Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetwet1
Topic Author

Alfa Romeo Giulia

Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:19 pm

As some may remember, i am in the process of looking for a new daily driver, I had narrowed it down to a Chevy SS or Genesis G80, however, this morning I stumbled across the Giulia and my god, I am in love.

As Clarkson says, everyone should own at least one Alfa in their lifetime, I had a Sud, probably the only Alfa in it's time that didn't breakdown every 10 miles, so i got lucky, but, after that, Ala's were, well crap.

My local dealerships don't have the Giulia in stock yet, I am wondering if anyone has bought one ? Or driven one yet ?

Dreadnought

Re: Alfa Romeo Giulia

Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:51 pm

I agree, it's a stunning car, the best looking Alfa in a long time (apart from the 8C which was a limited production hyper-expensive thing). The Quadrifoglio is too expensive, but I may well buy the V-6 version. About the same price as a BMW but much nicer. I am still uncertain about their build quality and service network in the US, but if that works out I may well buy one next year.

Aesma

Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:17 pm

The 2 other cars you mention have extremely boring looks, are you looking for a sleeper ?

Are you looking at the base model Giulia, the Veloce, or the Quadrifoglio ?

I'm excited that finally Alfa Romeo is making a rear-wheel drive car again, outside of sports cars.

jetwet1
Topic Author

Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:35 pm

I like the sleeper look.

I'm thinking the Ti, I agree with Dreadnought, the Quadrifoglio is just to much money for what it is and with the performance of the Ti already being pretty good spending an extra $30k just doesn't add up.

Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:43 pm

Take a look at the Autogefühl review:

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/329-2 ... &_k=kx2cpa

Very comprehensive.

Siren

Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:56 pm

jetwet: Oh my, you have fantastic taste in cars. The Giulia is currently sitting at the very top of my list of "cars I want", and has displaced the Maserati Ghibli from that spot, and moved it down to #3. Chevy SS is still in my #2 slot.

I had an Alfa GTV6 at one point, so I officially pass the Jeremy Clarkson "petrolhead" test, but I wouldn't mind owning another. My E55 AMG is getting quite old (13 years, 140k miles), and I've been looking more and more toward newer vehicles for replacement.

One car I took a look at, and am very strongly considering - is the Cadillac ATS-V. I didn't think I'd like it, but my word, what an incredible engine and chassis. It's as good as the current C63 AMG and M3. Easily. And it's much cheaper too. I haven't driven a new CTS-V, but I don't like the bigger body and chassis of the new generation. I'm considering picking up one of the previous generation CTS-Vs - that way somebody else can take the depreciation hit and I can have another Supercharged V8, which is what I really want in my life...

But... a Giulia is a sexy proposition. Might make me want to ditch the whole "Turbocharged or Supercharged V8" requirement I usually place on my cars...

I don't think you could go wrong with one. BUT remember that depreciation will be very steep, so unless you plan to own it for 10+ years or so, it isn't a good investment.

JJJ

Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:25 pm

Siren wrote:

I don't think you could go wrong with one. BUT remember that depreciation will be very steep, so unless you plan to own it for 10+ years or so, it isn't a good investment.

It's true that previous alfas have depreciated like a stone, but everything from the Mito to onwards holds its value as much as comparable German offerings.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giu ... rised.html

usflyer msp

Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:37 pm

It looks like a nice car but I would not take any Chrysler/Fiat/Alfa Romeo vehicle at this point, even if it were free. They are just too unreliable...

Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:24 am

Siren wrote:
jetwet: Oh my, you have fantastic taste in cars. The Giulia is currently sitting at the very top of my list of "cars I want", and has displaced the Maserati Ghibli from that spot, and moved it down to #3. Chevy SS is still in my #2 slot.

I had an Alfa GTV6 at one point, so I officially pass the Jeremy Clarkson "petrolhead" test, but I wouldn't mind owning another. My E55 AMG is getting quite old (13 years, 140k miles), and I've been looking more and more toward newer vehicles for replacement.

One car I took a look at, and am very strongly considering - is the Cadillac ATS-V. I didn't think I'd like it, but my word, what an incredible engine and chassis. It's as good as the current C63 AMG and M3. Easily. And it's much cheaper too. I haven't driven a new CTS-V, but I don't like the bigger body and chassis of the new generation. I'm considering picking up one of the previous generation CTS-Vs - that way somebody else can take the depreciation hit and I can have another Supercharged V8, which is what I really want in my life...

But... a Giulia is a sexy proposition. Might make me want to ditch the whole "Turbocharged or Supercharged V8" requirement I usually place on my cars...

