Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Your favourite "Mayday" episodes

Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:46 pm

Dear a.nutters,

now, having some time over Christmas, I think I'll indulge in a "Mayday" binge and plan to watch all episodes - as most of them seem to be available on youtube. :bouncy:

Until now, the episodes featuring
- the Überlingen mid-air collision
- the Air Inter A320 crash in the Vosges mountains, France
- the Air France A300 hijacking in Algers

were the most interesting to me. It's great to watch interviews, pictures and CGI, even when I already know 90% of the accidents from Wikipedia.

What are your favourite episodes?

David

alberchico

Re: Your favourite "Mayday" episodes

Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:10 pm

The very first one about the Air Transat fuel starvation is a memorable one. The best ones:

1.The Tenerife collision episode
2.The Swissair MD-11 crash episode
3. The JFK crash
4. The Aloha 243 crash
5.The Concorde crash

Mortyman

Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:04 am

The Aloha 243 crash
Partnair Flight 394
Air France A300 hijacking in Algers
British Airways Flight 9
Gimli Glider
Northwest Airlines Flight 85

777Jet

Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:08 am

Tough question...

EgyptAir 990
UPS 6
SwissAir 111
United 811
MH370 (I find it a bit odd that an episode was made about a flight that is still missing almost 3 years later yet there is not an episode on the other MH 777 incident that happened just months later in which there was the wreckage and obvious cause - MH17)...

I could list other episodes, but I probably enjoy at least half of them so it would be a long list :D

For those who mentioned the Air France A300 hijacking in Algers; the footage of when authorities stormed the plane was just awesome!

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:32 am

The A300 hijacking... yes, the footage was very chilling. Truly an important document in TV history.

Swissair 111 seems to rank high. The effort to solve the puzzle was tremendous.

From the few episodes I've yet seen, I much like "Mayday". The US habit of flash-flash-flash (fast cuts, repeating imagery, like we're either totally forgetful or suffering from ADD) is a bit distracting for me. One thing that struck me was that they very often have a 2 + 3 + x seating in their planes - no matter if they show the interiors of a 320, 737 or a DC-9. And the crash scenes are a bit laughable, as the NTSB is searching the wreckage while there are still fires blazing - with firefighters calmly walking around, with fire extinguishers in their hands! :cry2:

David

ElliottM

Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:28 am

TBH I like this show too, I think for the most part it's very well done. It is pretty accurate - at least it seems to be with the incidents I know well. In cases where I've read the full report, the episode matches the report pretty closely, perhaps leaving out small details.

My favorite is probably the Air Transat 236 one, the A330 fuel exhaustion incident. It was one of the first episodes I watched and I remember being at the edge of my seat even though I knew what happened already. I've been hooked ever since!

Also, I can only speculate, but I think they did MH370 only because the incident is popular and it'll get ratings (viewers)... They usually don't cover accidents or incidents that haven't already been concluded (published report).

PanzerPowner

Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:52 am

Philippine Airlines 434, cause Philippine Airlines... B747-200... Japan... Manila... Cebu... No bias here.

AM744

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:33 pm

The Qantas A380 that blew an engine. I didn't remember the cause when I saw the episode. BTW. Love the show.

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:24 pm

Returning back to this thread... until now I've watched 40 episodes, and I've annoted each of them with a short comment (what I liked about the storytelling, the investigation, what I learned about aviation...). Some episodes are pretty lame (like S11E02, "The plane the flew too high"), where the female investigator from that South American country is just standing or walking around. Or "Dead Weight" (S05E05), where about 40% of the episode were spent explaining airworthiness directives.

My favourite episodes, until now:
- Lockerbie Disaster, S07E02
- Fatal Delivery (UPS 6), S15E04
- Behind Closed Doors (DC-10 cargo door issues), S05E03

Sometimes, accidents were pretty minor and utterly forgettable, but the storytelling by the "Mayday" writers is astounding - for example Partnair Flight 394 ("Blown Apart", S07E03). In other cases, I know the accident pretty well (either from Wikipedia, books, or a.nut discussions), but "Mayday" manages to make me have a second look at the disaster, without causing any boredom.

David

afterburner

Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:04 am

My favorite episode is "The Plane that Vanished" (Adam Air 574). I know three of the people interviewed in the episode. Two are my friends and the third one is my neighbor who lives only two houses away from mine. One of the friends is also a member here.

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:45 pm

afterburner wrote:
One of the friends is also a member here.

Hmmmm! I have an idea...

