things that cheer you.