I don't think you even need a top of the range Giulia. Even a Giulia Super with the diesel engine or the four cylinder petrol turbo would be more than enough. The petrol turbo basic model apparently does 0-100km/h (62mph) in 6.2 seconds, and that's not too bad. Sure the Quadrifoglio does the same 0-100km/h in 3.9 seconds and does over 300km/h, but it's expensive too and insurance costs will be insane.

I love the Giulia, best new sedan in ages.

jetwet1
Topic Author

Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:08 am

Siren wrote:

Thank you.

I looked at Caddy's and they just didn't do it for me, a friend has the last generation CTS-V and loves it, I drove it and yes it is pwerful, yes it is quick, but there was something missing there for me, I couldn't tell you what it is, but it just didn't do it for me.

When it comes to depreciation, the next car will be a lease, I am finding that after 3 years or so I want something different, so I will lease it for 3 years, if I like it after that I will look at buying it, or leasing a new one.

cpd wrote:
I don't think you even need a top of the range Giulia. Even a Giulia Super with the diesel engine or the four cylinder petrol turbo would be more than enough. The petrol turbo basic model apparently does 0-100km/h (62mph) in 6.2 seconds, and that's not too bad. Sure the Quadrifoglio does the same 0-100km/h in 3.9 seconds and does over 300km/h, but it's expensive too and insurance costs will be insane.

I love the Giulia, best new sedan in ages.

I wouldn't go for the Quadrifoglio, I just can't justify the extra $30k for a 1.3 sec 0-60 time and a top speed that I won't go near, plus my Phaeton will go faster lol

Alfa is saying the Ti will do 0-60 in 5.1, that's plenty quick enough for me.

Amazingly the wife actually likes the look of this car, something that took the Taurus SHO out of the running, i'm going to go chat with a dealership on Monday, see when they are expecting delivers

The one thing I have noticed from the pictures I have found is that the lighter color interiors seem to look a lot better, the tan leather looks fantastic. .

na

Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:24 pm

The Giulia seems to be a very competent car. Tests are enthusiastic, but, as an (most of the time happy) Alfista for 25 years I am not so overwhelmed by its looks. The Giulia is certainly among the very best looking in its class (the only other would be the Jaguar XE for me), but "she" doesnt stand out as much as its predecessors did. In their time, a 164 or a 156 had more class when it came to design. The Giulia borrows too many details from the competition here. A bit BMW 3-series here, a bit from whatever there. From the technical side, however, the Giulia seems to be spot on, more than anything the brand built since the 1960s. Lets face it, true individuality in the middle class car market is a thing of the past, after brands like Lancia or Saab are dead and Alfa became more restricted. I´ll be going for a Giulia test ride with the basic petrol version soon. For a daily driver thats absolutely enough to replace my long time (and very reliable!) 159 Sportwagon.

na

Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:42 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
The one thing I have noticed from the pictures I have found is that the lighter color interiors seem to look a lot better, the tan leather looks fantastic.

Absolutely. I have had a seat in a Giulia with tan leather and its very beautiful (beside the fact that my weekend car has tan leather interior as well and its the prettiest I ever had;-). For the brave, red also fits well. Dont go for plain black inside, which hides the elegant, yet simple interior design and makes it look cheaper. I am living close to Germany´s Alfa HQ and have seen many Giulias this year, most in unfortunate color combinantions. I dont know the US specs, but dont go for white paint, as it doesnt do the car a favor at all. Dont be fooled by the mostly very timid colors dealers choose for their exhibition. The Giulia looks best in these three paints: Rosso Monza (a strong, darker red), Blue Montecarlo (a vibrant, sporty blue), and Titanio Imola (a brownish grey metallic which works perfectly with tan interior).

jetwet1
Topic Author

Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Thank you for your replies, I have to agree with you, from the limited pictures I have seen this is certainly a car that needs o be a "bold" color, the Rosso Monza with tan interior looks to be a winner IMHO, once I get to see the car in the flesh I am sure this feeling will be confirmed.

Flighty

Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:11 pm

My family member is looking at a new E class in the next few weeks. I will encourage him to drive the Alfa. The new 4 cylinder engine looks great.

The delays getting the Alfa product to market have been unbelievable. Year upon year of delays, and the 2017 model line is STILL not for sale as far as I know.

jetwet1
Topic Author

Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:15 am

Well I did it, ordered a Quadrifoglio, I was going to go for the Ti, but honestly, dear god that is a nice car to drive.There is one issue with it, if you've seen Clarkson's peice on the Grand Tour, I agree, it's a little tight getting in and out of the thing, but, the rest of the package more than makes up for that.