David

VapourTrails

Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:39 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AGWB3pkiDI, S10 E02 The Heathrow Enigma British Airways Flight 38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6s7ODq3cOM, US Airways Flight 1549 New York City Hudson River Crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPY5hCaUa1M, S01 06 Flying on Empty Air Transat Flight 236

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6xgawD6BEg, Falling from the Sky British Airways Flight 09 volcanic ash and St Elmos fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GEVqCUUGV4, S13 E10 Qantas Flight 32 Titanic in the Sky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aUPPVobjf4, S05 02 Gimli Glider Air Canada Flight 143

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2a5HsTV7Rw, S05E09 Fatal Distraction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30UiJvNgW-4, Fatal Flight 447 Chaos in the Cockpit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmS_fiVNBBc, S13E01 Fight To The Death

Reasons for choices: survival rates, airmanship, intriguing investigations, revelations and lessons learned, history.

:airplane:

I also like the specials. e.g. 17 June 2009, "Cruel Skies".

Southern Airways Flight 242
Delta Air Lines Flight 191
American Airlines Flight 1420
British Airways Flight 9

This special looked at the role of bad weather in disasters and examines the US Aviation Weather Center in Kansas City, Missouri, to see how information on weather is transmitted to pilots in the sky. (Source: Wikipedia, 2017).

Revelation

Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:21 am

flyingturtle wrote:
Dear a.nutters,

now, having some time over Christmas, I think I'll indulge in a "Mayday" binge and plan to watch all episodes - as most of them seem to be available on youtube. :bouncy:

Until now, the episodes featuring
- the Überlingen mid-air collision
- the Air Inter A320 crash in the Vosges mountains, France
- the Air France A300 hijacking in Algers

were the most interesting to me. It's great to watch interviews, pictures and CGI, even when I already know 90% of the accidents from Wikipedia.

What are your favourite episodes?

David

Not sure I have a favorite episode and definitely sure I couldn't go on a "binge" watching 90+ episodes over a holiday, because so many are so disturbing. I hate seeing the burnt out hulls and debris fields and knowing there's human remains in there, and that people died in many cases when their deaths were quite avoidable.

If we want to flip the topic and discuss the most disturbing 'Mayday' episodes, I vote for the ones where the local citizens react to the crash by pillaging the crash site. Oh yeah, we can add in any episode that had direct or indirect references to cannibalism. Talk about reality TV!

I think I'll go watch some meditation videos now...

vfw614

Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:37 pm

Wow, 144 episodes and counting. Must be the best-hated TV series when it comes to airline marketing executives...

I am wondering if they will run out of material sooner than later - must be getting harder and harder to identify accidents that can be turned into a 45 minute story.

M564038

Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:13 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
Returning back to this thread... until now I've watched 40 episodes, and I've annoted each of them with a short comment (what I liked about the storytelling, the investigation, what I learned about aviation...). Some episodes are pretty lame (like S11E02, "The plane the flew too high"), where the female investigator from that South American country is just standing or walking around. Or "Dead Weight" (S05E05), where about 40% of the episode were spent explaining airworthiness directives.

My favourite episodes, until now:
- Lockerbie Disaster, S07E02
- Fatal Delivery (UPS 6), S15E04
- Behind Closed Doors (DC-10 cargo door issues), S05E03

Sometimes, accidents were pretty minor and utterly forgettable, but the storytelling by the "Mayday" writers is astounding - for example Partnair Flight 394 ("Blown Apart", S07E03). In other cases, I know the accident pretty well (either from Wikipedia, books, or a.nut discussions), but "Mayday" manages to make me have a second look at the disaster, without causing any boredom.

David

How on earth would that be a forgettable air accident?
Here is a few reasons this was everything but a forgettable accident:

-Largest accident in that country.
-conspiracy theories abound because of the big money/shipping connections on the part of the passengers, and their involvement in shipping during the iran/iraq war.
-conspiracy theories about a cover-up because the aircraft had a "close call" with a F 16 shortly before the accident.
-conspiracy theories connected to the fact that the aircraft had been formerly chartered by the prime minister.
-conspiracy theories connected to speculation about an international problem with coonterfeit parts, which turned out to be true, and made big changes in aviation.
-The owner being in acute money-problems, making the pilots pay for fuel before take-off. Possibly connected to the prior.
-the peculiar case of an air crash 2 months prior caused by mechanical failure, never being fully explained because the mechanic signing off on the broken part, was the same mechanic that were on the Partnair flight responsible for the running APU, and thus perished and not being able to witness in the previous case.

Surely not forgettable!