Dreadnought

Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:12 am

jetwet1 wrote:
Well I did it, ordered a Quadrifoglio, I was going to go for the Ti, but honestly, dear god that is a nice car to drive.There is one issue with it, if you've seen Clarkson's peice on the Grand Tour, I agree, it's a little tight getting in and out of the thing, but, the rest of the package more than makes up for that.

Congratulations! Let us know your experience. It is terrific news that Alfa Romeo, one of the most legendary names in automotive history, is coming back to the US. I really hope it works for them.

Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:29 am

jetwet1 wrote:

I don't know what Clarkson said or didn't say. But I do know that the Giulia QV is a really fast car on track and seemingly the entire range has better quality than before, but not quite at the Audi level. I'll bet you'll find it is a lot quicker than your Phaeton everywhere. :D

Aesma

Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:52 pm

Audi is boring.

At least you shouldn't get Trump's 30% tax by ordering now !

mham001

Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:50 pm

cpd wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
I don't know what Clarkson said or didn't say. But I do know that the Giulia QV is a really fast car on track and seemingly the entire range has better quality than before, but not quite at the Audi level. I'll bet you'll find it is a lot quicker than your Phaeton everywhere. :D

I don't know about a Phaeton but it did place just above a Honda Civic on their time board.

jetwet1
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:59 am

cpd wrote:

Clarkson (and I) say the B pillar needs to be back a couple of inches, if you are on the tall side getting in and out of the thing is a squeeze, normally this annoys me (having the B pillar block my view on the left) but in this case it didn't, no idea how the crazy Italians managed that.

mham001 wrote:

I don't know about a Phaeton but it did place just above a Honda Civic on their time board.

He's referring to the fact that a few years ago I picked up a Phaeton, love that car, but now that the warranty is about to run out and I have seen some bills for repairs, it's time for it to go, so it got traded in on the Alfa, but, it's a great car, maybe the best highway cruiser i've owned (I would rank it with the 500E Merc) and in some ways it will be missed.

ANITIX87

Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:12 pm

Are you in the USA? I thought the QF wasn't available yet.

I've already decided that my next car will be the Guilia QF, but I just need to save up about 40K....anyone want to donate?

jetwet1
Topic Author

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:48 pm

ANITIX87 wrote:
Are you in the USA? I thought the QF wasn't available yet.

I've already decided that my next car will be the Guilia QF, but I just need to save up about 40K....anyone want to donate?

Yes, I am in Las Vegas, they are just starting to trickle in, I got to test drive one which belonged to the dealerships owners wife, so yes I had to be extra nice with it, I am waiting for a delivery date, but they figured it would be 4-6 months.

The QF's are coming first, followed by the Ti's, it seems that Alfa manged to create a good deal of positive press about the car, then had nothing to sell, stupid IMHO, but that's noting abnormal for Alfa.

jetwet1
Topic Author

Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:17 am

I've now had it a couple of months, amazingly for an Alfa, it's been pretty much trouble free, it's suffered from a small issue that seems to be semi common with them and according to the dealership Alfa is working on a fix. That problem would be, the passenger side cover for the headlight washer keeps coming off, probably once every couple of weeks I arrive where ever I am going minus the cover.

The dealership is being proactive, they ordered a bunch of replacements to cover the colours of any cars they sell, just swing by and the install it, takes a minute to do, it's semi annoying, but as I said, it's an Alfa, if that's the worst issue I am happy.

Anyways, the car itself....

I love the thing, so comfortable, refined and the performance...Yeah, I did change the tires on it, the ones it come with are super sticky, but they give up tread life to get there, I put P zero's on it, 99% of the grip for 3 times the tread life, they also run quieter.

The thing that amazes me is the reaction it gets just driving around town, for the first time in my life I am one of the cool kids lmao. I get comments at stop lights, hell I got pulled over, the cop wanted to see the engine.

The real test here in Vegas is what the valets do with the car, mine gets parked right out front.

Would I recommend one, if you have the means and are in the market for an M3 type car then yes, give the Alfa a look.

Dutchy

Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:30 am

Thanks for the update. Any self-respecting car-nut should own an Alfa at least ones. :checkmark:

oldannyboy

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:22 am

Good choice man. Love the Giulia. It's a sexy beast, but also very "driveable" and comfortable. It's one of the few cars out there to have not only the wow factor, but also some soul... Yes, it's an Alfa, and it shows in many ways. Plus it sounds amazing...
Over here the new Giulias are beginning to be very sought after, even though most people will opt for the 4-pot turbodiesel (which, to my surprise is actually a delight to drive, and VERY quick too). Good to see that reliability is also considered excellent in the most recent reports, where the interior finishing is also commended (the stitched leather seats are a thing of pure craftsmanship and beauty).

Channex757

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:03 pm

It's great to see a manufacturer suddenly appear to get their stuff together and take the quality thing up a notch. Jaguar did it, and now all the motoring press seems to be in love with Alfa Romeo again. Great names now competing with the German brands again.

The other new Alfa, the Stelvio SUV, is also getting rave reviews. Naturally as it's built on the Giulia platform with lots of commonality with that model.

jetwet1
Topic Author

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:08 pm

Couldn't agree more.

We looked at the Stelvio, but when it came down to it, we could not justify buying another new car right now, from the reports i've watched it seems well liked.

Channex757

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:09 pm

Channex757 wrote:
It's great to see a manufacturer suddenly appear to get their stuff together and take the quality thing up a notch. Jaguar did it, and now all the motoring press seems to be in love with Alfa Romeo again. Great names now competing with the German brands again.

The other new Alfa, the Stelvio SUV, is also getting rave reviews. Naturally as it's built on the Giulia platform with lots of commonality with that model.

Update: Salomondrin on YouTube did an episode today where they took a Giulia out from O'Gara Coach in Westlake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYQOfdG5cRE

Dano1977

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:15 pm

I hope Alfa has improved its build quality...

WildcatYXU

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:45 pm

Fortunately for me, it looks lie the Quadrifoglio comes only with an automatic transmission in Canada. That means I won't buy a car I can't really afford...

Flighty

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:53 pm

I sat in a Giulia. Nice enough car. I wouldn't pay 40k for it, but maybe 16k in a few years.

I just like taking old cars and detailing / maintaining them with slight upgrades. To purchase new cars still makes me think, why am I spending this money when something equally fun costs very little on craigslist? While many lemons are out there, many "lemons" are also sound cars with like 1 problem that people failed to diagnose.

If you detail a sharp looking car or truck, and this never fails, people ask "Is this new?" So what are you really buying?

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:00 am

WildcatYXU wrote:
Fortunately for me, it looks lie the Quadrifoglio comes only with an automatic transmission in Canada. That means I won't buy a car I can't really afford...

It certainly is the better transmission to go for out of the ones available.

WildcatYXU

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:28 am

cpd wrote:

Which? The automatic? Why would be the automatic better in a sport sedan? Especially for a driver who hates automatics? And no, don't start with the average shifting times.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:52 am

WildcatYXU wrote:
cpd wrote:

Which? The automatic? Why would be the automatic better in a sport sedan? Especially for a driver who hates automatics? And no, don't start with the average shifting times.

We know the automatic is the quicker car, but it's also the one that is easier to live with all the time. The manual is also not one of the better ones, so it might disappoint in that regard.

Still, we shouldn't complain, it could have easily been a front wheel drive sedan like the pretty but flawed 159.

WildcatYXU

Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:10 am

=
cpd wrote:

We know the automatic is the quicker car, but it's also the one that is easier to live with all the time. The manual is also not one fractions of the better ones, so it might disappoint in that regard.

Well, I believe the manual would be fast enough for driving around our nanny province. And as I said, I hate automatics. And I also believe that if I should pay for a car $97k plus, it has to have what I want. So, the automatic - and therefore the Giulia is a no go. I'm a bit disappointed, but at least I won't do the dumbest purchase of my life. Not that the one I'm planning isn't dumb enough.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:26 am

WildcatYXU wrote:

Well, I believe the manual would be fast enough for driving around our nanny province.

Not the speed, but the shift quality is apparently not so good. But, we should consider ourselves lucky, we could have had another front-wheel-drive machine with super-model looks and sleepy driving qualities.

Channex757

Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:18 pm

Given the choice (assuming it's a quality box) I prefer the semi-automatics nowadays. I first got used to paddles driving a Citroen of all things, and found that after that car I missed the flappy paddles.

A little while later I tried a VW Golf with its DSG gearbox and that was very nice. Add stop-start to the mix and it sipped fuel. The various VAG brands and Ford seem to have their mass market automatic versions well sorted at the moment, and Fiat's brands must be benefitting from their performance divisions as their Alfas with the auto box is getting the good press too where it counts.

Doug DeMuro was certainly impressed by the Giulia he drove.